Car talk tré: Carpocalypse Now!

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

This morning, someone commented that gas was cheap right now. I haven't been to a gas station in over a month.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
Davestr
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Drives: 17 M2 14 M235

troyguitar wrote: Mon Dec 17, 2018 1:11 pm
max225 wrote: Mon Dec 17, 2018 12:26 pm Prius makes little sense considering price points on the RAV4 and the lack of MPG difference that results in a significant $ savings.
:gtfo:

Prius is what almost all of us should be driving. 50 vs 35 mpg isn't the same, plus the Rav is ~20% more expensive up front.
Agree'd. Its completely true. Instead of making the oil companies richer with your F150 etc the vehicle like a Prius would be optimal. Of course its not the ride to crawl the Mall with is it?? :lol: :lol:
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

Detroit wrote: Mon Dec 17, 2018 1:19 pm This morning, someone commented that gas was cheap right now. I haven't been to a gas station in over a month.
I was then asked "where did you have to turn in your man card?" for commuting a Volt.

:truckyeah:
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Trek Domane

Davestr wrote: Mon Dec 17, 2018 1:20 pm

Prius is what almost all of us should be driving. 50 vs 35 mpg isn't the same, plus the Rav is ~20% more expensive up front.
Agree'd. Its completely true. Instead of making the oil companies richer with your F150 etc the vehicle like a Prius would be optimal. Of course its not the ride to crawl the Mall with is it?? :lol: :lol:

:dedong:
Huckleberry
Drives: 2004 GTO

Davestr wrote: Mon Dec 17, 2018 12:59 pm
Huckleberry wrote: Mon Dec 17, 2018 12:44 pm

And the dunces tend to flock to the Prius. Hence being the dunce cap.
Ive seen plenty of 'dunces' in all kinds of vehicles. Again its not the vehicle. Ive worked with some very interesting and keen people who owned the Prius. Your statement is absurd. Try not judging based on car.
Cool. There are outliers with every statistic. Congratulations on meeting them.
Desertbreh

Davestr wrote: Mon Dec 17, 2018 1:20 pm

Agree'd. Its completely true. Instead of making the oil companies richer with your M2 etc the vehicle like a Prius would be optimal. Of course its not the ride to hammer down the left lane on the autobahn is it?? :lol: :lol:
:wasteful:
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
Johnny_P
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue short bus

Detroit wrote: Mon Dec 17, 2018 1:19 pm This morning, someone commented that gas was cheap right now. I haven't been to a gas station in over a month.
I have no concept of gas prices. It's usually $40-50 to fill the car and :whocares: because I can't even tell you last time I had to do it. 2-3 weeks ish.
Johnny_P
Drives: Blue short bus

max225 wrote: Mon Dec 17, 2018 12:26 pm Prius makes little sense considering price points on the RAV4 and the lack of MPG difference that results in a significant $ savings.

Prius is a shitbox compared to a Rav though. It's also a hell of a lot slower, 0-60 in 11 sec vs 7 flat.
Desertbreh

Johnny_P wrote: Mon Dec 17, 2018 1:50 pm
I have no concept of gas prices. It's usually $40-50 to fill the car and :whocares: because I can't even tell you last time I had to do it. 2-3 weeks ish.
We actually blow quite a bit on gas because we drive complete gas hogs and most of our driving is city.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
Davestr
Drives: 17 M2 14 M235

Detroit wrote: Mon Dec 17, 2018 1:21 pm
I was then asked "where did you have to turn in your man card?" for commuting a Volt.

:truckyeah:
Its 'Manly' to have cash and not be Poh!!!!!!!!! :like: :like:
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

4-500 miles a week checking in for a headcount. 1.2/week fills per week, premium fuel, $50US per fill. All in I'm at like $3200/yr. Can I assume a prius cuts that in half? I mean that's not insignificant over eight years. I'll be Dirks age by the time i retire the :gorf: if things go well.

Hey Dirk you seem to have the same car values as I do, you able to not kill yourself if you drove a Prius or Hybrid Corolla or something?
troyguitar

Tarspin wrote: Mon Dec 17, 2018 2:10 pm 4-500 miles a week checking in for a headcount. 1.2/week fills per week, premium fuel, $50US per fill. All in I'm at like $3200/yr. Can I assume a prius cuts that in half? I mean that's not insignificant over eight years. I'll be Dirks age by the time i retire the :gorf: if things go well.

Hey Dirk you seem to have the same car values as I do, you able to not kill yourself if you drove a Prius or Hybrid Corolla or something?
I want to test the Ioniq at some point if I get another car. Slightly quicker and more efficient than the Prius, plus it has a real 6-speed DCT instead of a CVT. Car and Driver got 52 mpg real world at 75 mph on the highway in a higher trim (i.e. less efficient) version. $23k MSRP new with 100k warranty on the car and unlimited warranty on the battery seems :notbad:
max225
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

Tarspin wrote: Mon Dec 17, 2018 2:10 pm 4-500 miles a week checking in for a headcount. 1.2/week fills per week, premium fuel, $50US per fill. All in I'm at like $3200/yr. Can I assume a prius cuts that in half? I mean that's not insignificant over eight years. I'll be Dirks age by the time i retire the :gorf: if things go well.

$3200 a year... I mean... that's like $280 a month not exactly earth shatteringly expensive. For some nutty driving.
Desertbreh

I have a five mile commute....it's 15 minutes in the summer and 20 "in season." If I had a real commute there is zero question that I would Prius or its ilk. There are actually "Prius Sports" or some such thing with decent ramz that don't look 1/2 bad. Commiefornia has another major benefit to Prius/EC ownership besides the $, you get to drive in the commuter lanes with only 1 person in the car. On certain commutes that can add life changing time to your day. I don't worry about that stuff in the desert.

I would also enjoy treating a car NFG? No part of a Prius could make me care about tailight dirt and I do that shit with all 4 of my current vehicles because I have issues.
max225

Desertbreh wrote: Mon Dec 17, 2018 2:40 pm

I have a five mile commute....it's 15 minutes in the summer and 20 "in season." If I had a real commute there is zero question that I would Prius or its ilk. There are actually "Prius Sports" or some such thing with decent ramz that don't look 1/2 bad. Commiefornia has another major benefit to Prius/EC ownership besides the $, you get to drive in the commuter lanes with only 1 person in the car. On certain commutes that can add life changing time to your day. I don't worry about that stuff in the desert.

I would also enjoy treating a car NFG? No part of a Prius could make me care about tailight dirt and I do that shit with all 4 of my current vehicles because I have issues.
You can't use the Prius in the carfool lane. Tesla only at this point.
Desertbreh

max225 wrote: Mon Dec 17, 2018 2:42 pm

You can't use the Prius in the carfool lane. Tesla only at this point.
The rules are a jumble at this point.

https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/dmv/?1dmy ... v/vr/decal
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

troyguitar wrote: Mon Dec 17, 2018 2:19 pm

I want to test the Ioniq at some point if I get another car. Slightly quicker and more efficient than the Prius, plus it has a real 6-speed DCT instead of a CVT. Car and Driver got 52 mpg real world at 75 mph on the highway in a higher trim (i.e. less efficient) version. $23k MSRP new with 100k warranty on the car and unlimited warranty on the battery seems :notbad:
That warranty sounds :mindblown: for a car that sips donkey piss and sounds about as cheap as any new poverty offering (i.e. civic), and definitely takes concerns about reliability out of the equation. It even looks pretty good IMO

I'm on the fence about how much the $1600/yr in savings impacts my life vs something more fun when the day comes for a new car. I like to push my car at least once a drive for a bit of excitement/lulz. Having the extra torx, handling, and a crisp transmission has made :gorf: expenses kind of justified. Can the Ioniq bring some fun with the dct? Someone here needs to test drive one.
troyguitar

Don't forget that it's a $23k car vs a $38k car, so the savings is way more than $1600/year. You could probably buy a used Boxster for fun days with the savings.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

max225 wrote: Mon Dec 17, 2018 2:19 pm

$3200 a year... I mean... that's like $280 a month not exactly earth shatteringly expensive. For some nutty driving.
It's not terrible, I'm not even sure what the average is. There are a few other places where savings in my life can be had. My youngest kid will be moving from full day child care to before/after school care only and child care costs will drop for a combined 2 child expense of 15k down to 6k come September 2019. Just trying to get to a place where we aren't hemorrhaging money as badly. I've got the cottage thing going down soon too so driving looong distances per year will get worse. I need to start thinking about the impact, especially if gas prices ever take off again. If they stay in the gutter them I'll likely be :aintcare: about it.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

troyguitar wrote: Mon Dec 17, 2018 2:54 pm Don't forget that it's a $23k car vs a $38k car, so the savings is way more than $1600/year. You could probably buy a used Boxster for fun days with the savings.
Oh for sure, i really don't think I'll ever outlay :gorf: money for a daily again. The diesel buyback got me 20k for a 10k car so i splurged. In the 23k realm, the Ioniq is a great offering.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Ok cool so I'm not crazy to be looking at these things with some reasonable interest. Being alive for half a century has its ups and downs, and surely the ying of a Prius would likely get offset with the yang of a ridiculously fun :wasteful: vehicle of some sort.

This calls into question the single car question? Would having Jack of All Trades single car solution be cheaper and more fun then a two car setup? Darn it, back to where I started lol
max225

Two car setup almost never works out ... it’s pretty expensive
troyguitar

Tarspin wrote:
Desertbreh wrote: Mon Dec 17, 2018 2:40 pm I have a five mile commute....it's 15 minutes in the summer and 20 "in season." If I had a real commute there is zero question that I would Prius or its ilk. There are actually "Prius Sports" or some such thing with decent ramz that don't look 1/2 bad. Commiefornia has another major benefit to Prius/EC ownership besides the $, you get to drive in the commuter lanes with only 1 person in the car. On certain commutes that can add life changing time to your day. I don't worry about that stuff in the desert.

Ok cool so I'm not crazy to be looking at these things with some reasonable interest. Being alive for half a century has its ups and downs, and surely the ying of a Prius would likely get offset with the yang of a ridiculously fun :wasteful: vehicle of some sort.

This calls into question the single car question? Would having Jack of All Trades single car solution be cheaper and more fun then a two car setup? Darn it, back to where I started lol
Isn't your car free because you use it for "business"? :rolleyes:
dtraill27
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer
Drives: 17 Mazda 6

I'm at that same mileage. 500 per week. $30 to fill $1900 for the year. But don't listen to me I drove the worst mid-size truck on the market and now the worst mid size sedan on the market.
Desertbreh

Some commutes are more mind numbing that others. The more mind numbing the commute, the less anything matters other than comfort.....good HVAC, a good seat, a suspension that soaks up bumps, and good FE.