:plac: Finds: Show us your automotive goldmines

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

MexicanYarisTK wrote: Tue Sep 25, 2018 10:04 pm
D Griff wrote: Tue Sep 25, 2018 10:02 pm

I've never driven a 911 unfortunately. I've heard the shifters are actually good but online people really :jizz: over 911s.
Also forgot to mention, he told me there was an issue with the syncro. So it may have to do with the previous owner as well. Presumably the shifter issue you had on the cayman its more of a wear issue.
Yeah, maybe. I mean, it wasn't a "problem" exactly, everything worked, no grinds, missed shifts, anything like that. It was just super heavy to row and a little vague.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

MexicanYarisTK wrote: Tue Sep 25, 2018 10:06 pm Speaking of which, since my mk7 gonna get paid off and get into a new car after a several months without car payment, I’m thinking about putting her on Turo.
:popcorn:

It's crossed my mind to put the :poorvette: on there since I'll be DDing the Shitvic, but :iono: . Seems like a bad idea.
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: An Okinowa Cruiseship
Location: 6 miles north of Sleepy Joes House & 5 miles from Bosphorus Channel

D Griff wrote: Tue Sep 25, 2018 10:18 pm
MexicanYarisTK wrote: Tue Sep 25, 2018 10:06 pm Speaking of which, since my mk7 gonna get paid off and get into a new car after a several months without car payment, I’m thinking about putting her on Turo.
:popcorn:

It's crossed my mind to put the :poorvette: on there since I'll be DDing the Shitvic, but :iono: . Seems like a bad idea.
Luckily, corvette won’t attract as much millenials that have boners for manual and powahhh but lack driving experience of cars that are close to vette. Zaino regulars have probably never heard of turo and prefer renting cars the old fashioned way. Chances are :nope:
Nephew of a :plac: a few first gen immigrant on DFD, resident turk, and ex nazi egg lover now driving a middle class mom mobile.
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Also, last night i fucked around with build your car for the JL wrangler. Sport 4-door :manuel: with hardtop, tops out at $34k
Nephew of a :plac: a few first gen immigrant on DFD, resident turk, and ex nazi egg lover now driving a middle class mom mobile.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Hooptie Crotchfruit Carrier

:unicorn: spec and the prices reflects that, especially given the miles, but got damn that's my perfect E46 M3.

http://www.gcmchicago.com/detail-2005-b ... 66581.html

Oh, and inb4 Max :poop: on the E46 M3.
max225
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

coogles wrote: Wed Sep 26, 2018 10:00 am :unicorn: spec and the prices reflects that, especially given the miles, but got damn that's my perfect E46 M3.

http://www.gcmchicago.com/detail-2005-b ... 66581.html

Oh, and inb4 Max :poop: on the E46 M3.
Yea it’s a somewhat rare find. That blue ZCP was my dream car for about a decade. High miles though... over 100k.... which is a lot for that chassis. if you’re actually interested in an E46 let me know I have had 2, including the M.

These cars are good from 0-50k Miles and then they fall apart
max225

MexicanYarisTK wrote: Wed Sep 26, 2018 9:57 am Also, last night i fucked around with build your car for the JL wrangler. Sport 4-door :manuel: with hardtop, tops out at $34k
:manuel: windows ? The 8at is the way to go in that rig
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

max225 wrote: Wed Sep 26, 2018 10:04 am Yea it’s a somewhat rare find. That blue ZCP was my dream car for about a decade. High miles though... over 100k.... which is a lot for that chassis. if you’re actually interested in an E46 let me know I have had 2, including the M.

Eh, I'm not doing anything for a bit.

I have driven a couple higher mile E46s, one felt like a huge pile, but the other with 120k and refreshed bushings and newer Bilsteins drove just like I imagine it should have driven brand new. That ZHP was a beautiful car, but no cold weather package (I need the pass-through for hockey sticks) and :disgust: cheap old pleather turned me off. The S52 is a different beast than the M54 too, so at 107k I'd be leery.
lagunasecaballs
Meat Patty 2nd Class
Meat Patty 2nd Class
Drives: All the E46 M3s

I have two. One has 137k miles (I bought it with 98k miles on it). The other has 150k miles.

Replace bushings like you would any olderish car, stay on top of your maintenance, and it’s a great car to own.

I’d be interested to see the history on that ZCP. Interlagos :Manuel: with a slicktop is $$$$$. So that seems like a good dill.
max225

coogles wrote: Wed Sep 26, 2018 10:11 am
max225 wrote: Wed Sep 26, 2018 10:04 am Yea it’s a somewhat rare find. That blue ZCP was my dream car for about a decade. High miles though... over 100k.... which is a lot for that chassis. if you’re actually interested in an E46 let me know I have had 2, including the M.

Eh, I'm not doing anything for a bit.

I have driven a couple higher mile E46s, one felt like a huge pile, but the other with 120k and refreshed bushings and newer Bilsteins drove just like I imagine it should have driven brand new. That ZHP was a beautiful car, but no cold weather package (I need the pass-through for hockey sticks) and :disgust: cheap old pleather turned me off. The S52 is a different beast than the M54 too, so at 107k I'd be leery.
Mine had all new bushings at 60k miles, new shocks, some euro big brake kit, etc. had 88k on it when I got it and a little over 90 when I sold it. Just couldn’t get behind it .... my car had nearly 20k in maintenance and repair receipts too.... 😐 I added round 1k to that number and :nope: ‘d the fk out

Also the stock front tire size is :225: which is fking :disgust: if i kept that car the first thing I’d do is put some bigger front tires on it and smaller wheels, the fucktory 19s are way too big and tires way too narrow. So the handling was just really blah, not exactly fault of the chassis :doe:
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

[user not found] wrote: Wed Sep 26, 2018 10:26 am Having ridden in @Lagunasecaballs M3...

:jimp:

They're fantastic cars. Just take some specialized love and some masochism.
And a willingness to DIY. They're not bad to work on, but shops will kill you if you can't turn your own wrenches. I really want to drive one.
lagunasecaballs
Meat Patty 2nd Class
Meat Patty 2nd Class
Drives: All the E46 M3s

coogles wrote: Wed Sep 26, 2018 10:37 am
[user not found] wrote: Wed Sep 26, 2018 10:26 am Having ridden in @Lagunasecaballs M3...

:jimp:

They're fantastic cars. Just take some specialized love and some masochism.
And a willingness to DIY. They're not bad to work on, but shops will kill you if you can't turn your own wrenches. I really want to drive one.
For sure. I wouldn’t be as fond of my cars if I was paying someone else to do the work.

With that said, with the exception of a few comically over-engineered parts, it has been relatively easy to work on.
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

max225 wrote: Wed Sep 26, 2018 10:05 am
MexicanYarisTK wrote: Wed Sep 26, 2018 9:57 am Also, last night i fucked around with build your car for the JL wrangler. Sport 4-door :manuel: with hardtop, tops out at $34k
Yep on a 2019 :lol: but that doesn’t bother me much. Yeah the 8 speed is much better than the JK, but I also miss :manuel:

The starting msrp differences on jk’s vs jl’s are mindblowingly insane
Johnny_P
Drives: Blue short bus

That E46 seems rather expensive but I suppose it's some rare enthusiast spec.

IDK. M235i is same price but a hell of a lot newer and will likely require far less attention to own. I bet it's faster too. Less involving and probably doesn't sound as good. :iono:
max225

MexicanYarisTK wrote: Wed Sep 26, 2018 10:47 am
max225 wrote: Wed Sep 26, 2018 10:05 am

Yep on a 2019 :lol: but that doesn’t bother me much. Yeah the 8 speed is much better than the JK, but I also miss :manuel:
A 4 door JK was really tough to drive with a manual, and they have quite a few issues ... power delivery of the pentastar requires you to rev the piss out of it which is a really odd experience in a Jeep.
The torque converter really helps in that aspect. A smaller lighter 2 door would be ok. They have one for 24k locally ... 30k msrp only option is hard top
max225

Johnny_P wrote: Wed Sep 26, 2018 10:49 am That E46 seems rather expensive but I suppose it's some rare enthusiast spec.

IDK. M235i is same price but a hell of a lot newer and will likely require far less attention to own. I bet it's faster too. Less involving and probably doesn't sound as good. :iono:
E46s in us spec sound like absolute garbage
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

max225 wrote: Wed Sep 26, 2018 10:50 am
MexicanYarisTK wrote: Wed Sep 26, 2018 10:47 am

A 4 door JK was really tough to drive with a manual, and they have quite a few issues ... power delivery of the pentastar requires you to rev the piss out of it which is a really odd experience in a Jeep.
The torque converter really helps in that aspect. A smaller lighter 2 door would be ok. They have one for 24k locally ... 30k msrp only option is hard top
I have mentioned before that i had a rental jku sport with auto in cancun, i’ve heard they are kinda like dogs, but dat auto makes it :notbad: it wasn’t a great highway cruiser in terms of ease of driving it, but cruising alone it’s a different story even with the top up, i felt like the top is down due from proportions of it. I will test drive both auto and :manuel: at one point
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Johnny_P wrote: Wed Sep 26, 2018 10:49 am That E46 seems rather expensive but I suppose it's some rare enthusiast spec.

I also feel like e46 m is kind of a waste to own, unless you’re willing to compromise for a car that roughly has same power as current non-M bmw’s. E92 is much better in every way imo.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

I don't have the time to wrench, and don't like fixing suspension, ball joints etc because I'm a pussy and lazy and busy so newer would be the way to go. Or just rent.... or not BMW at all. If I was okay with high maint costs I'd go poorsche.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

It doesn't have a sunroof, I'm surprised you're not all :fuckyeah:. :lolol:
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Tarspin wrote: Wed Sep 26, 2018 10:58 am

I don't have the time to wrench, and don't like fixing suspension, ball joints etc because I'm a pussy and lazy and busy so newer would be the way to go. Or just rent.... or not BMW at all. If I was okay with high maint costs I'd go poorsche.
Best is either go with e92, find some indie shop that doesnt make parts cost an arm and a leg for maintenance. Or get new mmm with zee warranty and dump it when it ends. Also e92’s are like a camry in comparison to the e46 for maintenance

Also my friends older brother just got an e92 M and i’ll ask him whats up when i see him
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

coogles wrote: Wed Sep 26, 2018 10:58 am

It doesn't have a sunroof, I'm surprised you're not all :fuckyeah:. :lolol:
One less broken part doe
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

Wifeys 2016 touareg has been flawless to date. Mechanic noticed that the two rear tars are wearing more on the outer edges and suggested an alignment. I declined and had them rotate back to front. The alignment cost is a slap to the face because her truck comes with the ACC so it's a $400 calibration charge on top of the actual work. I can't see how both tars are wearing on the outer edge the same and it be an alignment issue. Realistically I think the truck is heavy and my wife is probably :stig: when I'm not in the car with her. :iono:
max225

E92s are not cheap to maintain either. Tons of issues in that engine as well. So far the E36 US motor is the most reliable since it isn’t an /mmmmm also the f80 in my car seems to be pretty damn good. And first engine since e36 that takes $25 per 5 quart Walmart Mobil 1 oil. Revs just as high as the e46 :unicorn: engine as well... but doesn’t require the euro $15 a quart bullshit oil
max225

Tarspin wrote: Wed Sep 26, 2018 11:03 am Wifeys 2016 touareg has been flawless to date. Mechanic noticed that the two rear tars are wearing more on the outer edges and suggested an alignment. I declined and had them rotate back to front. The alignment cost is a slap to the face because her truck comes with the ACC so it's a $400 calibration charge on top of the actual work. I can't see how both tars are wearing on the outer edge the same and it be an alignment issue. Realistically I think the truck is heavy and my wife is probably :stig: when I'm not in the car with her. :iono:
Rear alignment is pretty rare to go out of spec. And A lot cars it can’t even be adjusted in the rear ... :notsure: money grab it seems