Shopping in the worst car market ever...Summer 21 Plac Thread

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

Desertbreh wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 2:09 pm
Detroit wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 1:50 pm
My current company has been eating my sanity slowly since I started 2 years ago. The recent merger has me doing things where mgmt is setting me up to be a scapegoat for bad decisions that I don't want to be on the receiving end of anymore. I'm in 2nd (of 3) round interviews with another company (my previous) where a friend plugged me in. Wife wants me to quit right now and take a break since we have the money and the house is cheap, but we won't have a car if I do. It's pretty much the major sticking point other than health insurance. But my mental health is as fragile as it's been in a long time, so fuck it. We can get by without insurance for a few months, we can't get by without transportation.
Does this mean I can get employee pricing on a C8Z?
If things go well, yes...if they even offer employee on them (they usually don't on Z cars)
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
ChrisoftheNorth

SAWCE wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 2:12 pm I may be buying soon myself.. I'd been wanting to off the Jeep, but the Carvana, Truecar, Shift, etc offers kept coming in :flaccid: Buddy of mine out here keeps sending me listings of used Jeeps he wants to buy.. Early JK models priced at $30k for dealerships. Told him I'd sell him mine for that much if he's serious about buying one. That was the price I had in mind for offing it to one of those companies. Plan would be to buy something like a lightly used Civic, or maybe GTI again for "cheap", pay off the little bit I owe on the Jeep, and then stash the rest into savings. Eliminate my monthly payment, lower my fuel costs, and cheaper insurance (hopefully).
Doing almost exactly the same thing. Cash in on the :fullretard: values for Jeeps and off-roaders, buy something less desirable in the market to replace. The problem is, you're still going to be overpaying for the replacement, just like I will on whatever we end up with. At least the premium on the Jeep offsets it to a wash.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
Desertbreh
Command Chief Master Sirloin

Detroit wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 2:18 pm
Desertbreh wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 2:09 pm

Does this mean I can get employee pricing on a C8Z?
If things go well, yes...if they even offer employee on them (they usually don't on Z cars)
I'm just being an asshole. Nice self awareness and I hope things go well.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
troyguitar
Drives: Trek Domane

Detroit wrote:
troyguitar wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 1:56 pm :sass:

Prius comes in AWD and can haul tons of crap/people.
If I didn't find them so damned hideous, I'd consider them. I just can't spend this kind of money on something I can't stand the sight of.
Ioniq is the same car but :iono: about AWD. Might have to get the kona for that.
troyguitar

Desertbreh wrote:
troyguitar wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 1:56 pm :sass:

Prius comes in AWD and can haul tons of crap/people.
Your life stance has evolved considerably since the purple Corvette.
That car is in the dictionary under lighting money on fire.

Buying a late model German car is in there too.

The Koreans are the name of the game in value right now, buying a new one of those w/ 100k warranty is likely the answer vs the :fullretard: used market.
troyguitar

Or skip AWD and get your old Volt back that was already the perfect car... :plac:
ChrisoftheNorth

troyguitar wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 2:28 pm Or skip AWD and get your old Volt back that was already the perfect car... :plac:
Volt was still too small for taking 4 people, which we did somewhat regularly. That's why I find something like the Golf Wagon or Clubman appealing...still small size, just more space in the rear, which I think would be immensely useful for what we need. I really don't want an SUV/Crossover. Mostly because that's what everyone is looking for and jacking the price up on. A Clubman is $2-5k cheaper than a similarly equipped Countryman, for example.

AWD isn't a deal breaker. If the perfect car popped up that was FWD, I'd go for it. I've got plenty of space to store snow tires.
ChrisoftheNorth

troyguitar wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 2:22 pm
Detroit wrote: If I didn't find them so damned hideous, I'd consider them. I just can't spend this kind of money on something I can't stand the sight of.
Ioniq is the same car but :iono: about AWD. Might have to get the kona for that.
Man, if the Ioniq 5 EV was out, I'd have a serious look at that.
max225
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

So what are the life events that are currently happening ?

You’re going back to gm + she is going to get a job finally ?
ChrisoftheNorth

https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sal ... pe=listing

This thing is cool as hell. Like a grown-up Zil MINI.
ChrisoftheNorth

max225 wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 2:39 pm So what are the life events that are currently happening ?

You’re going back to gm + she is going to get a job finally ?
In a nutshell.
razr390
Drives: MK7.5 on 87

GTI
:doughnut: :narc: :doughnut:
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:05 pm DFD. The forum where everybody makes the same choices and then tells anybody trying to join the club that they are the stupidest motherfucker to ever walk the earth.
ChrisoftheNorth

razr390 wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 2:45 pmGTI
:lolol:

Wife and I discussed it. I just don't want a 3rd GTI in my life. Also, hoping for a bit more space.
Johnny_P
Drives: Blue short bus

I wouldn’t let the truck be the reason I stayed at a job. You can get literally any car as a temporary throwaway thing and then square up the sitch once you get some new income.
Irish
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Drives: '12 GIT (190K!)- 2011 Outie A5

I have no idea about issues with these but this seems pretty :unicorn: to me with the :manuel: and the bloo. Interior is a on the rough side but I would think this checks alot of boxes for you

https://carsandbids.com/auctions/9XbPZL ... volvo-v70r

Equipment includes 17-inch "Pegasus" alloy wheels, ventilated Brembo brakes with 4-piston front calipers, an electronically-controlled active chassis, a rear spoiler, leather upholstery, brushed aluminum inlays, blue instrument gauges with watch-dial bezels, and more as detailed below.

A partial list of modifications reported by the seller include IPD sway bars, strut arms, and bushings, polyurethane sub-frame bushings, a strut brace conversion kit, adjustable toe links, and an aftermarket exhaust.

Volvo again proved its wagons could haul more than cargo when it released the second-generation V70R for the 2004 model year. Celebrated as one of the marque's fastest production cars, the "P2" V70R offered enthusiasts a sport-tuned suspension, advanced chassis technology, and a powertrain that put its German rivals on notice.

Power comes from an all-aluminum, turbocharged and intercooled 2.5-liter twin-cam inline-5, rated at 300 horsepower and 295 lb-ft of torque. Output is routed to all four wheels through a 6-speed manual transmission and a torque-vectoring Haldex center differential.

according to the seller

Hi Dan, the most common issues with higher mileage V70Rs are the rear angle gear and clutch assembly failing. Both of these issues were addressed 3/6/20 at TVG in Portland, OR. The Volvo has a new clutch assembly and the rear angle gear was replaced and resealed. The service record for this is in the attached photos.
Johnny_P

You have to ask yourself if you’re ok lighting some cash on fire to get out of the job and be happy. If you burn $5k on depreciation / tax or whatever on a car for one year is it that big of a deal, really?

I took a 23% pay cut to get this job I have now and I’m so much happier it’s not funny.
Johnny_P

Get a newer Silverado that can tow the boat and just keep it forever.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

SAWCE wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 2:12 pm I may be buying soon myself.. I'd been wanting to off the Jeep, but the Carvana, Truecar, Shift, etc offers kept coming in :flaccid: Buddy of mine out here keeps sending me listings of used Jeeps he wants to buy.. Early JK models priced at $30k for dealerships. Told him I'd sell him mine for that much if he's serious about buying one. That was the price I had in mind for offing it to one of those companies. Plan would be to buy something like a lightly used Civic, or maybe GTI again for "cheap", pay off the little bit I owe on the Jeep, and then stash the rest into savings. Eliminate my monthly payment, lower my fuel costs, and cheaper insurance (hopefully).
Downside is that nothing is really very "cheap". A decent GTI/Si is $20K minimum. MINIs are the only cheap cars.
ChrisoftheNorth

Johnny_P wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 2:47 pm I wouldn’t let the truck be the reason I stayed at a job. You can get literally any car as a temporary throwaway thing and then square up the sitch once you get some new income.
Yep, this is the thinking.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

Detroit wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 1:33 pm https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sal ... pe=listing

This is also tempting. Private seller (which is rare these days), no sunroof to break, but still has heated seats. Long warranty left. Love the color too.
That is pretty :nice: , I think it is a far "better" car than a MINI but MINIs are more fun I'm sure. I would legit avoid any of these with a sunroof (not sure if you're joking or not). I know two owners who have both had 1-2 sunroof failures on these.

FWIW a close friend of mine owns an AllTrac and they are trying to off it because of all the issues they've had, and it's only threeish years old. So maybe find one with the 6/72 warranty if you go that route :lolol:

I like Johnny's thinking though, just go into it :aintcare: and get out of the job. My job keeps getting worse and worse politically and I kinda feel you. I have a new manager starting 7/1 who is an absolute huge cunt (she's been my coworker for three years and now will be my boss) and if it is what I think it will be, I am seriously going to bail as well.
ChrisoftheNorth

Johnny_P wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 2:53 pm Get a newer Silverado that can tow the boat and just keep it forever.
Everyone wants trucks right now. Used (any year) are selling for more than new. I'll buy or lease a new truck if/when I'm able and need it. Truck deals will be fantastic at the end of the year.
ChrisoftheNorth

Irish wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 2:50 pm I have no idea about issues with these but this seems pretty :unicorn: to me with the :manuel: and the bloo. Interior is a on the rough side but I would think this checks alot of boxes for you

Equipment includes 17-inch "Pegasus" alloy wheels, ventilated Brembo brakes with 4-piston front calipers, an electronically-controlled active chassis, a rear spoiler, leather upholstery, brushed aluminum inlays, blue instrument gauges with watch-dial bezels, and more as detailed below.

A partial list of modifications reported by the seller include IPD sway bars, strut arms, and bushings, polyurethane sub-frame bushings, a strut brace conversion kit, adjustable toe links, and an aftermarket exhaust.

Volvo again proved its wagons could haul more than cargo when it released the second-generation V70R for the 2004 model year. Celebrated as one of the marque's fastest production cars, the "P2" V70R offered enthusiasts a sport-tuned suspension, advanced chassis technology, and a powertrain that put its German rivals on notice.

Power comes from an all-aluminum, turbocharged and intercooled 2.5-liter twin-cam inline-5, rated at 300 horsepower and 295 lb-ft of torque. Output is routed to all four wheels through a 6-speed manual transmission and a torque-vectoring Haldex center differential.

according to the seller

Hi Dan, the most common issues with higher mileage V70Rs are the rear angle gear and clutch assembly failing. Both of these issues were addressed 3/6/20 at TVG in Portland, OR. The Volvo has a new clutch assembly and the rear angle gear was replaced and resealed. The service record for this is in the attached photos.
Good suggestion, I've thought about these a lot but I remember when these were $5k cars. This thing will go for 3x that, and I just don't think it's worth it to me personally. I'm OK spending that kind of coin, but I can get something newer and nicer for that.
troyguitar

Just get something really cheap. You're going to sell it and buy something else again before winter anyway.

Elantra/forte/fusion/malibu/whatever
Johnny_P

D Griff wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 2:59 pm
Detroit wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 1:33 pm https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sal ... pe=listing

This is also tempting. Private seller (which is rare these days), no sunroof to break, but still has heated seats. Long warranty left. Love the color too.
That is pretty :nice: , I think it is a far "better" car than a MINI but MINIs are more fun I'm sure. I would legit avoid any of these with a sunroof (not sure if you're joking or not). I know two owners who have both had 1-2 sunroof failures on these.

FWIW a close friend of mine owns an AllTrac and they are trying to off it because of all the issues they've had, and it's only threeish years old. So maybe find one with the 6/72 warranty if you go that route :lolol:

I like Johnny's thinking though, just go into it :aintcare: and get out of the job. My job keeps getting worse and worse politically and I kinda feel you. I have a new manager starting 7/1 who is an absolute huge cunt (she's been my coworker for three years and now will be my boss) and if it is what I think it will be, I am seriously going to bail as well.
Honda Civic
Subaru Outback (crosstrek is too tiny IMO)
Rav4 hybrid

Pick one, get it, off it in a year or less. Take the hit on cash but these will retain value and need literally nothing. Done.
max225
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

Detroit wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 3:02 pm
Irish wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 2:50 pm I have no idea about issues with these but this seems pretty :unicorn: to me with the :manuel: and the bloo. Interior is a on the rough side but I would think this checks alot of boxes for you

according to the seller

Good suggestion, I've thought about these a lot but I remember when these were $5k cars. This thing will go for 3x that, and I just don't think it's worth it to me personally. I'm OK spending that kind of coin, but I can get something newer and nicer for that.
I can look for some gmt400 suvs/trucks for you here. They haven’t appreciated much at all