Car Talk 4: The Richard Hertz Rent-A-Car 500

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: C5

Huckleberry wrote: Thu Feb 28, 2019 10:47 am
CaleDeRoo wrote: Thu Feb 28, 2019 10:25 am

I have no real complaints about my 4L60. Almost 185k and still original. The G80 on the other hand.... But I also think you should chinese choo-choo boi and t56 your truck
God, I hate that term. One of many reasons I quit following Sloppy Mechanics.

The truck did come with an iron block Gen IV 5.3. Ideally, though, I'd like to throw a Maggie on it. Something about that supercharger whine that is just...lovely.
I've told myself that I would turbo my truck when it hits 250k miles, but I probably won't own it that long. I am tempted to swap an iron block into my truck and sell my engine separately. :evilplan: :hue:
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: An Okinowa Cruiseship
Location: 6 miles north of Sleepy Joes House & 5 miles from Bosphorus Channel

Desertbreh wrote: Thu Feb 28, 2019 12:16 pm
[user not found] wrote: Thu Feb 28, 2019 8:06 am

:wrong:

I think that those cast towers are a yuuuge oversight.

And one guy even had his fail on the track. Cast aluminum is not a material I’d trust in that location without any significant structural support.
GT3, 1200 miles, $245K, Strut tower reinforcement already done. Turnkey.
weight reduction bro!!
Nephew of a :plac: a few first gen immigrant on DFD, resident turk, and ex nazi egg lover now driving a middle class mom mobile.
Huckleberry
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Drives: 2004 GTO

CaleDeRoo wrote: Thu Feb 28, 2019 12:21 pm
Huckleberry wrote: Thu Feb 28, 2019 10:47 am

God, I hate that term. One of many reasons I quit following Sloppy Mechanics.

The truck did come with an iron block Gen IV 5.3. Ideally, though, I'd like to throw a Maggie on it. Something about that supercharger whine that is just...lovely.
I've told myself that I would turbo my truck when it hits 250k miles, but I probably won't own it that long. I am tempted to swap an iron block into my truck and sell my engine separately. :evilplan: :hue:
It's what everyone else does. Hell, even people buying used Corvettes, GTOs, etc. are discovering that their LS1/LS2 has been swapped out for a 4.8/5.3. Now that is a dick move.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Huckleberry wrote: Thu Feb 28, 2019 12:41 pm

It's what everyone else does. Hell, even people buying used Corvettes, GTOs, etc. are discovering that their LS1/LS2 has been swapped out for a 4.8/5.3. Now that is a dick move.
Yeah I would at least replace my 5.3 with another 5.3
Johnny_P
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue short bus

CaleDeRoo wrote: Thu Feb 28, 2019 12:19 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 28, 2019 10:29 am

:wat: is :wrong: with the G80?
This guy described it well

"The main complaint I always see is that you have to spin a wheel before it engages, and it then engages with a hard cluck and sudden application of power to the side with traction (since both sides now are getting torque) and now you can't modulate the throttle over mixed terrain because every time you let off the throttle, it unlocks again, meaning you'll be slipping a tire before it suddenly engages hard again. Maybe that doesn't matter in mud and snow or something but I know out here where rocks and boulders are common and you're trying to crawl over things slowly, on and off the power at slow speed, the G80 doesn't seem to work in that. The fact that they only lock up once you're already under torque also seems to break them more easily due to the sudden engagement."

All of this is true
:neat:
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

I mean, you'd have to be pretty :fullretard: to not realize that at time of purchase... Plus, it seems like a ton of work to maybe net like $2k tops?
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

Well, if you blow up the original LS1/2 and just want to off the car, swapping in a 4.8/5.3 is the cheapest route to go.

Dick move for sure, but a thing that could be easily pulled off.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
Swedish Chef
Meat Patty 2nd Class
Meat Patty 2nd Class
Drives: 2013 Mini Pooper

CorvetteWaxer wrote: Thu Feb 28, 2019 8:17 am

And one guy even had his fail on the track. Cast aluminum is not a material I’d trust in that location without any significant structural support.
Well, you guys live in Iraq, or at least you imported your road repair staff from there. You should only be driving steel wheeled 4X4 trucks or APCs.

Daily driver suitable for Philly/NY/NJ:

Also fixes your absolutely retarded street parking issues.
Never thought I’d drive a Finnish vehicle but dat Patria AMV, doe.

:truckyeah:
Detroit wrote: Thu Feb 28, 2019 12:51 pm Well, if you blow up the original LS1/2 and just want to off the car, swapping in a 4.8/5.3 is the cheapest route to go.

A certain YouTuber bought a C6 unseen from an auction that turned out to have a 5.3.
It should go along well with the brub tub’s suspension design.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

Swedish Chef wrote: Thu Feb 28, 2019 1:38 pm

Well, you guys live in Iraq, or at least you imported your road repair staff from there. You should only be driving steel wheeled 4X4 trucks or APCs.

Detroit wrote: Thu Feb 28, 2019 12:51 pm Well, if you blow up the original LS1/2 and just want to off the car, swapping in a 4.8/5.3 is the cheapest route to go.

A certain YouTuber bought a C6 unseen from an auction that turned out to have a 5.3.
Cleetus is pretty much the only youtuber I watch. The auction Corvette is :lolol: Love that they keep blowing engines and just picking up new ones at the junkyard.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
Swedish Chef
Meat Patty 2nd Class
Meat Patty 2nd Class
Drives: 2013 Mini Pooper

Detroit wrote: Thu Feb 28, 2019 1:40 pm
Swedish Chef wrote: Thu Feb 28, 2019 1:38 pm

Cleetus is pretty much the only youtuber I watch. The auction Corvette is :lolol: Love that they keep blowing engines and just picking up new ones at the junkyard.
I rarely watch YT but yes, same here :lolol:

Will try watch the latest episode tonight.
Davestr
Drives: 17 M2 14 M235

Swedish Chef wrote: Wed Feb 27, 2019 5:28 pm It’s safe to say that there are hundreds of Ferraris and other track oriented cars out there being driven in the same manner as these affected Porsche GT cars, but with no documented damages like those shown above.

You may argue that these cars aren’t made for shit roads but they didn’t all fail due to potholes.
You are right.....but here......yeah.....your even just more :wrong: with that sound and eloquent logic.....

Chin up mate :)
Huckleberry
Drives: 2004 GTO

D Griff wrote: Thu Feb 28, 2019 12:48 pm

I mean, you'd have to be pretty :fullretard: to not realize that at time of purchase... Plus, it seems like a ton of work to maybe net like $2k tops?
It depends. An iron block would be a dead give away to anyone who remotely knows anything about the Gen III/Gen IV engines. However, if someone swapped in an aluminum block, it wouldn't be as easily detected, especially if you have no basis for how that vehicle with the proper engine is supposed to feel. Externally, they are all the same size. Head stampings would give you some indication if you see 862s or 241s where 243s should be, but again, you have to know what you are looking at.

As for the work, people have done more work for less cash. But you can pick up high mileage iron 5.3s all day for $300-$500. An LS1 or LS2 longblock will bring $3-$4K. Especially an aluminum 6.0. Those are the cream of the crop right now. The LS1 might be closer to $2500-$3000. Either way, you're looking at selling the car plus the profit of selling the yanked engine separately. Shitheads will be shitheads.

The other side of that is, as mentioned before, the people who blow the engine, don't have the funds to fix it, and want to just get it running cheaply to offload it. Understandable, and not as shitty so long as it is disclosed.
Davestr

Yo I can see the logic here and its deep. But is that fkr a manual or not. That is the fkn issue overall no???

:trollface: :lolol:
Davestr

https://jalopnik.com/you-have-one-day-t ... 1832939768 -- You Have One Day to Get $1,500 Off of a Fiat 124 Spider Just for Choosing a Manual Transmission
Davestr

[user not found] wrote: Thu Feb 28, 2019 2:41 pm
Davestr wrote: Thu Feb 28, 2019 2:36 pm https://jalopnik.com/you-have-one-day-t ... 1832939768 -- You Have One Day to Get $1,500 Off of a Fiat 124 Spider Just for Choosing a Manual Transmission
Bippity boostity!
LOL! :like:
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Regular e10 87 - $2.45

Ethanol free 90 - $3.10

:disgust:
max225
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

Someone new in the office :jizz:

“My roads are worse than yours” competition... this is easily 9” deep (that’s what she said) going though it at full speed would have popped my wheel.

Constantly have to be careful out here.

This amount of gravel/ex pavement is just everywhere out here....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: An Okinowa Cruiseship
Location: 6 miles north of Sleepy Joes House & 5 miles from Bosphorus Channel

max225 wrote: Thu Feb 28, 2019 4:08 pm Image

Someone new in the office :jizz:

“My roads are worse than yours” competition... this is easily 9” deep (that’s what she said) going though it at full speed would have popped my wheel.

Constantly have to be careful out here.

This amount of gravel/ex pavement is just everywhere out here....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
:howdareu: not pointing out the model 3

One of the on ramps just felt like an auto x course after a semi snow storm last week, it's :mindblown:
Nephew of a :plac: a few first gen immigrant on DFD, resident turk, and ex nazi egg lover now driving a middle class mom mobile.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

I would love to drive a 4C, curious how they would compare to the Elise I drove. It seems like they'd be significantly less anus shattering but almost as fun.
max225

I do actually. i want to see some of your guys' Baghdad streets. Unfortunately I can't take a lot of pics from the shit that really fucks up the car... city/freeway holes as they would present a danger to me (I'd have to pull over to do it)
troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Trek Domane

max225 wrote:I do actually. i want to see some of your guys' Baghdad streets. Unfortunately I can't take a lot of pics from the shit that really fucks up the car... city/freeway holes as they would present a danger to me (I'd have to pull over to do it)
The holes here are often unavoidable due to being invisible in the snow.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

max225 wrote: Thu Feb 28, 2019 4:29 pm I do actually. i want to see some of your guys' Baghdad streets. Unfortunately I can't take a lot of pics from the shit that really fucks up the car... city/freeway holes as they would present a danger to me (I'd have to pull over to do it)
Our roads are fairly OK but I will start trying to get some pics.
max225

Looks about normal to me. See this on the daily as well. Also :disgust: gravel as well for you guys
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Ford Party ST

As the only published author in a well-known motorcycle publication in the room...
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Ford Party ST

As the only published author in a well-known motorcycle publication in the room...