Dem bicicletas dos, doe.

Health, fitness, and nutrition freaks, lets see those gainz.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Hooptie Crotchfruit Carrier

D Griff wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 9:14 pm Yeah man that is a lot of money… I ride one bike or another pretty much every day and still don’t know that I could justify it. I guess I’m just not someone who needs the best stuff though, good enough is enough for me in most cases.
It's an insane amount of money, and I think I'd be just as happy on a hardtail that costs less than half of that. But even that would be stupid considering how little I ride. I'll demo/rent bikes when I get the chance but otherwise I'll just have to be okay with not having a MTB any time soon. :ohwell:

At least with as much as you're on a bike you could justify dropping the coin if it was for something you were really into.
fledonfoot
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Taco Truk | Power Wheels Heep

I’ll tell you what… the Ripmo is a monster bike and is probably overkill on the trails in my area, but I plan to be back at the bike parks next year.

I’ve noticed with my initial mileage that suspension setup is vital with this thing. Just a touch too soft and slow and the bike magnifies the slow, lazy, heavy feeling.

I’ve started to get this thing dialed in and it’s really coming alive as a playful, poppy “inflatable couch”.

I just bought a ShockWiz to dial it in further.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

As this weekend will likely be one of the last that is warm enough for mountain riding, did some bike shit yesterday. It was way prettier than the pictures indicate, the leaves were starting to change, fog burned off over the mountains over the morning, epic views, fun descents, and just an awesome ride on the Blue Ridge Parkway with a couple of good dudes. This is what the Skyline Drive ride with [user not found] and my friend Matt should've been :lolol:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

D Griff wrote: Sun Oct 03, 2021 6:55 am As this weekend will likely be one of the last that is warm enough for mountain riding, did some bike shit yesterday. It was way prettier than the pictures indicate, the leaves were starting to change, fog burned off over the mountains over the morning, epic views, fun descents, and just an awesome ride on the Blue Ridge Parkway with a couple of good dudes. This is what the Skyline Drive ride with [user not found] and my friend Matt should've been :lolol:
Very cool. Looks like you had a good time. Great to see!

Also, :jelly:
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

[user not found] wrote: Sun Oct 03, 2021 11:06 pm
D Griff wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 3:25 pm

Yeah, I went for 65 front 70 rear or so based on what I read, previous was ~80/85. Don't get me :wrong: , the improvement in ride quality is very noticeable, I just don't really care about that all that much I guess.

I am doing a century in the mountains on Saturday, so it'll be interesting to see if a nice ride reduces fatigue over a six hour or so span in the saddle.

I also bought those Fizik shoes and hate them, they hurt my feet like crazy, mostly my inside just below the ankles. I think I'm going to try to return and get Shimanos. I wanted to give them a fair shakedown so I've ridden like 150ish miles in them, I'll be curious to see if they take them back.
Fizik shoes run narrow, go back to Shimano.
It's funny because my feet are narrow and I had to tighten them down pretty much all the way... they were still not that tight on me other than just killing my ankles. I'm returning them, thanks Amazon.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

[user not found] wrote: Sun Oct 03, 2021 11:04 pm
D Griff wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 3:03 pm Man... looking at Sora for the Raleigh and the damn STI shifters are like $200-300... :disgust: I will probably pull the trigger anyway because :aintcare:

I rode last night and this AM on my new tubeless setup on the Ribble (Conti GP5000TL in 28 mm). I was able to seat the tires easily with a regular floor pump, all in all it was easy. Ride quality is definitely better. It doesn't feel any faster or anything like that to me. :iono: so far I'd say :thisisfine: with or without tubes on a road bike.
It'll probably feel slower because your tires are now more supple without the added stiffness of the tubes + tires. But they'll absorb bumps better, less energy wasted on absorbing bumps, less weight, more comfort, better grip, etc.

Plus added puncture protection.
I don't think I'm actually any appreciably different in speed, but :thisisfine: The added ride quality is nice. Parts of my parkway ride (VA) had sort of crappy surfaces that would've been buzzy and full of vibrations and it soaks that stuff up really well.

Hit some trails at the USNWC this morning. I think it had been 3-4 weeks since I was on the MTB as I was trying to get as many miles in in September as possible. It took a few miles to get into a groove but it was 5/7, great weather, that touch of color change in the trees, empty trails, just me and my Whorbea sending it.
Johnny_P
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue short bus

Anyone have seat time on a Ripley AF?
Johnny_P

Ripley is the more XC bike, Ripmo is the bigger travel enduro send sled.

Trying to be honest with myself, the one that leans to XC / pedaly riding is probably the best fit.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Johnny_P wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 10:55 pm Ripley is the more XC bike, Ripmo is the bigger travel enduro send sled.

Trying to be honest with myself, the one that leans to XC / pedaly riding is probably the best fit.
Really the Exie is their XC bike. The Ripley is more their do-it-most short travel trail bike. It probably would be pretty perfect for where you are. Unless you're in place with really chunky high speed stuff regularly, the Ripley is probably my the better choice than the Ripmo.
fledonfoot
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Johnny_P wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 10:55 pm Ripley is the more XC bike, Ripmo is the bigger travel enduro send sled.

Ripmo is technically a long travel trail bike :rolleyes: but it climbs amazingly well for what it is. It's total overkill for the trails around here but still a ton of fun and will be a riot at the bike parks.

Come ride it.

The Exie is a pure XC machine. The Ripley is a XC/trail bike and the Mojo is the all mountain 27.5 bike. The RipMo is a 29" long trail bike designed to be a mesh of both bikes on steroids.
Johnny_P

fledonfoot wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 2:53 pm

Ripmo is technically a long travel trail bike :rolleyes: but it climbs amazingly well for what it is. It's total overkill for the trails around here but still a ton of fun and will be a riot at the bike parks.

Come ride it.

The Exie is a pure XC machine. The Ripley is a XC/trail bike and the Mojo is the all mountain 27.5 bike. The RipMo is a 29" long trail bike designed to be a mesh of both bikes on steroids.
Oh I’m sure it’s a blast. The best bike I’ve ridden so far was the Pivot Mach 5.5, a 27.5 bike with 160 front 140 rear travel. The travel was overkill for the trails but the thing was so much fun. I imagine the ripmo would feel similar.

What size is yours?
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Y'all are making me want a new mountain bike for no reason :lolol:

I did have a blast on the trails Monday and Tuesday though. I had a goal of riding 5K outdoor miles this year. I'm currently sitting at 4400 so I think I'll hit that with ease, so I'm just going to focus on having fun, hitting the trails when I can and focus less on the numbers for the remainder of the year.

It's a drag that I have to drive to the best trails in the area, but :ohwell:
fledonfoot
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Johnny_P wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 3:44 pm
fledonfoot wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 2:53 pm

Come ride it.

Oh I’m sure it’s a blast. The best bike I’ve ridden so far was the Pivot Mach 5.5, a 27.5 bike with 160 front 140 rear travel. The travel was overkill for the trails but the thing was so much fun. I imagine the ripmo would feel similar.

What size is yours?
Large.
fledonfoot
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

D Griff wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 4:19 pm Y'all are making me want a new mountain bike for no reason :lolol:

I did have a blast on the trails Monday and Tuesday though. I had a goal of riding 5K outdoor miles this year. I'm currently sitting at 4400 so I think I'll hit that with ease, so I'm just going to focus on having fun, hitting the trails when I can and focus less on the numbers for the remainder of the year.

It's a drag that I have to drive to the best trails in the area, but :ohwell:
There’s always a reason.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

I got my Claris groupset in :excited: :scrooge:

Everything looks to be in great shape, :notbad: , $150 shipped for brifters, derailleurs, cassette, chain, bottom bracket, and brake calipers. I won’t use the front derailleur and possibly not the bottom bracket and calipers, but I’m still pretty pleased with the :dill: , should work nicely on the Raleigh. Time to start disassembly shortly!
troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Trek Domane

D Griff wrote:I got my Claris groupset in :excited: :scrooge:

Everything looks to be in great shape, :notbad: , $150 shipped for brifters, derailleurs, cassette, chain, bottom bracket, and brake calipers. I won’t use the front derailleur and possibly not the bottom bracket and calipers, but I’m still pretty pleased with the :dill: , should work nicely on the Raleigh. Time to start disassembly shortly!
:notbad:

I almost went to get that crangslist Claris group for you from here but it was still about 3 hrs round trip to drive, you probably were better off getting the one you bought.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

troyguitar wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 9:00 pm
D Griff wrote:I got my Claris groupset in :excited: :scrooge:

:notbad:

I almost went to get that crangslist Claris group for you from here but it was still about 3 hrs round trip to drive, you probably were better off getting the one you bought.
This was three hours round trip as well, fortunately he was willing to ship. Curious to see what the shifting is like compared to 2020 105. Probably the same :lolol:
troyguitar
Drives: Trek Domane

D Griff wrote:
troyguitar wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 9:00 pm :notbad:

This was three hours round trip as well, fortunately he was willing to ship. Curious to see what the shifting is like compared to 2020 105. Probably the same Imageol:
Did you get R2000 or 2400? I've actually had both and can't really tell a difference in the rear shifting. The front shifting is noticeably better on the 11 speed stuff (and 10 speed tiagra/grx), but :whocares: on 1x.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

[user not found] wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 8:22 pm
coogles wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 6:08 am

Really the Exie is their XC bike. The Ripley is more their do-it-most short travel trail bike. It probably would be pretty perfect for where you are. Unless you're in place with really chunky high speed stuff regularly, the Ripley is probably my the better choice than the Ripmo.
Sounds like my Occam, honestly.

And :wasteful: liked that when he rode it.
The new Occam is closer to an Enduro bike, but to yours, yeah it's probably pretty similar but with a steeper seat tube, slacker head tube, and a longer reach. Go up the hill like an XC bike, go down the hill closer to an enduro bike. The Ripley AF has a 1* slacker head tube too (65.5*), which is definitely more on the trail side than the XC side of things.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

coogles wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 9:18 pm
[user not found] wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 8:22 pm

Sounds like my Occam, honestly.

And :wasteful: liked that when he rode it.
The new Occam is closer to an Enduro bike, but to yours, yeah it's probably pretty similar but with a steeper seat tube, slacker head tube, and a longer reach. Go up the hill like an XC bike, go down the hill closer to an enduro bike. The Ripley AF has a 1* slacker head tube too (65.5*), which is definitely more on the trail side than the XC side of things.
Man... mountain bike terminology may as well be Latin to me and I've been riding for 15 years :lolol:

I should find a demo day sometime and try some different things, but I doubt they have those anymore. They used to bring dozens of bikes to local trails you could just go take for a rip.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

D Griff wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 10:00 amMan... mountain bike terminology may as well be Latin to me and I've been riding for 15 years :lolol:

I should find a demo day sometime and try some different things, but I doubt they have those anymore. They used to bring dozens of bikes to local trails you could just go take for a rip.
I spend more time listening to YouTube bike reviews than I get to spend actually on a bike. You're not the one doing it wrong.

But yes, you should definitely demo some shit and see what you jive with in the real world.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

coogles wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 10:35 am
D Griff wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 10:00 amMan... mountain bike terminology may as well be Latin to me and I've been riding for 15 years :lolol:

I spend more time listening to YouTube bike reviews than I get to spend actually on a bike. You're not the one doing it wrong.

But yes, you should definitely demo some shit and see what you jive with in the real world.
I am probably right where I need to be on an XC bike but I'm curious if I would enjoy technical shit more on something different.

Clipping in has really made a world of difference with feeling comfortable over some other terrains. I am pretty stoked on that and regret thinking it wasn't for me on trails until a month ago.
Johnny_P

Shops around me didn’t stock anything pre covid when bikes were available. I guess it’s possible to find a shop with a Giant Trance or a Specialized Stunpjumper or something but that’s probably it.

Just like cars, buying it is the worst part.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Johnny_P wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 11:12 am Shops around me didn’t stock anything pre covid when bikes were available. I guess it’s possible to find a shop with a Giant Trance or a Specialized Stunpjumper or something but that’s probably it.

There used to be a big MTB festival at Brown County State Park every fall prior to COVID and they'd have probably ~10 different manufacturers bring in demo fleets and you could ride anything you wanted. It was amazing, and also how I chose the Trance. Unfortunately the trails there were much more suited to the Trance than the ones here within 30 minutes of my house, but something like that is 100% necessary to actually buy the right bike unless you're a YouTuber who does reviews and gets loaners all the time.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

coogles wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 11:55 am
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 11:12 am Shops around me didn’t stock anything pre covid when bikes were available. I guess it’s possible to find a shop with a Giant Trance or a Specialized Stunpjumper or something but that’s probably it.

There used to be a big MTB festival at Brown County State Park every fall prior to COVID and they'd have probably ~10 different manufacturers bring in demo fleets and you could ride anything you wanted. It was amazing, and also how I chose the Trance. Unfortunately the trails there were much more suited to the Trance than the ones here within 30 minutes of my house, but something like that is 100% necessary to actually buy the right bike unless you're a YouTuber who does reviews and gets loaners all the time.
:dat:

No different than cars, really. Everything will seem awesome when you're working with some old ass shit and try the new goodness.

That was what was cool with the demos I've seen at a local park here, taking out several bikes on a trail I've ridden dozens of times would be invaluable. But instead, I just order bikes online. That said, the Orbea and Ribble have treated me well, just curious if I would prefer a different style mountain bike. There is far less difference between road bikes in a particular category.