Dat detailing thread, doe.

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

WakeBro:

You polish out some yellowing headlights. :disgust: Do you have a favorite sealer to keep the yellow at bay?
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

max225 wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 4:55 pm
Desertbreh wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 3:08 pm This whole washing every few weeks is fking impossible for my OCD in the desert spring. Massive wind, dust layer, then a few rain drops on the dust to completely fuck everything up. It drives me insane.
Does it rain more down there than here ? We’re probably rain free for the next 7 months at this point
It doesn't rain. It spits, leaving filth everywhere.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

max225 wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 1:30 pm Image

So this came in. Overall 3.5/7 first impression. Main issue is that the towels are a lot thinner than I thought, especially the “big one” for drying. That’s probably my main disappointment. It seems like it would only dry 1/2 a car.

Mit is Great and probably my fav piece.
The microfiber towels seem good also. But I can’t say :mindblown: this is way better than the other stuff.
I have that waffle towel. Not my favorite. I use if for final touch up.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: C5

Desertbreh wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 8:57 pm WakeBro:

You polish out some yellowing headlights. :disgust: Do you have a favorite sealer to keep the yellow at bay?
Mine are coated with Gtechniq C4. Still beading and no yellowing after about 7 months and a winter.

Are you looking into doing the Brahoe lights? It's possible that the lenses have started to oxidize from the inside as well. My headlights have. From head on you can't tell, but if you look at the car from the side they look slightly hazy. So after you sand and coat if you still aren't happy that might be the case, and it might be better just to get new DEPO headlights.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

RLWake
Meat Patty 2nd Class
Meat Patty 2nd Class
Drives: CHEESE

Hmmmm, depends on how bad they were. If they’re HORRIBLE and needed wetsanding, that clear coat and any uv inhibitors are goooone. In that case, it’s worth considering a clear coat if you have the balls and skill to do that right. Otherwise, it’s all about UV protection. Optimum makes Lens Coat but fuck me it’s expensive. It works... but you’re gonna pay for it. That’s probably your best bet there

If you just did a light compound and polish, a good sealant that sticks to anything and has UV inhibitors is a good bet. Opti-Seal, C2v3, etc.

Headlights fucking suck to keep mint long term :pout:
2010 Audi TT APR Stg1 (sold) >> 2012 BMW 335i FBO (sold) >> 2009 Miata zoom-zoom spec "Cheese" (sold) >> 2022 Hyundai Elantra N + 1999 Miata Maacover Project
RLWake
Meat Patty 2nd Class
Meat Patty 2nd Class

CaleDeRoo wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 9:39 pm

Mine are coated with Gtechniq C4. Still beading and no yellowing after about 7 months and a winter.

Are you looking into doing the Brahoe lights? It's possible that the lenses have started to oxidize from the inside as well. My headlights have. From head on you can't tell, but if you look at the car from the side they look slightly hazy. So after you sand and coat if you still aren't happy that might be the case, and it might be better just to get new DEPO headlights.
Damn I forgot, Gtechniq C1 and C4 will actually both worth great on those since they stick to plastic. Thanks for bringing that up!!! :mahman:

They’re not purpose-made for headlights but they work good. Whenever I do a polish and coat job with C1 I always put some on the headlights. Works pretty good!
2010 Audi TT APR Stg1 (sold) >> 2012 BMW 335i FBO (sold) >> 2009 Miata zoom-zoom spec "Cheese" (sold) >> 2022 Hyundai Elantra N + 1999 Miata Maacover Project
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

CaleDeRoo wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 9:39 pm

Strong Pro Tips. TY
Gberg2119
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: W///

Operation Mega Detail has been completed. Results are unknown since it took so long and it was dark out by the time I finished.

Clayed, M105, M205, C2V3. Was thinking of putting another coat on tomorrow morning. One issue with C2V3, or I guess any spray sealant, is it's difficult to really know where you're applying it. I used the 2 towel method for it to prevent over spray.

Some minor scratches wouldn't come out even with the blue SDO polishing pad but it definitely took away a lot of the swirls. At least in the garage it looks like it did. I hope it looks good outside tomorrow.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

RLWake
Meat Patty 2nd Class
Meat Patty 2nd Class

Gberg2119 wrote: Sun Apr 04, 2021 9:55 pm Operation Mega Detail has been completed. Results are unknown since it took so long and it was dark out by the time I finished.

Clayed, M105, M205, C2V3. Was thinking of putting another coat on tomorrow morning. One issue with C2V3, or I guess any spray sealant, is it's difficult to really know where you're applying it. I used the 2 towel method for it to prevent over spray.

Some minor scratches wouldn't come out even with the blue SDO polishing pad but it definitely took away a lot of the swirls. At least in the garage it looks like it did. I hope it looks good outside tomorrow.

Doesn’t really matter where you put C2v3 :mahman: it works on paint, metal, powder coat, glass, all that. It wont hurt your plastics or anything.

Looks beautiful! Great job!
Gberg2119
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

RLWake wrote:
Gberg2119 wrote: Sun Apr 04, 2021 9:55 pm Operation Mega Detail has been completed. Results are unknown since it took so long and it was dark out by the time I finished.

Doesn’t really matter where you put C2v3 :mahman: it works on paint, metal, powder coat, glass, all that. It wont hurt your plastics or anything.

Looks beautiful! Great job!
I mean it's tough to actually SEE the product when you're applying it. I had both the garage and overhead light on but still needed a flashlight and even with that it was tough. It's definitely on because the slickness is there but I don't know if I used too much or too little.

Anyway, I applied a second coat this morning. Can't wait to take it out this afternoon and see if I actually accomplished anything.

Another thing to note is that I did end up buying a panel wipe and I'm glad I did. M105 dusts like crazy. M205 not so much but I did give it a wipe down prior to C2V3.

Gberg2119
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Okay. It looks crazy. Hopefully I don't have to do this again for looooong time.

Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

I want mine to look like that again! I think I may follow your footsteps when I get a free day and nice weather. You really can't see any imperfections, nice work!!
Apex
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Abominable

:nice:
max225
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

Gberg2119 wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 2:55 pm Okay. It looks crazy. Hopefully I don't have to do this again for looooong time.

Looking 👍🏻
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

That looks :muah:
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
Irish
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Drives: '12 GIT (190K!)- 2011 Outie A5

:jizz:
Gberg2119
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Tarspin wrote:I want mine to look like that again! I think I may follow your footsteps when I get a free day and nice weather. You really can't see any imperfections, nice work!!
:doit: I'm stunned at how well it turned out.

Hindsight I probably could've done a coating. That's how well the pads and compound/polish worked. There's just 2 spots where they couldn't get out some of the deeper scratches.

RLWake
Meat Patty 2nd Class
Meat Patty 2nd Class

Gberg2119 wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 11:03 pm
Tarspin wrote:I want mine to look like that again! I think I may follow your footsteps when I get a free day and nice weather. You really can't see any imperfections, nice work!!
:doit: I'm stunned at how well it turned out.

Hindsight I probably could've done a coating. That's how well the pads and compound/polish worked. There's just 2 spots where they couldn't get out some of the deeper scratches.

Not too late.

Do a quick 1 step light polish again then a wipedown of Gtechniq Panel Wipe and you’ll be ready for C1, CSL, or EXO.
Gberg2119
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

RLWake wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 11:47 pm
Gberg2119 wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 11:03 pm :doit: I'm stunned at how well it turned out.

Not too late.

Do a quick 1 step light polish again then a wipedown of Gtechniq Panel Wipe and you’ll be ready for C1, CSL, or EXO.
I'll probably roll with the sealant for a bit. Do you have to throw out coating towels after use?

I also tried P&S brake buster and it was kind of mediocre. I used like half the damn bottle and the tires still looked dirty despite multiple applications. Applied it until the foam didn't turn brown anymore after scrubbing.
RLWake
Meat Patty 2nd Class
Meat Patty 2nd Class

Gberg2119 wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 7:08 pm
RLWake wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 11:47 pm

Not too late.

I'll probably roll with the sealant for a bit. Do you have to throw out coating towels after use?

I also tried P&S brake buster and it was kind of mediocre. I used like half the damn bottle and the tires still looked dirty despite multiple applications. Applied it until the foam didn't turn brown anymore after scrubbing.
If you’re doing the 2 towel wipe-off for a coating (1 for initial wipe-off, 1 for touching up and going over it again), you’ll need to throw away that first towel since it’s gonna be loaded up with coating. You’ll feel it get stiff and it DEFINITELY won’t absorb water anymore.

BB is not really the best for tires, but straight out the bottle it’s normally good enough for me. You still always need a dressing to even the look out after a scrubbin’

Also :jesus: how did you use HALF A BOTTLE??? I dilute that stuff 10:1 with water in an IK Foamer for the actual wheels and it cleans awesome.
Gberg2119
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

RLWake wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 9:39 pm
Gberg2119 wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 7:08 pm

If you’re doing the 2 towel wipe-off for a coating (1 for initial wipe-off, 1 for touching up and going over it again), you’ll need to throw away that first towel since it’s gonna be loaded up with coating. You’ll feel it get stiff and it DEFINITELY won’t absorb water anymore.

BB is not really the best for tires, but straight out the bottle it’s normally good enough for me. You still always need a dressing to even the look out after a scrubbin’

Also :jesus: how did you use HALF A BOTTLE??? I dilute that stuff 10:1 with water in an IK Foamer for the actual wheels and it cleans awesome.
:iono: I'd spray, scrub, rinse, then spray again because the tire still looked dirty after it dried. On the 2nd or 3rd application the foam stopped browning. I did only get the small bottle too.

My tire shine application is always suspect too. It looks like I applied even coverage with VRP but after it dried I see spots where it didn't really soak in.

The stuff is so cheap, do you really need to dilute it? I was planning on getting an IK foamer for hoseless washes in the winter but didn't think it'd be necessary for wheels during regular hose washes.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

@GBerg, the car looks so good dude! I still really love that color.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

D Griff wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 8:56 am @GBerg, the car looks so good dude! I still really love that color.
Yep, makes me want to get to work on my own shit.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: C5

Desertbreh wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 1:31 pm
D Griff wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 8:56 am @GBerg, the car looks so good dude! I still really love that color.
Yep, makes me want to get to work on my own shit.
Get that GS spit shined up for Griff