OT 20: rotisserie roller coaster

Off-topic? You mean on-topic!
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

Desertbreh wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 12:31 pm
max225 wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 11:57 am

I took a $59.95 Coleman to Death Valley and it was fine. The most annoying this is draining the cold water after it melts. I don’t really get the whole 120lb $499 fridge thing. It’s nice but this isn’t a moon expedition.
I agree that for most applications "ordinary" coolers are muy bueno. I did just spring for a $400 YETI 45 with wheels

1. To join the YETI Bukkake party and see what the fuss was about but mostly
2. Because the retracting handle on my Igloo was a POS from day 1 and by now retracts only 35% of the time unless you say 15 Hail Marys.
The handle setup and wheels on the YETI are bulletproof as they should be.
3. To be cool AF.
I didn't know they made 45's with wheels. Kind of a little cooler for wheels, no?

I hate wheeled coolers because I'm too tall for them. I have to bend down as I walk to pull them, so I just end up carrying anyway :massles:
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Detroit wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 12:34 pm
wap wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 12:26 pm
:dat: is what I'm trying to avoid. On our recent 11 day road trip we had to do that err' day and it really sucked. Only 1 of our 10 hotels had a freezer in the little fridge in the room. That was the only day we didn't have to go to the pestilence-ridden ice machine down the hall as we just froze our ice packs over night.
If you put frozen ice packs in a 12v cooler, it would probably keep it cold for a good long while without adding to it. That might be a decent way to go.

To change ice in our cooler, I'd just run into a gas station and grab a bag when filling up. Those hotel ice machines were :disgust: pretty much everywhere. Problem was, I'd forget and food can spoil quickly if you let it go.
Even if you ignore the hygiene issues with hotel ice makers (there are too many to think about and remember, this ice is supposed to be for drinking)........ice machine ice is always melting. That shit will never start out with the thermal properties of ice in a freezer.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Detroit wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 12:36 pm
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 12:31 pm

I agree that for most applications "ordinary" coolers are muy bueno. I did just spring for a $400 YETI 45 with wheels

1. To join the YETI Bukkake party and see what the fuss was about but mostly
2. Because the retracting handle on my Igloo was a POS from day 1 and by now retracts only 35% of the time unless you say 15 Hail Marys.
The handle setup and wheels on the YETI are bulletproof as they should be.
3. To be cool AF.
I didn't know they made 45's with wheels. Kind of a little cooler for wheels, no?

I hate wheeled coolers because I'm too tall for them. I have to bend down as I walk to pull them, so I just end up carrying anyway :massles:
https://www.yeti.com/en_US/coolers/hard ... html#pos=4

This is what I bought. I'm using the number 45 loosely I think. The handle looks like it would work for linebackers.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
ChrisoftheNorth

Desertbreh wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 12:43 pm
Detroit wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 12:36 pm

This is what I bought. I'm using the number 45 loosely I think. The handle looks like it would work for linebackers.
Interesting, same as my 45 without wheels mostly. The handle looks robust, but it doesn't appear that long and the cooler is short. So at 6'5, with the handle extended and me pulling it, it's nearly vertical on its end, which doesn't work very well for various reasons.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Detroit wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 12:48 pm
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 12:43 pm

Interesting, same as my 45 without wheels mostly. The handle looks robust, but it doesn't appear that long and the cooler is short. So at 6'5, with the handle extended and me pulling it, it's nearly vertical on its end, which doesn't work very well for various reasons.
You need longer arms.
Irish
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Drives: '12 GIT (190K!)- 2011 Outie A5

I put hotel ice machine ice in gallon zip locks, pestilence be dammed. I hate paying for it.

But generally I freeze water in the baggies laid flat in the freezer. Minimum of effort and versatile in that shape for packing big coolers.

Then I re use them all week in our soft sides to go down to the beach

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

ChrisoftheNorth

Desertbreh wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 12:53 pm
Detroit wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 12:48 pm
You need longer arms.
I'll get right on that.
ChrisoftheNorth

Irish wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 12:54 pm I put hotel ice machine ice in gallon zip locks, pestilence be dammed. I hate paying for it.

But generally I freeze water in the baggies laid flat in the freezer. Minimum of effort and versatile in that shape for packing big coolers.

Yeti sent us "Yeti ice" cold packs when we bought our 45. Those things stay cold forever and fit nicely on the bottom of the cooler. Add some ice from the ice maker in the freezer and it's days of cold drinks. We took the boat out last Sunday and packed the hopper with yeti ice, cold drinks, and some ice on top. Went out for a few hours, came back and I left the cooler in the car. Found it on Tuesday and opened it up to find the ice melted but left ICE COLD water in the bottom on top of partially frozen "Yeti ice" packs. 3 days after we initially packed it and used it. :notbad:
Apex
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Abominable

Carry a cooler? Amateurs.

4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Ford Party ST

Melon wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 10:43 am Looking for a decent hard cooler, nothing too big. I want to bring some food on trips, but mostly use for ice drink at Autocross events.

https://www.academy.com/shop/pdp/igloo- ... blue-25-qt

This isn't ridiculously priced, but it's probably a tad too small.

Any input?
Coleman Xtreme series coolers are really good and reasonably priced. I picked up a 70 quart from HD a few months ago. 6 days total with 4 days outside and still holds ice cold temps.
As the only published author in a well-known motorcycle publication in the room...
ChrisoftheNorth

Apex wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 1:10 pm Carry a cooler? Amateurs.

This is outstanding.
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

wap wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 12:26 pm
:dat: is what I'm trying to avoid. On our recent 11 day road trip we had to do that err' day and it really sucked. Only 1 of our 10 hotels had a freezer in the little fridge in the room. That was the only day we didn't have to go to the pestilence-ridden ice machine down the hall as we just froze our ice packs over night.
If you put frozen ice packs in a 12v cooler, it would probably keep it cold for a good long while without adding to it. That might be a decent way to go.

To change ice in our cooler, I'd just run into a gas station and grab a bag when filling up. Those hotel ice machines were :disgust: pretty much everywhere. Problem was, I'd forget and food can spoil quickly if you let it go.
Oh good point.

We use a smaller soft cooler that is way too small for a bag of ice. Just a couple bottles of water and a few snacks that need cooling. The above my be our solution.
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
wap

Desertbreh wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 12:37 pm

Even if you ignore the hygiene issues with hotel ice makers (there are too many to think about and remember, this ice is supposed to be for drinking)........ice machine ice is always melting. That shit will never start out with the thermal properties of ice in a freezer.
:nope: :disgust: :hellno: :gag:
max225
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

wap

Irish wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 12:54 pm I put hotel ice machine ice in gallon zip locks, pestilence be dammed. I hate paying for it.

WE put hotel ice in a tupperware container that is the perfect size to fit on the bottom of our cooler, and the lid has a zippered pocket that we put the ice pack in. It works quite well for a day. Then we have to replenish the ice in the morning. And if the hotel doesn't have a freezer the ice pack only gets cooled in the fridge.

Freezing water in baggies sounds like it would work well, too, until it's time to refreeze it.
wap

Apex wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 1:10 pm Carry a cooler? Amateurs.

:lolol: :fuckyeah:
Irish
Drives: '12 GIT (190K!)- 2011 Outie A5

wap wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 1:46 pm

WE put hotel ice in a tupperware container that is the perfect size to fit on the bottom of our cooler, and the lid has a zippered pocket that we put the ice pack in. It works quite well for a day. Then we have to replenish the ice in the morning. And if the hotel doesn't have a freezer the ice pack only gets cooled in the fridge.

Freezing water in baggies sounds like it would work well, too, until it's time to refreeze it.
It refreezes well for coolers if you have a house hold sized freezer. Have to use freezer grade bags though.... cheap at Aldi
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

max225 wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 1:45 pm
The major advantage of "regular" coolers is that they are not a target for thieves, IMHO, as well as doing 80% of the work of dickswinger coolers.
I bought the YETI primarily for US to MX duty, I will report on its prowess.
Melon
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Blue things, Orange thing

max225 wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 1:45 pm
Solid test.

I found this one at Academy, nice to see it perform well in the test.

https://www.academy.com/shop/pdp/igloo- ... blue-25-qt
4zilch wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:46 am I'm a fucking failure.
razr390
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: MK7.5 on 87

We installed some new cameras at work and we’ve had turkey vultures being really curious with them. They are properly cool animals but they are pecking the fuck out of the cameras.

:doughnut: :narc: :doughnut:
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:05 pm DFD. The forum where everybody makes the same choices and then tells anybody trying to join the club that they are the stupidest motherfucker to ever walk the earth.
Apex

razr390 wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 4:13 pm We installed some new cameras at work and we’ve had turkey vultures being really curious with them. They are properly cool animals but they are pecking the fuck out of the cameras.

:neat:
troyguitar
Drives: Trek Domane

razr390 wrote:We installed some new cameras at work and we’ve had turkey vultures being really curious with them. They are properly cool animals but they are pecking the fuck out of the cameras.

Put some frikkin lasers on their heads.
wap

razr390 wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 4:13 pm We installed some new cameras at work and we’ve had turkey vultures being really curious with them. They are properly cool animals but they are pecking the fuck out of the cameras.

:lolol:
That's awesome.
Apex

Locked in at 2.75% for 30yrs. :alpo: I swear to god if we don’t close on this I’m gonna flip a shit on someone.
razr390
Drives: MK7.5 on 87

wap wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 4:23 pm

:lolol:
That's awesome.
They’re super smart… yet super dumb. One saw its own reflection in the glass window of our building and started fighting the reflection. :derp:
:doughnut: :narc: :doughnut:
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:05 pm DFD. The forum where everybody makes the same choices and then tells anybody trying to join the club that they are the stupidest motherfucker to ever walk the earth.