OT XXX: COVID Off Topic

Want to pledge allegiance to the Drumpf? Clash with Caspian? Scared of the stickers on your mailbox? Let's hear it.
wap
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue Meanie

troyguitar wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 4:43 pm I admittedly didn't ask them for English. I found it more fun/interesting to avoid using English whenever possible.
I would do the same if I was even remotely fluent in another language. :(
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Trek Domane

Desertbreh wrote:
troyguitar wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 4:43 pm I admittedly didn't ask them for English. I found it more fun/interesting to avoid using English whenever possible.
I always open in Spanish when in MX, then one of two things happen:

1. I have made a fairly basic inquiry which is met with a simple response I can comprehend or:

2. I am met with a rapid-fire wall of Spanish, at which point I :sad: and I have to have them slow down or switch to Ingles.
Haha yeah there was definitely some of that. My pronunciation is really good but my vocabulary is limited, so I sound great but often don't understand the response.
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Ford Party ST

wap wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 4:14 pm
Detroit wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 3:42 pm
I find it to be a little weird when you encounter Canadians that are dicks about speaking English. Vast majority know how, but every now and then you'll encounter one that just doesn't want to... .gov officials in Quebec are the worst from my limited experience.
Honestly, it's a French thing. We learned this a long time ago on our first trip to Paris. They like their formalities. So the first thing to do when speaking to a French person is to say "bon jour", or if it's later in the day, "bon soir". After they return the greeting you say "parlez vous Anglais?". They'll usually reply with something like, "a leetle", then proceed to speak it very well and your conversation will continue just fine.

What doesn't work, and what they don't like, is for a stranger to just come up to them and start speaking English, or abruptly saying, "do you speak English?". They consider that very rude. That's when they'll act like they don't. It's really similar to a Murican not liking when someone comes up to them and starts to speak foreign.

We've found this technique to work in France, French Canada, and Martinique, which is a French Caribbean island.
:dat:

Was my experience as well when we visited France.
As the only published author in a well-known motorcycle publication in the room...
max225
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

wap wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 4:14 pm
Detroit wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 3:42 pm
I find it to be a little weird when you encounter Canadians that are dicks about speaking English. Vast majority know how, but every now and then you'll encounter one that just doesn't want to... .gov officials in Quebec are the worst from my limited experience.
Honestly, it's a French thing. We learned this a long time ago on our first trip to Paris. They like their formalities. So the first thing to do when speaking to a French person is to say "bon jour", or if it's later in the day, "bon soir". After they return the greeting you say "parlez vous Anglais?". They'll usually reply with something like, "a leetle", then proceed to speak it very well and your conversation will continue just fine.

What doesn't work, and what they don't like, is for a stranger to just come up to them and start speaking English, or abruptly saying, "do you speak English?". They consider that very rude. That's when they'll act like they don't. It's really similar to a Murican not liking when someone comes up to them and starts to speak foreign.

We've found this technique to work in France, French Canada, and Martinique, which is a French Caribbean island.
Cancel France
wap

troyguitar wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 5:04 pm
Desertbreh wrote:
I always open in Spanish when in MX, then one of two things happen:

1. I have made a fairly basic inquiry which is met with a simple response I can comprehend or:

2. I am met with a rapid-fire wall of Spanish, at which point I :sad: and I have to have them slow down or switch to Ingles.
Haha yeah there was definitely some of that. My pronunciation is really good but my vocabulary is limited, so I sound great but often don't understand the response.
Exactly my problem with Greek. I literally have the vocabulary of a 4 year old (plus some swear words, lol) because I spoke it until my grandfather died when I was 4 and stopped speaking it after that.
troyguitar

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/wh ... dangerous/
It might seem unfair to ask people not to see relatives and friends they’ve missed, not to let a college student travel home for Thanksgiving dinner, not to enjoy this small pleasure. It might seem inconsistent to have focused on the dangers of large gatherings all year and begin warning about small gatherings just as they feel the most valuable. But this is a new phase of the pandemic. There’s more virus, in more places, and avoiding it has become harder. Even knowing where you caught it is harder. “The prevalence is so high in the community right now,” Shah said. “You have to see and treat everybody as infected.”
:thisisfine:

:fakenews: :caspian:
troyguitar

You can't argue :fax: against feelings, so I'm going to keep sharing my feelings.
troyguitar

[user not found] wrote:
troyguitar wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 6:54 pm You can't argue :fax: against feelings, so I'm going to keep sharing my feelings.
Just trying to help you share your feelings in a more productive manner.
Lesbihonest, no one here is going to change how they act because of anything that anyone else here posts.

Every single one of us is smarter than everyone else here.
troyguitar

[user not found] wrote:
troyguitar wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 7:37 pm Lesbihonest, no one here is going to change how they act because of anything that anyone else here posts.

Every single one of us is smarter than everyone else here.
...seems you bought a bike because of things other people said. :iono:

And then bought a :fancy: one.
And what everyone said to do was to go to a local shop and spend $2000+ on whatever the shop happened to sell. But I'm smarter than everyone so I did what I wanted and bought random shit from the internet without any local support.
razr390
Drives: MK7.5 on 87

troyguitar wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 6:10 pm https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/wh ... dangerous/
It might seem unfair to ask people not to see relatives and friends they’ve missed, not to let a college student travel home for Thanksgiving dinner, not to enjoy this small pleasure. It might seem inconsistent to have focused on the dangers of large gatherings all year and begin warning about small gatherings just as they feel the most valuable. But this is a new phase of the pandemic. There’s more virus, in more places, and avoiding it has become harder. Even knowing where you caught it is harder. “The prevalence is so high in the community right now,” Shah said. “You have to see and treat everybody as infected.”
:thisisfine:

:fakenews: :caspian:
I will say that I believe more people are "disobedient" or not yielding this more because our leaders and institutions offer hypocrisy on a $400 dinner plate at a buddy's 50th birthday (Newsom & French Laundry) while telling everyone else they cannot spend time with family.

No major news organization condemned mass gatherings that occurred since May against police brutality, no one condemned mass gatherings to celebrate Biden winning. Shit, DOCTORS went ON THE RECORD and said that racism is a bigger problem than COVID when asked about protests being a super spreader event.

Many people who :aintcare: at this point DO NOT trust the institutions because the institutions do not practice what they preach. When you have no trust in the institution, you cannot be surprised that there are those who don't comply.

Institutions turned blind eyes to "woke" gatherings but will criticize others that don't share their worldview. In an open & free society, the media would criticize both sides, AND would place specific emphasis on criticizing those exercising power over others.

I am limiting contact, wearing a mask, socially distancing myself, being as careful as I possibly can BECAUSE it is a human thing to do, NOT because a governor tells me to while they fuck off at a lobbyists' birthday party.
:doughnut: :narc: :doughnut:
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:05 pm DFD. The forum where everybody makes the same choices and then tells anybody trying to join the club that they are the stupidest motherfucker to ever walk the earth.
troyguitar

[user not found] wrote:
troyguitar wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 7:48 pm And what everyone said to do was to go to a local shop and spend $2000+ on whatever the shop happened to sell. But I'm smarter than everyone so I did what I wanted and bought random shit from the internet without any local support.
It all worked out.
:notwrong:
wap

[user not found] wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 6:30 pm
Not :fakenews: but instead of putting Griff on blast try being less :nuke: about it.

I agree with you. We’ve cancelled thanksgiving for our family.
So did we. Just gonna be the 2 of us. :(
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

razr390 wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 8:11 pm
I will say that I believe more people are "disobedient" or not yielding this more because our leaders and institutions offer hypocrisy on a $400 dinner plate at a buddy's 50th birthday (Newsom & French Laundry) while telling everyone else they cannot spend time with family.

No major news organization condemned mass gatherings that occurred since May against police brutality, no one condemned mass gatherings to celebrate Biden winning. Shit, DOCTORS went ON THE RECORD and said that racism is a bigger problem than COVID when asked about protests being a super spreader event.

Many people who :aintcare: at this point DO NOT trust the institutions because the institutions do not practice what they preach. When you have no trust in the institution, you cannot be surprised that there are those who don't comply.

Institutions turned blind eyes to "woke" gatherings but will criticize others that don't share their worldview. In an open & free society, the media would criticize both sides, AND would place specific emphasis on criticizing those exercising power over others.

I am limiting contact, wearing a mask, socially distancing myself, being as careful as I possibly can BECAUSE it is a human thing to do, NOT because a governor tells me to while they fuck off at a lobbyists' birthday party.
:notwrong: the ‘VID has brought out levels of hypocrisy I’ve never before seen, and I am including myself in that. I was astonished to find at least 2X the traffic yesterday on my bike ride than a normal weekday morning, shops look to be completely packed now, no one here gives a shit.

It is funny that I’m being attacked here for having four or five people I trust over for Ann outdoor meal (admittedly deservingly so) while local Targets don’t even have parking spots available they’re so crowded, restaurants fully booked, etc.

:doomed:
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

I decided to give up group rides since cases started spiking, other than maybe one on one with a trusted friend, even that just gets crazier and crazier with groups of 20-50 people getting together almost daily for rides.

I got tested mostly because when I got my sore throat, it was shortly after cycling one night with 15-20 random people. It was probably placebo but that made me really question what I was doing going on rides like that. Sucks to give it up but :ohwell:

Hopefully this vaccine isn’t :fakenews:
razr390

D Griff wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 6:21 am I decided to give up group rides since cases started spiking, other than maybe one on one with a trusted friend, even that just gets crazier and crazier with groups of 20-50 people getting together almost daily for rides.

I got tested mostly because when I got my sore throat, it was shortly after cycling one night with 15-20 random people. It was probably placebo but that made me really question what I was doing going on rides like that. Sucks to give it up but :ohwell:

Hopefully this vaccine isn’t :fakenews:
Just like life is a series of calculated risks, I think the most important thing is that we are all good neighbors and humans to one another. If you have a small family group coming for dinner, the prudent thing to do is to be cautious of your activity for the next 10-14 days. If you were truly a genocidal killer, you’d meet up with family, then go out with friends, then do group rides. But, gathering for a holiday with a small family group and then quarantining won’t be the end of the world.

I wonder what would happen if Troy would actually have to work in one of these essential businesses? Would he quit? Would his logic applied to every retail/essential worker and they either quit or called out of work? Then how would he order curbside grocery pickup or delivery?

It’s all an argument of convenience. Some people are too poor to do delivery, some have no choice but to work during these times.

As for the vaccine, we will see how it does based on those that get it at the first responder/essential worker level. Logistically, they will give it to hospital workers, etc before you or I are even introduced to it.
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:05 pm DFD. The forum where everybody makes the same choices and then tells anybody trying to join the club that they are the stupidest motherfucker to ever walk the earth.
Huckleberry
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Drives: 2004 GTO

My mom texted me yesterday about Thanksgiving, saying that there will only be 10 people, pointing out that they will be under the regulations set by the governor. I told her that we still weren't coming. It's been less than two weeks since they all attended my sister's birthday bash, and given that my one sister and her husband are staunch Trumpsters, I have more than enough reason to skip.
razr390

Huckleberry wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 9:54 am My mom texted me yesterday about Thanksgiving, saying that there will only be 10 people, pointing out that they will be under the regulations set by the governor. I told her that we still weren't coming. It's been less than two weeks since they all attended my sister's birthday bash, and given that my one sister and her husband are staunch Trumpsters, I have more than enough reason to skip.
and that is well within your prerogative too, and no one should judge your or be mad at you for it (although I know family drama BS).
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Mr Newsom’s hypocrisy aside, the most most influential person in the country has been downplaying it since the beginning, with roughly half of the US population blindly following him

News orgs absolutely questioned the risk and there have been no significant case growth linked to such protests. And when police are unjustly killing and brutalizing people what should they do? Sit on their hands and wait for the pandemic to end :stfu:

well, when the party in power continues to snub scientific evidence and allow baseless conspiracy theories to spread...

Wtf are you even talking about.

You don’t even live in CA
As the only published author in a well-known motorcycle publication in the room...
razr390

4zilch wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 11:27 am

Mr Newsom’s hypocrisy aside, the most most influential person in the country has been downplaying it since the beginning, with roughly half of the US population blindly following him

News orgs absolutely questioned the risk and there have been no significant case growth linked to such protests. And when police are unjustly killing and brutalizing people what should they do? Sit on their hands and wait for the pandemic to end :stfu:

well, when the party in power continues to snub scientific evidence and allow baseless conspiracy theories to spread...

Wtf are you even talking about.

You don’t even live in CA
I am also highly critical of the fact that the administration dropped the ball. I am not a Trump supporter or sympathizer. Everyone fucked this up, but you cannot deny that people have been sending mixed messages (not just from White House but all institutions of government).
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

razr390 wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 11:57 am
I am also highly critical of the fact that the administration dropped the ball. I am not a Trump supporter or sympathizer. Everyone fucked this up, but you cannot deny that people have been sending mixed messages (not just from White House but all institutions of government).
You mean the people that acknowledge the existence and the seriousness of the pandemic vs those that play it off like it’s NBD...
Huckleberry

Mixed messages have been sent from day one, but there is a difference between changing the message over time based on new scientific findings and sending out messages contrary to scientific evidence that is based on feelings. For example, the CDC said early on that wearing masks was not necessary for the general public, and then changed course to saying that masks should be worn. The problem resides in the fact that when the message was changed, the President immediately decided to tell everyone that it was optional, that he was not going to personally wear one, and spent months openly mocking people for wearing masks. This enabled his supporters to latch onto the original CDC statement for the general public to not wear masks as proof that masks don't work and justify their own recklessness in the name of freedom.

I don't know what news you have been watching, but I have seen plenty of concern about the large gatherings with the protests and Biden victory celebrations. However, those same people also pointed out that, at least from what they could visually determine, the majority of people appeared to be wearing facial coverings. It's a stark difference from the Trump rallies where the majority was without masks, and as a result, many cases and deaths were directly traced to those events.
max225
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

Huckleberry wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 12:27 pm

Mixed messages have been sent from day one, but there is a difference between changing the message over time based on new scientific findings and sending out messages contrary to scientific evidence that is based on feelings. For example, the CDC said early on that wearing masks was not necessary for the general public, and then changed course to saying that masks should be worn. The problem resides in the fact that when the message was changed, the President immediately decided to tell everyone that it was optional, that he was not going to personally wear one, and spent months openly mocking people for wearing masks. This enabled his supporters to latch onto the original CDC statement for the general public to not wear masks as proof that masks don't work and justify their own recklessness in the name of freedom.

I don't know what news you have been watching, but I have seen plenty of concern about the large gatherings with the protests and Biden victory celebrations. However, those same people also pointed out that, at least from what they could visually determine, the majority of people appeared to be wearing facial coverings. It's a stark difference from the Trump rallies where the majority was without masks, and as a result, many cases and deaths were directly traced to those events.
For now the deaths are vastly skewed towards the 65+ demographic. 180k of the deaths are concentrated in that demographic, which amounts to only 51M of the population. 66% of deaths in 13% of the population... The sub 45 y/o s seems to have almost no deaths at all. Under 6k for 192M of population... and the vast majority of infections. That's why people don't take it seriously
Huckleberry

max225 wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 2:39 pm
Huckleberry wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 12:27 pm

For now the deaths are vastly skewed towards the 65+ demographic. 180k of the deaths are concentrated in that demographic, which amounts to only 51M of the population. 66% of deaths in 13% of the population... The sub 45 y/o s seems to have almost no deaths at all. Under 6k for 192M of population... and the vast majority of infections. That's why people don't take it seriously
Sure, when you selfishly look at the odds and how they solely pertain to yourself, everything can be perceived as much ado about nothing. Personally, I know quite a few people who are in the 60+ age bracket, and a number of them have underlying health issues in various degrees of severity. So, I'm making temporary changes in my lifestyle to keep those people safer. It's also not just a life/death situation, since studies are now showing that those recovering from COVID are also experiencing long term respiratory and neurological effects. So, maybe it won't kill you, but you still run the risk of dealing with some shit for the rest of your life, or watching a family member deal with some shit for the rest of their life.
troyguitar

razr390 wrote:
I wonder what would happen if Troy would actually have to work in one of these essential businesses? Would he quit? Would his logic applied to every retail/essential worker and they either quit or called out of work? Then how would he order curbside grocery pickup or delivery?

It’s all an argument of convenience. Some people are too poor to do delivery, some have no choice but to work during these times.
You seem to be thinking about this as some kind of sunk cost type of fallacy. You have to take some big risks, therefore it's OK to take smaller ones too because "what's one more little trip compared to 12 hours in a hospital"?

Here's what it is: It's an additional unnecessary risk that's actually worse for everyone than someone like me doing the same thing.

People who have to take bigger risks to pay the rent should be taking things even more seriously than I do. They NEED to stay healthy - and they have a MUCH higher chance of unwittingly spreading it. It's both better for them and for society if they go straight from work to home and not fuck around with travels and parties.
fledonfoot
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Taco Truk | Power Wheels Heep

Wifey continues to feel like lukewarm garbage. Waiting on test results, so we’ll see where we go from here. I’m worried about her asthma issues, but made sure she’s stocked up with a fresh refill of her inhaler and Advair.

My 7 year old niece also is running a 102 fever and other symptoms, thanks to exposure from her step sister, that her mother didn’t tell my sister in law about before sending her over to their place for the weekend. My SIL is a nurse and is fuming at this shitty decision to not tell her that she was sick before dropping her off.

My mother in law is a 3 time stage 3 cancer survivor and has watched my niece while my SIL has been at work on night shift this week, so now my extremely high risk MIL is quarantined and went to get tested this morning.

People fucking suck.