Dem bicicletas dos, doe.

Health, fitness, and nutrition freaks, lets see those gainz.
troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Trek Domane

I'm probably :wrong: but the cobbles around here feel brutal to me at 70+ psi. Dropping to 60 is the only way that the 25s feel tolerable.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Hooptie Crotchfruit Carrier

troyguitar wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 7:49 pm I'm probably :wrong: but the cobbles around here feel brutal to me at 70+ psi. Dropping to 60 is the only way that the 25s feel tolerable.
I'm quite a bit heavier than you, I'm sure you can get away with lower pressures than I can.
Johnny_P
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue short bus

troyguitar wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 7:49 pm I'm probably :wrong: but the cobbles around here feel brutal to me at 70+ psi. Dropping to 60 is the only way that the 25s feel tolerable.
I prefer 25 front 30 rear for cobbles
On 38s
Johnny_P

coogles wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 4:31 pm
D Griff wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 4:23 pm

3,927 for the year so far in total miles biked, I am surprised by how much I am still putting on the Raleigh just :derp: around. I was riding to the office for a bit, but only two days/week for a month before that was shut down again.

You'll have more time eventually.

How are you liking it?
Honestly? I wish I'd have bought the hybrid. My old 26" MTB is handling the neighborhood duties and it's just incredibly slow, and I'd get a lot more use out of something like the Trek FX I almost bought than the Emonda. Getting on the Emonda for 30 minutes to do a quick loop around the 'burbs and then plop back in front of the computer is a pretty :flaccid: experience on top of that. I'd just as soon hop on the Peloton with some music, some motivation, and without having to constantly watch for cars. I looked into offing it to TPC already but they've stopped taking bikes. The bike overall is great, though. It's comfortable, and tubeless 28s at 80psi really help kill the road buzz.

If anybody wants it, hit me up. I can have it professionally boxed and will ship.
What size is it? 56?
Johnny_P

I played bikes today. Just some dirt stuff with a friend at dad pace. Felt good to get out for a bit. The All City is a champ. Most enjoyable bike I've ever owned.

A friend and I are thinking of starting up a weekly Tuesday night gravel ride. Not sure. But we'd like to. There's only one gravel ride in Philly now and it apparently kind of sucks. But 30 ish miles and ending at a brewery are a possibility...
troyguitar

Johnny_P wrote:I played bikes today. Just some dirt stuff with a friend at dad pace. Felt good to get out for a bit. The All City is a champ. Most enjoyable bike I've ever owned.

A friend and I are thinking of starting up a weekly Tuesday night gravel ride. Not sure. But we'd like to. There's only one gravel ride in Philly now and it apparently kind of sucks. But 30 ish miles and ending at a brewery are a possibility...
Start at a brewery. Gotta fuel your ride.
Johnny_P

troyguitar wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 10:05 pm
Johnny_P wrote:I played bikes today. Just some dirt stuff with a friend at dad pace. Felt good to get out for a bit. The All City is a champ. Most enjoyable bike I've ever owned.

Start at a brewery. Gotta fuel your ride.
Yeah the goal is get out of the house and away from responsibilities for a bit. Bikes are optional lol.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Johnny_P wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 9:59 pm What size is it? 56?
56, yep. Probably too small for you unfortunately.
Johnny_P

coogles wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 6:16 am
Johnny_P wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 9:59 pm What size is it? 56?
56, yep. Probably too small for you unfortunately.
Yeah bummer
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

Johnny_P wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 10:02 pm I played bikes today. Just some dirt stuff with a friend at dad pace. Felt good to get out for a bit. The All City is a champ. Most enjoyable bike I've ever owned.

:doit:

This is the challenge with group riding though, 80% of them are surrounded by alcohol, if you start doing multiple weeknight group rides, next thing you know you're full :drunk: status. You deserve it and could use it :doe:

Curious what a 'gravel ride' in Philly would be like. It's funny, I see people here riding gravel bikes on the road all of the time, but :notsure: where they actually take them other than slowly on road. I've never seen a gravel bike on any of the hundreds of miles of MTB trails here and there are no gravel roads without driving 45+ minutes. There are some hard packed gravel greenways but a road bike on 25s does fine there and they're paving more and more of it.

I love the idea of gravel riding and am often tempted to get gravel tires on my current wheels and get some :fancy: wheels for road, but just :notsure: where I would actually use it living in a city. Other cities may be different :doe:
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

troyguitar wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 6:19 pm Damn 80 psi? I run 60 psi on my 25s.
Tubeless? The one time I went out at sub 75 PSI, I got two pinchflats in the first three miles... I am 180 pounds :doe: , so I think a good bit more than you?
troyguitar

D Griff wrote:
troyguitar wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 6:19 pm Damn 80 psi? I run 60 psi on my 25s.
Tubeless? The one time I went out at sub 75 PSI, I got two pinchflats in the first three miles... I am 180 pounds :doe: , so I think a good bit more than you?
Yeah tubeless GP5000TL and I'm 140 lbs right now, slowly going back down toward 130.

I think the tubeless GP5000 in particular is a really stiff, harsh tire. It hardly needs any air at all to hold its shape. For the same road feel as my tires at 60 psi, I run the Hutchinson fusion tires on the wife's bike (same 25mm tubeless setup) at 75 psi.

On the 32mm version of the GP5000TL I run 30-40 psi, the same pressure I ran on big 40mm maxxis road tires.

Whenever they finally show up from backorder I want to try the Michelins, hopefully they're a better compromise of speed and comfort. Could be next year at this rate :doe:
Johnny_P

D Griff wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 10:44 am
Johnny_P wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 10:02 pm I played bikes today. Just some dirt stuff with a friend at dad pace. Felt good to get out for a bit. The All City is a champ. Most enjoyable bike I've ever owned.

This is the challenge with group riding though, 80% of them are surrounded by alcohol, if you start doing multiple weeknight group rides, next thing you know you're full :drunk: status. You deserve it and could use it :doe:

Curious what a 'gravel ride' in Philly would be like. It's funny, I see people here riding gravel bikes on the road all of the time, but :notsure: where they actually take them other than slowly on road. I've never seen a gravel bike on any of the hundreds of miles of MTB trails here and there are no gravel roads without driving 45+ minutes. There are some hard packed gravel greenways but a road bike on 25s does fine there and they're paving more and more of it.

I love the idea of gravel riding and am often tempted to get gravel tires on my current wheels and get some :fancy: wheels for road, but just :notsure: where I would actually use it living in a city. Other cities may be different :doe:
I don’t think we’d get much participation in the gravel jawn. Maybe 10 people? Probably for the better anyway.

There are lots of trails in Philly that are suitable for a gravel bike, you just need to be willing to ride some kind of shitty sections to get to more fun / fast stuff. There are a couple ways to make a 30 ish mile ride mostly off pavement.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Johnny_P wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 11:15 am

I don’t think we’d get much participation in the gravel jawn. Maybe 10 people? Probably for the better anyway.

There are lots of trails in Philly that are suitable for a gravel bike, you just need to be willing to ride some kind of shitty sections to get to more fun / fast stuff. There are a couple ways to make a 30 ish mile ride mostly off pavement.
8-12 is the perfect group size anyway, IMO.

You should :doit:

If I'm ever in town, I will :doit:
Johnny_P

D Griff wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 11:53 am
Johnny_P wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 11:15 am

We can put on spandex and get lost in the woods together and maybe get drunk :gaydance:
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Johnny_P wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 2:11 pm
D Griff wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 11:53 am

We can put on spandex and get lost in the woods together and maybe get drunk :gaydance:
:fuckyeah:
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

[user not found] wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 7:56 pm Shit, if you bought a 58…
Being a short bastard makes selling bikes significantly more difficult, I've found.
troyguitar

coogles wrote:
[user not found] wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 7:56 pm Shit, if you bought a 58…
Being a short bastard makes selling bikes significantly more difficult, I've found.
Pfft. Most people are your size, you'll be fine. Only DFD is full of exceptions.
Johnny_P

Heard about that one. Sounded awesome. Would have to work up to it.
Johnny_P

[user not found] wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 11:50 pm

Keep it fun. Set some routes up, change them up weekly, hit some iconic segments, drink beer when done, only rule is don't be a dick. Recipe for success.

You'll also need to get a feel for what others expect out of a gravel ride. Not everyone's down with diving into singletrack on drop bars.
Yeah it would likely start as invite only at this point.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

[user not found] wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 11:45 pm

80% are alcohol-based?

...what group rides are you doing?

There's only one group ride I do from time to time that ends at a brewery.

Griff, you'll likely need to travel a bit for quality gravel. How big a tire can you fit on your Sprite Can?
:iono: most of the rides do seem centralized around drinking during and/or after the ride... hence why I don't do all that many and have just found some good people to ride with from time to time. I'm OK with :foreveralone: on most of my rides, it makes me faster when I do find myself in a group setting. There is a ride I just found out about Monday nights that looks to be pretty full send :doe:

I'm not sure on the exact tire clearance, but I think plenty at a cursory glance. I just don't see myself sitting in the car for 90 minutes to go ride all that much, I have limited time and I'd rather be spinning than sitting on the freeway.

That said, I think it may be worth it for some bigger events, I would LOVE to do some of the big gravel epics. The one you posted above looks incredible! (other than the :snek: :nope: )
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

[user not found] wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 5:25 pm
D Griff wrote:
:iono: most of the rides do seem centralized around drinking during and/or after the ride... hence why I don't do all that many and have just found some good people to ride with from time to time. I'm OK with :foreveralone: on most of my rides, it makes me faster when I do find myself in a group setting. There is a ride I just found out about Monday nights that looks to be pretty full send :doe:

I'm not sure on the exact tire clearance, but I think plenty at a cursory glance. I just don't see myself sitting in the car for 90 minutes to go ride all that much, I have limited time and I'd rather be spinning than sitting on the freeway.

That said, I think it may be worth it for some bigger events, I would LOVE to do some of the big gravel epics. The one you posted above looks incredible! (other than the :snek: :nope: )
Yeah, I’ve been staying closer to home this year aside from a few events here and there.

You’ve got the Endurance frame? Looks like clearance up to 32mm which isn’t all that much for chunkier gravel/singletrack. But you could do some 32 file treads and have fun still.
:jalepenis:
troyguitar

[user not found] wrote:
troyguitar wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 8:35 pm Pfft. Most people are your size, you'll be fine. Only DFD is full of exceptions.
:dat:

Seems every carbon disc road bike I find for sale is a 54 or 56. :flaccid:
Johnny_P

It’s official we are going to :doit:

Should be a 30 miler with some beers at the end. Linking some of the mild trails in Belmont with other fun bonus gravel and cobblestones. I’m gonna lead it apparently :yikes: Hope they don’t mind dad pace.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Johnny_P wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 11:30 am It’s official we are going to :doit:

Should be a 30 miler with some beers at the end. Linking some of the mild trails in Belmont with other fun bonus gravel and cobblestones. I’m gonna lead it apparently :yikes: Hope they don’t mind dad pace.
:nice:

I'll get on my bike now and start heading that way, hopefully the ride is late next week as it'll take me several days to get to Philly.