Car Talk 5: The Juice is Loose!

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

RLWake wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 4:51 pm
D Griff wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 4:45 pm

:dat: Most won't be as good to be honest :disappoint: Also if you haven't had a FWD :manuel: , there's obviously a lot more linkage going on so it's difficult to replicate the Miata where it is a stick going right into the trans.

Are you dumping the Miata or just looking to get into a nicer DD on top of it?
Dumping is 100% not the right word. Moving on? Very, very likely. I have a close friend who has agreed to buy it, assuming he can get the cash together. I give that about a 90% chance of working out. He’s been set on finding a nice NC for quite a while now. He gets to know everything about the car and have confidence when he buys it, and I get to sell it to someone I know is gonna take care of it.

I’m gonna buy whatever new DD, prep and sell :cheese:, probably take care of some things with some of the money from the sale, and then sit and wait to find something to have as a second car. Suzuki X-90, Cappuccino, NB Miata, something like that. Maybe an old bmw if I can find a good one.
:pouroneout:

Makes sense though, we are all just crazy people flip-flopping cars. I wanted a nicer, comfier DD. I am happy overall but still :drool: over GR86, so I want to be back in a sports car and it's been less than a month :lolol:
RLWake
Meat Patty 2nd Class
Meat Patty 2nd Class
Drives: CHEESE

D Griff wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 5:16 pm
RLWake wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 4:51 pm

Dumping is 100% not the right word. Moving on? Very, very likely. I have a close friend who has agreed to buy it, assuming he can get the cash together. I give that about a 90% chance of working out. He’s been set on finding a nice NC for quite a while now. He gets to know everything about the car and have confidence when he buys it, and I get to sell it to someone I know is gonna take care of it.

I’m gonna buy whatever new DD, prep and sell :cheese:, probably take care of some things with some of the money from the sale, and then sit and wait to find something to have as a second car. Suzuki X-90, Cappuccino, NB Miata, something like that. Maybe an old bmw if I can find a good one.

Makes sense though, we are all just crazy people flip-flopping cars. I wanted a nicer, comfier DD. I am happy overall but still :drool: over GR86, so I want to be back in a sports car and it's been less than a month :lolol:
I’m trying to ignore the new 86 and think “NO, need four doors. FOUR. DOORS.” It’s hard.
2010 Audi TT APR Stg1 (sold) >> 2012 BMW 335i FBO (sold) >> 2009 Miata zoom-zoom spec "Cheese" (sold) >> 2022 Hyundai Elantra N + 1999 Miata Maacover Project
Johnny_P
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue short bus

RLWake wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 5:47 pm

I’m trying to ignore the new 86 and think “NO, need four doors. FOUR. DOORS.” It’s hard.
WRXs drive pretty good if the Mazda was too sedate. More of a tin can though.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Hooptie Crotchfruit Carrier

Give me a shout if your friend doesn't end up buying it. Wifey wants a 'vert for our weekend whip and a solid NC with a good history would fit the bill pretty nicely. Not sure on timing on our end, but it may work out depending on how things go with :tits: possible (likely) promotion.
RLWake
Meat Patty 2nd Class
Meat Patty 2nd Class

coogles wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 7:20 pm

Give me a shout if your friend doesn't end up buying it. Wifey wants a 'vert for our weekend whip and a solid NC with a good history would fit the bill pretty nicely. Not sure on timing on our end, but it may work out depending on how things go with :tits: possible (likely) promotion.
:notbad: I’ll let you know
2010 Audi TT APR Stg1 (sold) >> 2012 BMW 335i FBO (sold) >> 2009 Miata zoom-zoom spec "Cheese" (sold) >> 2022 Hyundai Elantra N + 1999 Miata Maacover Project
MrH42
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class
Drives: '23 Lightning + '23 BRZ

Yeah, post the Miata here if you decide to move on and need to find a buyer. A car that’s been cleaned behind the taillights is rare.
RLWake
Meat Patty 2nd Class
Meat Patty 2nd Class

MrH42 wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 9:21 pm Yeah, post the Miata here if you decide to move on and need to find a buyer. A car that’s been cleaned behind the taillights is rare.
It definitely needs another deep clean at this point. It’s been my daily for quite a while now and I need to get a couple buddies together for a teardown detail before I sell it. The paint is nowhere near perfect, but it never has been since I got it. If I were keeping it, I’d repaint the front bumper and probably the hood. Rock chips and all that add up.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

:butwhy: do you need four doors?
RLWake
Meat Patty 2nd Class
Meat Patty 2nd Class

D Griff wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 10:55 am

I just have more :poop: to haul around these days and a miata / FRZ86 type thing isn’t cutting it at all.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

RLWake wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 11:21 am
D Griff wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 10:55 am

I just have more :poop: to haul around these days and a miata / FRZ86 type thing isn’t cutting it at all.
May I introduce you to your lord and savior, the Corvette?

:iono: not trying to be condescending by any means, you seem like a dude that's wise beyond your years BUT I would encourage you to not "grow up to fast". I left Miami and moved here at 22 because I felt like I needed a 401K and health insurance and shit. I also bought a :mk6: because it was practical. Looking back, I should've been rocking a 'vette and living in Miami minting money as a freelance sound dude and getting to work with hot musician chicks and drink on the job. Missed opportunities :lolol:
RLWake
Meat Patty 2nd Class
Meat Patty 2nd Class

D Griff wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 11:47 am

:iono: not trying to be condescending by any means, you seem like a dude that's wise beyond your years BUT I would encourage you to not "grow up to fast". I left Miami and moved here at 22 because I felt like I needed a 401K and health insurance and shit. I also bought a :mk6: because it was practical. Looking back, I should've been rocking a 'vette and living in Miami minting money as a freelance sound dude and getting to work with hot musician chicks and drink on the job. Missed opportunities :lolol:
My fiancée’s dad just bought a MINT ‘02 Z06… and I’m jealous.

It’s not that I’m getting rid of the fun… the idea is to have a comfy daily that I don’t mind dumping miles into plus a more purpose build NB miata or something. The more I drive to work every day, the more I realize I want something new and clean with all the active safety features, apple carplay, plenty of space, etc. If I can have that, I can feel much more free to have a modded, gutted, and caged NB or something.

If I could afford that Z06 as a second car… I would.
Johnny_P
Drives: Blue short bus

Yeah I should have bought that base 2009 Cayman I found years ago when I was a single mid level engineer making stupid money. Oh well.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Johnny_P wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 1:15 pm

Yeah I should have bought that base 2009 Cayman I found years ago when I was a single mid level engineer making stupid money. Oh well.
I at least righted the ship somewhat in my mid to late 20s, but I would encourage younger dudes to not squander their 20s in a GTI getting water dumped on their heads from a busted sunroof.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

RLWake wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 12:37 pm

It’s not that I’m getting rid of the fun… the idea is to have a comfy daily that I don’t mind dumping miles into plus a more purpose build NB miata or something. The more I drive to work every day, the more I realize I want something new and clean with all the active safety features, apple carplay, plenty of space, etc. If I can have that, I can feel much more free to have a modded, gutted, and caged NB or something.

GR86 does all of these :doe:
RLWake
Meat Patty 2nd Class
Meat Patty 2nd Class

D Griff wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 1:21 pm
RLWake wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 12:37 pm

:notsure: Keeping the warranty on that thing is gonna be nearly impossible for me. I suppose I should look into it more.

Also no driver assist stuff on :manuel: which is :poop:
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

RLWake wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 1:31 pm

:notsure: Keeping the warranty on that thing is gonna be nearly impossible for me. I suppose I should look into it more.

:whocares:
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

What mods would you be tempted by?

I don't think suspension/tires/wheels/exhaust/etc. would really hurt your warranty.
RLWake
Meat Patty 2nd Class
Meat Patty 2nd Class

D Griff wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 1:36 pm
RLWake wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 1:31 pm

:whocares:
As someone who goes on 1000 mile trips a few times a year... :pout: me.
troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Trek Domane

D Griff wrote:What mods would you be tempted by?

I don't think suspension/tires/wheels/exhaust/etc. would really hurt your warranty.
FULL BOOST BUILT MOTOR CORN JUICE OR :GTFO: BRO
RLWake
Meat Patty 2nd Class
Meat Patty 2nd Class

D Griff wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 1:37 pm What mods would you be tempted by?

I very much doubt that I could leave the engine alone. My dad's turbo FRS was :stig: :burnout: :impressive: ... until it got totalled by a freak hail storm.
RLWake
Meat Patty 2nd Class
Meat Patty 2nd Class

troyguitar wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 1:42 pm
D Griff wrote:What mods would you be tempted by?

FULL BOOST BUILT MOTOR CORN JUICE OR :GTFO: BRO
If you aren't injecting pure cotton candy vape juice into your intake, :wrong:
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

RLWake wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 1:43 pm
D Griff wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 1:37 pm What mods would you be tempted by?

I very much doubt that I could leave the engine alone. My dad's turbo FRS was :stig: :burnout: :impressive: ... until it got totalled by a freak hail storm.
I forgot about that... :sad: !

I do think an FI version would be fun but I think the 228 pure Japanese ponies would do the trick for me :lolol:

Big powah isn't all that useful where I live.
RLWake
Meat Patty 2nd Class
Meat Patty 2nd Class

D Griff wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 1:57 pm
RLWake wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 1:43 pm

I do think an FI version would be fun but I think the 228 pure Japanese ponies would do the trick for me :lolol:

I do need to drive one... a buddy of mine has a 2020 BRZ so I might ask to drive his to get an idea. I'm annoyed about availability in all of these. Who knows if I could get my hands on one of those or a new GLI in a good spec in any reasonable time frame. I want to minimize time dealing with :dillerman:
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

RLWake wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 2:09 pm
D Griff wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 1:57 pm

I do need to drive one... a buddy of mine has a 2020 BRZ so I might ask to drive his to get an idea. I'm annoyed about availability in all of these. Who knows if I could get my hands on one of those or a new GLI in a good spec in any reasonable time frame. I want to minimize time dealing with :dillerman:
This is just the world we live in now :rage:

I am in electronics sales, so I deal with this :bs: every day with customers raging at me because I can't get them 75 amplifiers for a casino or some such thing. It blows, it cuts into my bottom line pay, etc. but there's not much to be done other than just not get a new car or deal with the price gouging and headaches.

I plan to just sit back in the German Kamry for a year or so and see where things are at that time. It is a placeholder to ride out the :bs: for me.
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: An Okinowa Cruiseship
Location: 6 miles north of Sleepy Joes House & 5 miles from Bosphorus Channel

Johnny_P wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 1:15 pm

I at least righted the ship somewhat in my mid to late 20s, but I would encourage younger dudes to not squander their 20s in a GTI getting water dumped on their heads from a busted sunroof.
Tell me about it :lol: I was happy :doe: , but still 7 years on an egg is enough. I was a little too responsible when I was in mid 20s.
Nephew of a :plac: a few first gen immigrant on DFD, resident turk, and ex nazi egg lover now driving a middle class mom mobile.