Car Talk 5: The Juice is Loose!

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

I think that van is pretty damn cool. I would be much happier paying $65K for that than $180K for the Sprinter which is less usable...
THE IDEA
I built this van with the intention of spending months at a time exploring the Baja Peninsula, my needs were simple:
-Cozy enough for my dog (she demands a queen size mattress)
-Secure storage for my surfboard and bike collecting problem (I’ve fit 8 boards and 4 bikes in the “garage”)
-RELIABLE and cheap/simple to maintainwith easily available parts/mechanics south of the border or anywhere for that matter, hence the 5.4 v8 mated to the 5R110 tranny (arguably the stoutest factory transmission ever made by Ford, they regularly go 400k miles behind the V10 and 6.0 diesels, and only came behind the V8 in some cutaway chassis E-350s)
-sprinters are for yuppies
-Not too big or heavy: its almost 2 feet shorter than a SWB sprinter, stayed well under 10k lbs and under 9 ft tall
-Be comfortable on endless Baja washboard roads: reason I ultimately stayed 2wd and went with the whoop scissor kit from weldtec instead of solid axle 4x4 , you’d be surprised at where 5k lbs over a limited slip 4.56 axle with good tires at <20 psi will get you, and at how plush the KING/Weldtec kit feels
:dat: makes sense if you ask me.
max225
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

D Griff wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 3:36 pm I think that van is pretty damn cool. I would be much happier paying $65K for that than $180K for the Sprinter which is less usable...
THE IDEA
I built this van with the intention of spending months at a time exploring the Baja Peninsula, my needs were simple:
-Cozy enough for my dog (she demands a queen size mattress)
-Secure storage for my surfboard and bike collecting problem (I’ve fit 8 boards and 4 bikes in the “garage”)
-RELIABLE and cheap/simple to maintainwith easily available parts/mechanics south of the border or anywhere for that matter, hence the 5.4 v8 mated to the 5R110 tranny (arguably the stoutest factory transmission ever made by Ford, they regularly go 400k miles behind the V10 and 6.0 diesels, and only came behind the V8 in some cutaway chassis E-350s)
-sprinters are for yuppies
-Not too big or heavy: its almost 2 feet shorter than a SWB sprinter, stayed well under 10k lbs and under 9 ft tall
-Be comfortable on endless Baja washboard roads: reason I ultimately stayed 2wd and went with the whoop scissor kit from weldtec instead of solid axle 4x4 , you’d be surprised at where 5k lbs over a limited slip 4.56 axle with good tires at <20 psi will get you, and at how plush the KING/Weldtec kit feels
I am curious what person can do this sort of a lifestyle.... Pro surfer ? Pre bum? iNflUenCeR?
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

max225 wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 3:39 pm
D Griff wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 3:36 pm I think that van is pretty damn cool. I would be much happier paying $65K for that than $180K for the Sprinter which is less usable...

I am curious what person can do this sort of a lifestyle.... Pro surfer ? Pre bum? iNflUenCeR?
Pre bum or someone on a sabbatical maybe? iNfLuEnCeR is what most think I bet, but that's not reality.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
Desertbreh
Command Chief Master Sirloin

[user not found] wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 1:46 pm
SAWCE wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 1:21 pm

Ah maybe she hadn’t braked and just let off the glass while the dude was turning and that’s why it went :fullretard:
Thanks for the info! I’ll look up how to max those distances out for her.
Yeah, in my scenario, I let off the gas and started to swerve around the turning car - and it started to activate the smart braking system.

People also take waaaaaaaay too much time to get the fuck off the road when turning, though. :disgust:
Preach brother. We ain't got all damn day.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

Huckleberry wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 12:19 pm
max225 wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 12:02 pm

Wow interesting... I haven't had mine go off in the taco once in the 4000 miles, even as a warning. Wondering if some manufacturers are fucking it up more than others.
The collision warning in my GTI can be twitchy and go off at random times, like if a tree is too close to the road on a curve or there is a dip in the road at an intersection or something. It hasn't randomly locked up the brakes, though.
Does it work the brakes at all? I don't think mine does, it just gives that annoying beep and the weird red warning light, both usually after I've already seen the "danger". :rolleyes:
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
ChrisoftheNorth

wap wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 4:34 pm

The collision warning in my GTI can be twitchy and go off at random times, like if a tree is too close to the road on a curve or there is a dip in the road at an intersection or something. It hasn't randomly locked up the brakes, though.
Does it work the brakes at all? I don't think mine does, it just gives that annoying beep and the weird red warning light, both usually after I've already seen the "danger". :rolleyes:
Some systems are just alert systems and don't actually integrate into the brakes.

Which...just what I wanted MORE distraction when driving.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

Detroit wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 4:42 pm

Some systems are just alert systems and don't actually integrate into the brakes.

Agreed.

BUT.

I AM glad mine doesn't auto-brake precisely because of the scenario :sawce: mentioned where his :tits: mobile did that unexpectedly - and unnecessarily - and they almost got :woodplow: in the :knot: by a :truk: :nope:
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Yeah, that I don't know :lolol:

I mean... teachers could do this for 1/3 of the year. Some nurses can get months off at a time. I suppose if I had a badass hot spot I could work remotely from it, but I think that would get old pretty fast.
ChrisoftheNorth

wap wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 4:48 pm
Detroit wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 4:42 pm

Agreed.

BUT.

I AM glad mine doesn't auto-brake precisely because of the scenario :sawce: mentioned where his :tits: mobile did that unexpectedly - and unnecessarily - and they almost got :woodplow: in the :knot: by a :truk: :nope:
Yea, these systems are increasingly std these day, agreed that one that doesn't engage the brakes is ideal if there's no other choice.
ChrisoftheNorth

[user not found] wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 4:58 pm

Anyone who can WFH, really. Hotspot and go, baby.
I wish it was that easy. A surprising amount of the country still doesn't have cell service strong enough to work from. I tried and couldn't even do it in Michigan.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Detroit wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 5:16 pm

I wish it was that easy. A surprising amount of the country still doesn't have cell service strong enough to work from. I tried and couldn't even do it in Michigan.
:dat:

And depending on your job and how much you have to do, it would be tough in that setup. I legit need a desk, multiple monitors, a headset, etc.
max225

Sorta ... connection needs to be quite strong, and if you have background noises and a dog that’s jumping around during the 4-10hrs of meetings
Daily I doubt it’s all that achievable.
max225

D Griff wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 5:21 pm
Detroit wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 5:16 pm

And depending on your job and how much you have to do, it would be tough in that setup. I legit need a desk, multiple monitors, a headset, etc.
Nah, wFH means you just chill in a van and are living your best life.
Huckleberry
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Drives: 2004 GTO

No, it hasn't applied the brakes yet. If it started doing that, I'd be dropping it off at the dealer.

Reading the manual, it says that trees on twisty roads can cause it to chime, but applying the brakes is a last result. The manual also cautions you not to test the system.
razr390
Drives: MK7.5 on 87

SAWCE wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 11:58 am Late to the party, but fuck some of this safety tech. Michelle and I were cruising the other weekend in her Cx5 and the car in front of us was making a right hand turn. They slowed down more than they needed to, but we were still a safe distance away and going pretty slow too, but then her forward collision sensor activated and locked up all her breaks bringing us to a complete stop and we were inches from being rear ended by the massive truck behind us who reasonably wasn’t expecting us to stop like that. She said it’s done similar stuff to her before. I need to spend some time figuring out how to turn as much of that shot off for her as I can.
Check the settings. Not speaking for every MFG. My GTI has settings that allow it to be “average” “late” or “quick” to react (front collision avoidance that is)
:doughnut: :narc: :doughnut:
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:05 pm DFD. The forum where everybody makes the same choices and then tells anybody trying to join the club that they are the stupidest motherfucker to ever walk the earth.
max225

razr390 wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 7:31 pm
SAWCE wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 11:58 am Late to the party, but fuck some of this safety tech. Michelle and I were cruising the other weekend in her Cx5 and the car in front of us was making a right hand turn. They slowed down more than they needed to, but we were still a safe distance away and going pretty slow too, but then her forward collision sensor activated and locked up all her breaks bringing us to a complete stop and we were inches from being rear ended by the massive truck behind us who reasonably wasn’t expecting us to stop like that. She said it’s done similar stuff to her before. I need to spend some time figuring out how to turn as much of that shot off for her as I can.
Check the settings. Not speaking for every MFG. My GTI has settings that allow it to be “average” “late” or “quick” to react (front collision avoidance that is)
Has yours ever gone off randomly?
razr390
Drives: MK7.5 on 87

My GTI applied the brakes. Admittedly I wasn’t paying attention the one time it did, got distracted by something. It is scary. But it’s awesome as a safety feature. 5/7 would return it if it does it randomly.

It does BEEP randomly but never had random brake locks
:doughnut: :narc: :doughnut:
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:05 pm DFD. The forum where everybody makes the same choices and then tells anybody trying to join the club that they are the stupidest motherfucker to ever walk the earth.
max225

razr390 wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 7:35 pm My GTI applied the brakes. Admittedly I wasn’t paying attention the one time it did, got distracted by something. It is scary. But it’s awesome as a safety feature. 5/7 would return it if it does it randomly.

It does BEEP randomly but never had random brake locks
Interesting, thanks for sharing!
max225

https://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/showt ... ?t=1755498
Wow mid 30s for this epic car.... damn
Huckleberry
Drives: 2004 GTO

max225 wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 8:25 pm https://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/showt ... ?t=1755498
Wow mid 30s for this epic car.... damn
I wonder what the original asking price was since someone had offered him $36k a few months ago and he declined the offer.
max225

Good GOD!

This shows the beauty of OLD M CARS. Dude goes to change the rod bearings which is an issue in itself...
Oil pump shot too ~$1200 for just parts
Vanos pump shot too ~ $2500 for just parts
On top of $1000 for the bearings...

like WTF... so over-engineered for anything but reliability. You can't really drive these things past 100k miles. I am still maintaining that... having had one with nearly 100k miles... Never again.

Well over 10k in just PARTS to bring it back to life... sigh.
Yea yea... :wrong: M cars are Just fine at 300k miles.
max225

yep... And the E46 M3 also has the same elements of this... As that the E90. They are all quite similar in architecture and design/flaws.
I love that V10, but I wouldn't want one with above 100k miles for sure, unless I pay someone who is REALLY good at it to change Vanos/bearings/pumps etc.
ChrisoftheNorth

They're race engines. Race engines are rebuilt after ever race, they're certainly not designed to go 100k miles. It's just the nature of it.
Irish
Drives: '12 GIT (190K!)- 2011 Outie A5

[user not found] wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 2:18 pm
Detroit wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 1:49 pm They're race engines. Race engines are rebuilt after ever race, they're certainly not designed to go 100k miles. It's just the nature of it.

Built to be driven, appreciated, and then made love to with special tools for hours.
I resemble this remark......
max225

Irish wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 4:10 pm
[user not found] wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 2:18 pm

Built to be driven, appreciated, and then made love to with special tools for hours.
I resemble this remark......
:butwhy: