OT 20: rotisserie roller coaster

Off-topic? You mean on-topic!
razr390
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: MK7.5 on 87

Takin’ the little one to the park. Cool weather can’t come soon enough.

:doughnut: :narc: :doughnut:
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:05 pm DFD. The forum where everybody makes the same choices and then tells anybody trying to join the club that they are the stupidest motherfucker to ever walk the earth.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

razr390 wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 5:46 pm Takin’ the little one to the park. Cool weather can’t come soon enough.

Nice man! It is finally starting to feel really good here. It's still pretty up there with highs in the upper 80s, but humidity hasn't been terrible and it is downright :nice: in the mornings and evenings, plus we've had some days only topping out around 80, :notbad:
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

D Griff wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 5:32 pm
Detroit wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 5:22 pm
:impressive:

NYC is pretty dope now. I'm legit looking forward to going back.
:nice:

I haven't been in years, I don't think since I quit my old job. I used to go regularly for some time in the office there; I also had friends living there to stay with free for a weekend but they all moved back here as mentioned. You're making me want to set up a trip... kind of maxed out on PTO and travel :waxer: for now :doe:
My perspective might be skewed because I can't remember the last time I was in a big city, hell even Detroit. Legit, probably 3 years since I've been in a city. So NYC had a ton of novelty. People built it up to me to be this jam packed metropolis, and while it certainly is huge and there's people everywhere, it's just not that invasive on my personal experience. We didn't really plan anything, just set out in a direction and let our interests guide us. Lower Manhattan is cool, but so is central park and all the upper stuff. Chelsea was also dope, which is closest to the office, one day after work we just set out to see Chelsea and ended up at the flatiron building (that's under construction right now), but there was a dude playing blues guitar in the park right outside it and we listened to him then found some dank sushi on the way back. If you're into just exploring and letting the moment take you, it's a really cool place. I have no prior experience to say if and how it's changed, but it's easily my favorite big city I've ever been to. London, Paris, Shanghai, LA, SF, Chicago, none made me want to keep exploring like NYC.

Then again, I've been living in the middle of nowhere for a year, so any city is :impressive:
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
ChrisoftheNorth

razr390 wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 5:46 pm Takin’ the little one to the park. Cool weather can’t come soon enough.

TC is in the 70s with low humidity, it's insanely awesome right now. You'll be there when I'm freezing my nuts off.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
haleyann
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer
Drives: Forester & Fiata

Hey guys
Johnny_P
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue short bus

Detroit wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 6:19 pm

I haven't been in years, I don't think since I quit my old job. I used to go regularly for some time in the office there; I also had friends living there to stay with free for a weekend but they all moved back here as mentioned. You're making me want to set up a trip... kind of maxed out on PTO and travel :waxer: for now :doe:
My perspective might be skewed because I can't remember the last time I was in a big city, hell even Detroit. Legit, probably 3 years since I've been in a city. So NYC had a ton of novelty. People built it up to me to be this jam packed metropolis, and while it certainly is huge and there's people everywhere, it's just not that invasive on my personal experience. We didn't really plan anything, just set out in a direction and let our interests guide us. Lower Manhattan is cool, but so is central park and all the upper stuff. Chelsea was also dope, which is closest to the office, one day after work we just set out to see Chelsea and ended up at the flatiron building (that's under construction right now), but there was a dude playing blues guitar in the park right outside it and we listened to him then found some dank sushi on the way back. If you're into just exploring and letting the moment take you, it's a really cool place. I have no prior experience to say if and how it's changed, but it's easily my favorite big city I've ever been to. London, Paris, Shanghai, LA, SF, Chicago, none made me want to keep exploring like NYC.

Then again, I've been living in the middle of nowhere for a year, so any city is :impressive:
The complaints about NYC revolve around congestion and ridiculous cost of living. If you're just visiting you don't have to deal with COL and minimally with congestion. It's an awesome place to visit.
Johnny_P
Drives: Blue short bus

I got made fun of last month for double spacing after a period. Apparently it's a thing that "olds" do.

:sad:
fledonfoot
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Taco Truk | Power Wheels Heep

Acid666 wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 2:53 pm In not so fun news, Norm Macdonald died today.
I’ve been punched in the gut twice in the last month by comedians and cancer. Norm was legendary. His English counterpart, Sean Lock, was also a massive loss.

They both leave so much joy and laughter to enjoy forever.

Fuck cancer.
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

D Griff wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 11:14 am
SAWCE wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 5:20 pm

He’s the king of :scrooge: with stuff like that. After the Mirage died he was just driving their old 90s Astro van to and from work, and then when my mom stopped driving he started using her mid/late-00s G35. Other car in the stable is a Camry that they bought for my sister to drive around in.
Before the Mirage he had an 85 MK2 diesel Golf that he finally replaced in 2000.
:dock: My dad had one of these when I was growing up as well, (I think MK2, I want to say it was an '82). That really was one of the most :scrooge: cars imagineable, 52 ponies and it just ran forever. I think my dad gave his to my older half sister circa 1996.
1982 would be Mk1.
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
wap

MexicanYarisTK wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 2:02 pm Happy birthday :narc:
:dat:
wap

Johnny_P wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 10:03 pm I got made fun of last month for double spacing after a period. Apparently it's a thing that "olds" do.

:wtf: It's proper grammar to double space after a period.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

wap wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 10:38 pm
MexicanYarisTK wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 2:02 pm Happy birthday :narc:
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

It sounds to me like it is a lot less crowded than pre COVID :lolol:
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

wap wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 10:35 pm
D Griff wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 11:14 am

:dock: My dad had one of these when I was growing up as well, (I think MK2, I want to say it was an '82). That really was one of the most :scrooge: cars imagineable, 52 ponies and it just ran forever. I think my dad gave his to my older half sister circa 1996.
1982 would be Mk1.
All rook same.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Johnny_P wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 10:03 pm I got made fun of last month for double spacing after a period. Apparently it's a thing that "olds" do.

I actually dropped the double space a few years ago, but :whocares: , you do you.

I also picked up the Oxford Comma around the same time. In4 :wrong:
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

wap wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 11:09 pm

:notsure:

You are old. :trollface:

My understanding is that either is perfectly acceptable.
wap

D Griff wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 10:49 am
wap wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 10:35 pm

1982 would be Mk1.
All rook same.
:howdareu:
wap

D Griff wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 10:50 am

I actually dropped the double space a few years ago, but :whocares: , you do you.

I didn't know that was the name of it, (had to Google), but that last comma is also correct.
wap

wap wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 11:09 pm

:really:
I ain't changing. It's a visual aid and it makes it easier to see the end of a sentence vs just a pause that a comma would give.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

wap wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 10:54 am

I didn't know that was the name of it, (had to Google), but that last comma is also correct.
Either way is technically correct. However, I agree with you. Based on speech, including it makes a lot more sense, IMO.
troyguitar
Drives: Trek Domane

Double spaces are annoying to read to me, plus they make editing and proofreading take more work.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

wap wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 10:56 am

:really:
I ain't changing. It's a visual aid and it makes it easier to see the end of a sentence vs just a pause that a comma would give.
I mean, you shouldn't. As far as I know though, either style is considered correct in modern English (motherfucker). So you are :notwrong:
ChrisoftheNorth

troyguitar wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 11:20 am Double spaces are annoying to read to me, plus they make editing and proofreading take more work.

When I was in editorial briefly, we axed double spaces for this reason alone.
ChrisoftheNorth

D Griff wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 10:47 am

It sounds to me like it is a lot less crowded than pre COVID :lolol:
I also went over Labor Day, which maybe people were out of the city for that week?
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: An Okinowa Cruiseship
Location: 6 miles north of Sleepy Joes House & 5 miles from Bosphorus Channel

Detroit wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 2:25 pm
MexicanYarisTK wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 2:12 pm

Agreed, for the most part I lean left and there are a few exceptions that I may not seem like. Like masks, just to prove myself that I am on which wing seems silly imo and having to wear it outside all the time when theres literally not one person within a 100 meters around me.

For the funemployment, I mean Im all ok for someone who actually needs it for rent and only use it until they actually find a job, or takes care of the kid. Because face it, 1,800 bucks per month is not enough to pay for rent alone in my neck of the woods. But there are a couple that I know that actually takes fully advantage of it and can get a job if they want, kinda selfish tbh. Doesnt help with the fact of labor shortage and all that. For that reason in particular Im glad it ended and pretty soon the shortage may not be as much of a concern than it is now. I feel like there should be some sort of eligibility for getting approved for it.
There's an interesting thing about the employment issue that a contractor we hired made me aware of a few weeks ago. We hired a general contractor to rebuild a room on our house, and what should have taken a month has dragged on for 4 now. He's been great with communication and very apologetic, he said he just can't find people.

One of the dudes he sent out used to own his own general contracting business. The guy was really intelligent, did great work, and was super chatty. He said he was forced to shut down most of his own business because he can't find anyone to work with him. He's offering people $30/hr CASH at the end of the day to just help him carry tools, run errands, hold things, just be a helper. Unskilled, simple work that any human in decent physical shape could do. I told him that I thought that was great money and I was shocked he couldn't find anyone and I blamed unemployment. He said it has nothing to do with unemployment, instead pointed blame at the legalization of cannabis. He said he could count 10 people that he's lost in the last 12 months to growing and selling pot.

It turns out that in my local area in northern MI where space is abundant, unskilled people THINK that growing and selling cannabis is a much easier and faster way to economic prosperity than working a job for someone else. The reality is that it's actually quite labor intensive to do it at the scale required to replace normal income streams, but everyone up here knows someone personally with a crazy operation that clears a quarter mil annually selling pot. Those stories are motivating people, and legalization made law enforcement turn a blind eye to this activity, whether it's being done legally or not.

I'd be fascinated to see if there's any sort of correlation between the lack of low skilled labor and legalization of cannabis.
Jesus!! Yeah I remember Michigan legalized marijuana and all the :millennial: jumped into the business rather than doing honest work. Also I honestly think that has to do with lot of millennials seem to move to larger cities more as well. I have definitely noticed more transplants in DC than before. I also remember when I just got my mk7, I remember on golfmk7 where theres some dude in Colorado started his weed business (when they legalized it at the time), he was rolling in a mk4 r32 before that and he got a :gorf: shortly after his business somehow took off. Maybe that guy knew what he was doing, but I feel like a lot of millennials went like "you know what, I could be good at this", etc.
Nephew of a :plac: a few first gen immigrant on DFD, resident turk, and ex nazi egg lover now driving a middle class mom mobile.