Car Talk 5: The Juice is Loose!

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Hooptie Crotchfruit Carrier

A brake line failure is clearly the result of modifying an engine. :like:
Irish
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Drives: '12 GIT (190K!)- 2011 Outie A5

:crang: :dolphin:
Huckleberry
Drives: 2004 GTO

max225 wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 11:18 am https://youtu.be/JVUScuZ_YPA

Tune !!!!!! Bro !! Slay the mcchickens !!! Super reliable !!! Unleash what the engineers fucked from the factory
It's things like this where I see people bragging about 1,000+ HP and being able to beat supercars like that McLaren, and I'm just thinking, "Sure, but the McLaren got to drive home."
Huckleberry

D Griff wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 11:00 am
Huckleberry wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 8:57 am

It's amazing how much tires can make or break a vehicle. The GTI handled well with the stock Bridgestones, but it handles that much better with the Michelins.
Cale gave me some used Michelin A/S3 Runflats for my stock :poorvette: wheels a month or two ago, and dare I say for run flats/used tires, the Michelin high-perf all season is an impressive thing. The grip is seriously :notbad: and they ride a lot better than other runflats from earlier years. I don't think I'd pay the $1K for them, but I'd definitely throw their high performance all seasons on a daily driver in the future.

I did have to do one session at VIR with the Michelin 245 all seasons up front and the Falken 200tw 275s on the back and it was :lolol:
Yeah, I typically stay away from Michelin because they almost always tend to be pricey, but Costco was running a deal where I would get $110 off with the purchase of four, and that made the price much more amendable.
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: 1986 Hyundai Excel, 351C swap

Huckleberry wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 3:51 pm

Tune !!!!!! Bro !! Slay the mcchickens !!! Super reliable !!! Unleash what the engineers fucked from the factory
It's things like this where I see people bragging about 1,000+ HP and being able to beat supercars like that McLaren, and I'm just thinking, "Sure, but the McLaren got to drive home."
:dat: right there.

crazy mods are crazy.

The most I do anymore is a light tune and I would consider exhaust on a car that sounded a bit anemic.
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: 1986 Hyundai Excel, 351C swap

Huckleberry wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 3:52 pm
D Griff wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 11:00 am

Cale gave me some used Michelin A/S3 Runflats for my stock :poorvette: wheels a month or two ago, and dare I say for run flats/used tires, the Michelin high-perf all season is an impressive thing. The grip is seriously :notbad: and they ride a lot better than other runflats from earlier years. I don't think I'd pay the $1K for them, but I'd definitely throw their high performance all seasons on a daily driver in the future.

I did have to do one session at VIR with the Michelin 245 all seasons up front and the Falken 200tw 275s on the back and it was :lolol:
Yeah, I typically stay away from Michelin because they almost always tend to be pricey, but Costco was running a deal where I would get $110 off with the purchase of four, and that made the price much more amendable.
I love Michelin and put them on my 911 after 1000 miles and a nail in one tire. I could have gotten one more Pirelli, but those tires really sucked and were expensive. So far, the Pilot Sport 4s's are awesome. I had PSS on most of my cars since the 2011 GTI and love the grip and surprisingly long life.

The Contisportcontact 5P's on my R have surprised me though, they really are :notbad: if the roads are dry and warm. The reviews seem to say that if the temps drop, they suck hard so I was expecting pure crap. Currently at 4k miles on them. If they go downhill they will be swapped.
wap
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue Meanie

wap wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 9:29 pm

:fuckyeah:
Lemonade out of lemons.
It's amazing how much tires can make or break a vehicle. The GTI handled well with the stock Bridgestones, but it handles that much better with the Michelins.
:notwrong:
I'm kinda looking forward to when my Bridgestones need replacement so I can get something better. I'm way too :scrooge: to replace them now with only 15k miles on them, :doe: so I'll wait.
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
wap

Eh. It'll buff out.
wap

Irish wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 2:31 pm :crang: :dolphin:
:lol:
Huckleberry

wap wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 5:26 pm

I'm kinda looking forward to when my Bridgestones need replacement so I can get something better. I'm way too :scrooge: to replace them now with only 15k miles on them, :doe: so I'll wait.
I was just going to replace the front tires, but it was $400 for two new Bridgestones. With the Costco deal, it was $620 installed for all four Michelins. It was an easy decision.
Huckleberry

CorvetteWaxer wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 4:28 pm
Huckleberry wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 3:52 pm

I love Michelin and put them on my 911 after 1000 miles and a nail in one tire. I could have gotten one more Pirelli, but those tires really sucked and were expensive. So far, the Pilot Sport 4s's are awesome. I had PSS on most of my cars since the 2011 GTI and love the grip and surprisingly long life.

The Contisportcontact 5P's on my R have surprised me though, they really are :notbad: if the roads are dry and warm. The reviews seem to say that if the temps drop, they suck hard so I was expecting pure crap. Currently at 4k miles on them. If they go downhill they will be swapped.
I typically go for Continental or Nitto for my tires because they generally yield a great performance/$, but these PS A/S 4s are impressive. I'll be considering Michelin for the 944.
Huckleberry

CorvetteWaxer wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 4:20 pm
Huckleberry wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 3:51 pm

:dat: right there.

crazy mods are crazy.

The most I do anymore is a light tune and I would consider exhaust on a car that sounded a bit anemic.
I'll go further than that since I am currently swapping a V8 into a 944, but I don't build my engines to be run on the ragged edge just to pop off a couple hero runs on the dyno. Too many people are obsessed with trying to get a comma in their power ratings and haven't even been in something that produces half of their goal.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

The General G-Max RS on my R are awesome! Coming from the Conti 5Ps these are in a different league. Do recommend!
max225
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

I loved my PSSs, the most. Continental Sport Contacts are are nearly as good if not as good. And they cost 30% less
wap

Huckleberry wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 8:51 pm
wap wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 5:26 pm

I was just going to replace the front tires, but it was $400 for two new Bridgestones. With the Costco deal, it was $620 installed for all four Michelins. It was an easy decision.
Yea, that's :notbad: at all
Huckleberry

Tarspin wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 9:30 pm The General G-Max RS on my R are awesome! Coming from the Conti 5Ps these are in a different league. Do recommend!
General looks to have stepped their game up recently. I had a set of their Exclaim UHPs on my GTO way back in 2008/2009 and wasn't very impressed with them. The G-Max RS is getting top marks on Tire Rack, right in line with the Indy500s, and at a decent discount over the Firestones.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

Huckleberry wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 8:35 am
Tarspin wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 9:30 pm The General G-Max RS on my R are awesome! Coming from the Conti 5Ps these are in a different league. Do recommend!
General looks to have stepped their game up recently. I had a set of their Exclaim UHPs on my GTO way back in 2008/2009 and wasn't very impressed with them. The G-Max RS is getting top marks on Tire Rack, right in line with the Indy500s, and at a decent discount over the Firestones.
For daily duties I'm thoroughly impressed, they have a strong sidewall and even the tread has a lot of :meat: , they are sticky, good on dry/rain and really quiet. 5/7 for the price.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

PSS gets me all :triggered:

20 minutes on track and there goes $800.
max225

D Griff wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 11:12 am PSS gets me all :triggered:

It’s not a track tire... and yea I’ll get flamed for saying this.
troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Trek Domane

max225 wrote:

Nah you're :notwrong:

It's a great actual street tire, but poor track tire. If you have a really great setup on your car and stretch them on a wide wheel (I ran 265/35 on 10.5" wide) and are very careful about not overdriving then they can last... but there are so many better track tire options for the same price or less.

Michelin makes the sport cup for track days - and they own BFG so really the Rival is their best street/track tire.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

max225 wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 11:46 am

It isn't. BUT it is a high performance tire and that 20 minute thing is not an exaggeration. They went from basically new to utterly unusable in one track day, which for a performance tire is just embarrassing. The Falkens I now use are designed for it and hold up well, as expected, but I've used Bridgestone, Pirelli, and Conti street tires on track and all could at least make it through three or four days. I will never get off my soap box on this, as the entire car journalist industry touts it as the absolute best performance tire and my mileage varied immensely from that.

Hell, I even had to use my Michelin all seasons on track for one session last month and they didn't show any abnormal/insane wear.
Johnny_P
Drives: Blue short bus

I like the Dunlop’s that came on my car. :wrong:

Sport maxx or something
Johnny_P
Drives: Blue short bus

Tarspin wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 9:18 am
Huckleberry wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 8:35 am

For daily duties I'm thoroughly impressed, they have a strong sidewall and even the tread has a lot of :meat: , they are sticky, good on dry/rain and really quiet. 5/7 for the price.
General makes good tires. Tire prices are out of control. As evidenced by so many people buying Chinese Tiger Paw and Ling Longs in my hood. 90% of people don’t give a damn.
max225

So... my buddy was going to test drive some cars for the sig other... and decided maybe take a stinger out for a spin since they are looking for a slanty H CUV.

$20 fee now... to test drive... due to cOvId "cleaning fee"
Irish
Drives: '12 GIT (190K!)- 2011 Outie A5

My Son sold 20 cars in August. I 'm :mindblown: that that many people, in a relatively rural area, are buying Volkswagens during a pandemic...