Crangshaft Aftermath: Deep Kosher Roast

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

nuggstein wrote: Wed Mar 21, 2018 3:32 pm Seriously though, what can I be expecting?
The problem is, camshafts don't just "break" something else is wrong.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain
Drives: straight past the apex

Detroit wrote: Wed Mar 21, 2018 3:40 pm
nuggstein wrote: Wed Mar 21, 2018 3:32 pm Seriously though, what can I be expecting?
:dat:
brain go brrrrrr
stripethree
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer
Drives: '04 R32, '90 Miata, '17 CB300F

To grab your ankles and/or spend a lot of time fighting with a dealership.

I haven't read everything but I hope you haven't told them or posted publicly that it's tuned. Any other power related mods?
stripethree
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Wed Mar 21, 2018 3:41 pm
:dat: :dat: :dat:
:dat: :nope: :dat:
:dat: :dat: :dat:
nuggstein
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Drives: 2012 GTI

stripethree wrote: Wed Mar 21, 2018 3:47 pm

I haven't read everything but I hope you haven't told them or posted publicly that it's tuned. Any other power related mods?
They're a tune friendly dealership. They did my Stage 1 for me. When my car was still under warranty, they still covered everything. No aftermarket parts or anything.
:crang:
Desertbreh
Command Chief Master Sirloin

nuggstein wrote: Wed Mar 21, 2018 3:50 pm

They're a tune friendly dealership. They did my Stage 1 for me. When my car was still under warranty, they still covered everything. No aftermarket parts or anything.
Isn't this outside of warranty tune or no tune?
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
stripethree
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer

nuggstein wrote: Wed Mar 21, 2018 3:50 pm They're a tune friendly dealership. They did my Stage 1 for me. When my car was still under warranty, they still covered everything. No aftermarket parts or anything.
Well, hopefully they don't change their tune :zing: and point to it as a culprit and a reason not to warranty shit or own up to potentially poor work they did.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

Desertbreh wrote: Wed Mar 21, 2018 3:58 pm

What is sketchy to me and where this will get sticky is that whatever failed...is not the car's fault. It can't be a coincidence that they tore the intake manifold off and did all this head work and then 2 days later something catastrophically fails with the valvetrain that they touched. Something wasn't done right originally, but they have multiple outs. The t00n, the out of powertrain warranty, etc.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
wap
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue Meanie

Johnny_P wrote: Wed Mar 21, 2018 2:04 pm
KYGTIGuy wrote: Wed Mar 21, 2018 1:32 pm What color Jetta are you getting?
Jokes jokes jokes. No seriously I'd dump the car. Get a civic hatch.
:bruh:
Mazda3 hatch from [user not found].
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
Desertbreh

Detroit wrote: Wed Mar 21, 2018 4:04 pm
Desertbreh wrote: Wed Mar 21, 2018 3:58 pm

What is sketchy to me and where this will get sticky is that whatever failed...is not the car's fault. It can't be a coincidence that they tore the intake manifold off and did all this head work and then 2 days later something catastrophically fails with the valvetrain that they touched. Something wasn't done right originally, but they have multiple outs. The t00n, the out of powertrain warranty, etc.
Dis.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
wap

Desertbreh wrote: Wed Mar 21, 2018 3:28 pm
Tarspin wrote: Wed Mar 21, 2018 3:23 pm Knee jerk reaction.
Broken Camshaft. Whew, NOT an engine problem.
:lolol:
Barnes93cb
Drives: Turbro Go Kart/ Yamaha Bolt

[user not found] wrote: Wed Mar 21, 2018 7:35 am
Barnes93cb wrote: Wed Mar 21, 2018 2:33 am My only fear would be elevators. Fuck those things.
Ever been in one that feel?
Nope. Completely irrational fear for no reason.
fledonfoot
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Taco Truk | Power Wheels Heep

They may be a tune friendly dealership, but they're not a friendly dealership. Their initial actions in wanting to charge you for the diagnosis shows this.

You need to keep the pressure on them, and bang the drum that you were given a car back that was not right, and was told it was fine. They upsold you a carbon cleaning, tires, and a bunch of other stuff along with a warranty repair... an "ideal" service customer.

It sounds like in the past you've spent a shitload of money with them, too. Bring up that you've spent lots of money in the past with them (I assume that this was the same dealer that did your massive service I remember you posting about on DFD2.0). Remind the service manager that you've spent lots of money with them in the past, that you've trusted them for years with your car. Remind him that it came in with one problem, almost didn't leave because of fuel pressure related issues (after they replace major fuel system components, no less), and within a handful of miles got towed back in blown up. Many red flags should be raised.

As long as you've spent serious money with them in the past - which I believe you have - you play the loyalty card with them. You've spent dealer service rates for years and shown your loyalty. It's about time that the dealer steps up to take care of their loyal customer and make things right.

If you've spent several thousand dollars on service with that dealer in the past, there are ways they can help you, including Goodwill manufacturer support.

And if you keep getting pushback, ask for a detailed quote for the repair. Then contact VWoA corporate and open up a case.
razr390
Drives: MK7.5 on 87

fledonfoot wrote: Wed Mar 21, 2018 4:36 pm

They may be a tune friendly dealership, but they're not a friendly dealership. Their initial actions in wanting to charge you for the diagnosis shows this.

You need to keep the pressure on them, and bang the drum that you were given a car back that was not right, and was told it was fine. They upsold you a carbon cleaning, tires, and a bunch of other stuff along with a warranty repair... an "ideal" service customer.

It sounds like in the past you've spent a shitload of money with them, too. Bring up that you've spent lots of money in the past with them (I assume that this was the same dealer that did your massive service I remember you posting about on DFD2.0). Remind the service manager that you've spent lots of money with them in the past, that you've trusted them for years with your car. Remind him that it came in with one problem, almost didn't leave because of fuel pressure related issues (after they replace major fuel system components, no less), and within a handful of miles got towed back in blown up. Many red flags should be raised.

As long as you've spent serious money with them in the past - which I believe you have - you play the loyalty card with them. You've spent dealer service rates for years and shown your loyalty. It's about time that the dealer steps up to take care of their loyal customer and make things right.

If you've spent several thousand dollars on service with that dealer in the past, there are ways they can help you, including Goodwill manufacturer support.

And if you keep getting pushback, ask for a detailed quote for the repair. Then contact VWoA corporate and open up a case.
I don't think you understood his problem. Your response is too detailed and therefore :crang: won't know what to do.

He needs more of the juicy ambiguity.
:doughnut: :narc: :doughnut:
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:05 pm DFD. The forum where everybody makes the same choices and then tells anybody trying to join the club that they are the stupidest motherfucker to ever walk the earth.
Desertbreh

ITT the difference between TOON FRIENDLY and FRIENDLY is explained with the brushstrokes of a master.
wap

[user not found] wrote: Wed Mar 21, 2018 4:52 pm
wap wrote: :bruh:
If he’s serious, I’m serious. Crang, you’ve got my number.
I'm serious. I think this would be a great move for him. It's all the car he needs while still being somewhat fun to drive.
fledonfoot
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

razr390 wrote: Wed Mar 21, 2018 4:44 pm

I don't think you understood his problem. Your response is too detailed and therefore :crang: won't know what to do.

He needs more of the juicy ambiguity.
True.

Us: DON'T START THE FUCKING CAR

Him: Guys I had to start the car so they could tow it out.

I can't believe he tipped the tow driver for it.

Or maybe I can. I don't know. :iono:
wap

[user not found] wrote: Wed Mar 21, 2018 6:04 pm Thread title is 5/7 :bravo:
:lolol:
Johnny_P
Drives: Blue short bus

Desertbreh wrote: Wed Mar 21, 2018 3:28 pm
Tarspin wrote: Wed Mar 21, 2018 3:23 pm Knee jerk reaction.
Broken Camshaft. Whew, NOT an engine problem.
POT mother fucking D
Johnny_P

But what is he supposed to do?
Johnny_P

Look it up. It’s a thing with VW 2.0T engines. FSI did it more often than the TSI. I think it has to do with the fuel pump being on the end of the camshaft.
fledonfoot
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Johnny_P wrote: Wed Mar 21, 2018 6:22 pm

But what is he supposed to do?
If only someone had any advice.
Johnny_P

[user not found] wrote: Wed Mar 21, 2018 4:52 pm
wap wrote: :bruh:
If he’s serious, I’m serious. Crang, you’ve got my number.
Buying a Mazda 3 or CX5 is a pretty damn solid option IMO. I'd get the FUCK outta that car. But that's just me. Crang isn't mechanically inclined at all, and will take way less of an anal pounding at the Mazda dealership since those cars hardly ever break.

#notmyproblem
nuggstein
Drives: 2012 GTI

Hello. So basically service manager just called me, said they have checked for engine leaks, air stuff (i don't remember his word) and everything seems to be okay, no bent valves, etc. So I guess it broke in the best possible way? He is recommending replacing BOTH cams (since the other one could go at around 80k miles), instead of just one. He said even with that fuel pressure light there was no way they could've even detected it would have been a camshaft cracking, it's an extremely uncommon problem.

He is sending me a quote and his recommendations. Will post it here for some suggestions before I go to VWoA. They did open the engine up and not charge me because I take care of the car and have paid a lot for their services.
:crang:
Johnny_P

nuggstein wrote: Thu Mar 22, 2018 9:31 am Hello. So basically service manager just called me, said they have checked for engine leaks, air stuff (i don't remember his word) and everything seems to be okay, no bent valves, etc. So I guess it broke in the best possible way? He is recommending replacing BOTH cams (since the other one could go at around 80k miles), instead of just one. He said even with that fuel pressure light there was no way they could've even detected it would have been a camshaft cracking, it's an extremely uncommon problem.

He is sending me a quote and his recommendations. Will post it here for some suggestions before I go to VWoA. They did open the engine up and not charge me because I take care of the car and have paid a lot for their services.
Why replace both cams, that makes no sense at all. Replace your broken camshaft and then replace the car.