Crangshaft Aftermath: Deep Kosher Roast

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
nuggstein
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Drives: 2012 GTI

So I have all of these notes as to what I am going to type to him when he sends the quote. Anyone wanna fix it for me? :)

"Could a High pressure fuel pump starting to go out cause this failure, and did you check to ensure that the high pressure fuel pump is still working correctly?"

In order for camshaft to break, something had to cause it to break. Jammed lifter? High presure fuel pump on its way out? Could this cause that to happen We need to find the root cause.

Photo evidence of what exactly. How did the cam break?

Also look into replacing timing chain tensioner?

Possible concering issues:
Tiny oil passages
Metal shards
:crang:
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

I believe it to be a heat treat is due from the factory and vibration caused an internal small crack to make it all the way across. 100% manufacturer defect. Wonder how big of a batch VW got just like it. I also think there is some risk of the intake cam doing the same thing if it was manufactured at the same time.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

[user not found] wrote:
Detroit wrote: Thu Mar 22, 2018 9:59 am I'd also ask for photo evidence of what exactly failed. Then share here. I'm legit curious how a cam "broke"

Wiped out a lobe? Maybe...but then something else major is wrong.
There was a torsional fracture about halfway down the cam.

For that to happen, something stopped it from rotating on one end.

Also, :crang: - camshafts don't just fail. Google VW 2.0T camshaft failure. You won't find much.
No way it was axial load guys. There is a chain at one end and bearings/races holding it in place. This is manufacturing defect.
Johnny_P
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue short bus

Tarspin wrote: Thu Mar 22, 2018 10:26 am
[user not found] wrote:

Also, :crang: - camshafts don't just fail. Google VW 2.0T camshaft failure. You won't find much.
No way it was axial load guys. There is a chain at one end and bearings/races holding it in place. This is manufacturing defect.
Chain at one end driving it, fuel pump at the other, with 8 valves in between. Plenty of opportunities for things to fail and cause it to jam.
Last edited by Johnny_P on Thu Mar 22, 2018 10:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain
Drives: straight past the apex

Tarspin wrote: Thu Mar 22, 2018 10:24 am I believe it to be a heat treat is due from the factory and vibration caused an internal small crack to make it all the way across. 100% manufacturer defect. Wonder how big of a batch VW got just like it. I also think there is some risk of the intake cam doing the same thing if it was manufactured at the same time.
:bruh:

you really are wrong
Tarspin wrote: Thu Mar 22, 2018 10:26 am
[user not found] wrote:

He said torsional, not axial; words and definitions matter (aka english motherfucker :mahtroy: ) . 100% a torsional load caused this failre factory defect or not. :fax:
brain go brrrrrr
fledonfoot
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Taco Truk | Power Wheels Heep

Crang what year is the car and how many miles are on it?
fledonfoot
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Taco Truk | Power Wheels Heep

[user not found] wrote: Thu Mar 22, 2018 10:44 am This really needs its own thread at this point. :impressive:
You're the boss. Make it happen.
Apex
Drives: Abominable

[user not found] wrote: Thu Mar 22, 2018 10:44 am This really needs its own thread at this point. :impressive:
Mod that shit or something. You have the power.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain
Drives: straight past the apex

fledonfoot wrote: Thu Mar 22, 2018 10:45 am
You're the boss. Make it happen.
:dat:
brain go brrrrrr
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Thu Mar 22, 2018 10:03 am
Detroit wrote: Thu Mar 22, 2018 9:59 am I'd also ask for photo evidence of what exactly failed. Then share here. I'm legit curious how a cam "broke"

he did post a video, the fucker snapped in half in the middle. Its legit some shit I've never seen of or heard of. BUT... that kind of thing does not 'just happen' esp after 70k miles....

and the fact that they are telling him to do the intake is straight up robbery
Oh, I missed the video. Things move too fast. Oh well.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

:hai:
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
wap

Johnny_P wrote: Thu Mar 22, 2018 9:39 am
nuggstein wrote: Thu Mar 22, 2018 9:31 am Hello. So basically service manager just called me, said they have checked for engine leaks, air stuff (i don't remember his word) and everything seems to be okay, no bent valves, etc. So I guess it broke in the best possible way? He is recommending replacing BOTH cams (since the other one could go at around 80k miles), instead of just one. He said even with that fuel pressure light there was no way they could've even detected it would have been a camshaft cracking, it's an extremely uncommon problem.

He is sending me a quote and his recommendations. Will post it here for some suggestions before I go to VWoA. They did open the engine up and not charge me because I take care of the car and have paid a lot for their services.
Why replace both cams, that makes no sense at all. Replace your broken camshaft and then replace the car.
:dat:
Replace the broken one then drive the car over to :dillerman: :Zillerman: and trade for a nice Mazda3. Do this before the end of this month.
wap

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Thu Mar 22, 2018 9:49 am
nuggstein wrote: Thu Mar 22, 2018 9:31 am Hello. So basically service manager just called me, said they have checked for engine leaks, air stuff (i don't remember his word) and everything seems to be okay, no bent valves, etc. So I guess it broke in the best possible way? He is recommending replacing BOTH cams (since the other one could go at around 80k miles), instead of just one. He said even with that fuel pressure light there was no way they could've even detected it would have been a camshaft cracking, it's an extremely uncommon problem.

He is sending me a quote and his recommendations. Will post it here for some suggestions before I go to VWoA. They did open the engine up and not charge me because I take care of the car and have paid a lot for their services.
:crang: don't be a sucker, please. This is now painful to me.

Don't do the intake cam. Cams don't typically fail, ever. And they dont fail in that way unless something is wrong somewhere else usually. I'll bet your HPFP is shitting the bed. I maintain there is other fuckery going on with your car and this :dillerman:

MAYBE do the timing chain tensioner since they will (likely) have to touch that to do the cam.

MAKE SURE YOU ASK THIS, IN THE QUOTES!!! "Could a High pressure fuel pump starting to go out cause this failure, and did you check to ensure that the HPFP is still working correctly?"

THEN POST THE RESPONSE EXACTLY, not some "blah blah blah i think they said something about the flux capacitor not getting enough volts and that it needs a better source of neutrinos" IF YOU DONT POST A QUOTED RESPONSE I'M DONE HELPING YOU AND WILL REVERT TO MAKING FUN OF YOUR SITUATION. BECAUSE IT WILL BE YOUR OWN FAULT.

We can't help if you don't give us accurate information.
:crang: , :fax: is spewing actual :fax: here. Listen to him and obey.
wap

I don't agree on doing the timing chain tensioner IF you are going to do the smart thing and trade the car in asap.
Therefore, you should probably do the tensioner.
C00bs
Meat Patty 2nd Class
Meat Patty 2nd Class

wap wrote: Thu Mar 22, 2018 11:06 am I don't agree on doing the timing chain tensioner IF you are going to do the smart thing and trade the car in asap.
100% agree. I know the least about cars on here, but I think it’s time to get rid of this car because it will have more problems.
KYGTIGuy
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Mazda6

wap wrote: Thu Mar 22, 2018 11:06 am I don't agree on doing the timing chain tensioner IF you are going to do the smart thing and trade the car in asap.
Oh you
wap

He did post a vid of the broken shaft
wap

nuggstein wrote: Thu Mar 22, 2018 10:03 am
Big Brain Bradley wrote: Thu Mar 22, 2018 9:49 am

:crang: don't be a sucker, please. This is now painful to me.

Don't do the intake cam. Cams don't typically fail, ever. And they dont fail in that way unless something is wrong somewhere else usually. I'll bet your HPFP is shitting the bed. I maintain there is other fuckery going on with your car and this :dillerman:

MAYBE do the timing chain tensioner since they will (likely) have to touch that to do the cam.

MAKE SURE YOU ASK THIS, IN THE QUOTES!!! "Could a High pressure fuel pump starting to go out cause this failure, and did you check to ensure that the HPFP is still working correctly?"

THEN POST THE RESPONSE EXACTLY, not some "blah blah blah i think they said something about the flux capacitor not getting enough volts and that it needs a better source of neutrinos" IF YOU DONT POST A QUOTED RESPONSE I'M DONE HELPING YOU AND WILL REVERT TO MAKING FUN OF YOUR SITUATION. BECAUSE IT WILL BE YOUR OWN FAULT.

We can't help if you don't give us accurate information.
You got it man. When I get the quote I will respond back with that exactly. He did mention the chain tensioner or something like that too.
You need to do better with your communication.
wap

[user not found] wrote: Thu Mar 22, 2018 10:21 am

Also, :crang: - camshafts don't just fail as a wear item and don't have intervals. Google VW 2.0T camshaft failure. You won't find much.
All :dat:
Johnny_P

wap wrote: Thu Mar 22, 2018 11:14 am
nuggstein wrote: Thu Mar 22, 2018 10:03 am
You got it man. When I get the quote I will respond back with that exactly. He did mention the chain tensioner or something like that too.
You need to do better with your communication.
:whocares:

Who wants to start a pool on how much :crang: forks over for his broken non-engine part? I'm going to say he's $1700 out of pocket.
Johnny_P

wap wrote: Thu Mar 22, 2018 11:17 am
[user not found] wrote: Thu Mar 22, 2018 10:21 am

Also, :crang: - camshafts don't just fail as a wear item and don't have intervals. Google VW 2.0T camshaft failure. You won't find much.
All :dat:
Broken camshafts are a thing with VW though. Happened more often in FSI days where the cam follower would shit out and jam the shaft. But the TSI engine isn't radically different than the FSI, and still drives the HPFP off the exhaust cam, and as such is still subject to some bullshit type problems.

VW just recalled 92,000 cars for possible snapped camshafts from 2015-2016 model years. Apparently the vacuum pump was driven off the cam and if it broke you'd lose power brakes and possibly crash according to NHTSA, so they forced a recall.
wap

Johnny_P wrote: Thu Mar 22, 2018 10:29 am
Tarspin wrote: Thu Mar 22, 2018 10:26 am No way it was axial load guys. There is a chain at one end and bearings/races holding it in place. This is manufacturing defect.
Chain at one end driving it, fuel pump at the other, with 8 valves in between. Plenty of opportunities for things to fail and cause it to jam.
If this is what happened, as I believe it to be, what are the odds that the chain stretched at least somewhat as it encountered sudden resistance right before the shaft snapped?

Methinks fairly high...
Johnny_P

Melon
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Blue things, Orange thing

Whatever the outcome here, a new car is in your immediate future, either fix it and trade it in, or they give you fair market value for it.
4zilch wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:46 am I'm a fucking failure.
Johnny_P

wap wrote: Thu Mar 22, 2018 11:21 am
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Mar 22, 2018 10:29 am

If this is what happened, as I believe it to be, what are the odds that the chain stretched at least somewhat as it encountered sudden resistance right before the shaft snapped?

Methinks fairly high...
Possible I guess. I'm thinking the cam phasing would account for that. But who knows and who cares crang should dump this piece of shit car.