OT 12: Pew Pew Pew

Off-topic? You mean on-topic!
troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Trek Domane

Big Brain Bradley wrote:
troyguitar wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2018 4:49 pm It's insane that you think there is any universe in which the language could possibly be interpreted by reasonable people to mean that untrained individuals should have guns. You're reading into it what you want to read and trying your best to ignore all evidence to the contrary by say "LOL OLD LANGUAGE IS WEIRD"

:disappoint:
you are talking about a time when the average person could not read.
Therefore the words are meaningless and we can interpret them however we'd like?

Nice call, Yosemite Sam.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain
Drives: straight past the apex

troyguitar wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2018 5:02 pm
Big Brain Bradley wrote:
Therefore the words are meaningless and we can interpret them however we'd like?

Nice call, Yosemite Sam.
no, its just 100% clear what it means

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Militia is nothing like regular army and bears no comparison. It literally is farmers with pitchforks and gunz.
brain go brrrrrr
razr390
Drives: MK7.5 on 87

:balls:
:doughnut: :narc: :doughnut:
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:05 pm DFD. The forum where everybody makes the same choices and then tells anybody trying to join the club that they are the stupidest motherfucker to ever walk the earth.
wap
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue Meanie

[user not found] wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2018 4:20 pm
troyguitar wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2018 4:16 pm

Reasonable and sufficient restrictions, as in our handgun laws are perfect as they are? You're totally cool with any and all future handgun-related deaths? Why?
My *opinion* (this isn't a win or lose argument, just my opinion) is that hand guns are reasonable with what I interpret to be within the bounds of the intent of the second amendment.
I agree with this. I'm cool with you owning as many muzzle loading, single shot, black powder firearms as you want, just as soon as you join your local well-regulated militia, per the 2nd Amendment.
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
troyguitar

[user not found] wrote:
troyguitar wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2018 5:02 pm Therefore the words are meaningless and we can interpret them however we'd like?

Nice call, Yosemite Sam.
Just as the gun lobby encourages :fax: to be excluded from debates, this type of stereotype also needs to be removed from debates by the anti gun crowd to have a productive discussion.

Neither side wants to see kids dead in schools.
Bull shit. You said yourself that the deaths are acceptable so that you can have your freedumbs. You value your guns enough to let people die over them.
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: All of them

Lets get back to whats important.

The plight of the :millennial:

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles ... -economies
The income boom enjoyed by people born between 1966 and 1980 has turned to “bust” for the generation that followed them, according to a report published Monday.

In an analysis of eight high-income countries, the Resolution Foundation think tank found that millennials in their early 30s have household incomes 4 percent lower on average than members of so-called Generation X at the same age.
troyguitar

wap wrote:
[user not found] wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2018 4:20 pm My *opinion* (this isn't a win or lose argument, just my opinion) is that hand guns are reasonable with what I interpret to be within the bounds of the intent of the second amendment.
I agree with this. I'm cool with you owning as many muzzle loading, single shot, black powder firearms as you want, just as soon as you join your local well-regulated militia, per the 2nd Amendment.
Pretty much :dat:

A modern handgun could destroy any 18th century gun. Why should you all have such power again?
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

troyguitar wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2018 5:13 pm
[user not found] wrote:
Just as the gun lobby encourages :fax: to be excluded from debates, this type of stereotype also needs to be removed from debates by the anti gun crowd to have a productive discussion.

Neither side wants to see kids dead in schools.
Bull shit. You said yourself that the deaths are acceptable so that you can have your freedumbs. You value your guns enough to let people die over them.
Troy, they already have a great state for you. Move to California.

Their guns laws and bullshit politics have done nothing to curb the violence. But yes, move there. Feel safe.
wap

[user not found] wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2018 4:41 pm
razr390 wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2018 4:39 pm
I meant it’s kind of dumb to worry about dangerous “day to day shit” when literally ANYTHING can kill you
:dat:

On my average day I spend 0 moments worrying about gun violence. On a bad day I spend a few minutes considering it and 0 moments worrying about it.
Wait until your kid(s) go off to school.
troyguitar

[user not found] wrote:
troyguitar wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2018 5:13 pm Bull shit. You said yourself that the deaths are acceptable so that you can have your freedumbs. You value your guns enough to let people die over them.
Handgun deaths. I said they are acceptable based on my opinion on how the Constitution should be interpreted.

Things we don't do that we could within those bounds:

- Training that might go as far as onerous.
- Waiting periods.
- Magazine restrictions.
- potentially reload speed inhibitors

Want more than that? I think we need an amendment.
You'd be OK with not having anything that could fire (reload) faster or further or more accurately or with more force than an 18th century rifle?

I'd possibly be on board with that as a gun that could be legally obtained.
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

troyguitar wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2018 5:24 pm
[user not found] wrote:
Handgun deaths. I said they are acceptable based on my opinion on how the Constitution should be interpreted.

Things we don't do that we could within those bounds:

- Training that might go as far as onerous.
- Waiting periods.
- Magazine restrictions.
- potentially reload speed inhibitors

Want more than that? I think we need an amendment.
You'd be OK with not having anything that could fire (reload) faster or further or more accurately or with more force than an 18th century rifle?

:lolol:

your logic has no power here.
wap

troyguitar wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2018 5:02 pm
Big Brain Bradley wrote:

Nice call, Yosemite Sam.
:fax: is spewing :bs: again.

https://www.quora.com/What-was-the-aver ... dence-1776
Among white New England men, about 60 percent of the population was literate between 1650 and 1670, a figure that rose to 85 percent between 1758 and 1762, and to 90 percent between 1787 and 1795. In cities such as Boston, the rate had come close to 100 percent by century’s end.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain
Drives: straight past the apex

wap wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2018 5:26 pm
troyguitar wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2018 5:02 pm Therefore the words are meaningless and we can interpret them however we'd like?

Nice call, Yosemite Sam.

Among white New England men, about 60 percent of the population was literate between 1650 and 1670, a figure that rose to 85 percent between 1758 and 1762, and to 90 percent between 1787 and 1795. In cities such as Boston, the rate had come close to 100 percent by century’s end.
So we are not counting women and black people (aka slaves at the time)? I'm sure that would bring the average well under 50%
brain go brrrrrr
wap

[user not found] wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2018 5:20 pm
wap wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2018 5:19 pm

Wait until your kid(s) go off to school.
My worry probably won't change because with what I do, I live in the statistics and reality.
"Probably"
troyguitar

[user not found] wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2018 5:27 pm
troyguitar wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2018 5:24 pm You'd be OK with not having anything that could fire (reload) faster or further or more accurately or with more force than an 18th century rifle?

Are we talking pistols or rifles?

FWIW an 18th century rifle is generally speaking far more powerful and no less accurate than a modern weapon. A .62 bullet out of a Kentucky Rifle would leave a hole in you that there is generally no coming back from, even with modern medicine. They were nasty nasty guns.
We're talking Arms, because the amendment makes no distinctions. Doesn't matter if it's a Katana or a :nuke: - an Arm is an Arm.
Calvinball
Drives: Pumpkin, Hellcat edition

Relevant to the discussion and just interesting: http://www.congregationallibrary.org/bl ... un-control

Read how guns were regulated in 1600s Massachusetts.

Sent from the Beer Depository
:therapist:
wap

troyguitar wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2018 5:24 pm You'd be OK with not having anything that could fire (reload) faster or further or more accurately or with more force than an 18th century rifle?

FWIW an 18th century rifle is generally speaking far more powerful and no less accurate than a modern weapon. A .62 bullet out of a Kentucky Rifle would leave a hole in you that there is generally no coming back from, even with modern medicine. They were nasty nasty guns.
And fired what, 3-6 rounds per minute as long as the powder was dry and the flint made it's spark.
troyguitar

wap wrote:
[user not found] wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2018 5:27 pm Are we talking pistols or rifles?

And fired what, 3-6 rounds per minute as long as the powder was dry and the flint made it's spark.
You can't easily conceal it either.
wap

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2018 5:28 pm
wap wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2018 5:26 pm

So we are not counting women and black people (aka slaves at the time)? I'm sure that would bring the average well under 50%
You said the average person could not read. Slaves were not consid.... yeah, i can't finish typing that. Women actually did a fair amount of the teaching then, many times in the home. Many women were literate.
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

I honestly cant read this thing with our visualizing it and laughing myself to tears. Also, anyone could own a canon back in the day.

wap

troyguitar wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2018 5:37 pm
wap wrote:
You can't easily conceal it either.
Yea they could be almost 6 ft long and weigh around 10 lbs. I'm good with people owning those. They're a major pain in the ass to load and fire.
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Or thomas jefferson bad ass air rifle!

https://www.ammoland.com/2014/06/look-a ... ult-rifle/

In fact, these assault weapons were .46 caliber, military, magazine fed, rifles with high capacity magazines capable of firing 22 shots in 60 seconds.

They even came with four, 22 round speedloaders.

The Founding Fathers not only knew about assault weapons, they did not exclude them from the Second Amendment.
http://warfarehistorynetwork.com/daily/ ... air-rifle/
Last edited by dubshow on Mon Feb 19, 2018 5:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
troyguitar

[user not found] wrote:
troyguitar wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2018 5:32 pm We're talking Arms, because the amendment makes no distinctions. Doesn't matter if it's a Katana or a :nuke: - an Arm is an Arm.
It absolutely matters if you aren't a literalist ad I'm not and since you tend to be politically similar to me in other ways I am sure you aren't either.

The standard for self defense had changed and therefore the standard for interpretation has changed. I see nothing intrinsically unconstitutional about semi-automatic firearms. I also think putting limits around that in light of what is a reasonable weapon for hunting and self defense is also reasonable.
I think that all laws need to be written/interpreted literally - and likely change more often as a result.
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

wap wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2018 5:42 pm
troyguitar wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2018 5:37 pm You can't easily conceal it either.
Yea they could be almost 6 ft long and weigh around 10 lbs. I'm good with people owning those. They're a major pain in the ass to load and fire.
just admit youre ignorant of historical weapons tech. Its cool. I'll wait. :like:
wap

dubshow wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2018 5:43 pm Or thomas jefferson bad ass air rifle!

https://www.ammoland.com/2014/06/look-a ... ult-rifle/

In fact, these assault weapons were .46 caliber, military, magazine fed, rifles with high capacity magazines capable of firing 22 shots in 60 seconds.

They even came with four, 22 round speedloaders.

The Founding Fathers not only knew about assault weapons, they did not exclude them from the Second Amendment.
http://warfarehistorynetwork.com/daily/ ... air-rifle/
Doesn't sound that great.
While the detachable air reservoir was capable of around 30 shots it took nearly 1,500 strokes of a hand pump to fill those reservoirs. Later, a wagon-mounted pump was provided. The reservoirs, made from hammered sheet iron held together with rivets and sealed by brazing, proved very difficult to manufacture using the techniques of the period and were always in short supply.

In addition, the weapon was very delicate and a small break in the reservoir could make it inoperable. Finally, it was very different from any other weapon of the time and any soldier using it needed to be highly trained.