Das Auto: VW Chat

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

I take more issue with knock off cars as cars actually take a ton of development and design, manufacturing prowess, etc. Any China company could make fucking AirPods with zero issues and sell them profitably for 20% of the price. Good for Apple for winning at capitalism in that case, but I judge everyone who pays the $200.
max225
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

D Griff wrote: Mon Apr 13, 2020 11:14 am I take more issue with knock off cars as cars actually take a ton of development and design, manufacturing prowess, etc. Any China company could make fucking AirPods with zero issues and sell them profitably for 20% of the price. Good for Apple for winning at capitalism in that case, but I judge everyone who pays the $200.
Considering I work in the field I find issues with your sentiment and how you think the :math: works. There is no way to make a competitor to air pods for even 1/2 of their COGs, you will sacrifice something. Also any manufacturer makes about 1/2 of the retail price you pay ... at best
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

max225 wrote: Mon Apr 13, 2020 11:30 am
D Griff wrote: Mon Apr 13, 2020 11:14 am I take more issue with knock off cars as cars actually take a ton of development and design, manufacturing prowess, etc. Any China company could make fucking AirPods with zero issues and sell them profitably for 20% of the price. Good for Apple for winning at capitalism in that case, but I judge everyone who pays the $200.
Considering I work in the field I find issues with your sentiment and how you think the :math: works. There is no way to make a competitor to air pods for even 1/2 of their COGs, you will sacrifice something. Also any manufacturer makes about 1/2 of the retail price you pay ... at best
I work for a consumer electronics manufacturer as well. We don't make headphones, but I can tell you that speakers are one of the highest margin profits I know of. Also, there are hundreds of BT headphones available that do the same thing for 1/10 the price. Apple commands a premium which in some cases is justified, as things like the laptops and phones are quite nice, but these headphones just aren't adding up to me. I also have a degree in audio engineering and have been working in the audio business for 13 years.
max225

D Griff wrote: Mon Apr 13, 2020 11:53 am
max225 wrote: Mon Apr 13, 2020 11:30 am

I work for a consumer electronics manufacturer as well. We don't make headphones, but I can tell you that speakers are one of the highest margin profits I know of. Also, there are hundreds of BT headphones available that do the same thing for 1/10 the price. Apple commands a premium which in some cases is justified, as things like the laptops and phones are quite nice, but these headphones just aren't adding up to me. I also have a degree in audio engineering and have been working in the audio business for 13 years.
How much do you think a pair of air pods costs to manufacture and get to the US?
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

max225 wrote: Mon Apr 13, 2020 12:00 pm
D Griff wrote: Mon Apr 13, 2020 11:53 am

How much do you think a pair of air pods costs to manufacture and get to the US?
I would assume $10-20?
max225

D Griff wrote: Mon Apr 13, 2020 12:08 pm
max225 wrote: Mon Apr 13, 2020 12:00 pm

I would assume $10-20?
:lolgasm:
max225

Just FYI they are closer to $70. Lets just say you can "retail" them for $159 You still pay a retailer at least another 30% ... Apple has the biggest advantage over other due to the fact that they have their own stores.
razr390
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: MK7.5 on 87

The way Apple wins with AirPods is because they literally caused a switch in industry. Sure, be they as overpriced as you may assume they are, they made “wireless headphones” the industry norm by showing you can pack “decent” sound with good ergonomics in a portable design.

Can’t hate them for that.
:doughnut: :narc: :doughnut:
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:05 pm DFD. The forum where everybody makes the same choices and then tells anybody trying to join the club that they are the stupidest motherfucker to ever walk the earth.
Johnny_P
Drives: Blue short bus

razr390 wrote: Mon Apr 13, 2020 2:29 pm The way Apple wins with AirPods is because they literally caused a switch in industry. Sure, be they as overpriced as you may assume they are, they made “wireless headphones” the industry norm by showing you can pack “decent” sound with good ergonomics in a portable design.

They also removed the headphone jack, forcing the new norm.
Apex
Drives: Abominable

Johnny_P wrote: Mon Apr 13, 2020 3:10 pm
razr390 wrote: Mon Apr 13, 2020 2:29 pm The way Apple wins with AirPods is because they literally caused a switch in industry. Sure, be they as overpriced as you may assume they are, they made “wireless headphones” the industry norm by showing you can pack “decent” sound with good ergonomics in a portable design.

They also removed the headphone jack, forcing the new norm.
Plug in to lightning port.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

max225 wrote: Mon Apr 13, 2020 12:12 pm Just FYI they are closer to $70. Lets just say you can "retail" them for $159 You still pay a retailer at least another 30% ... Apple has the biggest advantage over other due to the fact that they have their own stores.
:mindblown:

What is it that's so expensive? I guess miniaturized electronics?

Truth be told I've never heard them, but I think expensive ear buds are kind of dumb in general. Get real headphones if you want to :troywax: , IMO. But different strokes, can't knock Apple for minting money on a product everyone inexplicably wants.
max225

D Griff wrote: Mon Apr 13, 2020 3:16 pm
max225 wrote: Mon Apr 13, 2020 12:12 pm Just FYI they are closer to $70. Lets just say you can "retail" them for $159 You still pay a retailer at least another 30% ... Apple has the biggest advantage over other due to the fact that they have their own stores.

Truth be told I've never heard them, but I think expensive ear buds are kind of dumb in general. Get real headphones if you want to :troywax: , IMO. But different strokes, can't knock Apple for minting money on a product everyone inexplicably wants.
It's not "expensive" per say it's just quality components cost money. At points you have pay 2x for 20% better performance etc. Doing something as good as apple doesn't come cheap.
razr390
Drives: MK7.5 on 87

I think it’s packing all of that into such a portable package. I don’t think anyone is saying that $200 AirPods are better than $200 over the eat headphones, however, there’s no denying that the AirPods are more seamless if you’re wearing them out in public, and generally easier to live with if you are commuting or whatnot.

I personally couldn’t get into wearing my over the ears in public, and I had two pairs of Beats Solo (pre- & post- Apple ownership) among others. They feel so cumbersome and they cancel too much noise for my preference.
:doughnut: :narc: :doughnut:
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:05 pm DFD. The forum where everybody makes the same choices and then tells anybody trying to join the club that they are the stupidest motherfucker to ever walk the earth.
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: An Okinowa Cruiseship
Location: 6 miles north of Sleepy Joes House & 5 miles from Bosphorus Channel

razr390 wrote: Mon Apr 13, 2020 3:30 pm

I think it’s packing all of that into such a portable package. I don’t think anyone is saying that $200 AirPods are better than $200 over the eat headphones, however, there’s no denying that the AirPods are more seamless if you’re wearing them out in public, and generally easier to live with if you are commuting or whatnot.

I personally couldn’t get into wearing my over the ears in public, and I had two pairs of Beats Solo (pre- & post- Apple ownership) among others. They feel so cumbersome and they cancel too much noise for my preference.
I recently got myself AirPods, and let me tell you, the sound output is actually better than beats power3 :hue: One thing I love about my beats over AirPods, it has 20 hour charge life, and no charging in between. I personally dig how after you charge AirPods with the case as it charges them, once you take them out it automatically turns on. But I do hate charging it every day if I go to gym, work at a coffee shop and whatnot, still doesn't take long to charge atleast 70 percent.
Nephew of a :plac: a few first gen immigrant on DFD, resident turk, and ex nazi egg lover now driving a middle class mom mobile.
Johnny_P
Drives: Blue short bus

2021 A3 sedan looking fresh

Those boxed out wheel fenders :datass: remind me of an OG WRX actually.
troyguitar
Drives: Trek Domane

I think the newest A3 and A4 both look great in real colors. A base A3 quattro with the sport package in like bright metallic whatever would be a sweet ride. Add some RS3 sway bars and light :ramz: for :stig: and enjoy. Then :tuna: for :plaid:
max225

A 1.8 powered A3 or a 2.0 powered one... The 1.8 seems to be a dog.
troyguitar

Isn't the 1.8 FWD not available here? I was thinking 2.0T AWD.
max225

troyguitar wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 4:12 pm Isn't the 1.8 FWD not available here? I was thinking 2.0T AWD.
The 1.8 FWD was certainly available earlier... when i was looking into these.
The 2.slow was actually a great little bugger, I wouldn't even tune it, it had plenty of power IMO for a car as such.

I don't understand why the tuners don't release a normal tune that basically adds say 30-40 WHP instead of 70-140 or whatever the :fullretard: numbers are. A a minimal power increase the reliability should remain and the car would be a lot more fun. Without some random catastrophic dolphin failure.
troyguitar

max225 wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 4:13 pm
troyguitar wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 4:12 pm Isn't the 1.8 FWD not available here? I was thinking 2.0T AWD.
The 2.slow was actually a great little bugger, I wouldn't even tune it, it had plenty of power IMO for a car as such.

I don't understand why the tuners don't release a normal tune that basically adds say 30-40 WHP instead of 70-140 or whatever the :fullretard: numbers are. A a minimal power increase the reliability should remain and the car would be a lot more fun. Without some random catastrophic dolphin failure.
APR has a "low torque" option at least for the GTI to help :manuel: bros on stock clutches.
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

troyguitar wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 4:34 pm

APR has a "low torque" option at least for the GTI to help :manuel: bros on stock clutches.
and even people still manage to slip it, probably couldn't concentrate since they ran out of vape juice. Also fuck APR.
Nephew of a :plac: a few first gen immigrant on DFD, resident turk, and ex nazi egg lover now driving a middle class mom mobile.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: C5

I think the Berger JB1 basically adds like 25-40whp. Plug and play too
max225

The downside is the gti now runs on regular so you’d gain the power but for some of you, the running costs would go up 30-60% which is just :fullretard: if you ask me
Wocka Wocka
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class
Drives: Nothing Good

max225 wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 10:25 pm The downside is the gti now runs on regular so you’d gain the power but for some of you, the running costs would go up 30-60% which is just :fullretard: if you ask me
I've never been so glad to not own something that runs on premium. The pricing is crazy. When I bought my GTI in 2011, it there was only like a 30 cent difference. Now, I can't recall the last time I saw anything less than 80 cents between 87 and 91 around me
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Wocka Wocka wrote: Sat Apr 25, 2020 7:11 am
max225 wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 10:25 pm The downside is the gti now runs on regular so you’d gain the power but for some of you, the running costs would go up 30-60% which is just :fullretard: if you ask me
I've never been so glad to not own something that runs on premium. The pricing is crazy. When I bought my GTI in 2011, it there was only like a 30 cent difference. Now, I can't recall the last time I saw anything less than 80 cents between 87 and 91 around me
You also from the dead forum too? What was your username?