Car Talk 5: The Juice is Loose!

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
fledonfoot
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Taco Truk | Power Wheels Heep

Johnny_P wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 3:54 pm Tesla just installed a supercharger next to the refinery I used to work at. Wouldn’t be a big deal to charge up there, it’s only 15 mins from my house.

Too bad I had no clue. Should have bought a model Y.
At the new Wawa that also sells beer?
Huckleberry
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Drives: 2004 GTO

MrH42 wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 12:58 pm
Detroit wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 12:46 pm
I don't understand why hatches went away. They were all the rage in the 80's and made sports cars practical. I haven't met anyone that claims to NOT want one, so there must be another reason why they're not built anymore. I'm going to guess that it has something to do with rigidity.
Yep, that's exactly it. You got a lot of rigidity by connecting the sides of the body together with the frame that goes around the opening of the back seats going down. A hatch on an 86/BRZ would add a lot of weight and reduce rigidity for a small practicality improvement.
But then the 944 became known for its remarkable handling while also having a hatch.
MrH42
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class
Drives: '23 Lightning + '23 BRZ

Huckleberry wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 4:52 pm
MrH42 wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 12:58 pm

Yep, that's exactly it. You got a lot of rigidity by connecting the sides of the body together with the frame that goes around the opening of the back seats going down. A hatch on an 86/BRZ would add a lot of weight and reduce rigidity for a small practicality improvement.
But then the 944 became known for its remarkable handling while also having a hatch.
It's also almost a 40 year design. Things have changed a lot.
MrH42
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class

Desertbreh wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 3:37 pm
MrH42 wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 3:34 pm

More power allows for more exploitation of gearing to get better mileage.

If the driver is demanding 80% of the power available with the 5.3, it doesn't matter if you have a 10 speed or 6 speed really. It's going to be working in that max power area of the rev range. But that same ask of the 6.2 might only be asking for 60% of available power. With the 10-speed, you've got multiple ways you can deliver that, and can pick the one that delivers the best fuel economy.

Basically, there's more ways to extract fuel economy when you've got more power on tap. So it's worth the investment on the 6.2 to give it a more expensive transmission. You probably see less of a fuel economy bump giving the 5.3 the 10-speed vs giving the 6.2 the 10-speed.
Everybody gets the 10 speed in the new IRS Tahoes.
Nice! Yeah, the plan was to eventually use it in everything. Any word on any gas mileage improvements switching to the 10speed?
troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Trek Domane

MrH42 wrote:
Huckleberry wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 4:52 pm But then the 944 became known for its remarkable handling while also having a hatch.
Which should make it easier to get good handling without gigantic solid pillars and a tiny trunk opening, no? But I guess everything needs to keep getting "better" so there's no market for "good" when the (enthusiast) world revolves around objective metrics.
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: An Okinowa Cruiseship
Location: 6 miles north of Sleepy Joes House & 5 miles from Bosphorus Channel

So I got some time freed up, went for a run again in the crack of dawn. Unpacked and all that jazz and I got super tired of the mitsu outlander (its god fucking awful to drive) that I decided to fuck it and call to change it. Went to the airport rental on my "lunch break" and they said they had elantra available for me. Guy was like we have a kia forte, is the same engine, his words. There was also corolla and civic available, but went ahead and pulled the kia plunge. Got the paperwork exchanged and on my way. Except he said the car is at this spot and there is no car there. But the license plate was listed, so I looked around and found it. But man kia really has come a long way, the car drives pretty good, feels good and tight.
Nephew of a :plac: a few first gen immigrant on DFD, resident turk, and ex nazi egg lover now driving a middle class mom mobile.
wap
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue Meanie

Desertbreh wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 2:03 pm
wap wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 1:55 pm

That would be fantastic, like a new take on an 80's sports coupe.
What would be fantastic is if Porsche just took the 944 Turbo, put a 400 hp low emissions engine and a 6 speed in it and some giant brakes and sold it new. Don't need to change anything else.*

*This message brought to you by :wap:
Well, it's not like it's :wrong:
But I'd be happy with anything over, say, 300 hp in a car as small as a 944, :doe:
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
RLWake
Meat Patty 2nd Class
Meat Patty 2nd Class
Drives: CHEESE

Well lads… I did it.

My blissful ignorance is over.

I drove my father-in-law’s ‘02 Z06 :brubtub:

There really is a magic to those things isn’t there? I was telling myself I wasn’t gonna go this route but FUUUUUUCK that’s so good. All it took was a downshift into second, a pull to redline, and now I’m hooked.

Ugh.
2010 Audi TT APR Stg1 (sold) >> 2012 BMW 335i FBO (sold) >> 2009 Miata zoom-zoom spec "Cheese" (sold) >> 2022 Hyundai Elantra N + 1999 Miata Maacover Project
RLWake
Meat Patty 2nd Class
Meat Patty 2nd Class

If I can un-shitbox the C5 interior enough… I could go for something like that. Everything just felt so… intuitive. Right. Easy. Like… “well yes, this is how a proper grand touring sports car should be!”
2010 Audi TT APR Stg1 (sold) >> 2012 BMW 335i FBO (sold) >> 2009 Miata zoom-zoom spec "Cheese" (sold) >> 2022 Hyundai Elantra N + 1999 Miata Maacover Project
wap

MexicanYarisTK wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 7:02 pm So I got some time freed up, went for a run again in the crack of dawn. Unpacked and all that jazz and I got super tired of the mitsu outlander (its god fucking awful to drive) that I decided to fuck it and call to change it. Went to the airport rental on my "lunch break" and they said they had elantra available for me. Guy was like we have a kia forte, is the same engine, his words. There was also corolla and civic available, but went ahead and pulled the kia plunge. Got the paperwork exchanged and on my way. Except he said the car is at this spot and there is no car there. But the license plate was listed, so I looked around and found it. But man kia really has come a long way, the car drives pretty good, feels good and tight.
:neat:
:nice: to see that H/K's newfound excellence has also moved down to their lower end offerings.
Got any pics of the interior?
troyguitar

RLWake wrote:If I can un-shitbox the C5 interior enough… I could go for something like that. Everything just felt so… intuitive. Right. Easy. Like… “well yes, this is how a proper grand touring sports car should be!”
C6 Z51 is a C5 Z06 but better in every way.
RLWake
Meat Patty 2nd Class
Meat Patty 2nd Class

troyguitar wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 10:29 pm
RLWake wrote:If I can un-shitbox the C5 interior enough… I could go for something like that. Everything just felt so… intuitive. Right. Easy. Like… “well yes, this is how a proper grand touring sports car should be!”
C6 Z51 is a C5 Z06 but better in every way.
Pop-up headlights :doe:
troyguitar

RLWake wrote:
troyguitar wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 10:29 pm C6 Z51 is a C5 Z06 but better in every way.
Like I said, the C6 is better in every way.
Huckleberry

MrH42 wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 5:17 pm
Huckleberry wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 4:52 pm

Exactly. So, having a vehicle handle well with a hatch shouldn't be a challenge.
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

wap wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 10:08 pm
MexicanYarisTK wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 7:02 pm So I got some time freed up, went for a run again in the crack of dawn. Unpacked and all that jazz and I got super tired of the mitsu outlander (its god fucking awful to drive) that I decided to fuck it and call to change it. Went to the airport rental on my "lunch break" and they said they had elantra available for me. Guy was like we have a kia forte, is the same engine, his words. There was also corolla and civic available, but went ahead and pulled the kia plunge. Got the paperwork exchanged and on my way. Except he said the car is at this spot and there is no car there. But the license plate was listed, so I looked around and found it. But man kia really has come a long way, the car drives pretty good, feels good and tight.
:nice: to see that H/K's newfound excellence has also moved down to their lower end offerings.
Will do today, it feels similar to an audi design, after all the current designer used to work for Audi. The headunit screen tech kinda reminds of the same screen tech as kindle fire
Nephew of a :plac: a few first gen immigrant on DFD, resident turk, and ex nazi egg lover now driving a middle class mom mobile.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

troyguitar wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 11:06 pm
RLWake wrote:
Like I said, the C6 is better in every way.
:dat: 0/7 would go C5 over C6.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
ChrisoftheNorth

Huckleberry wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 2:08 am

Exactly. So, having a vehicle handle well with a hatch shouldn't be a challenge.
Nope, but now marketing people need to be able to tout rigidity stats nobody understands and xx% improvement over the last model, and whatnot.

I adored my 944, I'd buy a new version of that thing today, wiggly body and all.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
wap

Huckleberry wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 2:08 am

:dat:
MrH42
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class

There are crash standards, NVH, etc kind of expectations customers have now. I don't think a 40 year old 944 would sell :lol:

Granted, I don't think I have driven a 944, but I'm guessing it would get trounced by something like a new 86.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: C5

RLWake wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 10:36 pm
troyguitar wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 10:29 pm C6 Z51 is a C5 Z06 but better in every way.
Bruh they aren't worth it.
ChrisoftheNorth

MrH42 wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 11:32 am There are crash standards, NVH, etc kind of expectations customers have now. I don't think a 40 year old 944 would sell :lol:

Granted, I don't think I have driven a 944, but I'm guessing it would get trounced by something like a new 86.
The new 86 has the same HP rating as a 944 TURBRO did. And that thing was :plaid: at the time. So you're right, a new 86 would probably keep up with a TURBRO and trounce a base 944.

I loved my 944 turbo, I bet I'd love a new 86. Too bad (good?) I don't need another car.
Huckleberry

MrH42 wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 11:32 am There are crash standards, NVH, etc kind of expectations customers have now. I don't think a 40 year old 944 would sell :lol:

What I'm saying is that 40 years ago, Porsche was able to develop a parts bin car that handled very well with an incorporated hatch. I'd like to think that improvements in manufacturing and engineering over that time would allow for the same feat to be done again on something like the 86. These are niche vehicles already that you know are going to have lower sales volumes than the other models, so to me, it would make sense to try to make the vehicle as single car-friendly as possible. Including a hatch is a great way of doing that.
Johnny_P
Drives: Blue short bus

fledonfoot wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 4:39 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 3:54 pm Tesla just installed a supercharger next to the refinery I used to work at. Wouldn’t be a big deal to charge up there, it’s only 15 mins from my house.

Too bad I had no clue. Should have bought a model Y.
At the new Wawa that also sells beer?
Yep. Would have been a fun "gas station" outing every other week.
wap

Huckleberry wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 3:38 pm

What I'm saying is that 40 years ago, Porsche was able to develop a parts bin car that handled very well with an incorporated hatch. I'd like to think that improvements in manufacturing and engineering over that time would allow for the same feat to be done again on something like the 86. These are niche vehicles already that you know are going to have lower sales volumes than the other models, so to me, it would make sense to try to make the vehicle as single car-friendly as possible. Including a hatch is a great way of doing that.
:dat:
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

wap wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 10:08 pm
You asked I deliver