Dem bicicletas dos, doe.

Health, fitness, and nutrition freaks, lets see those gainz.
Johnny_P
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue short bus

fledonfoot wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 9:12 pm I did a 15 mile lap around valley forge and down the SRT yesterday on the MTB with 2.8 fat tires… that was fun keeping them rolling.

Man, I’d love a gravel/adventure/whatever bike if I lived close enough to do that on the regular.
They make flat bar gravel bikes, if that would be easier on the elbow.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

Johnny_P wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 10:24 am
D Griff wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 8:12 am

I actually got a helmet :lolol: Although it was a :scrooge: :dill: , I may get another one I like a bit more. It is a Kask Rapido.

I am just :notsure: on the shoe front, something like these seems kind of perfect all around: https://www.rei.com/product/178863/shim ... shoes-mens

Then I don't have to fiddle with multiple shoes/pedal types, I can walk like a normal person, easier to clip in/out of, etc. That said, I've never tried real road shoes so maybe I don't know what I'm missing. It's sort of a tough pill to swallow spending $300-400 for something that may or may not actually be better. :iono: I find most cyclists totally overrate the equipment and just getting better works just as well.

I can go out on my POS 30 pound Raleigh with commute tires in baggies and flat pedals and only be 8ish percent slower, so I just can't imagine a different cleat type is really going to change the game, but maybe it would as far as comfort goes or something else.

I do want a new saddle :doe: , :notsure: how to go about deciding on that one.
For the saddle, call around to local shops and see if they have a loaner saddle program. Usually you can try a bunch before buying and the rental fee gets deducted from the saddle price.
I'll give this a go, thanks for the suggestion man!
troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Trek Domane

D Griff wrote:My trail ride this morning got majorly rained out... bleh. Now I'm down a serious online shopping for bike shit rabbit hole. :disgust:

The Shimano PD-ES600 is regular (MTB) SPD and looks like a pretty dece/lightweight road pedal.
I use the ES600 on my "fast" bike and M540 on the "slow" one, with Fizik X5 terra shoes that are a pretty good compromise between :fullretard: road stuff and floppy trail shoes. Though I have not bothered with the shoes all summer, I'm happier with my SPD sandals when it's hot, humid, and raining constantly.

IIRC I paid about the same price for the X5 terra shoes as those Shimanos, but finding the right size took some time.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

troyguitar wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 12:57 pm
D Griff wrote:My trail ride this morning got majorly rained out... bleh. Now I'm down a serious online shopping for bike shit rabbit hole. :disgust:

The Shimano PD-ES600 is regular (MTB) SPD and looks like a pretty dece/lightweight road pedal.
I use the ES600 on my "fast" bike and M540 on the "slow" one, with Fizik X5 terra shoes that are a pretty good compromise between :fullretard: road stuff and floppy trail shoes. Though I have not bothered with the shoes all summer, I'm happier with my SPD sandals when it's hot, humid, and raining constantly.

IIRC I paid about the same price for the X5 terra shoes as those Shimanos, but finding the right size took some time.
:nice: they appear to be available on Amazon for around the $120 mark. They look pretty comparable to the Shimanos, I'll have to read up a bit more.

You moved to FL just in time for the worst weather, at least it's all uphill from here, October-April is when it really shines.
troyguitar

D Griff wrote:
troyguitar wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 12:57 pm I use the ES600 on my "fast" bike and M540 on the "slow" one, with Fizik X5 terra shoes that are a pretty good compromise between :fullretard: road stuff and floppy trail shoes. Though I have not bothered with the shoes all summer, I'm happier with my SPD sandals when it's hot, humid, and raining constantly.

:nice: they appear to be available on Amazon for around the $120 mark. They look pretty comparable to the Shimanos, I'll have to read up a bit more.

You moved to FL just in time for the worst weather, at least it's all uphill from here, October-April is when it really shines.
I think the Fizik is a lighter and stiffer shoe. It's pretty solid to the point where I wouldn't want to walk around town for more than a few blocks at a time in them.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

troyguitar wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 1:47 pm
D Griff wrote:

I think the Fizik is a lighter and stiffer shoe. It's pretty solid to the point where I wouldn't want to walk around town for more than a few blocks at a time in them.
:notbad: that is pretty much perfect for what I'm looking for honestly. An almost road shoe. I will keep the Shimanos [user not found] gave me around for real trail stuff most likely.
Johnny_P

I’ve been using Crank Brothers Candy pedals which have a little platform. Been great for CX use. No adverse effects seen on road rides either, I have not been getting hot spots on my feet.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

[user not found] wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 6:05 pm
D Griff wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 8:12 am

I actually got a helmet :lolol: Although it was a :scrooge: :dill: , I may get another one I like a bit more. It is a Kask Rapido.

I am just :notsure: on the shoe front, something like these seems kind of perfect all around: https://www.rei.com/product/178863/shim ... shoes-mens

Then I don't have to fiddle with multiple shoes/pedal types, I can walk like a normal person, easier to clip in/out of, etc. That said, I've never tried real road shoes so maybe I don't know what I'm missing. It's sort of a tough pill to swallow spending $300-400 for something that may or may not actually be better. :iono: I find most cyclists totally overrate the equipment and just getting better works just as well.

I can go out on my POS 30 pound Raleigh with commute tires in baggies and flat pedals and only be 8ish percent slower, so I just can't imagine a different cleat type is really going to change the game, but maybe it would as far as comfort goes or something else.

I do want a new saddle :doe: , :notsure: how to go about deciding on that one.
:wat:

$300-400 on shoes? What shoes are you looking at…?

I run a set of Shimano ME4s with XT pedals on the MTB/Gravel, and Shimano RP9s on the road with 105 composite pedals.

Neither setup is fancy (the road setup is semi-fancy, with carbon soles and moldable inserts; the current version retails for $150), but they’ve been dead nuts reliable and very comfy. I’ve never seen the point in spending more than $150 on a pair of shoes. I don’t need to have the best or lightest anything, I just require a little form but mostly function. I think I spent about $100 on either pair at the time of purchase.

Dedicated road shoes are nice, you get a stiffer sole and a wider pedal platform, which means better power transfer and less foot fatigue. Even if you aren’t getting hot spots now, it doesn’t mean you won’t benefit.
Sadly this doesn't seem to be available in my size:
troyguitar

D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Do want...
troyguitar

I was going to buy those but decided to stick with Fizik since I knew my size in them. Not as cool looking but half the price and they fit me well.

Johnny_P

Bought a new helmet. POC Omne Spin. It was $105 on clearance and is a :gay: peach / orange color.

Somewhat excited NGL.

Where can I get decent bar tape that is camo? I dicked mine up last time I was out.
Johnny_P

What are y’all using for rear lights? Current poverty one died. Probably just a battery but I didn’t like it anyway.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Johnny_P wrote: Sat Sep 11, 2021 8:12 pm What are y’all using for rear lights? Current poverty one died. Probably just a battery but I didn’t like it anyway.
I have Cygolites front and back, they seem to be pretty robust and quite bright.
troyguitar

D Griff wrote:
Johnny_P wrote: Sat Sep 11, 2021 8:12 pm What are y’all using for rear lights? Current poverty one died. Probably just a battery but I didn’t like it anyway.
I have Cygolites front and back, they seem to be pretty robust and quite bright.
I have 2 sets of them, so far so good. The small cube one (50 lumen) isn't very bright in the daytime though, so I would recommend the 150 set.

https://www.amazon.com/CYGOLITE-LIGHT-C ... 07545T4Y9/

After I got hit last year I actually bought the 350 but that's probably overkill for most people.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

troyguitar wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 12:24 am
D Griff wrote:
I have 2 sets of them, so far so good. The small cube one (50 lumen) isn't very bright in the daytime though, so I would recommend the 150 set.

https://www.amazon.com/CYGOLITE-LIGHT-C ... 07545T4Y9/

After I got hit last year I actually bought the 350 but that's probably overkill for most people.
:dat: is the set I have, it’s pretty bright, I ride at night with them from time to time.

Great customer service as well, I dropped the headlight on pavement and they fixed it for me free even though it was totally my fault.
troyguitar

The slowness continues. I did a whopping 14.8 mph today at 162 bpm.

I guess I need to give up on the idea of ever riding with other people. I'll never be able to keep up.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

troyguitar wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 6:16 pm The slowness continues. I did a whopping 14.8 mph today at 162 bpm.

I guess I need to give up on the idea of ever riding with other people. I'll never be able to keep up.
:iono: that is plenty fast enough for many of the groups here. It's just tricky finding the right people that aren't either too fast or too slow. My wife did her first ever group ride Sunday, 12 miles through the city before beers/brunch at a brewery. It was a whopping 12 miles in like 80 minutes :lolol: Still fun though, we got my buddy and his gf to join and it was just a bit healthier version of hanging at a brewery.

I also tend to get a bit faster when it's cooler, so you may add an MPH come Novemberish.

I think I need to order some GP5000TL in 28 mm, my current 25mm rear tire is looking pretty worn down. What's the best way to determine when to replace? No cords showing yet but it is pretty flat in the center... these things aren't cheap and it's only been eight months, I don't want to replace early unnecessarily. 2,808 miles on the bike/tires as of this morning.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Hooptie Crotchfruit Carrier

2,800 miles, dang. I think I have about 25 on the Emonda. No idea why I bought this thing.
troyguitar

D Griff wrote:
troyguitar wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 6:16 pm The slowness continues. I did a whopping 14.8 mph today at 162 bpm.

:iono: that is plenty fast enough for many of the groups here. It's just tricky finding the right people that aren't either too fast or too slow. My wife did her first ever group ride Sunday, 12 miles through the city before beers/brunch at a brewery. It was a whopping 12 miles in like 80 minutes Imageol: Still fun though, we got my buddy and his gf to join and it was just a bit healthier version of hanging at a brewery.

I also tend to get a bit faster when it's cooler, so you may add an MPH come Novemberish.

I think I need to order some GP5000TL in 28 mm, my current 25mm rear tire is looking pretty worn down. What's the best way to determine when to replace? No cords showing yet but it is pretty flat in the center... these things aren't cheap and it's only been eight months, I don't want to replace early unnecessarily. 2,808 miles on the bike/tires as of this morning.
Replace when you start getting flats. Otherwise :aintcare:
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

coogles wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 4:05 pm 2,800 miles, dang. I think I have about 25 on the Emonda. No idea why I bought this thing.
3,927 for the year so far in total miles biked, I am surprised by how much I am still putting on the Raleigh just :derp: around. I was riding to the office for a bit, but only two days/week for a month before that was shut down again.

You'll have more time eventually.

How are you liking it?
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

troyguitar wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 4:17 pm
D Griff wrote:
:iono: that is plenty fast enough for many of the groups here. It's just tricky finding the right people that aren't either too fast or too slow. My wife did her first ever group ride Sunday, 12 miles through the city before beers/brunch at a brewery. It was a whopping 12 miles in like 80 minutes Imageol: Still fun though, we got my buddy and his gf to join and it was just a bit healthier version of hanging at a brewery.

Replace when you start getting flats. Otherwise :aintcare:
:notbad:

They are expensive. I may order a set so that I actually get them in two or three months when they're needed.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

D Griff wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 4:23 pm
coogles wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 4:05 pm 2,800 miles, dang. I think I have about 25 on the Emonda. No idea why I bought this thing.
3,927 for the year so far in total miles biked, I am surprised by how much I am still putting on the Raleigh just :derp: around. I was riding to the office for a bit, but only two days/week for a month before that was shut down again.

You'll have more time eventually.

How are you liking it?
Honestly? I wish I'd have bought the hybrid. My old 26" MTB is handling the neighborhood duties and it's just incredibly slow, and I'd get a lot more use out of something like the Trek FX I almost bought than the Emonda. Getting on the Emonda for 30 minutes to do a quick loop around the 'burbs and then plop back in front of the computer is a pretty :flaccid: experience on top of that. I'd just as soon hop on the Peloton with some music, some motivation, and without having to constantly watch for cars. I looked into offing it to TPC already but they've stopped taking bikes. The bike overall is great, though. It's comfortable, and tubeless 28s at 80psi really help kill the road buzz.

If anybody wants it, hit me up. I can have it professionally boxed and will ship.
troyguitar

Damn 80 psi? I run 60 psi on my 25s.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

troyguitar wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 6:19 pm Damn 80 psi? I run 60 psi on my 25s.
No idea, that's just what the shop recommended. I filled this out and it came back with 69(nice) up front and 73 out back for me.

https://axs.sram.com/guides/tire/pressure