OT 18: Anti-Social Distancing

Off-topic? You mean on-topic!
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

[user not found] wrote: Tue Aug 18, 2020 9:01 pm
troyguitar wrote: Tue Aug 18, 2020 8:28 pm Obviously I haven't lived in civilization in a loooong time so I'm out of touch with what it's like anywhere with a healthy economy. Been almost 10 years now. I don't even believe you guys are telling the truth anymore about how awesome it is near any real city. If I pretend that you're all lying then I don't feel as bad about myself for missing out on life.
Prior to COVID, it's awesome near cities.

Now, who fucking cares. Get me the fuck away from people.
This mindset gaining traction everywhere, people song partial/full WFH are beginning to sell condos in downtown city center here and moving farther out where detached homes are financially accessible. I'm just outside of the core Toronto metropolis and home sales are beginning to accelerate in the last month.
Apex
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Abominable

[user not found] wrote: Tue Aug 18, 2020 10:21 pm
troyguitar wrote: Tue Aug 18, 2020 8:08 pm :thankstrump:

I was under the impression that no one was working or hiring unless you have :alpo: level skills/experience.
It's a mixed bag. Mostly service sector stuff had been nuked but certainly not exclusively. You'll see a ton of remote customer facing jobs, nothing special but great ways to get your foot in the door.
:hai:
I did a demo for a new customer up near Boston from my loft today.
troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Trek Domane

[user not found] wrote:
troyguitar wrote: Tue Aug 18, 2020 8:08 pm :thankstrump:

I was under the impression that no one was working or hiring unless you have :alpo: level skills/experience.
It's a mixed bag. Mostly service sector stuff had been nuked but certainly not exclusively. You'll see a ton of remote customer facing jobs, nothing special but great ways to get your foot in the door.
Out here it's largely a bunch of people on TrumpBux waiting/hoping for jobs to come back, but most of the jobs are not coming back. I don't know the numbers but it's very bad here, despite very few virus cases.

Customer-facing probably means I'd need to find out where you work and apply to... anywhere else since you would know better than to hire me for that. :thisisfine:
Apex

My kiddo has learned the baby-shark song and sings it all day. :doomed:
troyguitar

Apex wrote:My kiddo has learned the baby-shark song and sings it all day. :doomed:
Better put the Josh Groban and James Corden version on!
razr390
Drives: MK7.5 on 87

troyguitar wrote: Tue Aug 18, 2020 10:27 pm
[user not found] wrote:
Out here it's largely a bunch of people on TrumpBux waiting/hoping for jobs to come back, but most of the jobs are not coming back. I don't know the numbers but it's very bad here, despite very few virus cases.

Customer-facing probably means I'd need to find out where you work and apply to... anywhere else since you would know better than to hire me for that. :thisisfine:
I think you should just apply to so many opportunities that eventually you will get so lucky to have one interview. I applied to 90 jobs in the span of a few weeks before I landed with the company I’m at. The only one to call me back.

The difference between your perception on who is privileged and lucky on this forum is that most people who are super successful here don’t have the time or energy to complain about their “setbacks” that aren’t super life altering (lost a home, lost a job, etc.) they just keep doing what they know they need to do.

You admitted that you did not search for any new remote jobs since last year, but you asked [user not found] how to survive in a region/city that is falling behind with civilization, even though YOU as an individual are probably highly capable and gifted in computer/tech and you are well in the know or can find out what’s going on in the world and the country by a few simple google searches.

At one point you have to put it upon yourself to make that effort. No one will do it for you and every moment you have an expectation that someone will, you will be disappointed each time.
:doughnut: :narc: :doughnut:
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:05 pm DFD. The forum where everybody makes the same choices and then tells anybody trying to join the club that they are the stupidest motherfucker to ever walk the earth.
Johnny_P
Drives: Blue short bus

fledonfoot wrote: Tue Aug 18, 2020 8:43 pm I got the arm straight out to 25 degrees today at PT, which is just past a medically functional range of motion. Still struggling with flexion but got to about 105 degrees, so still 25 degrees short of functional and 40 of my goal. Trying to get to a 10-145 range if 0-160 is normal. After this morning’s follow up, we’ve realized that I will likely never fully straighten my arm again, even with the possibility of more surgery.

She basically ripped my arm off today and I’ll be getting a more aggressive session on Thursday. These sessions are hurting, but I’m seeing small consistent gains.
Keep at it!
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

troyguitar wrote: Tue Aug 18, 2020 7:51 pm FWIW this is literally the first time I have ever heard of anyone hiring entry level people 100% remote. I have searched a number of times for that for 10 years.
It’s only done now because the employers have no choice. I have noticed a major downturn dealing with our entry-level people now that they are remote. It kind of makes sense that sending one someone out fully on their own with only be done when the company knows they can be trusted and will do good work in that environment without micromanagement.

Also, if you look at history, usually what people think will happen to them as what actually happens to them. Extremely negative people end up miserable because they are always expecting the worst and that is what they get. That is my point about overthinking. I’m not going to move to Corning because I don’t want to live there for all of the reasons that you site. That said I spent years here in Charlotte making 35K, It’s just something you have to do and figure it out. Also [user not found] lives in Allentown Pennsylvania which isn’t exactly paradise, I bet he would end up being pretty happy if his job took him to Corning. That is why he is circling back to the therapy idea.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

D Griff wrote: Wed Aug 19, 2020 8:19 am
troyguitar wrote: Tue Aug 18, 2020 7:51 pm FWIW this is literally the first time I have ever heard of anyone hiring entry level people 100% remote. I have searched a number of times for that for 10 years.
Also, if you look at history, usually what people think will happen to them as what actually happens to them. Extremely negative people end up miserable because they are always expecting the worst and that is what they get.

Absolutely :dat:

This is true for everyone, a positive attitude and thankfulness is like 70% success for most people, the other 30% is the willingness to jump on opportunities when they present themselves, even when they are outside of the comfort zone.
Desertbreh

fledonfoot wrote: Tue Aug 18, 2020 8:43 pm I got the arm straight out to 25 degrees today at PT, which is just past a medically functional range of motion. Still struggling with flexion but got to about 105 degrees, so still 25 degrees short of functional and 40 of my goal. Trying to get to a 10-145 range if 0-160 is normal. After this morning’s follow up, we’ve realized that I will likely never fully straighten my arm again, even with the possibility of more surgery.

She basically ripped my arm off today and I’ll be getting a more aggressive session on Thursday. These sessions are hurting, but I’m seeing small consistent gains.
Great work man. This is a feel good story on this forum, even if it doesn't feel real good to you right now.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
Apex

[user not found] wrote: Wed Aug 19, 2020 10:08 am
Tarspin wrote: Wed Aug 19, 2020 8:39 am

This is true for everyone, a positive attitude and thankfulness is like 70% success for most people, the other 30% is the willingness to jump on opportunities when they present themselves, even when they are outside of the comfort zone.
100%

The amount of senior people that comment to me about my attitude and willingness to work on anything that needs to be done (including stuff that "isn't my job") is noticable. I'm convinced it has an impact on my success.

I heard a story, which I don't know if it is true or not, about a hiring manager at a company that would leave a piece of trash on the floor on the way to the interview room. Everyone that made it to the interview stage was qualified, but the folks that grabbed the trash and threw it out or asked for a trashcan proved they had an attention to detail, that they were self starters, and that they were willing to go out of their comfort zone. Those would usually be who he hired. Again, not sure if it's true (probably not) but it's a good analogy on how to get ahead.
Taking the “other duties as assigned” piece of the job description has been a crux in my career. Getting out of the usual day to day scheme to work on/learn something new is fun.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

100%

The amount of senior people that comment to me about my attitude and willingness to work on anything that needs to be done (including stuff that "isn't my job") is noticable. I'm convinced it has an impact on my success.

I heard a story, which I don't know if it is true or not, about a hiring manager at a company that would leave a piece of trash on the floor on the way to the interview room. Everyone that made it to the interview stage was qualified, but the folks that grabbed the trash and threw it out or asked for a trashcan proved they had an attention to detail, that they were self starters, and that they were willing to go out of their comfort zone. Those would usually be who he hired. Again, not sure if it's true (probably not) but it's a good analogy on how to get ahead.
:like:

I think that setting the mind to "good karma" mode puts a person in the right zone to pick up that piece of trash so it ties nicely into how being positive brings success. I like the example/analogy quite a bit!
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Speaking of which I actually hit 10000 :poop: posts!
Apex

Tarspin wrote: Wed Aug 19, 2020 10:32 am Speaking of which I actually hit 10000 :poop: posts!
:bravo:
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Apex wrote: Wed Aug 19, 2020 10:39 am
Tarspin wrote: Wed Aug 19, 2020 10:32 am Speaking of which I actually hit 10000 :poop: posts!
:bravo:
:bow:
Apex

[user not found] wrote: Wed Aug 19, 2020 10:53 am
Tarspin wrote: Wed Aug 19, 2020 10:31 am

I think that setting the mind to "good karma" mode puts a person in the right zone to pick up that piece of trash so it ties nicely into how being positive brings success. I like the example/analogy quite a bit!
It also just makes life so much more pleasant. You truly get back what you put out
:fax:
troyguitar

[user not found] wrote:
Apex wrote: Wed Aug 19, 2020 10:56 am :fax:
Bingo! Exactly why he's a miserable fuck that won't ever find happiness without doing some self work first.
You all really think that I sit around doing nothing all day?
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

troyguitar wrote: Tue Aug 18, 2020 8:08 pm
[user not found] wrote:
Yeah it's a totally new world since covid started. Much to your benefit.
:thankstrump:

I have told you a bunch of times that my company has been hiring like crazy. It's not like it's some unicorn situation. I don't think what we have on the entry (customer/technical support) is really what you're looking for, but many companies are hiring. Think of all the products/services that are absolutely BOOMING because of COVID:

-bicycles
-used cars/internet car sales
-musical instruments
-home electronics
-home improvement
-real estate
-fitness equipment
-anything outdoor/recreational

I'm sure there's way more shit that I'm unaware of. COVID seems to have bolstered basically every industry but travel, hospitality, and live events and those that support those things.
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

Tarspin wrote: Wed Aug 19, 2020 10:31 am

100%

:dat:
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

D Griff wrote: Wed Aug 19, 2020 8:19 am

Also, if you look at history, usually what people think will happen to them as what actually happens to them. Extremely negative people end up miserable because they are always expecting the worst and that is what they get.

I totally agree.

In Troy's defense though, there is a chunk of it that's luck and a chunk that is natural abilities, whatever they may be. I went to school for music and engineering, didn't really excel at either of those things, but I am pretty good with words and get along with people well, so technical sales suits me pretty well. Using the engineering/tech background but I'm not cut out for designing circuits, writing software, etc.
wap

[user not found] wrote: Wed Aug 19, 2020 11:04 am
Apex wrote: Wed Aug 19, 2020 10:56 am

:fax:
Bingo! Exactly why he's a miserable fuck that won't ever find happiness without doing some self work first.
Wait. Are you talking about :mahtroy: here or :fax: ? :lol:
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

D Griff wrote: Wed Aug 19, 2020 11:27 am

I totally agree.

In Troy's defense though, there is a chunk of it that's luck and a chunk that is natural abilities, whatever they may be. I went to school for music and engineering, didn't really excel at either of those things, but I am pretty good with words and get along with people well, so technical sales suits me pretty well. Using the engineering/tech background but I'm not cut out for designing circuits, writing software, etc.
It's cool to lean on the soft skills that a person is good at, you're a super easy to get along with person and sales works. I suck at people so I fix robots. It could have just as easily been guitars or cars.
wap

[user not found] wrote: Wed Aug 19, 2020 11:41 am
troyguitar wrote: Wed Aug 19, 2020 11:10 am You all really think that I sit around doing nothing all day?
The he I was referring to is :fax:
wap wrote: Wed Aug 19, 2020 11:28 am
[user not found] wrote: Wed Aug 19, 2020 11:04 am

Wait. Are you talking about :mahtroy: here or :fax: ? :lol:
Ah.

Where's :fax: been lately, by the way? Off being miserable somewhere?
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: 1986 Hyundai Excel, 351C swap

CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: 1986 Hyundai Excel, 351C swap