Car talk tré: Carpocalypse Now!

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
Johnny_P
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue short bus

troyguitar wrote: Wed Dec 19, 2018 1:32 pm
Johnny_P wrote:
I will (and do) drive 3x the distance to avoid crawling traffic even if the traffic route is the "faster" route.
Yep. If the whole city is gridlock then I'd rather get stabbed on the subway than drive and park my car.
Philly can be annoying at times but I'd say 9.5/10 times the routes I've curated have little to no traffic. But that 0.5/10 times :rage: :rage: :rage: like when you get stuck behind a fucking trash truck, or Abuelita dropping off 5 cf and about 12 weeks worth of groceries double parked in the one way street, etc.

Subway is so aintcare compared to driving. It's much better IMO I just can't use it to get to my job sadly.
Davestr
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Drives: 17 M2 14 M235

https://jalopnik.com/corvette-sales-are ... 1831171523 -- Corvette Sales Are Down and Prices Are Going Up
max225
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

Johnny_P wrote: Wed Dec 19, 2018 1:27 pm
max225 wrote: Wed Dec 19, 2018 1:22 pm
I think some of you public trans lovers forget who rides on these lovely services in the united states.

This is what I went through daily... for 3 years.

https://sanfrancisco.cbslocal.com/2018/ ... ic-center/
Not everyone overcomes addiction. Glad you were able to!
:iswydt: :amazing:
max225

Davestr wrote: Wed Dec 19, 2018 1:46 pm https://jalopnik.com/corvette-sales-are ... 1831171523 -- Corvette Sales Are Down and Prices Are Going Up
MSRPs are irrelevant on this vehicle, as you can get 10k off the base models and 15k off the higher end models... so now that'll move to 10.4 for base and 17 for higher end. :iono: Just like :truk: 's they are fictitious figures that have no bearing on real world transaction prices.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Hooptie Crotchfruit Carrier

Detroit wrote: Wed Dec 19, 2018 1:17 pm
:dat:

If I could public trans, I would. It's driven me to enjoy driving a Volt every day.
I think some of you public trans lovers forget who rides on these lovely services in the united states.

SF is it's own kind of hell. Holy homeless population.

Can't wait for the BRT line to open here next year. I'll have a stop 2 blocks from my house, it'll have its own dedicated lanes, signal priority at the intersections, and should cut a significant amount of time off of my commute. I've ridden the regular bus several times here and never once encountered somebody doing anything crazy. Just normal people going to work or trying to get around. I'm sure some lines are worse than others, but it's a nice experience when the weather isn't :poop:.
max225

coogles wrote: Wed Dec 19, 2018 2:07 pm

SF is it's own kind of hell. Holy homeless population.

Can't wait for the BRT line to open here next year. I'll have a stop 2 blocks from my house, it'll have its own dedicated lanes, signal priority at the intersections, and should cut a significant amount of time off of my commute. I've ridden the regular bus several times here and never once encountered somebody doing anything crazy. Just normal people going to work or trying to get around. I'm sure some lines are worse than others, but it's a nice experience when the weather isn't :poop:.
This is not an SF problem this is an American problem. It just happens that they don't freeze to death in the best climate on earth. Riding commute hours is "ok" for the most part, as you have safety in numbers i.e surrounded by other poor souls trying to get that BREAD. However going into the later hours of the nights... say... 8-11pm or mid day... 12-3pm can result in some wonderful experiences that allows you to bond with your fellow citizens that are less fortunate.
Davestr

max225 wrote: Wed Dec 19, 2018 2:05 pm
Davestr wrote: Wed Dec 19, 2018 1:46 pm https://jalopnik.com/corvette-sales-are ... 1831171523 -- Corvette Sales Are Down and Prices Are Going Up
MSRPs are irrelevant on this vehicle, as you can get 10k off the base models and 15k off the higher end models... so now that'll move to 10.4 for base and 17 for higher end. :iono: Just like :truk: 's they are fictitious figures that have no bearing on real world transaction prices.
+1 as they would not move half the total or more without them....
max225

Corvette is getting long in the tooth... it has been out for 5 + years without major updates. Other than the more and more expensive models being added to the lineup.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

max225 wrote:
Detroit wrote: Wed Dec 19, 2018 1:17 pm

If I could public trans, I would. It's driven me to enjoy driving a Volt every day.

I got cussed out extremely aggressively for virtually no reason the other night on the train :disgust: I was a bit :drunk: and almost punched the guy as I was furious, but fortunately thought the better of it and cooled down.

Would've never happened in my car or a Lyft. Public transportation is one of those things that is so awesome and wonderful as long as it's someone else that's using it.
Last edited by D Griff on Wed Dec 19, 2018 2:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

max225 wrote:Corvette is getting long in the tooth... it has been out for 5 + years without major updates. Other than the more and more expensive models being added to the lineup.
Previous model runs have lasted eight plus years though...
max225

D Griff wrote: Wed Dec 19, 2018 2:29 pm
max225 wrote:Corvette is getting long in the tooth... it has been out for 5 + years without major updates. Other than the more and more expensive models being added to the lineup.
There is more competition now than ever. The expensive corvettes are closer to lambo prices than ever. And there are mclarens out there and the biggest Porsche line up ever... corvette doesn’t stand out other than being “the cheapest”
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: 1986 Hyundai Excel, 351C swap

D Griff wrote: Wed Dec 19, 2018 2:29 pm
C6 sales slumped hard after 4 years. They had to make the GS to get people interested again and the last couple years were blah as well.

In the last year anyone buying a C7 is the guy that is pretty sure they can't really afford the upcoming mid-engine car at MSRP and reaping the rewards of the discounts on the C7. There has been zero reason for me to upgrade my Z06 to a ZR1, which should normally be something I would want to do. Part of that is the mules running around for the last 2 years telling us the ME car is coming..

Usually the first 2 model years will sell for MSRP, then the discounts start as dealers compete for allocation and to be ranked higher by Chevy.
Davestr

D Griff wrote: Wed Dec 19, 2018 2:28 pm
max225 wrote: I think some of you public trans lovers forget who rides on these lovely services in the united states.

I got cussed out extremely aggressively for virtually no reason the other night on the train :disgust: I was a bit :drunk: and almost punched the guy as I was furious, but fortunately thought the better of it and cooled down.

Would've never happened in my car or a Lyft. Public transportation is one of those things that is so awesome and wonderful as long as it's someone else that's using it.
In other places around the world you would not feel like this and Im sure you know that. Its sad that in the US in great cities this happens.
troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Trek Domane

CorvetteWaxer wrote: Wed Dec 19, 2018 3:03 pm
D Griff wrote: Wed Dec 19, 2018 2:29 pm Previous model runs have lasted eight plus years though...
C6 sales slumped hard after 4 years. They had to make the GS to get people interested again and the last couple years were blah as well.

In the last year anyone buying a C7 is the guy that is pretty sure they can't really afford the upcoming mid-engine car at MSRP and reaping the rewards of the discounts on the C7. There has been zero reason for me to upgrade my Z06 to a ZR1, which should normally be something I would want to do. Part of that is the mules running around for the last 2 years telling us the ME car is coming..

Usually the first 2 model years will sell for MSRP, then the discounts start as dealers compete for allocation and to be ranked higher by Chevy.
Low sales in 2008 is not surprising or indicative of anything to do with the car itself. Moving the Corvette upmarket from 10%'er to 1%'er territory will make it recession-proof though. People blowing $120k+ on a sports car get even more rich during recessions.
max225

Davestr wrote: Wed Dec 19, 2018 3:06 pm
D Griff wrote: Wed Dec 19, 2018 2:28 pm :dat:

In other places around the world you would not feel like this and Im sure you know that. Its sad that in the US in great cities this happens.
In some you do in others you don't. Most of Europe isn't that great anymore... certainly with its own pockets of :disgust: crap. Asia however is different. In particular Japan.
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

D Griff wrote: Wed Dec 19, 2018 2:28 pm
max225 wrote: I think some of you public trans lovers forget who rides on these lovely services in the united states.

Is there an untold part of this story? :D
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
wap

max225

Tacoma at 225k ... :impressive:
Escape at 255k ... :wtf:

So many shitty vehicles in that top 25 :disgust:
wap

max225 wrote: Wed Dec 19, 2018 5:00 pm

Yea I had the same thoughts.
157k Fusions? :wtf:
387k combined Altimas and Sentras?? :gag:
max225

wap wrote: Wed Dec 19, 2018 5:25 pm
max225 wrote: Wed Dec 19, 2018 5:00 pm

Why would anyone in their right mind buy a Fusion in today's world? !
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

wap wrote: Wed Dec 19, 2018 4:53 pm

We were going home from a sportsball game - the train was absolutely packed and everyone was very rambunctious. I was talking (probably loudly) to the people around me and joking around. Nothing at all aggressive or anything, I'm more the "I love everyone" type of :drunk: than the fight starting type of :drunk: . It was weird man.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Davestr wrote: Wed Dec 19, 2018 3:06 pm

I agree... it still doesn't really hold a candle to being in your own, nice, clean space, listening to exactly what you want, all of that. Owning a car is an awesome luxury. Even the good trains/buses are still often ridiculously packed.
wap

max225 wrote: Wed Dec 19, 2018 5:27 pm
They must be cheap as fuck now :doe: , no? :iono:
wap

D Griff wrote: Wed Dec 19, 2018 5:49 pm
wap wrote: Wed Dec 19, 2018 4:53 pm
We were going home from a sportsball game - the train was absolutely packed and everyone was very rambunctious. I was talking (probably loudly) to the people around me and joking around. Nothing at all aggressive or anything, I'm more the "I love everyone" type of :drunk: than the fight starting type of :drunk: . It was weird man.
Then yea that's fucked. Good on you for not escalating things.
troyguitar
Drives: Trek Domane

max225 wrote: Wed Dec 19, 2018 5:27 pm
Elantra Sport :manuel: at $18k vs the $26xxx MSRP had me almost drive straight out to the :dillerman: before Thanksgiving. Fusion for anywhere near MSRP is a :nope: :doe:

I probably should have done it.