OT 12: Pew Pew Pew

Off-topic? You mean on-topic!
wap
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue Meanie

dubshow wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2018 5:43 pm
wap wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2018 5:42 pm

Yea they could be almost 6 ft long and weigh around 10 lbs. I'm good with people owning those. They're a major pain in the ass to load and fire.
just admit youre ignorant of historical weapons tech. Its cool. I'll wait. :like:
What did I type in that sentence that was ignorant? How many 100-200 year old muzzle loaders have you fired?
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Trek Domane

[user not found] wrote:
troyguitar wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2018 5:43 pm I think that all laws need to be written/interpreted literally - and likely change more often as a result.
Totally reasonable just think of the downstream impact on stuff you like while we do that....

We live in the world we live in. I am more than willing to support change, but we can do steps now while we try and build eutopia. Throwing our hands up and taking an all or nothing approach is not useful.
You're the one who thinks kids should be shot so that you can feel like a man with your guns.

Guns have no place in the first world outside of law enforcement and the military. The "need" for them at the time of the 2nd amendment was due to a lack of police forces and standing armies. That need no longer exists.
razr390
Drives: MK7.5 on 87

[user not found] wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2018 6:04 pm
troyguitar wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2018 5:52 pm You're the one who thinks kids should be shot so that you can feel like a man with your guns.

Guns have no place in the first world outside of law enforcement and the military. The "need" for them at the time of the 2nd amendment was due to a lack of police forces and standing armies. That need no longer exists.
Make me a proposal, Troy. Not a dream. A real proposal that might stand a chance of becoming law and would be Constitutional.

I've made FOUR. You've made zero. You're just as much a part of the problem as gun owners.
:triggered:
:doughnut: :narc: :doughnut:
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:05 pm DFD. The forum where everybody makes the same choices and then tells anybody trying to join the club that they are the stupidest motherfucker to ever walk the earth.
troyguitar

[user not found] wrote:
troyguitar wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2018 5:52 pm You're the one who thinks kids should be shot so that you can feel like a man with your guns.

Make me a proposal, Troy. Not a dream. A real proposal that might stand a chance of becoming law and would be Constitutional.

I've made FOUR. You've made zero. You're just as much a part of the problem as gun owners.
Copy the gun laws from Canada.
troyguitar

[user not found] wrote:
troyguitar wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2018 6:06 pm Copy the gun laws from Canada.
Which isn't too far from the four I've suggested which tells me you don't even know their laws they just have fewer gun crimes so you think they are better.

I'd be fine with that approach and it would likely be Constitutional. It would be almost impossible to get through congress but I'd support it.
Copying Canada is a baby step toward eliminating guns entirely from civilians, not an end goal.

The fact is that we will NEVER see reasonable gun laws here :doe: - Not even baby steps. It won't happen. Too many morans combined with too many powerful fear mongers keeping the morans up in arms.
troyguitar

[user not found] wrote:
troyguitar wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2018 6:13 pm Copying Canada is a baby step toward eliminating guns entirely from civilians, not an end goal.

The fact is that we will NEVER see reasonable gun laws here :doe: - Not even baby steps. It won't happen. Too many morans combined with too many powerful fear mongers keeping the morans up in arms.
Keep your eye on the real goal. The real goal is eliminating gun violence and long term eliminating violence in general.

Guns are a piece of this but not the full package. Baby steps DO matter and will save real lives.
We will never even see baby steps. It's hopeless. Gun nuts will NEVER relent.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain
Drives: straight past the apex

wap wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2018 5:34 pm
[user not found] wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2018 5:27 pm

Are we talking pistols or rifles?

FWIW an 18th century rifle is generally speaking far more powerful and no less accurate than a modern weapon. A .62 bullet out of a Kentucky Rifle would leave a hole in you that there is generally no coming back from, even with modern medicine. They were nasty nasty guns.
And fired what, 3-6 rounds per minute as long as the powder was dry and the flint made it's spark.
more like 2.

but its not about the power...its about the common man having access to infantry grade weapons.
brain go brrrrrr
troyguitar

[user not found] wrote:
troyguitar wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2018 6:19 pm

We will never even see baby steps. It's hopeless. Gun nuts will NEVER relent.
They don't need to. Many gun owners are like me.

The key to doing that is a reasonable position (which I'd easy to get to and I think you have) and an argument that doesn't alienate the MANY "logical" gun owners out there. It's as much style as substance.

Treating someone like me as the enemy when I am your ideal ally is a sure fire way to get to failure.

You need 50% + 1 to win. Not 100%
It has nothing to do with you and me, we're not in office and neither of us ever could be... The people who are in office have shown that they are unwilling to pass anything and the people have shown that they will continue to support representatives who never do anything. We, the country in general, don't want to improve anything.

4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Ford Party ST

wap wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2018 5:42 pm
troyguitar wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2018 5:37 pm You can't easily conceal it either.
Yea they could be almost 6 ft long and weigh around 10 lbs. I'm good with people owning those. They're a major pain in the ass to load and fire.
:dat:

I have a modern muzzle loader, complete pain in the ass to load and fire. Not to mention cleaning the damn thing. They also explode from time to time in users face.
As the only published author in a well-known motorcycle publication in the room...
troyguitar

I firmly believe that we will not fix anything in our lifetime. The only hope to improve society in a measureable way is to eliminate the stranglehold of religion. Teaching kids to believe in fairy tales against all evidence is the root problem here and makes the citizenry in general unable to think critically.
KYGTIGuy
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Mazda6

I am not an advocate for frequent changes in laws and Constitutions. But laws and institutions must go hand in hand with the progress of the human mind. As that becomes more developed, more enlightened, as new discoveries are made, new truths discovered and manners and opinions change, with the change of circumstances, institutions must advance also to keep pace with the times. We might as well require a man to wear still the coat which fitted him when a boy as civilized society to remain ever under the regimen of their barbarous ancestors.

~KYGTIGuy
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Ford Party ST

KYGTIGuy wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2018 6:57 pm I am not an advocate for frequent changes in laws and Constitutions. But laws and institutions must go hand in hand with the progress of the human mind. As that becomes more developed, more enlightened, as new discoveries are made, new truths discovered and manners and opinions change, with the change of circumstances, institutions must advance also to keep pace with the times. We might as well require a man to wear still the coat which fitted him when a boy as civilized society to remain ever under the regimen of their barbarous ancestors.

~KYGTIGuy
You’re Thomas Jefferson? : mindblown:
As the only published author in a well-known motorcycle publication in the room...
KYGTIGuy
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

4zilch wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2018 7:03 pm
KYGTIGuy wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2018 6:57 pm I am not an advocate for frequent changes in laws and Constitutions. But laws and institutions must go hand in hand with the progress of the human mind. As that becomes more developed, more enlightened, as new discoveries are made, new truths discovered and manners and opinions change, with the change of circumstances, institutions must advance also to keep pace with the times. We might as well require a man to wear still the coat which fitted him when a boy as civilized society to remain ever under the regimen of their barbarous ancestors.

~KYGTIGuy
You’re Thomas Jefferson? : mindblown:
Hmm, wha?
SAWCE
Drives: Ebombtra

troyguitar wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2018 6:44 pm I firmly believe that we will not fix anything in our lifetime. The only hope to improve society in a measureable way is to eliminate the stranglehold of religion. Teaching kids to believe in fairy tales against all evidence is the root problem here and makes the citizenry in general unable to think critically.
Religion is the root cause of mass shootings?

Other coutries are highly religious too, and yet ours is the only one where this regularly happen.. Not buying that religion is the root of the problem here. Try again.
KYGTIGuy
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Took my kids to an indoor playground today. Some kid pissed in the ball pit.

Still better than Chucky cheese.
SAWCE

KYGTIGuy wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2018 7:26 pm Took my kids to an indoor playground today. Some kid pissed in the ball pit.

Did you see it, or just smell it? Kinda funny to picture a kid standing next to the pit, dropping trou, and just whipping it out to piss in there.
KYGTIGuy
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

SAWCE wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2018 7:27 pm
KYGTIGuy wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2018 7:26 pm Took my kids to an indoor playground today. Some kid pissed in the ball pit.

Did you see it, or just smell it? Kinda funny to picture a kid standing next to the pit, dropping trou, and just whipping it out to piss in there.
Staff came up to the parents standing around the pit and asked them to remove their kids. They then pointed out wet footprints coming from out of the pit. A mom next to me grabbed her kid and was like "yeah, he's wet" as in her been sitting in something.

They emptied the pit and cleaned it and added new balls.
Last edited by KYGTIGuy on Mon Feb 19, 2018 7:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
troyguitar

SAWCE wrote:
troyguitar wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2018 6:44 pm I firmly believe that we will not fix anything in our lifetime. The only hope to improve society in a measureable way is to eliminate the stranglehold of religion. Teaching kids to believe in fairy tales against all evidence is the root problem here and makes the citizenry in general unable to think critically.

Other coutries are highly religious too, and yet ours is the only one where this regularly happen.. Not buying that religion is the root of the problem here. Try again.
Religion is why we can't make rational decisions, which is why we have insane gun laws. You not buying it doesn't make it wrong. IIRC you're one of the brainwashed children of :jesus: :doe: so of course you wouldn't buy it.
SAWCE

KYGTIGuy wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2018 7:29 pm
SAWCE wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2018 7:27 pm

Staff came up to the parents standing around the put and asked them to remove their kids. They then pointed out wet footprints coming from out of the pit. A mom next to me grabbed her kid and was like "yeah, he's wet" as in her been sitting in something.

They emptied the pit and cleaned it and added new balls.
Lol gross..

One time lifeguarding we saw a kid coming out of the locker rooms to the pool and noticed one of his footprints looked different than the other.. there was a rule that you had to shower before getting in the pool, which is why they were wet at all. As he got closer we asked to look at his feet, and he had stepped in shit with one of them. Went into the locker room, and sure enough, there was a smushed turd in the shower.
SAWCE

troyguitar wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2018 7:30 pm
SAWCE wrote:

Religion is why we can't make rational decisions, which is why we have insane gun laws. You not buying it doesn't make it wrong. IIRC you're one of the brainwashed children of :jesus: :doe: so of course you wouldn't buy it.
I mean, I grew up religious, but I don't go anymore, and would like to think that I can think for myself (I probably can't :caspian: ) I'll agree that a lot of religious views are outdated, but from what I've seen of friends and family who are still religious, their religions at least, have made huge steps towards being more progressive since I last went as a teenager. Trying to erradicate a faith that people have becuase you don't agree with it and think that it makes all of them incapable of making rational decisions is pretty short-sighted and over-generalizing.
Calvinball
Drives: Pumpkin, Hellcat edition

troyguitar wrote:
SAWCE wrote: Religion is the root cause of mass shootings?

I’m just not following you on this one. Being raised with religion inhibits critical thinking?

Sent from the Beer Depository
:therapist:
troyguitar

SAWCE wrote:
troyguitar wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2018 7:30 pm Religion is why we can't make rational decisions, which is why we have insane gun laws. You not buying it doesn't make it wrong. IIRC you're one of the brainwashed children of :jesus: :doe: so of course you wouldn't buy it.
I mean, I grew up religious, but I don't go anymore, and would like to think that I can think for myself (I probably can't :caspian: ) I'll agree that a lot of religious views are outdated, but from what I've seen of friends and family who are still religious, their religions at least, have made huge steps towards being more progressive since I last went as a teenager. Trying to erradicate a faith that people have becuase you don't agree with it and think that it makes all of them incapable of making rational decisions is pretty short-sighted and over-generalizing.
Feelings being taught to be equivalent to :fax: is the biggest problem here, and it comes directly from religion. It ought to be a crime to teach kids that shit.
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: 1986 Hyundai Excel, 351C swap

Boy, this thread became a clusterfuck of supposed facts today.

How about them Kardashians?
troyguitar

Calvinball wrote:
troyguitar wrote:Religion is why we can't make rational decisions, which is why we have insane gun laws. You not buying it doesn't make it wrong. IIRC you're one of the brainwashed children of :jesus: :doe: so of course you wouldn't buy it.
I’m just not following you on this one. Being raised with religion inhibits critical thinking?

Sent from the Beer Depository
Where are you having trouble? Religion teaches kids that if you believe something to be true, then it is true.
SAWCE

troyguitar wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2018 7:40 pm
SAWCE wrote:
Feelings being taught to be equivalent to :fax: is the biggest problem here, and it comes directly from religion. It ought to be a crime to teach kids that shit.
I guess that’s where I have a hard time agree with you. Mormons are taught to pray about everything we’re taught and try to decide for ourselves if we believe it and to develop our own testimony and faith, not just accept everything taught to us as truth. So my religious experience is very different than what you’ve encountered or heard.