Define :plac:

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.

What is plac ?

Changing a working vehicle for another or adding a vehicle you don’t need?
95%
Only if it happens to be gti to Charger to gti to Charger to charger to gti to wrx
5%

Total votes: 22
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

Melon wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2019 1:57 pm This is the most pedantic thing ever to be discussed on DFD.

I think it's swapping any vehicle, for any amount of money.
Lease = :plac: You're usually trading in something, spending money on something else.
Buy = :plac: This can be cars, houses, boats, wives, children, organs, Tv's anything.

:plac: = Image
I'm offended that regular consumer behavior is being associated with :plac:

:plac: used to mean :fullretard: as it should because the dude made zero sense.

Now, it's just watered down as :troywax: :waxer: , etc.

Make :plac: :fullretard: again 2020.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: All of them

Detroit wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2019 2:03 pm
Melon wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2019 1:57 pm This is the most pedantic thing ever to be discussed on DFD.

Lease = :plac: You're usually trading in something, spending money on something else.
Buy = :plac: This can be cars, houses, boats, wives, children, organs, Tv's anything.

:wrong:

Seek out Figure 3B on slide 57 of the DFD.ppt Rules and Placafication
Melon
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Blue things, Orange thing

I don't buy a car every two years :bruh:

:plac: is an organic term, that means what it means within the context it is used. To put such strict, and defined limits on it's use makes it less funny, less applicable, and less enjoyable overall.

:plac: away my DFD family.
:plac: the fuck on.
4zilch wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:46 am I'm a fucking failure.
ChrisoftheNorth

dubshow wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2019 2:06 pm

Seek out Figure 3B on slide 57 of the DFD.ppt Rules and Placafication
:notsure:
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
ChrisoftheNorth

Melon wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2019 2:06 pm I don't buy a car every two years :bruh:

:plac: is an organic term, that means what it means within the context it is used. To put such strict, and defined limits on it's use makes it less funny, less applicable, and less enjoyable overall.

:plac: away my DFD family.
:plac: the fuck on.
Melon
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Also, to me your purchases have been :fullretard: and have made zero fucking sense.

:dealwithit:

I give no fucks, and judge not, because you buy shit that makes you happy.
ChrisoftheNorth

Melon wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2019 2:09 pm Also, to me your purchases have been :fullretard: and have made zero fucking sense.

This is what it all boils down to IMO.
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: All of them

Melon wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2019 2:09 pm because you buy shit that makes you happy.

here at DFD, we ONLY BUY the worst things and proceed to explain/justify why they make us unhappy.
Melon
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Detroit wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2019 2:10 pm
Melon wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2019 2:09 pm Also, to me your purchases have been :fullretard: and have made zero fucking sense.

:dat:

I love the variety of purchases on here.
ChrisoftheNorth

Melon wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2019 2:11 pm
Detroit wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2019 2:10 pm

It's certainly diversity.
Melon
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Detroit wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2019 2:12 pm
Melon wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2019 2:11 pm

Lots of ways to be :wrong:
ChrisoftheNorth

Melon wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2019 2:13 pm
Detroit wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2019 2:12 pm
Lots of ways to be :wrong:
:lolol: :dat:
max225
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

MexicanYarisTK wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2019 2:00 pm
max225 wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2019 1:16 pm

:dat: I actually don't NEED A CAR. I literally wasted 25k, I could have easily permaborrowed my fiances TSX and driven it to 400/500k miles. As she takes the train to work and the car just sits anyways. But no... I had to have my own POS.
Even if I move to Manhattan, I'm still gonna have my own car, except it is most likely something NFG or anything Johnny P desires. When I grew up in the city, my parents had one car, mom took the subway and dad drove for only 2 miles. We still needed the car when we have to go somewhere on the weekends or anywhere in the city where public transport isn't accessible nor rush hour. Although some of my Istanbul friends who have no desire to get a license fail to understand why I like cars.
We'd still have 1 car... we don't need 2... 100% of the time 1 car is stationary. :fullretard:
max225

WHERE IS YOUR VOTE BRUH. You're complaining about Trump yet 100% voted for Trump :lol:
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain
Drives: straight past the apex

dubshow wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2019 1:44 pm
Big Brain Bradley wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2019 1:44 pm

Don't forget the boat
non-wheeled vehicle :doe:

:fancy: :dubshow:
It fits SAE's definition of an automobile
brain go brrrrrr
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

D Griff wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2019 12:25 pm
wap wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2019 11:55 am

That's a good point, too. Does the transaction have to make horrible financial sense to be considered a :plac: move? In other words, by this definition, anything :waxer: does is not :plac: because he can do it without ever causing him to being down to his last bag of peas.
I mean... I would argue that pretty much every car transaction anyone on here has made recently outside of maybe the :melon: :tits: Kia Soul makes no financial sense.

I bought a BMW when I could've just continued to daily the C5, costs me $400+/month in depreciation/insurance/maintenance.
Detroit bought two expensive :jeep: when he owned a paid for Volt.
Max bought Mini instead of Civic Sport.
[user not found]... don't need to explain this one.
Troy sold cool RX8 and lit $8K on fire for a Lincoln that he won't be able to sell for more than $4K when he :plac: in short order.
:wap: could've driven the Shaturn for near free- it had a new trans.

Most car purchases are :wasteful: but we do it because we enjoy cars/nice things.
You're right of course, but I didn't say it well. What I meant was not horrible financial sense, but ruinous financial sense. In other words, as you said, we've all made moves that were :wasteful: , but they didn't harm us financially; we could all afford our moves because we're not stupid, as opposed to :plac: , whose :plac: moves actually endangered his family's solvency, ability to feed itself, etc.
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
ChrisoftheNorth

max225 wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2019 2:27 pm

WHERE IS YOUR VOTE BRUH. You're complaining about Trump yet 100% voted for Trump :lol:
I don't agree with either choice, but voted against what I don't believe in.
max225

wap wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2019 2:45 pm
D Griff wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2019 12:25 pm

I mean... I would argue that pretty much every car transaction anyone on here has made recently outside of maybe the :melon: :tits: Kia Soul makes no financial sense.

I bought a BMW when I could've just continued to daily the C5, costs me $400+/month in depreciation/insurance/maintenance.
Detroit bought two expensive :jeep: when he owned a paid for Volt.
Max bought Mini instead of Civic Sport.
[user not found]... don't need to explain this one.
Troy sold cool RX8 and lit $8K on fire for a Lincoln that he won't be able to sell for more than $4K when he :plac: in short order.
:wap: could've driven the Shaturn for near free- it had a new trans.

Most car purchases are :wasteful: but we do it because we enjoy cars/nice things.
You're right of course, but I didn't say it well. What I meant was not horrible financial sense, but ruinous financial sense. In other words, as you said, we've all made moves that were :wasteful: , but they didn't harm us financially; we could all afford our moves because we're not stupid, as opposed to :plac: , whose :plac: moves actually endangered his family's solvency, ability to feed itself, etc.
IT depends on who you ask, I bet 9/10 moves on this forum look like a :fullretard: move to anyone outside of those sharing the :plac: gene... we're like an AA group that drinks at every meeting :thisisfine:
wap

Detroit wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2019 1:53 pm I still think leasing should be exempt...unless offing a lease before term.

So are vehicles owned for 10+ years facing costly repairs. At some point, dumping more money than a car's worth into it to keep it running is stupid.

wap

:disgust:
max225

Detroit wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2019 2:46 pm
max225 wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2019 2:27 pm

I don't agree with either choice, but voted against what I don't believe in.
:lolgasm: :wat: provide an acceptable definition please.
max225

Detroit wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2019 1:53 pm I still think leasing should be exempt...unless offing a lease before term.

So are vehicles owned for 10+ years facing costly repairs. At some point, dumping more money than a car's worth into it to keep it running is stupid.
I don't necessarily agree with this.

If a car is worth $1000 and you dump $1500 to keep it going for another year... You're still better off than leasing a new civic. Financially speaking. But yes you'll be a poor fuck in a shit car.... but it just depends on your priorities.
ChrisoftheNorth

max225 wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2019 2:51 pm

If a car is worth $1000 and you dump $1500 to keep it going for another year... You're still better off than leasing a new civic. Financially speaking. But yes you'll be a poor fuck in a shit car.... but it just depends on your priorities.
You are, if you have the $1,500 to blow on it. And that's assuming that's all that's wrong. Other engine components, suspension, interior stuff, etc are all prime to fail as a vehicle ages. If you depend on it, and keep dumping money into it when it's worthless, are you really gaining anything?

Many people in that situation do not even have the means to pay for repairs. A $1.5k transmission job might set them back a ways financially. While it goes against financial planning best practices, sometimes it makes sense for someone to lease a cheap Elantra or something so they have reliable transportation to get to and from their job, and hopefully prosper economically as a result. I'm not talking about :fullretad: $700/mo Gladiator leases, but a $150/mo cheapo econobox.

Missing a meeting because my car broke down again or the bus was late can have pretty negative impacts on someone's job prospects, not to mention their psychological health.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

Detroit wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2019 3:19 pm
max225 wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2019 2:51 pm

You are, if you have the $1,500 to blow on it. And that's assuming that's all that's wrong. Other engine components, suspension, interior stuff, etc are all prime to fail as a vehicle ages. If you depend on it, and keep dumping money into it when it's worthless, are you really gaining anything?

Many people in that situation do not even have the means to pay for repairs. A $1.5k transmission job might set them back a ways financially. While it goes against financial planning best practices, sometimes it makes sense for someone to lease a cheap Elantra or something so they have reliable transportation to get to and from their job, and hopefully prosper economically as a result. I'm not talking about :fullretad: $700/mo Gladiator leases, but a $150/mo cheapo econobox.

Missing a meeting because my car broke down again or the bus was late can have pretty negative impacts on someone's job prospects, not to mention their psychological health.
:dat: there is a lot of opportunity cost in owning an unreliable vehicle.

I think the cheapest ways to vehicle are either buy something used that depreciated like a rock but is still modern (my buddy just sold his 70K mile manual 2013 Focus hatch for $4800, this car will run another 170K no problem and be cheap as hell and reliable) and drive for 8-10 years, rinse repeat. Alternatively, for a little bit more, you can shop :scrooge: leases like Jetta, Elantra for sub $150/month.

But we all spend more and :plac: because we enjoy it, which is fine, we all also have jobs, income, money. It's no different than buying new clothes, going out to eat, you name it.
Apex
Drives: Abominable

I will say, DFD has been rather active today.