OT 18: Anti-Social Distancing

Off-topic? You mean on-topic!
troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Trek Domane

Detroit wrote:
troyguitar wrote: Tue Aug 18, 2020 5:17 pm Tell me that again in June, champ. I thought similarly. I was wrong.
True, we'll see...
One difference that I had not realized was that lake effect does not only mean more snow. It means a lot more clouds. Eastern Michigan doesn't really experience the lake effect as much as the Western parts. Similarly Toronto has much nicer weather than Rochester. You'll probably have on the order of 10% more gray days and all of them during the winter.

Going that far North also means noticeably shorter days.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

troyguitar wrote: Tue Aug 18, 2020 5:35 pm
Detroit wrote: True, we'll see...
One difference that I had not realized was that lake effect does not only mean more snow. It means a lot more clouds. Eastern Michigan doesn't really experience the lake effect as much as the Western parts. Similarly Toronto has much nicer weather than Rochester. You'll probably have on the order of 10% more gray days and all of them during the winter.

Detroit is gray from November through March. No real change there.

Shorter days is a good observation :doe: Will need to think about that.

Not so much viewing this as a permanent solution, because nothing seems to be with us...but this could be a fun experience for 5 or so years maybe.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
Desertbreh

Detroit wrote: Tue Aug 18, 2020 6:02 pm
troyguitar wrote: Tue Aug 18, 2020 5:35 pm One difference that I had not realized was that lake effect does not only mean more snow. It means a lot more clouds. Eastern Michigan doesn't really experience the lake effect as much as the Western parts. Similarly Toronto has much nicer weather than Rochester. You'll probably have on the order of 10% more gray days and all of them during the winter.

Not so much viewing this as a permanent solution, because nothing seems to be with us...but this could be a fun experience for 5 or so years maybe.
Shorter days in winter=longer days in summer. I lived in Tacoma, WA for 3 years, which is in the same ballpark as Traverse City. November through January was black to dark grey to lighter gray to dark grey to black. Light gray was like 10 am to 2pm. It does get old.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

troyguitar wrote: Tue Aug 18, 2020 5:35 pm One difference that I had not realized was that lake effect does not only mean more snow. It means a lot more clouds. Eastern Michigan doesn't really experience the lake effect as much as the Western parts. Similarly Toronto has much nicer weather than Rochester. You'll probably have on the order of 10% more gray days and all of them during the winter.

I think all of us kind of overthink a "permanent solution". Just follow what makes you happy and also try to be thankful/happy with what you've got.
Desertbreh

D Griff wrote: Tue Aug 18, 2020 6:09 pm

I think all of us kind of overthink a "permanent solution". Just follow what makes you happy and also try to be thankful/happy with what you've got.
Dan, try not to end the forum.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
troyguitar

Detroit wrote:

It's a real change. Like ~20% more gray in winter plus the even shorter days. (plus the winter lasting 50% longer)

You won't have occasional nice days in March. Those will be in May, if you haven't jumped off the Mackinac bridge yet.
Desertbreh

[user not found] wrote: Tue Aug 18, 2020 6:14 pm That said, moving north is a real issue if you have any seasonal affectiveness issue. I know I can't go north of Boston no matter how much I would love to
Summer home doe.
troyguitar

[user not found] wrote:
D Griff wrote: Tue Aug 18, 2020 6:09 pm I think all of us kind of overthink a "permanent solution". Just follow what makes you happy and also try to be thankful/happy with what you've got.
THANK YOU GIF
That's only true if you never land in a place where the real estate and salaries appreciate less than those of... anywhere else you might ever want to live before you die.

Every second you spend in a place like that is actively hurting your future.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

troyguitar wrote: Tue Aug 18, 2020 6:17 pm
[user not found] wrote:
THANK YOU GIF
That's only true if you never land in a place where the real estate and salaries appreciate less than those of... anywhere else you might ever want to live before you die.

This is also overthinking.
troyguitar

[user not found] wrote:
troyguitar wrote: Tue Aug 18, 2020 6:17 pm That's only true if you never land in a place where the real estate and salaries appreciate less than those of... anywhere else you might ever want to live before you die.

Go see a therapist already.
Have you ever lived somewhere that was being left behind by the civilized world?
troyguitar

D Griff wrote:
troyguitar wrote: Tue Aug 18, 2020 6:17 pm That's only true if you never land in a place where the real estate and salaries appreciate less than those of... anywhere else you might ever want to live before you die.

This is also overthinking.
So move your ass to bumfuckville for 10 years and watch Charlotte houses shoot up over $1M.

Then don't fucking cry about how you can never afford to go home again (or retire).
troyguitar

[user not found] wrote:
troyguitar wrote: Tue Aug 18, 2020 6:57 pm Have you ever lived somewhere that was being left behind by the civilized world?
1) yes.

2) The internet. How does it work?
1: Bullshit. Where, when, and how much did you buy and sell your place for?

2: How DOES it work? Are you hiring anyone (entry-level dumbasses like me) 100% remote right now?
troyguitar

[user not found] wrote:
troyguitar wrote: Tue Aug 18, 2020 7:08 pm 1: Bullshit. Where, when, and how much did you buy and sell your place for?

2: How DOES it work? Are you hiring anyone (entry-level dumbasses like me) 100% remote right now?
Seeing a therapist has nothing to do with either of these things BUT we've hired about 500 people entirely remote in the past four months.
Entry-level dumbasses like me? Still waiting to hear about your :alpo: luck on #1.

I can tell you how Bloomsburg, PA and Williamsport, PA and Lawrenceburg, KY and Corning, NY worked out though. Over 8.5 years we are at a rough net of negative $60k on our housing "investments" so far. Not counting interest, closing costs, moving expenses, or any home maintenance/repairs/appliances/upgrades.

troyguitar

[user not found] wrote:
troyguitar wrote: Tue Aug 18, 2020 7:18 pm Entry-level dumbasses like me? Still waiting to hear about your :alpo: luck on #1.

I can tell you how Bloomsburg, PA and Williamsport, PA and Lawrenceburg, KY and Corning, NY worked out though. Over 8.5 years we are at a rough net of negative $60k on our housing "investments" so far. Not counting interest, closing costs, moving expenses, or any home maintenance/repairs/appliances/upgrades.
I never bought in any of those places but you moved the goal posts with that comment so ignored it. Yes, I've lived several places like that as per the first question.

Again, what's any of this have to do with a therapist? Nothing. Get a therapist.
You refused to participate by changing the subject from housing/climate/geography to... therapy?

I maintained the goalposts, you tried to claim that we were not in a stadium but in a drum circle.

If you've got a particular :therapist: recommendation then by all means share it with me, but YOU are the one trying to change the subject to avoid talking about it.
troyguitar

[user not found] wrote:And yes, the significant bulk of our new hires were entry level and 1) compensated like it and 2) expected to work 40 hours a week because that's the way the world works (I'm not saying it should, I'm saying it does).
40 or at least 40 which really ends up being 50+?

I'll apply tomorrow for a 100% remote 40 hour max job. You won't hire me, but I'll apply.
troyguitar

[user not found] wrote:
troyguitar wrote: Tue Aug 18, 2020 7:46 pm 40 or at least 40 which really ends up being 50+?

I'll apply tomorrow for a 100% remote 40 hour max job. You won't hire me, but I'll apply.
40 which is 40 which is 40. That said, it's certainly not 40 max, but these are hourly so time and a half is at play. I can't imagine going over 40 with these roles more than half a dozen days a year.
Done, shoot me a link and I'll apply tomorrow.
troyguitar

FWIW this is literally the first time I have ever heard of anyone hiring entry level people 100% remote. I have searched a number of times for that for 10 years.
troyguitar

Right, because reinventing the wheel is smarter than asking the guy who has 4 of them how to make one.
troyguitar

[user not found] wrote:
troyguitar wrote: Tue Aug 18, 2020 7:51 pm FWIW this is literally the first time I have ever heard of anyone hiring entry level people 100% remote. I have searched a number of times for that for 10 years.
If you haven't searched it since May, you've never searched it in this environment.
That I have admittedly not done. Last time I looked was last year. Plenty of remote opportunities for those with experience, zero entry level.
troyguitar

[user not found] wrote:
troyguitar wrote: Tue Aug 18, 2020 7:59 pm That I have admittedly not done. Last time I looked was last year. Plenty of remote opportunities for those with experience, zero entry level.
Yeah it's a totally new world since covid started. Much to your benefit.
:thankstrump:

I was under the impression that no one was working or hiring unless you have :alpo: level skills/experience.
troyguitar

Obviously I haven't lived in civilization in a loooong time so I'm out of touch with what it's like anywhere with a healthy economy. Been almost 10 years now. I don't even believe you guys are telling the truth anymore about how awesome it is near any real city. If I pretend that you're all lying then I don't feel as bad about myself for missing out on life.
fledonfoot
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Taco Truk | Power Wheels Heep

Textbook delusional.

This is an (admittedly strange) new world.
fledonfoot
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Taco Truk | Power Wheels Heep

I got the arm straight out to 25 degrees today at PT, which is just past a medically functional range of motion. Still struggling with flexion but got to about 105 degrees, so still 25 degrees short of functional and 40 of my goal. Trying to get to a 10-145 range if 0-160 is normal. After this morning’s follow up, we’ve realized that I will likely never fully straighten my arm again, even with the possibility of more surgery.

She basically ripped my arm off today and I’ll be getting a more aggressive session on Thursday. These sessions are hurting, but I’m seeing small consistent gains.
wap
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue Meanie

fledonfoot wrote: Tue Aug 18, 2020 8:43 pm I got the arm straight out to 25 degrees today at PT, which is just past a medically functional range of motion. Still struggling with flexion but got to about 105 degrees, so still 25 degrees short of functional and 40 of my goal. Trying to get to a 10-145 range if 0-160 is normal. After this morning’s follow up, we’ve realized that I will likely never fully straighten my arm again, even with the possibility of more surgery.

She basically ripped my arm off today and I’ll be getting a more aggressive session on Thursday. These sessions are hurting, but I’m seeing small consistent gains.
Glad to hear you're making progress, dude! :fuckyeah:
Continued good luck with your PT.
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
Apex
Drives: Abominable

fledonfoot wrote: Tue Aug 18, 2020 8:43 pm I got the arm straight out to 25 degrees today at PT, which is just past a medically functional range of motion. Still struggling with flexion but got to about 105 degrees, so still 25 degrees short of functional and 40 of my goal. Trying to get to a 10-145 range if 0-160 is normal. After this morning’s follow up, we’ve realized that I will likely never fully straighten my arm again, even with the possibility of more surgery.

Small consistent gains are good. Hoping the progress continues!
That was a hell of an injury.