OT 12: Pew Pew Pew

Off-topic? You mean on-topic!
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Ford Party ST

I think I read more pages of OT in a single day than ever before.

The discussion highlights the real issue in that people with opposing opinions refuse to understand the other side’s perspective and work towards reasonable solutions. People would rather just point out the other side’s flawed thinking, tell them they’re wrong for thinking that way, and the only solution is to think their way. The problem isn’t guns, religion, liberal, or conservative. It’s people refusing to listen, empathize, and work together in a reasonable fashion.

That’s all I’m offering on the subject and prefer not to debate my views on the forum. I’m going back into my hole and worry about things that truly affect ME.
As the only published author in a well-known motorcycle publication in the room...
Melon
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Blue things, Orange thing

I never knew you were so religious Sawce.

No judgement, just, didn't know.
4zilch wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:46 am I'm a fucking failure.
Melon
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

4zilch wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2018 5:22 am The discussion highlights the real issue in that people with opposing opinions refuse to understand the other side’s perspective and work towards reasonable solutions.
Same fucking brain man.

I was out in the field all day (I'll post a selfie shortly) and I got back to the office, Dubshow's and I were talking guns, and we don't see eye to eye 100%, but my main issue was how we can't even have these discussions, because they need to be had. It's so polarized, and instantly :triggered: .

I have a 9mm S&W M&P, I enjoy it, but, I'm not a gun nut, I don't know the ins and outs of all the laws. Gun control debates are an area I don't know enough about to offer meaningful insight, but, the conversation needs to be had.

Anyway, let's make today a good day.
Melon
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

I'm a working :melon:

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

KYGTIGuy
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Mazda6

wap wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2018 12:12 am
KYGTIGuy wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2018 11:38 pm

We debating the phrase "turn to it" now? Is that what you hoped to be doing tonight?
No debate. Turn to it means he became religious later in life, which is not true. :fax: beyond debate.
Got it wap, he's just too dumb to turn away I suppose. Fair point.
Melon
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

I designed the structure I'm standing in FWIW.

KYGTIGuy
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Melon wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2018 6:37 am I designed the structure I'm standing in FWIW.

How much time do you get to spend onsite and outside like that?
KYGTIGuy
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Quick question on the gun debate. Don't want to start it again but I'm curious to hear from people.

What are the arguments against banning high capacity magazines for which their is no constitutional right?

Again, I'm not going to debate the points, just want to see peoples opinions.

And yes, I have Google.
Melon
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

KYGTIGuy wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2018 7:00 am
Melon wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2018 6:37 am I designed the structure I'm standing in FWIW.

How much time do you get to spend onsite and outside like that?
It varies as the project moves through various stages, but, as an average, about four half-day trips and one or two full-day trips a month.
Johnny_P
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue short bus

Melon wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2018 6:05 am...and we don't see eye to eye 100%, but my main issue was how we can't even have these discussions...
Isn't that the problem with just about every disagreement there is today? People thinking they're right and that's that? The idea of compromise and small steps towards progress is lost on a lot of people.
Johnny_P
Drives: Blue short bus

KYGTIGuy wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2018 7:02 am Quick question on the gun debate. Don't want to start it again but I'm curious to hear from people.

What are the arguments against banning high capacity magazines for which their is no constitutional right?

Again, I'm not going to debate the points, just want to see peoples opinions.

And yes, I have Google.
Pretty sure it's just the thought that civilians should have access to military grade weaponry. A "militia" is more effective with military grade weapons than they are with bolt action rifles. For the day that China invades California. That, and, if the bad guys have it you should be able to have it to protect yourself.

My guess at least.
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Ford Party ST

:impressive:
As the only published author in a well-known motorcycle publication in the room...
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain
Drives: straight past the apex

wap wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2018 8:32 pm
Big Brain Bradley wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2018 6:35 pm

more like 2.

but its not about the power...its about the common man having access to infantry grade weapons.
IDK, I'd be willing to bet it's a bit more than 2. The Baker rifle was around 2 and it was notoriously difficult to load quickly.
I did a report on revolutionary war & civil war weapons in grade school, its one of the things i remember clearly cause it shocked me...it was maybe two. paper cartridges. Its why they had firing lines and what not. and would go toe to toe in a field.....it took so long to reload and was nigh on impossible to do on the run.

:fax:

Wap, i know you have you opinion and its yours to have... but really... you should be better educated on this issue if you are going to have such strong feelings on it. When you get basic firearm facts wrong it makes you look ignorant and most people will just begin to ignore you as another :fullretard: liberal anti gunner.

Like :[user not found]: says NO ONE wants to see dead kids and there fore are open to reasonable ways to stop it. But when the left goes straight to gun bans it SHUTS DOWN the conversation.
brain go brrrrrr
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

dubshow wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2018 5:43 pm Or thomas jefferson bad ass air rifle!

https://www.ammoland.com/2014/06/look-a ... ult-rifle/

In fact, these assault weapons were .46 caliber, military, magazine fed, rifles with high capacity magazines capable of firing 22 shots in 60 seconds.

They even came with four, 22 round speedloaders.

The Founding Fathers not only knew about assault weapons, they did not exclude them from the Second Amendment.
http://warfarehistorynetwork.com/daily/ ... air-rifle/
that was also not a common infantry grade weapon, it was an experiment.
brain go brrrrrr
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

SAWCE wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2018 7:52 pm
troyguitar wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2018 7:50 pm

Evolution is :fax: :doe:

You are an idiot for NOT believing in it.
Minor changes for survival, sure, but you have facts showing that we evolved from monkeys who evolved from pond scum? Let’s see them.
bruhhhhhh :disappoint: :facepalm:
brain go brrrrrr
datgrundle
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Tits and ass to the DFD

dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: All of them

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2018 8:44 am
that was also not a common infantry grade weapon, it was an experiment.
it was a progression of weapons tech. The founders specifically did not limit them. The idea for semi and fully automatic was there. And just 60 years later they had serious fire power with the cartridge which solved loading. next? automatic crank fire....

the point is they knew tech would constantly progress and did not hinder or limit it in the constitution. If we need to re-write the constitution, by all means. Gather the states.
Last edited by dubshow on Tue Feb 20, 2018 9:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

wap wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2018 8:42 pm
dubshow wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2018 7:53 pm

A few actually. And a huge fucking cannon
Same. Not a cannon doe. So what did I type in that sentence that was ignorant?

Still waiting to be educated.
What makes you seem ignorant if referencing "antique guns" and how seemingly ineffective and hard to use they were. I'm saying there was a lot of innovative technology being progressed in europe and around the world. The ideas for cartridges, rifling, capacity and faster rates of fire were in place. They were actively being pursued. The founders NEW technology would progress beyond the current state.

Jefferson also knew "the mind would progress and expand". Both valid points. As the constitution stands, we should be able to have guns freely. The same guns as the military. Arms specifically. Did You know there isnt too much regulation on nuclear bombs? You can actually import them since the ATF doesnt have the correct paper work, yet you can notify them of your actions? The prohibitive part is usually the cost and why that controlled device is on the market.

My point in all this is that our laws are cumbersome at best and do little to protect people.

Also fun side note. We didnt get any gun laws on the books until the .gov created a massive black market which crime flourished and private citizens were better armed than police. Think on that for a second. People had thompsons. If you could afford it ($20-30) you could have some fully auto bad ass gun that was better than mil/police. No issues with that until the blackmarket dumpster fire of prohibition... The other early gun laws? To keep the blacks from being armed and making sure they were kept oppressed.
:bravo: ie maryland. Oldest guns laws around. Can't have the black folks getting armed and uppity.

Before you laser focus on guns, work on breaking down the blackmarket.

TL;DR. fuck you the gov created lots of problems, go read.
Last edited by dubshow on Tue Feb 20, 2018 9:24 am, edited 2 times in total.
Melon
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2018 2:13 pm
dubshow wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2018 2:08 pm i broke my teva flip flops form all my yard work this weekend. They had a good 2 year run. Ordered some replacements on amazon.

:millennial:
pics of yard

Overlooked post is no longer overlooked.

:lolol:
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Melon wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2018 9:24 am
Big Brain Bradley wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2018 2:13 pm

pics of yard

Overlooked post is no longer overlooked.

:lolol:
well it was reported. :sass:
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

SAWCE wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2018 9:56 pm
troyguitar wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2018 9:54 pm There's always an element of uncertainty in scientific pursuits. What's your point? Do you have an idea that fits the current research better than what the scientific community has to offer? Where can I read it to verify your claims?
I’m saying that until you can prove yours without a shadow of a doubt, you have no room to call me an idiot for what I believe. I don’t care what you believe, I don’t think you’re an idiot for it. My personal belief has never and will never personally effect you.
oh this is a religion thread now?

Gravity is a theory too (because we have not detected gravatrons yet) but your ass aint floating off into orbit.
brain go brrrrrr
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

wap wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2018 9:35 pm
wap wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2018 8:42 pm

Same. Not a cannon doe. So what did I type in that sentence that was ignorant?

Still waiting to be educated.
Still waiting for :dubshow: to educate me on my ignorance of historical weapons tech. Shocking that he hasn't done so yet. :rolleyes:
so ye olde :wap:

Had other important things to do. Like play scrabble with wife and clean my military grade rifles from days goneby.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

CorvetteWaxer wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2018 10:48 pm
troyguitar wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2018 10:42 pm That's you, bro. You've never been wrong about anything in your life. I can't think of much that I believed 10 years ago and still believe today. Almost everything I've done in the past 20 years has been wrong.

How can there possibly be this much resistance to the idea that feelings are not facts?
I've told you before, but this is the last time.

You are a fucking moron when you assume to know anything about me and make these comments.

Everyone here knows you have serious issues with communication and comprehension, including yourself as you have stated it many times in your poor me posts.

That's why I really didn't say anything all day and I just watched you spaz out on many topics like a fucking drug fiend.
:waxer: :fax:
:bravo:
brain go brrrrrr
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

[user not found] wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2018 9:27 am Sooooo... why don't we move this gun discussion over to the punchbowl.
hell to da no. :nope:

THIS IS O... TTTTTTT...

-kicks zil down bottomless cavern-

go moderate the :jeep: thread or something.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

Calvinball wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2018 12:28 am
troyguitar wrote:
You're right, I should have been more clear but tried to be brief-ish instead. That was a bad idea.

God forbid I assume that we all agree on the obvious: Some people are able to grow up with religion and think critically about some subjects. Some religious people are able to make rational decisions sometimes.

The fact that I needed to clarify that is kind of upsetting - You really think that little of me to assume that I wouldn't acknowledge the above?
Well, this highlights my point. You often call people out for saying things that expect an assumption on the reader’s part. Say what you mean and be clear; that is a frequent counter argument of yours. So I can’t hold you to that same standard?

It’s a forum, written communication only. Subtext/context is sometimes lost. The thing is when others are guilty of such assumptions your first reaction is to call people idiots.

This is an example of you being on the other side. Keep it in mind with future exchanges.

I don’t think little of you. I don’t think little of anyone on here. I try, not always successfully, to just stay out of the bickering that happens here on occasion.

However, like :waxer: said, you have often talked about communication issues. I’ll say again, an Internet forum isn’t an ideal setting, but why not use it as practice. When my dad was on jeopardy Trebek commented on his watching the show all the time at home and playing along. My dad’s comment to that was “that was target practice, this is combat.” But he went on to win. Point being, if communication is an issue, you’ll have to work at it to improve. An Internet forum isn’t a perfect setting, but I think this particular forum has at least proven to have a thick enough skin to be a good target range. You gotta take a third party view of conversations though.

Meaning, identifying when things derail and not just considering the other party as in the wrong but taking a step back and putting yourself in their shoes. It’s the only way it works. The science is out there; if you come at an anti-vaccer saying they are wrong and here’s the facts, then they just double down on their beliefs.

If you want to have productive conversations and not just back and forth pointless arguments, you have to learn how this aspect of psychology works. Otherwise you’ll always just butt heads and make enemies.

Finally, this stuff is a feel-it-out process, sometimes you put yourself in someone else’s shoes and realize...I should just stop right here cause ain’t nothing there.

Sent from the Beer Depository
:dat: x10
brain go brrrrrr