Johnny's Great Adventure

Share the juicy deets of your worldly travels, and discuss your pipedreams for future trips.
Johnny_P
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue short bus

dubshow wrote: Thu Jan 31, 2019 11:55 am The answer is this

https://gearjunkie.com/custom-pop-up-camper-build

we all know this.
Yeah pickup campers are pretty neat. Have the same issues RTTs do, but at least their spaces are more usable.
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: All of them

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Thu Jan 31, 2019 8:36 am
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Jan 31, 2019 8:17 am

So another fun thing to consider that I haven't shared with the forum... Lisa is pretty done with her position. She's had enough, and she wants out. She's developing an exit strategy with her coaches (she has these coach people from an org called REDF that help her as an executive director), and she's not opposed to moving if it comes to that.

I think we're both growing tired of the city. There are aspects we love about it for sure, but we don't take advantage of the city like we used to.
Take the opportunity on your tip to see how you like different places, look at industry in the area, housing cost, etc. Gulf coast has lots of advantages, as does tehas.
:dat:

he also hates us. And by us I mean you. So he wont come visit swamp-landia.
Melon
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Blue things, Orange thing

Louisiana;
Biggest selling point, it's January and it's in the 60's
Worst selling point, it's August and your face is melting.
4zilch wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:46 am I'm a fucking failure.
Apex
Drives: Abominable

Melon wrote: Thu Jan 31, 2019 1:35 pm Louisiana;
Plus my current Ridgeback came from Louisiana. :wub:
Melon
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Blue things, Orange thing

Apex wrote: Thu Jan 31, 2019 1:39 pm
Melon wrote: Thu Jan 31, 2019 1:35 pm Louisiana;
Plus my current Ridgeback came from Louisiana. :wub:
Ridged for your pleasure.
4zilch wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:46 am I'm a fucking failure.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

Problem with all these pickup campers is the cost. They're easily $10k on top of the truck. That's a tough sell IMO.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
Apex
Drives: Abominable

Detroit wrote: Thu Jan 31, 2019 1:57 pm Problem with all these pickup campers is the cost. They're easily $10k on top of the truck. That's a tough sell IMO.
I looked at the pickup campers at some RV shows and holy hell, they are more like $30k.
Johnny_P

Detroit wrote: Thu Jan 31, 2019 1:57 pm Problem with all these pickup campers is the cost. They're easily $10k on top of the truck. That's a tough sell IMO.
Finding one too. Palominos are easy to come by but.... uh....

Goddamn let's go offroading :jimp:
Johnny_P

[user not found] wrote: Thu Jan 31, 2019 2:04 pm

So another fun thing to consider that I haven't shared with the forum... Lisa is pretty done with her position. She's had enough, and she wants out. She's developing an exit strategy with her coaches (she has these coach people from an org called REDF that help her as an executive director), and she's not opposed to moving if it comes to that.

I think we're both growing tired of the city. There are aspects we love about it for sure, but we don't take advantage of the city like we used to.
Dude, this is huge and leave you open to ANYTHING.

:jelly:
This is a new development. Want kids. She may want to be a stay at home momma. :notbad: But I would have to make decent salary for that. Or just live in bumfuck Kentucky working as an engineer somewhere.
ChrisoftheNorth

Buy dis:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/2011-Chevrolet ... :0&vxp=mtr

Do the 2" dis:
http://boulderoffroadvans.com/chevy-gmc ... -lift-kits

Some Wildpeak ATs and done.

Apparently, you can even convert these to real 4x4 just by changing the transfer case.

https://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/ ... ion.52911/
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
ChrisoftheNorth

Johnny_P wrote: Thu Jan 31, 2019 2:09 pm

This is a new development. Want kids. She may want to be a stay at home momma. :notbad: But I would have to make decent salary for that. Or just live in bumfuck Kentucky working as an engineer somewhere.
This is really a :notbad: lyfe IMO.
ChrisoftheNorth

Johnny_P wrote: Thu Jan 31, 2019 2:08 pm
Finding one too. Palominos are easy to come by but.... uh....

Goddamn let's go offroading :jimp:
That's what...$60k all in?
ChrisoftheNorth

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2004-Chevrolet ... :0&vxp=mtr

Lift it and done. Holy hell that would be awesome.
Johnny_P

Apex wrote: Thu Jan 31, 2019 2:02 pm
I looked at the pickup campers at some RV shows and holy hell, they are more like $30k.
Hard shell roof top tent camper thingy would be total :jimp:

All super long leads and expensive, $10k for the shell, sides (without windows of course), tent top thing, and mattress. No interior storage, no lighting inside, no bed cabinet things, no cooking or water provisions, just the shell.

Four Wheel Campers make a cool pop top.

https://fourwh.com/product/fleet-popup- ... ni-tacoma/

But they're $19k.
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: All of them

like 2 chicks at the same time.

:mindblown:
ChrisoftheNorth

Johnny_P wrote: Thu Jan 31, 2019 2:16 pm
Apex wrote: Thu Jan 31, 2019 2:02 pm

Hard shell roof top tent camper thingy would be total :jimp:

All super long leads and expensive, $10k for the shell, sides (without windows of course), tent top thing, and mattress. No interior storage, no lighting inside, no bed cabinet things, no cooking or water provisions, just the shell.

Four Wheel Campers make a cool pop top.

https://fourwh.com/product/fleet-popup- ... ni-tacoma/

But they're $19k.
That's the problem. All this stuff is way too expensive.
Desertbreh
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Command Chief Master Sirloin

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Thu Jan 31, 2019 8:13 am

Like I said, feel free to stay down here a bit and maybe you can look. You can make similar money with wayyyyyy lower cost of living. #airboats

Jerbs are super in demand too.

Perfect. Meet her in Nashville when you are done. You guys may be working at a 7-11, but it won't matter because of the pure nirvana that is the state of Tennessee.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
ChrisoftheNorth

Desertbreh wrote: Thu Jan 31, 2019 2:20 pm

Perfect. Meet her in Nashville when you are done. You guys may be working at a 7-11, but it won't matter because of the pure nirvana that is the state of Tennessee.
:dat:
Johnny_P

Detroit wrote: Thu Jan 31, 2019 2:10 pm Buy dis:

Do the 2" dis:

Apparently, you can even convert these to real 4x4 just by changing the transfer case.

Yeah, AWD Chevy vans can be found. Would be rather easy to build this out I think. Just a question of how extreme do you get with this trip. Could be hard to resell it. I'm not very skilled with woodworking so it would look rough inside. But this could be cheaply insulated, build a little bed/storage/couch thing, storage shelf thing for cooking/sink setup. Do it all out of plywood and bolt it to the van walls.
ChrisoftheNorth

[user not found] wrote: Thu Jan 31, 2019 2:24 pm Look at all this waste:

:wtf:
ChrisoftheNorth

Johnny_P wrote: Thu Jan 31, 2019 2:23 pm
Detroit wrote: Thu Jan 31, 2019 2:10 pm Buy dis:

Do the 2" dis:

Yeah, AWD Chevy vans can be found. Would be rather easy to build this out I think. Just a question of how extreme do you get with this trip. Could be hard to resell it. I'm not very skilled with woodworking so it would look rough inside. But this could be cheaply insulated, build a little bed/storage/couch thing, storage shelf thing for cooking/sink setup. Do it all out of plywood and bolt it to the van walls.
I really think this is your best option dude. Really easy to build up and insulate, great for storage (could even add a roof rack for stuff you don't mind getting wet), should fit in most places you want to go, and the AWD should be enough to get you around. I'd seriously do a small lift and some nobby tires :doe:

Who cares if it's rough, as long as it fits what you need. You're not looking to win any Instagram contests are you?

I think there's always a market for these vans...especially if you pick one up for ~$10k.
Johnny_P

[user not found] wrote: Thu Jan 31, 2019 2:18 pm Johnny, you've gotta find a flippac or RTT setup for sail, with the truck as well.
RTTs are availble for quick delivery. A friend has this one and likes it:
https://www.ikamper.com/collections/sky ... r-2-people#

I mean... throw that on a 4runner it's no different than those $10k pickup shell tent things I posted because you're not getting a kitchen or storage setup with either of them, so...
Johnny_P

[user not found] wrote: Thu Jan 31, 2019 2:24 pm Look at all this waste:

Where the F is the spice rack? Glaring omission.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

Desertbreh wrote: Thu Jan 31, 2019 2:20 pm

:iono: why everyone on the forum is so bent on TN.

NC has bigger mountains, has a coast, lower CoL than Nashville, better weather :iono:

Nashville is great though, admittedly. I suspect that many here love TN because it's one of the few places they've actually been.
ChrisoftheNorth

Johnny_P wrote: Thu Jan 31, 2019 2:30 pm
[user not found] wrote: Thu Jan 31, 2019 2:18 pm Johnny, you've gotta find a flippac or RTT setup for sail, with the truck as well.
RTTs are availble for quick delivery. A friend has this one and likes it:
https://www.ikamper.com/collections/sky ... r-2-people#

I mean... throw that on a 4runner it's no different than those $10k pickup shell tent things I posted because you're not getting a kitchen or storage setup with either of them, so...
So, if you want to pull over for the night for a quick ZZz in a Wally world parking lot or something, you pitch the RTT and climb up? The inside of the SUV will be crammed with gear probably, tough to carve out a sleeping area.

I just don't see the RTT appeal. Just bring your tent along to pitch when you want to sleep in a tent. Then you can setup camp and go exploring...MTB or whatever.

Van is the answer.