Car talk tré: Carpocalypse Now!

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
Desertbreh
Command Chief Master Sirloin

D Griff wrote: Wed Dec 19, 2018 5:49 pm
wap wrote: Wed Dec 19, 2018 4:53 pm
Is there an untold part of this story? :D
We were going home from a sportsball game - the train was absolutely packed and everyone was very rambunctious. I was talking (probably loudly) to the people around me and joking around. Nothing at all aggressive or anything, I'm more the "I love everyone" type of :drunk: than the fight starting type of :drunk: . It was weird man.
People with jobs and assets should not hit other people. It doesn't pencil.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
dtraill27
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer
Drives: 17 Mazda 6

max225 wrote: Wed Dec 19, 2018 5:27 pm
wap wrote: Wed Dec 19, 2018 5:25 pm
Yea I had the same thoughts.
157k Fusions? :wtf:
387k combined Altimas and Sentras?? :gag:
Why would anyone in their right mind buy a Fusion in today's world? !
Did they count fleet sales? I hope
dtraill27
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer
Drives: 17 Mazda 6

troyguitar wrote: Wed Dec 19, 2018 6:09 pm

Elantra Sport :manuel: at $18k vs the $26xxx MSRP had me almost drive straight out to the :dillerman: before Thanksgiving. Fusion for anywhere near MSRP is a :nope: :doe:

I probably should have done it.
That was going to be my choice if I didnt go used
max225
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

dtraill27 wrote: Wed Dec 19, 2018 7:40 pm

Did they count fleet sales? I hope
A sale is a sale. Whether it goes to :mahtroy: or Dollar Rent a shit.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

troyguitar wrote:
max225 wrote: Wed Dec 19, 2018 5:27 pm Why would anyone in their right mind buy a Fusion in today's world? !
Elantra Sport :manuel: at $18k vs the $26xxx MSRP had me almost drive straight out to the :dillerman: before Thanksgiving. Fusion for anywhere near MSRP is a :nope: :doe:

I wonder if they're discounting the Lobsters yet... That thing was pretty sweet other than my feet not fitting right.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

Desertbreh wrote:
D Griff wrote: Wed Dec 19, 2018 5:49 pm We were going home from a sportsball game - the train was absolutely packed and everyone was very rambunctious. I was talking (probably loudly) to the people around me and joking around. Nothing at all aggressive or anything, I'm more the "I love everyone" type of :drunk: than the fight starting type of :drunk: . It was weird man.
:dat:

It was just shocking to have someone come at me and be like "shut the fuck up, you're a fucking asshole" for no reason and was quite infuriating in my :drunk: mind. Glad my friend was there to help play it cool.
troyguitar
Drives: Trek Domane

D Griff wrote:
troyguitar wrote: Elantra Sport :manuel: at $18k vs the $26xxx MSRP had me almost drive straight out to the :dillerman: before Thanksgiving. Fusion for anywhere near MSRP is a :nope: :doe:

I wonder if they're discounting the Lobsters yet... That thing was pretty sweet other than my feet not fitting right.
Dunno, I haven't looked in awhile. The Elantras that I liked were leftover 2018 models - the 2019 is way uglier. I kind of want the luxury features from the $26k MSRP models now that I know that I won't have a garage. Heated seats and dual zone AC for winter and summer would be nice.
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

Desertbreh wrote: Wed Dec 19, 2018 6:39 pm

We were going home from a sportsball game - the train was absolutely packed and everyone was very rambunctious. I was talking (probably loudly) to the people around me and joking around. Nothing at all aggressive or anything, I'm more the "I love everyone" type of :drunk: than the fight starting type of :drunk: . It was weird man.
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
max225

Snowflake mindset. Pathetic
Davestr
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Drives: 17 M2 14 M235

max225 wrote: Wed Dec 19, 2018 4:23 pm
Davestr wrote: Wed Dec 19, 2018 3:06 pm

In other places around the world you would not feel like this and Im sure you know that. Its sad that in the US in great cities this happens.
In some you do in others you don't. Most of Europe isn't that great anymore... certainly with its own pockets of :disgust: crap. Asia however is different. In particular Japan.
12+ years now Europe. Zero issues. Certainly never in Asia.
Davestr

Self-centered, all about me ego, is tough to control, just after payday!!
Davestr

Firefighter battling Tesla Model S blaze: ‘We’re gonna be here all night’

Driver says he’ll never buy another Tesla - Car was only 3 months old. How about focusing on the cars and not tunnels to no where in LA Elon lol.

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/firef ... op_stories
Davestr

More arrivals/competition in E - Car land.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles ... ium-europe

Tesla’s Latest Rival Looks a Lot Like Its German Alter Ego
Ambitious startup is ramping up production of a cheap electric car for the masses.

Tesla Inc.’s latest German rival is a fast-moving startup with global ambitions, no combustion-car baggage and a lofty valuation. And its hard-charging founder aims to challenge Elon Musk’s company with a bargain electric car for the masses.

Set up by an engineering professor with a track record of successfully developing and selling electric vehicles, e.GO Mobile AG is ramping up production of a battery-powered compact that will cost about half as much as the Tesla Model 3. But unlike the California pioneer, the German manufacturer expects to generate cash out of the gate.
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

Davestr wrote: Thu Dec 20, 2018 12:03 am
max225 wrote: Wed Dec 19, 2018 4:23 pm

In some you do in others you don't. Most of Europe isn't that great anymore... certainly with its own pockets of :disgust: crap. Asia however is different. In particular Japan.
27 trips to 20 different European countries so far and I've not had any :disgust: issues other than the occasional Gypsy accordion player looking for a handout. Mrs and I have certainly never felt afraid or unsafe.
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
max225

wap wrote: Thu Dec 20, 2018 1:00 pm

27 trips to 20 different European countries so far and I've not had any :disgust: issues other than the occasional Gypsy accordion player looking for a handout. Mrs and I have certainly never felt afraid or unsafe.
You ever been to Piza after dark? Ever Been to Christiania in Copenahgen? it is very hard to generalize in such a matter. A lot of european places are nice and a lot are pretty shitty... overall big cities harbor both in most places outside of Japan.
Davestr

max225 wrote: Thu Dec 20, 2018 1:23 pm

You ever been to Piza after dark? Ever Been to Christiania in Copenahgen? it is very hard to generalize in such a matter. A lot of european places are nice and a lot are pretty shitty... overall big cities harbor both in most places outside of Japan.
You generalize quite well earlier - 'Most of Europe' is what you posted. Thats utterly wrong. Some distinct parts - yes. Been all over Copenhagen, Prague, Budapest in all areas with family / wife's younger brothers, Frankfurt, Munich, Paris, Palma, Lyon, Gundelfingen, Estepona, Bratislave, All over the fk in Vienna day/night etc etc etc etc etc. Not a jacker in sight. Bye Felicia!
max225

Davestr wrote: Thu Dec 20, 2018 1:52 pm

You generalize quite well earlier - 'Most of Europe' is what you posted. Thats utterly wrong. Some distinct parts - yes. Been all over Copenhagen, Prague, Budapest in all areas with family / wife's younger brothers, Frankfurt, Munich, Paris, Palma, Lyon, Gundelfingen, Estepona, Bratislave, All over the fk in Vienna day/night etc etc etc etc etc. Not a jacker in sight. Bye Felicia!
:koolaid: I am saying most of European big cities have shit in areas. That is factual just like in America not everything is great. Yet not everything is a damn plight town. I am tired of this whole Europe is the greatest place on earth for so many reasons BS. Plenty of shit there as well just like here in the greatest country on earth (for now) . Their public transit has shit too, just like hours.
Davestr

Max are you tracking aware of this with the S55 oil cooler placed facing down behind the front bumper - https://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/showt ... ?t=1550991
Desertbreh

Davestr wrote: Thu Dec 20, 2018 2:00 pm Max are you tracking aware of this with the S55 oil cooler placed facing down behind the front bumper - https://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/showt ... ?t=1550991
LOL. $35K in repairs and the engine wasn't blown.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
max225

Davestr wrote: Thu Dec 20, 2018 2:00 pm Max are you tracking aware of this with the S55 oil cooler placed facing down behind the front bumper - https://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/showt ... ?t=1550991
Heard about this, I will never have this issue... That said this is perfect case of bullshit dealer is pulling in replacing all the parts with tiny dents at 500% markup resulting in that 35k "repair" bill.

If that car was just a bit older, it would get a new oil cooler or aftermarket for $250 and $150 in labor. And that's it. Just lunacy.
Davestr

max225 wrote: Thu Dec 20, 2018 2:05 pm
Heard about this, I will never have this issue... That said this is perfect case of bullshit dealer is pulling in replacing all the parts with tiny dents at 500% markup resulting in that 35k "repair" bill.

If that car was just a bit older, it would get a new oil cooler or aftermarket for $250 and $150 in labor. And that's it. Just lunacy.
The problem is the volume of oil that cooler contains and its vulnerability to damage. Its not super common but known. The motor is severely/terminal damaged in a minute or less. That guy was really really lucky. They have done the same packaging with the M2C and Im not 100% happy with that configuration at all. Granted the oil cooling in all the ////M cars is good, really good but thats not fun. The guys Comprehensive ate that bill. I can see why they replaced and the owner may have insisted anything damaged be replaced. Im sure he was concerned with diminished value etc possibly.
max225

Davestr wrote: Thu Dec 20, 2018 2:13 pm
max225 wrote: Thu Dec 20, 2018 2:05 pm

The problem is the volume of oil that cooler contains and its vulnerability to damage. Its not super common but known. The motor is severely/terminal damaged in a minute or less. That guy was really really lucky. They have done the same packaging with the M2C and Im not 100% happy with that configuration at all. Granted the oil cooling in all the ////M cars is good, really good but thats not fun. The guys Comprehensive ate that bill. I can see why they replaced and the owner may have insisted anything damaged be replaced. Im sure he was concerned with diminished value etc possibly.
hitting something that hard is bound to cause shit to break in any car... whether it is oil cooler or radiator, the engine should be totally fine if you pull over right away, it'll puke out 1-2 quarts and that's fine, you can easily run the motor for 1-2 min without any oil and not cause any damage period. And 1-2 min is way longer than it should take to pull over in this event. Don't think he got lucky at all, just a normal cause of events.

that fact that this will actually total a 2015 model without any engine damage is :fullretard: there is just crazy markup... 5k for the exhaust :wtf: probably 3k for the scratch on the cat... 100 hrs of labor @250 an hr... + oil cooler and the fixins... just Insane.

I don't think you'll have this issue dave, and if you do... shit happens... it would have to be a giant rock that takes it out... just like taking out a radiator... same issue. I haven't lost a radiator to damage in 400k of driving in the USA... I'd say I won't lose an oil cooler on the M.

This goes down to the corrupt practice of overcharging for repair parts... an M3 is likely worth 300k in parts if purchased separately.
Davestr

max225 wrote: Thu Dec 20, 2018 2:16 pm
Davestr wrote: Thu Dec 20, 2018 2:13 pm

hitting something that hard is bound to cause shit to break in any car... whether it is oil cooler or radiator, the engine should be totally fine if you pull over right away, it'll puke out 1-2 quarts and that's fine, you can easily run the motor for 1-2 min without any oil and not cause any damage period. And 1-2 min is way longer than it should take to pull over in this event. Don't think he got lucky at all, just a normal cause of events.

that fact that this will actually total a 2015 model without any engine damage is :fullretard: there is just crazy markup... 5k for the exhaust :wtf: probably 3k for the scratch on the cat... 100 hrs of labor @250 an hr... + oil cooler and the fixins... just Insane.

I don't think you'll have this issue dave, and if you do... shit happens... it would have to be a giant rock that takes it out... just like taking out a radiator... same issue. I haven't lost a radiator to damage in 400k of driving in the USA... I'd say I won't lose an oil cooler on the M.

This goes down to the corrupt practice of overcharging for repair parts... an M3 is likely worth 300k in parts if purchased separately.
Dat fkn /////M tax lol :)
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: An Okinowa Cruiseship
Location: 6 miles north of Sleepy Joes House & 5 miles from Bosphorus Channel

Max is partially right. It really depends on the location. In Berlin, I went to a turkish town, and some turk bro in an A6 was hooning the shit out of his car almost caused accident, people standing drinking with covered bags and smelt weed. Can't speak much of violence, but essentially as long as you remain in a more touristic oriented area, you're fine. The cops there (especially in Germany and Belgium) have more suspicious personalities from what I saw.

And it's this neighborhood at 0:25 where it took place
Nephew of a :plac: a few first gen immigrant on DFD, resident turk, and ex nazi egg lover now driving a middle class mom mobile.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

I've witnessed some pretty intense pick pocketing in Italy and Spain. Nothing too dangerous.