Car Talk 5: The Juice is Loose!

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: C5

max225 wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 12:39 pm
CaleDeRoo wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 12:36 pm

Well you're too young for a Miata RF so what else you gonna do? 400z? Gonna be the same problem as the BRZ. EMBRACE THE BRO
Miata RF seems fine. Similar price point too…
M2 is Right up my alley but I just dont know if I want a “fun” car at the moment. Fun comes at the compromise of ride quality/road noise. And for some reason I care about that now… :wap:

Drove the mini 90 miles yesterday. It’s a good car. But it simply isn’t relaxing to drive.
I get you mang. I just paid money for stock C5 seats because I wanted that AARP seat foam. That C8 is right up your alley if you fit, so long as you get magride for that magic carpet life.
HerrBerlin
Meat Patty 2nd Class
Meat Patty 2nd Class
Drives: occasionally

max225 wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 11:11 am
HerrBerlin wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 5:27 pm Got to drive and ride in a 2021 Crosstrek Sport for ~200 miles this past weekend. Drove like a toaster which I'm not convinced is the worst thing in the world anymore. It road nicely and didn't feel underpowered. Steering felt dead, but it's nice knowing that you can take it soft roading as needed.

@detroit is right in that it's great for what it is. If I end up replacing the Hype R this is a definite candidate. I'd probably miss the power and it felt pretty cheap on the inside, but it would ultimately be a great car for what I need.

Did you drive this one with the horrendous tires?
Yup :lol: curious to know how different it would feel on the stock setup.
HerrBerlin
Meat Patty 2nd Class
Meat Patty 2nd Class

Detroit wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 11:33 am

:dat:

I wonder how different it is from mine with stock 17's
Me too. The wheels are 15s so I think the overall diameter is within 0.5in of stock. There was some tire noise that I bet wouldn't be there on the stock ones.
max225
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

HerrBerlin wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 12:43 pm

No wonder the steering felt dead. Did they rub on full lock ?

Also how’s the road noise on those ?
HerrBerlin
Meat Patty 2nd Class
Meat Patty 2nd Class

Well you're too young for a Miata RF so what else you gonna do? 400z? Gonna be the same problem as the BRZ. EMBRACE THE BRO
M2 is Right up my alley but I just dont know if I want a “fun” car at the moment. Fun comes at the compromise of ride quality/road noise. And for some reason I care about that now… :wap:

Drove the mini 90 miles yesterday. It’s a good car. But it simply isn’t relaxing to drive.
Completely agreed which is why I'm even considering :plac:

If i had space for a second car i might feel different though.
Last edited by HerrBerlin on Thu Aug 05, 2021 12:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

MINI isn't relaxing, even the Countryman was pretty engaging. Which is good, but also bad if you want to chill. Roads are garbage, so chill driving is nice.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

We all want what we want, no hard in not doing a fun car, if you ever miss it, go for it. Given the fact that you don't drive the MINI, you are probably :notwrong: to not bother with it.
ChrisoftheNorth

max225 wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 12:45 pm

Was going to mention that. One of the things I like about ours is that the steering is pretty decent and the car is actually reasonably fun to drive. The 17s make a big difference I think.

Road noise is fine. It's a bit loud overall, but it's a cheap car. It's nothing you wouldn't expect from something on the cheaper side.

The car overall feels nice, but definitely built to a price point. The outside door handles and doors overall feel a bit cheap when opening and closing. I'm sure there's some missing deadening due to cost.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
HerrBerlin
Meat Patty 2nd Class
Meat Patty 2nd Class

Nope. The wheels are much smaller than stock so the dimensions of the actual tire are pretty close to the stock setup.

There was some road noise but nothing terrible. I'll have to go drive a stock one to see what the difference is actually like.
ChrisoftheNorth

HerrBerlin wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 12:44 pm
Detroit wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 11:33 am

I wonder how different it is from mine with stock 17's
Me too. The wheels are 15s so I think the overall diameter is within 0.5in of stock. There was some tire noise that I bet wouldn't be there on the stock ones.
I briefly considered 15s, but the handling with the 17s is really decent and I wouldn't want to compromise that since I drive more on road than off.

Maybe a set of Falken AT trails in the stock 17 size will be my compromise for more off road capability if I need it at some point.
HerrBerlin
Meat Patty 2nd Class
Meat Patty 2nd Class

Detroit wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 12:50 pm

Was going to mention that. One of the things I like about ours is that the steering is pretty decent and the car is actually reasonably fun to drive. The 17s make a big difference I think.

Road noise is fine. It's a bit loud overall, but it's a cheap car. It's nothing you wouldn't expect from something on the cheaper side.

The car overall feels nice, but definitely built to a price point. The outside door handles and doors overall feel a bit cheap when opening and closing. I'm sure there's some missing deadening due to cost.
Is there any play in your steering wheel? With this one, you could turn it an inch in either direction and still be tracking straight which i assume was from the tires?

Road noise was miles better than the Hype R for sure, even though it's not the quietest car. Can't really expect it to be at the price point.
ChrisoftheNorth

HerrBerlin wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 12:51 pm

Nope. The wheels are much smaller than stock so the dimensions of the actual tire are pretty close to the stock setup.

There was some road noise but nothing terrible. I'll have to go drive a stock one to see what the difference is actually like.
I'd be really curious to hear what you think vs stock. Stock works really well IMO.
max225

My comment about road noise was with regard to the tractor tires :doe: yours are fine I’m sure.

I refuse to put “agressive” tread tires on my Tacoma like so many do. They destroy everything but the “look”
ChrisoftheNorth

HerrBerlin wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 12:53 pm

Is there any play in your steering wheel? With this one, you could turn it an inch in either direction and still be tracking straight which i assume was from the tires?

Road noise was miles better than the Hype R for sure, even though it's not the quietest car. Can't really expect it to be at the price point.
No, steering in mine is immediate with zero play, but I think anything will feel sloppy compared to your Hype R. Again, a big reason I like it so much, no crossover I've driven is as close to fun as this.

I bet those marshmallow 15's really slop around. Good for off-road, but the tires are more capable than the car at that point. Beefier 17s would be the way IMO.
max225

Interesting … maybe it’s the angle but they look about 1/2-1” larger in diameter. Do you happen to know the size?
ChrisoftheNorth

max225 wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 12:56 pm

My comment about road noise was with regard to the tractor tires :doe: yours are fine I’m sure.

I refuse to put “agressive” tread tires on my Tacoma like so many do. They destroy everything but the “look”
Yea, tires make a huge difference for NVH. I always go the least aggressive that works. I'm concerned about durability of the minivan tires on the CT, but that's the only thing.
HerrBerlin
Meat Patty 2nd Class
Meat Patty 2nd Class

Detroit wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 12:57 pm
HerrBerlin wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 12:53 pm

No, steering in mine is immediate with zero play, but I think anything will feel sloppy compared to your Hype R. Again, a big reason I like it so much, no crossover I've driven is as close to fun as this.

I bet those marshmallow 15's really slop around. Good for off-road, but the tires are more capable than the car at that point. Beefier 17s would be the way IMO.
Definitely going to have to drive a stock one then because that was my least favorite part about the drive. It had to have been the tires.

He had some Fallen Wildpeaks on the stock wheels before these and those were probably a much better compromise than what's on there now. These things were installed the day before I got to drive it. :(
ChrisoftheNorth

max225 wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 12:57 pm

Interesting … maybe it’s the angle but they look about 1/2-1” larger in diameter. Do you happen to know the size?
IIRC 215/75r15 is the same OD as stock. The added sidewall makes it look a lot more beefy, and thus larger when they're not. Stock, the tires fill the wheel wells nicely.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

I am astonished by the number of Taco, 4R, Jeep, and TRUK bros here who run the crazy aggressive tires that just howl constantly going down the road. Hell, I run 200TW tires all the time on my 'vette and they are nowhere near as loud. It is :disgust:
ChrisoftheNorth

HerrBerlin wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 1:01 pm
Detroit wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 12:57 pm

Definitely going to have to drive a stock one then because that was my least favorite part about the drive. It had to have been the tires.

He had some Fallen Wildpeaks on the stock wheels before these and those were probably a much better compromise than what's on there now. These things were installed the day before I got to drive it. :(
I'd go with the Wildpeaks, personally. Why'd he change? Looks/boredom?
ChrisoftheNorth

D Griff wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 1:02 pm

I am astonished by the number of Taco, 4R, Jeep, and TRUK bros here who run the crazy aggressive tires that just howl constantly going down the road. Hell, I run 200TW tires all the time on my 'vette and they are nowhere near as loud. It is :disgust:
People are idiots and I've even met some that like the noise. :disgust:
HerrBerlin
Meat Patty 2nd Class
Meat Patty 2nd Class

215/75 15 vs 225/60 17, so size is pretty similar but the compound/extra sidewall obviously makes a big difference.

HerrBerlin
Meat Patty 2nd Class
Meat Patty 2nd Class

Detroit wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 1:01 pm

IIRC 215/75r15 is the same OD as stock. The added sidewall makes it look a lot more beefy, and thus larger when they're not. Stock, the tires fill the wheel wells nicely.
max225

Yup the first thing most do is “throw away the garbage Toyota put on it from the factory “ then they immediately lose 2-3 mpg but consider it “worth it” because they “look so good”.

Mind you 2-3 mpg on a 18mpg vehicle is horrendous. 15% reduction… vs say losing 2-3 @40 which won’t even be a blip.
HerrBerlin
Meat Patty 2nd Class
Meat Patty 2nd Class

Yeah I don't get it either, especially when most of them will never see any dirt.