OT 15: New Year, New Poo

Off-topic? You mean on-topic!
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: 1986 Hyundai Excel, 351C swap

wap wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 10:41 pm
CorvetteWaxer wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 10:37 pm

Yep, and I agree with your score. It was just missing something from being 5/7 and it wasn't Gaga... And to be clear, I am not a fan, but she was pretty damned good in it.
Completely agree. I'm not a fan of hers but this movie almost makes me into one because she was pretty fantastic. She should drop the stupid make up and costumes and just be herself when she sings and performs because she's pretty great and talented and good looking as her real self.

To your other point, I'm trying to put my finger on what kept the movie from being 5/7. And I keep coming back to Cooper but I can't decide if it's him, his character, or his directing, or some weak plot points. :iono:
I'm leaning towards the ending. Not going to spoil it for anyone, but it was kinda..... Cheap?
wap
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue Meanie

CorvetteWaxer wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 11:04 pm
wap wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 10:41 pm

Completely agree. I'm not a fan of hers but this movie almost makes me into one because she was pretty fantastic. She should drop the stupid make up and costumes and just be herself when she sings and performs because she's pretty great and talented and good looking as her real self.

To your other point, I'm trying to put my finger on what kept the movie from being 5/7. And I keep coming back to Cooper but I can't decide if it's him, his character, or his directing, or some weak plot points. :iono:
I'm leaning towards the ending. Not going to spoil it for anyone, but it was kinda..... Cheap?
Yep. Cheap, cliche'd, underwhelming, cop out. Take your pick.
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
razr390
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: MK7.5 on 87

:hai:
:doughnut: :narc: :doughnut:
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:05 pm DFD. The forum where everybody makes the same choices and then tells anybody trying to join the club that they are the stupidest motherfucker to ever walk the earth.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain
Drives: straight past the apex

Desertbreh wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 5:23 pm
SAWCE wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 5:15 pm

Never been. Probably never will. Oh well :iono:
I'm being facetious, but also I don't really know either, having never been there myself. But you can't mention Nashville or any other part of Tennessee on this site without 8 other DFDers piling on with a :word: , :dat: :fuckyeah: :neat: :amaze: etc.
idk man, its just a common theme, we all come from liking car and twisty rodas, its a meca for that.

Some people beach. some people desert. some people mountain. some people forest. some people city. You do you boo.
brain go brrrrrr
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

[user not found] wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 8:32 pm
Big Brain Bradley wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 1:19 pm watching this video on the tubes is reinforcing the idea that buying a house was the worst fucking thing i ever did
I'm sure this is based on economic fact.
yea. I could have lived simply in a 6-700 a month rental vs a house and banked mad cash for two years or more, and been in a better position to buy a house later in life while not feeling tied to a jerb and a mortgage. :rolleyes:
brain go brrrrrr
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

Johnny_P wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 7:42 pm :drunk: tomorrow is gonna suuuuuuuuuuuuuck
aren't you about to :nope: ?

just :aintcare: brah
brain go brrrrrr
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

SAWCE wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 8:00 pm Raining here today, so no park for the dogs, just a walk.

Off day from the gym, so I'll swing by my old place and pack up a few more boxes. Pretty much empty at this point, but need to bring my record console and all my records, record player, and receiver over plus my old bed for the spare room.

Can't wait to watch Johnny sleep in it. Wait, what?
wait i thought your lease was up?
brain go brrrrrr
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: All of them

Desertbreh wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 5:42 pm
wap wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 5:39 pm

:dat: :(
There is nothing sad about the departure of Caspian.
I think that may have been the first out right ban.
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 9:18 am

yea. I could have lived simply in a 6-700 a month rental vs a house and banked mad cash for two years or more, and been in a better position to buy a house later in life while not feeling tied to a jerb and a mortgage. :rolleyes:
:fancy:
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

wap wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 9:15 pm
[user not found] wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 8:31 pm

I love the Diceman. I had no idea he was in it.
I didn't know, either. They had a nice relationship in the movie, which was nice to see. He was really good in his role. I was impressed.
Dice is hilarious.
brain go brrrrrr
Johnny_P
Drives: Blue short bus

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 9:34 am
Johnny_P wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 7:42 pm :drunk: tomorrow is gonna suuuuuuuuuuuuuck

Curiously I am not hung over. :impressive:
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Ford Party ST

I like having a fenced in yard and a garage. For current life style situation (dogs, multiple cars, motorcycles, tools, trailer, etc, etc, etc) a house just makes sense. I prefer to live now than worry and hope I'm still able to do the things that make me happy down the road.
As the only published author in a well-known motorcycle publication in the room...
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 9:40 am

must have been good clean booze.
brain go brrrrrr
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

4zilch wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 9:40 am

I like having a fenced in yard and a garage. For current life style situation (dogs, multiple cars, motorcycles, tools, trailer, etc, etc, etc) a house just makes sense. I prefer to live now than worry and hope I'm still able to do the things that make me happy down the road.
I mostly agree with that, but im not talking about now or even 5 years post grad.
I bought a house right out of college, still wet behind the ears. It would have served me well on multiple fronts to pump the brakes on the house thing right out of school. I was also 28 when i graduated college so i was already behind the 8 ball.

Look at olde :wastful: hes got from what i cant tell a couple hundred k saved because he pumped the brakes on the house thing...several times.
brain go brrrrrr
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 9:40 am

im a hair fuzzy. We went to a local micro brew for trivia night. Twas LOTR. We where shown up by some younger people (26/27) that was some massively impressive nerds. We took a close second place and got a $20 gift card along with a free pint for best team name. Only 2 points behind them but they were most :impressive: with knowledge.

"The White Wizards of the Shire"
Johnny_P

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 9:49 am

I mostly agree with that, but im not talking about now or even 5 years post grad.
I bought a house right out of college, still wet behind the ears. It would have served me well on multiple fronts to pump the brakes on the house thing right out of school. I was also 28 when i graduated college so i was already behind the 8 ball.

Look at olde :wastful: hes got from what i cant tell a couple hundred k saved because he pumped the brakes on the house thing...several times.
:dat: dem cold feet on spending any money on anything at all. Not a good thing in all cases, though.
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

https://www.businessinsider.com/happine ... rch-2013-4
But constant comparison only makes us feel like failures: No matter what, there will always be someone who's at least one step ahead us; and the perfect job, spouse, salary, etc., will always remain elusive.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 9:51 am

:dat: dem cold feet on spending any money on anything at all. Not a good thing in all cases, though.
yea, as they say hindsight is 20/20.
brain go brrrrrr
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

jeebuskrist. Find some happy medium or balance people.

fuckin doom train in here.
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 9:57 am

cant change shit. its in the past. :eeyore:
57% of students enrolled in college are not done after six years. Of that 57%, 33% of them drop out entirely. The remaining 24% stay enrolled in school, either full- or part-time.
only about 10% of all engineers with at least a 4 year engineering degree are PEs
Current Student Loan Debt in the United States. Student Loans : $1,659,640,117,304.80. Credit Cards: $882,600,000,000.00.
Johnny_P

dubshow wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 10:01 am
Big Brain Bradley wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 9:57 am

cant change shit. its in the past. :eeyore:
57% of students enrolled in college are not done after six years. Of that 57%, 33% of them drop out entirely. The remaining 24% stay enrolled in school, either full- or part-time.
only about 10% of all engineers with at least a 4 year engineering degree are PEs
Current Student Loan Debt in the United States. Student Loans : $1,659,640,117,304.80. Credit Cards: $882,600,000,000.00.
First day of college at Drexel. Mechanical Engineering. Saw a guy I went to high school with, he was a total dope, poor grades, not very smart. He was in same major as me. He dropped out after 2 semesters. Too bad, he was a nice guy, just racked up an assload of student debt for literally nothing.

And then everyone going back for advanced degrees. I guess that pays off in medical and legal fields. Unlikely to pay in other fields.
Johnny_P

dubshow wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 9:58 am

I don't know how to do this. Been getting better at it though.
Johnny_P

dubshow wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 9:56 am

https://www.businessinsider.com/happine ... rch-2013-4
But constant comparison only makes us feel like failures: No matter what, there will always be someone who's at least one step ahead us; and the perfect job, spouse, salary, etc., will always remain elusive.
I am not someone to model life after. I have been depressed for literally 2 years as a result of the situations I've put myself into.
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Ford Party ST

I bought a house 3 years post grad and with dick in a savings account. I wanted to be closer to work and monthly expenses ( :wrong: ) balanced out between living in an apartment an hour from work vs living 15 minutes in a house. In essence I earned more personal time, more space, a yard, a garage for the same expense (roughly).

Am I the best at saving? Absolutely not, but I'm also not bad at it either. I have a different mind set that a lot of people here - I prefer to enjoy life while I'm still young and flexible, I'll make adjustments when I start getting brittle. Sure $100k in the bank sounds nice, but not at the expense of living years of life in misery and boredom.

I'm not a huge believer in rentals being the end-all-be-all. For me I prefer the stability of a house, and not arguing with a landlord about parking, some broken shit, raising rent, etc. on top of the potential of moving every year or two because shit's gotten to expensive.

Fuck. All. That. Noise.
Last edited by 4zilch on Thu Feb 14, 2019 10:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
As the only published author in a well-known motorcycle publication in the room...
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 10:10 am
dubshow wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 9:58 am

I don't know how to do this. Been getting better at it though.
work towards it every day. its all you can do.