:wrong: Soviet car reviews

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
Desertbreh
Command Chief Master Sirloin

SAWCE wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 3:53 pm
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 3:24 pm

I've tried it but I'm out.
Nah Brah. We're getting ripped wide open and then eating as many burgers as The Friendly can pump out before it wears off.
:notbad:
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
razr390
Drives: MK7.5 on 87

I could go for a burger…. :drool:
:doughnut: :narc: :doughnut:
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:05 pm DFD. The forum where everybody makes the same choices and then tells anybody trying to join the club that they are the stupidest motherfucker to ever walk the earth.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

HerrBerlin wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 5:09 pm
max225 wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 2:26 pm
:hibachi:
My buddy who has 2 was going to give me one for the weekend. But his woman started bitching about it, and even though he won than fight I felt a bit awkward.

To be honest I’m not really into the Y because to me the X is superior in every way.

I was going to try and rent an I3 next because that’s the “cheap” car I was considering … yet this receives so much negative attention here that I’m not sure if I want to spend all that time taking pics/doing write up for y’all.

Because Tesla is obviously the worst car ever and only the worst people ever drive them and everyone saying anything to the contrary is :wrong:
The Tesla hate here is :lolol: to me and very much inline with the opinions in any car community I've been a part of. Yeah, there are some valid criticisms on them but I don't get the whole "OMG I could never understand why someone would spend $100k on a car that has doors that open weirdly and will obviously fail 8 years from now!" Very few people here own cars long enough to care about long term reliability so :whocares:

I'd be interested in a write up on the I3. It's been a while since I've driven one, but I remember it being a lot of fun to drive. There used to be a car share service in Seattle that only had I3s, minis, and base 3-series in their fleet so they used to be everywhere here, but they closed shop.
Truth.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
troyguitar
Drives: Trek Domane

max225 wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 4:52 pm
troyguitar wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 4:47 pm Yeah I'm still debating whether I should care about the range problem. Either way a first gen i3 would technically work for my planned regular driving - I don't expect to be playing shows more than 20ish miles from home and everything else I do is within 10 miles one way.

Not being able to pack up and drive to Montreal for the summer or whatever does feel like a serious compromise even if I might never do it. I would like to have the option, it would be nice to "summer" somewhere.
You could always "turo" or rent during those times. I would avoid the first gen. BMW did a ton of updates from 14>19. 3 distinct refreshes all adding useful range.

What does your power cost in florida? (per kw)? If you're ok without the range extender... they can be even cheaper. In around 20-22k used for a 19+
Looks like we're at 15-16 cents per kWhr up to 1000 each month and 18-20 above 1000. For the month of July we just used 1065 as an example, so adding charging a car would likely end up at the higher rate at least during the 6 months of 90 degree heat... but in theory we will end up with solar shit on the roof in the next few years too so charging could be "free" after the panels are paid off in 20 years.

I don't care as much about the :math: in this case, I'm more interested in the idea of a :neat: little fun cheap hatch that has a full charge every morning. It's probably still better for me to get something like a Scion tC or other random unwanted thing for $10k+ less than an i3, and put gas in it once a month. The insurance delta alone would likely cancel out the cost of gas ($3 here for 87 now).
Last edited by troyguitar on Tue Aug 10, 2021 9:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
max225
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

That statement really depends … I nursed a crown Vic to 410k miles, also drove around a first gen taco for a year, and now have a 2010 tsx that will likely be here until we get nuked. So yea I do care but it depends on the vehicle and circumstance.

My experiences on my first couple of cars made me acutely aware of reliability flaws and maintenance since I did so much of the repair work myself :disgust:
troyguitar

Hmm, in May and June we only used 683 and 825 kWh. Maybe we'd only be at the higher rate for July-September.
max225

troyguitar wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 9:03 pm
max225 wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 4:52 pm

You could always "turo" or rent during those times. I would avoid the first gen. BMW did a ton of updates from 14>19. 3 distinct refreshes all adding useful range.

What does your power cost in florida? (per kw)? If you're ok without the range extender... they can be even cheaper. In around 20-22k used for a 19+
Looks like we're at 15-16 cents per kWhr up to 1000 each month and 18-20 above 1000. For the month of July we just used 1065 as an example, so adding charging a car would likely end up at the higher rate at least during the 6 months of 90 degree heat... but in theory we will end up with solar shit on the roof in the next few years too so charging could be "free" after the panels are paid off in 20 years.

I don't care as much about the :math: in this case, I'm more interested in the idea of a :neat: little fun cheap hatch that has a full charge every morning. It's probably still better for me to get something like a Scion tC or other random unwanted thing for $10k+ less than an i3, and put gas in it once a month.
Wow that’s surprisingly expensive … I mean you’d still be at 6-8 cents a mile or so but my friends in Texas are at 4.4 cents a kWh. So much for another cheap COL state.

They will be dirt cheap in 6-12 months. Ain’t nobody buying these things when a model 3 is faster and cheaper and goes 2.2x as much on a charge.

But once depreciation takes them fully down they will be an incredible value.
troyguitar

Our nominal rate is about 11 cents/kWh but looking at the actual bills it's effectively 15-16 with all of the taxes and fees.

Our car insurance is also $168 a month for a single 2014 Mazda3, shared by a married 35 year old couple with zero claims and good driving records.

FL ain't cheap.
razr390
Drives: MK7.5 on 87

troyguitar wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 9:15 pm Our nominal rate is about 11 cents/kWh but looking at the actual bills it's effectively 15-16 with all of the taxes and fees.

Our car insurance is also $168 a month for a single 2014 Mazda3, shared by a married 35 year old couple with zero claims and good driving records.

FL ain't cheap.
Florida no fault law for insurance. That’s why it’s more expensive.
:doughnut: :narc: :doughnut:
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:05 pm DFD. The forum where everybody makes the same choices and then tells anybody trying to join the club that they are the stupidest motherfucker to ever walk the earth.
max225

troyguitar wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 9:15 pm Our nominal rate is about 11 cents/kWh but looking at the actual bills it's effectively 15-16 with all of the taxes and fees.

FL ain't cheap.
How’s your hurricane/home owners ? I read that they tend to be pretty high down there due to roof fraud or whatever
max225

Oh look a great custom plate
troyguitar

max225 wrote:

FL ain't cheap.
How’s your hurricane/home owners ? I read that they tend to be pretty high down there due to roof fraud or whatever
It's less crazy at $2k/yr but that is probably highly location dependent. We don't have or need additional flood insurance since we're 50-100 ft above the water in the middle of town.
max225

troyguitar wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 11:30 pm
max225 wrote: How’s your hurricane/home owners ? I read that they tend to be pretty high down there due to roof fraud or whatever
It's less crazy at $2k/yr but that is probably highly location dependent. We don't have or need additional flood insurance since we're 50-100 ft above the water in the middle of town.
Yea that’s really :notbad:
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

troyguitar wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 3:23 pm I think that my wife and I are the only people I've ever met who don't vape/smoke pot, so IMO every car brand is full of junkie drivers.
I don't think anyone on these forums but you has ever advocated that driving under the influence of any drug is OK :lolol:

I am off of the Dev Lett at the moment due to job interviews and some other things but I will likely go back to occasional use when all of that is behind me in one way or another.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

max225 wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 2:26 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 2:05 pm You rent the model Y yet or nah?
:hibachi:
My buddy who has 2 was going to give me one for the weekend. But his woman started bitching about it, and even though he won than fight I felt a bit awkward.

To be honest I’m not really into the Y because to me the X is superior in every way.

I was going to try and rent an I3 next because that’s the “cheap” car I was considering … yet this receives so much negative attention here that I’m not sure if I want to spend all that time taking pics/doing write up for y’all.

Because Tesla is obviously the worst car ever and only the worst people ever drive them and everyone saying anything to the contrary is :wrong:
:iono: I think only one or two people here hate the i3? Johnny has been in one a lot it sounds like and had a legitimate bad experience.

FWIW I really enjoy your reviews and I actually think the i3 is awesome (I've only sat in them at shows and stuff, never driven/ridden), so I for one would like to see it.

I will fully own being a Tessie hater and admit that the cars are :impressive: , I have been in them and driven one. I just hate the brand, the CEO, all that he stands for, and the fact that almost every owner is a weird smug douche willing to die on a hill defending their shitbag CEO hero. The company is borderline criminal in many ways IMO. So I will carry on talking shit about them for those reasons and it is also just not really for me, much like Corvettes aren't for many people but I really like them :iono:
troyguitar

IDGAF that people do it (except for the the fact that it stinks like hell in smoked form, which is obnoxious), the point was that "everyone" uses that shit whether they drive a Subaru or a :truk: or a Vespa.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

FL ain't cheap.
Holy shit... that is more than 1.5X what we pay for a Corvette, BMW, and Jeep...
troyguitar

D Griff wrote:

FL ain't cheap.
Holy shit... that is more than 1.5X what we pay for a Corvette, BMW, and Jeep...
It's triple what we paid for the same car with the same carrier and policy in NY. :wasteful:

It also reinforces the decision to only have one car. :math:
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

troyguitar wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 11:09 am IDGAF that people do it (except for the the fact that it stinks like hell in smoked form, which is obnoxious), the point was that "everyone" uses that shit whether they drive a Subaru or a :truk: or a Vespa.
:notwrong:

I get passed by people with weed clouds coming out of their cars on my bike every ride, which is rather disturbing :thisisfine:
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: C5

troyguitar wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 3:23 pm I think that my wife and I are the only people I've ever met who don't vape/smoke pot, so IMO every car brand is full of junkie drivers.
I've never done either. :aintcare:
max225

To get this back on track:
So as of now... The only option is a BMW I3 without REX.

Annoyingly this one is 40 miles from my house (one way) AND there is no easy way for me to charge... so this is a bit peculiar. It only goes 150 miles on a full charge... so I'd return on RED and have to charge somewhere. (I have no charging infrastructure at home) .

But a hottish AZN has it... Such conflict much wow.
Desertbreh

max225 wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 12:55 pm To get this back on track:

Annoyingly this one is 40 miles from my house (one way) AND there is no easy way for me to charge... so this is a bit peculiar. It only goes 150 miles on a full charge... so I'd return on RED and have to charge somewhere. (I have no charging infrastructure at home) .

So you're out on the X?
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
max225

Desertbreh wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 12:57 pm
max225 wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 12:55 pm To get this back on track:

So you're out on the X?
I am :notsure: I won't plop down 135k cash (car + taxrape) without knowing ALL of my options. This thing would be around 26-30k and obviously infinitely less cool.. But it would allow me to do everything I want out of an EV. AH and once again we're back to the Civic Sport and Bmw M3 comparison... some people never change.

Ideally I would also explore leasing options on the I3 as it is bound to be ridiculously cheap... soon enough.

That said, I am not a huge fan of that sort of cash outlay at the moment even though I do really like said vehicle. 135k is 2 years of :aintcare: retirement.
Desertbreh

max225 wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 1:00 pm
Desertbreh wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 12:57 pm

So you're out on the X?
I am :notsure: I won't plop down 135k cash (car + taxrape) without knowing ALL of my options. This thing would be around 26-30k and obviously infinitely less cool.. But it would allow me to do everything I want out of an EV. AH and once again we're back to the Civic Sport and Bmw M3 comparison... some people never change.

Ideally I would also explore leasing options on the I3 as it is bound to be ridiculously cheap... soon enough.

That said, I am not a huge fan of that sort of cash outlay at the moment even though I do really like said vehicle. 135k is 2 years of :aintcare: retirement.
I am not going to blow six digits on something that is not :amazing: A really fast toaster is still a toaster.
max225

Pros.
Quickest SUV on the planet, finally something with balls as opposed to cuck mobiles.
IMO very cool
Incredibly relaxing to drive (this is very difficult to describe, but you're never tired when you leave one)
Charge at home and don't get robbed at gas station, in todays world a huge plus.
Does everything I want it to do, and likely doesn't require a secondary "fun" vehicle

Cons.
Stupid Money
Possible quality issues
Long term reliability
Long term ownership costs (tires 2k every 25k miles, 1k+ annually in registration, ?? insurance) etc.