Car Talk 5: The Juice is Loose!

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Trek Domane

I've never driven one with an auto or the 4.6 for that matter, only the newer coyote and 3.7 V6. The 3.7 is not bad either with the right gearing.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

Johnny_P wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 11:33 am That automatic blows tho
Yeah... if you're looking at older cars, auto is a tough pill to swallow. They really only got decent in the past 5-10 years.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

troyguitar wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 11:30 am The funny thing is that with every car getting soooo big and heavy and numb and nannied with tiny windows and trunk openings, I am actually kind of interested in the old 2005-10 Mustang GT... They look pretty badass now. 300 hp on 87, 3500 lbs, and almost the exact same size as a new 3 series. The 5-speed auto was introduced in 2005 and is geared nicely from the factory for acceleration in 1-2-3 and fuel economy in 4-5.

No hatch :doe: because :thanksobama:
I wish any of those cars were made in a liftback style like they were in the 80s. So much more useful.

I find Mustangs kind of aggravating because they are pretty sweet but they are just so damn big and yet so damn small. My 328i is significantly smaller than a new Mustang and has sooo much more room, it is really :butwhy: , especially considering they are both RWD and BMW uses inline sixes which should be longer than a V8.
troyguitar

D Griff wrote:
troyguitar wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 11:30 am The funny thing is that with every car getting soooo big and heavy and numb and nannied with tiny windows and trunk openings, I am actually kind of interested in the old 2005-10 Mustang GT... They look pretty badass now. 300 hp on 87, 3500 lbs, and almost the exact same size as a new 3 series. The 5-speed auto was introduced in 2005 and is geared nicely from the factory for acceleration in 1-2-3 and fuel economy in 4-5.

No hatch :doe: because :thanksobama:
I wish any of those cars were made in a liftback style like they were in the 80s. So much more useful.

I find Mustangs kind of aggravating because they are pretty sweet but they are just so damn big and yet so damn small. My 328i is significantly smaller than a new Mustang and has sooo much more room, it is really :butwhy: , especially considering they are both RWD and BMW uses inline sixes which should be longer than a V8.
Yeah, the real answer is probably a cheap Volt and an extension cord whenever the time comes.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

troyguitar wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 12:11 pm
D Griff wrote:

Yeah, the real answer is probably a cheap Volt and an extension cord whenever the time comes.
It looks like you can get a pretty solid Volt for sub $15K... that is actually kind of appealing.

I could see having a Volt and a GR86 if I ever am willing to do two cars again.
RLWake
Meat Patty 2nd Class
Meat Patty 2nd Class
Drives: CHEESE

D Griff wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 10:23 am
Tarspin wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 10:21 am

I kind of like the base civic hatch with the NA (k20) motor. 158 hp of pure linear fury, and probably the most reliable thing they produce at Honda. The LX was around 23k. :notbad:
I agree but it would have to be a :manuel: for me... CVT with some gutless-ish motor is a :nope:

I weirdly sort of covet some NA poverty manual hatch to be honest. I am just not a big fan of the turBRO driving experience.
‘22 civic hatch sport gets the 2.0 with a :manuel:
2010 Audi TT APR Stg1 (sold) >> 2012 BMW 335i FBO (sold) >> 2009 Miata zoom-zoom spec "Cheese" (sold) >> 2022 Hyundai Elantra N + 1999 Miata Maacover Project
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

D Griff wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 12:29 pm
troyguitar wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 12:11 pm Yeah, the real answer is probably a cheap Volt and an extension cord whenever the time comes.
It looks like you can get a pretty solid Volt for sub $15K... that is actually kind of appealing.

I really liked our Volt, it was a great car that was surprisingly fun to drive. Just not great when trying to take more than 2 people, which makes the sedan body type :butwhy: We spent 90% of our time with that car with the rear seats folded down. Since it was a liftback, it could fit a ton of stuff back there.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

RLWake wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 12:50 pm

I agree but it would have to be a :manuel: for me... CVT with some gutless-ish motor is a :nope:

I weirdly sort of covet some NA poverty manual hatch to be honest. I am just not a big fan of the turBRO driving experience.
:notbad: honestly. I am intrigued with the next gen Si, Type R, and Integra :popcorn:
Johnny_P
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue short bus

Probably pretty fun. The Elantra had like 140 HP and a CVT and it was pretty snappy. The Civic has almost 160 I think.

Funny. The base engine is pretty close to the sport compact power levels of the early 2000’s. Sentra SE-R, Focus SVT, hell even the guppy face Civic SI hatch.
ChrisoftheNorth

D Griff wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 1:31 pm

:notbad: honestly. I am intrigued with the next gen Si, Type R, and Integra :popcorn:
New Acura products seem legit :notbad: :popcorn: on the Integra for sure.

Interesting that there's a business case for a such a vehicle these days. A compact premium car just seems dead, hopefully it's good and sells well to prove to the industry there's still interest in these things.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Johnny_P wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 1:44 pm

Probably pretty fun. The Elantra had like 140 HP and a CVT and it was pretty snappy. The Civic has almost 160 I think.

Funny. The base engine is pretty close to the sport compact power levels of the early 2000’s. Sentra SE-R, Focus SVT, hell even the guppy face Civic SI hatch.
I think it's actually the same engine as the EP3 Si :lolol:

Basically a not as revy version of the K20.
troyguitar

D Griff wrote:
troyguitar wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 12:11 pm Yeah, the real answer is probably a cheap Volt and an extension cord whenever the time comes.

I need to see if the 2nd gen was available with a non-black cloth interior. That's going to be a requirement for any future vehicle purchase. Almost anything else could possibly be acceptable depending on circumstances, but I'm not dealing with black or (p)leather ever again.
ChrisoftheNorth

troyguitar wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 2:32 pm
D Griff wrote:

I need to see if the 2nd gen was available with a non-black cloth interior. That's going to be a requirement for any future vehicle purchase. Almost anything else could possibly be acceptable depending on circumstances, but I'm not dealing with black or (p)leather ever again.
I'm almost certain there was a grey cloth interior, I swear I saw one. Ours was black leather, you definitely don't want that where you live.
troyguitar

Detroit wrote:
troyguitar wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 2:32 pm I need to see if the 2nd gen was available with a non-black cloth interior. That's going to be a requirement for any future vehicle purchase. Almost anything else could possibly be acceptable depending on circumstances, but I'm not dealing with black or (p)leather ever again.
I'm almost certain there was a grey cloth interior, I swear I saw one. Ours was black leather, you definitely don't want that where you live.
I know that the first gen offered gray cloth, so worst case that would be an option. I'm not thrilled about the capacitive buttons or premium fuel requirement though.

troyguitar

Jesus. I can't type on a phone.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

I kind of like that the first gen is uglier. Second gen is a bit boring for my tastes, but probably a better car.
troyguitar

D Griff wrote:I kind of like that the first gen is uglier. Second gen is a bit boring for my tastes, but probably a better car.
I don't think it's uglier, it looks cool. The 2nd gen doesn't look like anything. The original is vaguely reminiscent of a DeLorean.
ChrisoftheNorth

D Griff wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 2:55 pm I kind of like that the first gen is uglier. Second gen is a bit boring for my tastes, but probably a better car.
It's a way better car. The capacitive touch in the first gen blew, along with the premium fuel requirement Troy pointed out. 2nd gen also gets double the EV range and overall feels more polished IMO.

At least the 2nd gen is still a liftback. It would have been far more usable as a long roof hatch :doe: but the only way GM makes those is as SUVs :disgust:
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Sad! I like the weird looking EVs like gen 1 Volt and Insight.
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: An Okinowa Cruiseship
Location: 6 miles north of Sleepy Joes House & 5 miles from Bosphorus Channel

troyguitar wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 8:47 pm
MexicanYarisTK wrote:
Veloster N still exists and also with DCT, slightly larger than an abarth or the i3.
Isn't it nearly $40k and discontinued anyway?
The regular Veloster does, just like the regular Golf. But the N stays. Also starting price is higher than expected.
https://www.motor1.com/news/519746/hyun ... only-2022/

Also the Kona N is coming soon as well, time will tell how much the costs would be.
Nephew of a :plac: a few first gen immigrant on DFD, resident turk, and ex nazi egg lover now driving a middle class mom mobile.
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: An Okinowa Cruiseship
Location: 6 miles north of Sleepy Joes House & 5 miles from Bosphorus Channel

RLWake wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 5:04 pm
MexicanYarisTK wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 1:57 pm

Veloster N still exists and also with DCT, slightly larger than an abarth or the i3.
Good luck with that. All the N’s are plagued by shit availability and infuriating markups. Last I looked the only new Veloster N in central Flawda was marked up to $40k.
Jesus!! Thats bizarre for a small hot hatch, let alone the company that not too long ago used to have a bad reputation too.
Nephew of a :plac: a few first gen immigrant on DFD, resident turk, and ex nazi egg lover now driving a middle class mom mobile.
RLWake
Meat Patty 2nd Class
Meat Patty 2nd Class

Detroit wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 2:12 pm
D Griff wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 1:31 pm

New Acura products seem legit :notbad: :popcorn: on the Integra for sure.

Interesting that there's a business case for a such a vehicle these days. A compact premium car just seems dead, hopefully it's good and sells well to prove to the industry there's still interest in these things.
The 2021 ILX my :tits: has is great. I’ve been taking it everywhere instead of the miata when she’s off work. K24 + that dual clutch is great. It’s the first DCT I’ve seen where I can go from 8 > 3rd by rapid-firing the down paddle. It’s a pretty fun car, and the adaptive cruise is nice.
2010 Audi TT APR Stg1 (sold) >> 2012 BMW 335i FBO (sold) >> 2009 Miata zoom-zoom spec "Cheese" (sold) >> 2022 Hyundai Elantra N + 1999 Miata Maacover Project
RLWake
Meat Patty 2nd Class
Meat Patty 2nd Class

Also I went and test drove a Mazda3 today. It was a hatchback, premium, manual, polymetal grey over black. It was a nice little car, especially for the price. At first I didn’t like the manual, but then I realized that I’m just spoiled by the feel and feedback from :cheese: :manuel: .

I need to make a trip to VW, Kia, and Hyundai as well. That Kia Forte GT2 seems like a steal. Cooled seats, a nice dct or manual with a 1.6T, all the A-tier Kia self driving stuff, and all for like 27 MSRP. Too bad the nearest one of those Kias is like 80 miles away. Gonna have to make a day out of that.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

RLWake wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 4:38 pm Also I went and test drove a Mazda3 today. It was a hatchback, premium, manual, polymetal grey over black. It was a nice little car, especially for the price. At first I didn’t like the manual, but then I realized that I’m just spoiled by the feel and feedback from :cheese: :manuel: .

I need to make a trip to VW, Kia, and Hyundai as well. That Kia Forte GT2 seems like a steal. Cooled seats, a nice dct or manual with a 1.6T, all the A-tier Kia self driving stuff, and all for like 27 MSRP. Too bad the nearest one of those Kias is like 80 miles away. Gonna have to make a day out of that.
:dat: Most won't be as good to be honest :disappoint: Also if you haven't had a FWD :manuel: , there's obviously a lot more linkage going on so it's difficult to replicate the Miata where it is a stick going right into the trans.

Are you dumping the Miata or just looking to get into a nicer DD on top of it?
RLWake
Meat Patty 2nd Class
Meat Patty 2nd Class

D Griff wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 4:45 pm
RLWake wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 4:38 pm Also I went and test drove a Mazda3 today. It was a hatchback, premium, manual, polymetal grey over black. It was a nice little car, especially for the price. At first I didn’t like the manual, but then I realized that I’m just spoiled by the feel and feedback from :cheese: :manuel: .

:dat: Most won't be as good to be honest :disappoint: Also if you haven't had a FWD :manuel: , there's obviously a lot more linkage going on so it's difficult to replicate the Miata where it is a stick going right into the trans.

Are you dumping the Miata or just looking to get into a nicer DD on top of it?
Dumping is 100% not the right word. Moving on? Very, very likely. I have a close friend who has agreed to buy it, assuming he can get the cash together. I give that about a 90% chance of working out. He’s been set on finding a nice NC for quite a while now. He gets to know everything about the car and have confidence when he buys it, and I get to sell it to someone I know is gonna take care of it.

I’m gonna buy whatever new DD, prep and sell :cheese:, probably take care of some things with some of the money from the sale, and then sit and wait to find something to have as a second car. Suzuki X-90, Cappuccino, NB Miata, something like that. Maybe an old bmw if I can find a good one.