9000 Placs Per Minute

Strut your greasy stuff!
max225
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

troyguitar wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2018 5:12 pm Put some more miles on the car today in moderate rain, I'm really impressed with the RE71R tarz and the car in general. These bridgestones might not be faster in a dry autox than the Rival-S, but they are actually good tires for real world street use. They feel great with no stupid tramlining or anything. The car itself feels super high-strung (in a good way) as long as you keep the revs up, which is easy to do since the gearing is short and the engine runs so smoothly.

Dunno if I already mentioned this, but the pedal positioning/spacing in this car is better than I have seen in any street car by far. The brake pedal is dead center, aligned with the center of the steering wheel and seat, with enough width and space between it and the clutch/throttle that you can easily brake with your left or right foot without thinking about it. I know that people are :sass: :rolleyes: about left foot braking, but IMO it is a significant advantage in any corner where you need to brake but not downshift - which is every corner in autox. I grew up left foot braking in karts and do it as often as possible in the PC sim-racing, so it's a fantastic hidden feature of the car.

It's still not fast and is horrific on fuel and forward visibility kind of sucks with the huge A-pillars, but it's quick and fun and cheap. 4/7 car overall, 5/7 when considering price.
Good news overall then :)

Any word on the mr2?
troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Trek Domane

[user not found] wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2018 10:29 pm I can't left-foot brake. I've got a bad case of clutchfoot.
It's really hard in most cars. Not only is the brake pedal usually too far to the right, but it's crammed in too close to the other pedals.

I'm now looking into options for casual-ish driving shoes and a harness for autox. I have hardcore karting shoes that certainly would be fine but are not comfortable to stand/walk around all day in a parking lot. I guess I could swap shoes during events but I'd rather find something that's good enough to not need to bother with that.

I actually got a pair of these but I'm going to return them as the toe box is too wide, they seem otherwise good:

https://www.amazon.com/Goodyear-Mens-Or ... B076H8NSV7

and am going to try these instead:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008A ... =pda0fc-20
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

troyguitar wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2018 1:25 pm
[user not found] wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2018 10:29 pm I can't left-foot brake. I've got a bad case of clutchfoot.
It's really hard in most cars. Not only is the brake pedal usually too far to the right, but it's crammed in too close to the other pedals.

I'm now looking into options for casual-ish driving shoes and a harness for autox. I have hardcore karting shoes that certainly would be fine but are not comfortable to stand/walk around all day in a parking lot. I guess I could swap shoes during events but I'd rather find something that's good enough to not need to bother with that.

I actually got a pair of these but I'm going to return them as the toe box is too wide, they seem otherwise good:

https://www.amazon.com/Goodyear-Mens-Or ... B076H8NSV7

and am going to try these instead:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008A ... =pda0fc-20
Toe box too wide? I usually can't find shoes like that with a wide enough toe box. I might need to pick up a pair to try out. They're surprisingly cheap.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
troyguitar

Yeah it's odd that they're wide like that.

I'm now looking closer at those Pumas and thinking that they probably have more rubber than I'll want. Maybe I should just get some leather loafers and pretend I'm Senna.

https://www.amazon.com/Clarks-Mens-Circ ... GNM8O?th=1

:fullretard:
ChrisoftheNorth

troyguitar wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2018 2:07 pm Yeah it's odd that they're wide like that.

I'm now looking closer at those Pumas and thinking that they probably have more rubber than I'll want. Maybe I should just get some leather loafers and pretend I'm Senna.

https://www.amazon.com/Clarks-Mens-Circ ... GNM8O?th=1

:fullretard:
I have a set of loafers with really thin soles that are the best driving shoes I've ever had. Problem is, they don't work for standing for long periods.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
troyguitar

Detroit wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2018 2:09 pm I have a set of loafers with really thin soles that are the best driving shoes I've ever had. Problem is, they don't work for standing for long periods.
:word:

At which point I could use my karting shoes to achieve the same thing. Dat Cranberry :doe:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B077Q3F9VS/re ... th=1&psc=1
Apex
Drives: Abominable

[user not found] wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2018 2:59 pm I have a pair of Puma driving shoes that I rarely wear - easier to just wear my Vans for everything.

AutoX days, I do switch shoes, doe. Running for cones in thin-soled shoes hurts.
:dat:

I have a pair of Puma's that I use for :stig: and not much else.
ChrisoftheNorth

Apex wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2018 5:15 pm
[user not found] wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2018 2:59 pm I have a pair of Puma driving shoes that I rarely wear - easier to just wear my Vans for everything.

AutoX days, I do switch shoes, doe. Running for cones in thin-soled shoes hurts.

I have a pair of Puma's that I use for :stig: and not much else.
I used to wear Pumas. Then either my feet got wider, or they started making them more narrow.
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Ford Party ST

I wear Adidas skate shoes.
As the only published author in a well-known motorcycle publication in the room...
Melon
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Blue things, Orange thing

I got a pair of Reeboks, or my go to Tigers.
4zilch wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:46 am I'm a fucking failure.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain
Drives: straight past the apex

I wear chucks or ripoff chucks for both lifting & driving.
brain go brrrrrr
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Wrastlin' shoes wouldn't be a bad option for driving shoes. Thin, flexible, and grippy.
As the only published author in a well-known motorcycle publication in the room...
Barnes93cb
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Drives: Turbro Go Kart/ Yamaha Bolt

I did not realize the discussion of driving shoes was so in depth.

I usually wear cowboy boots or military boots. Then again I have no track experience to warrant dedicated driving shoes.

Will any tennis shoe with a uniform sole work? Or is there a science to this?
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain
Drives: straight past the apex

Barnes93cb wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2018 3:54 am I did not realize the discussion of driving shoes was so in depth.

I usually wear cowboy boots or military boots. Then again I have no track experience to warrant dedicated driving shoes.

there is a science but "any tennis shoe with a uniform sole" gets you 90% there and is WAY better feel.
brain go brrrrrr
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2018 8:16 am
Barnes93cb wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2018 3:54 am I did not realize the discussion of driving shoes was so in depth.

there is a science but "any tennis shoe with a uniform sole" gets you 90% there and is WAY better feel.

Reasonably narrow, snug fitting, and a thin sole. Lots of inexpensive shoes fall into that category.

Just like gloves, helmets, etc, everyone has their own preferences
max225

troyguitar

FWIW I just measured all of the shoes for the hell of it. Width at widest point of toe box:

118mm Brooks running shoes that I normally wear all spring/summer/fall
105mm Goodyear Ori posted earlier
99mm Puma Future Cat SuperLT posted earlier
98mm Alpinestars karting shoes

So putting my feet next to each other on pedals, the Pumas have 19mm less "shoe" taking up space between my feet than my regular shoes. Big difference when trying to do left foot braking.
ChrisoftheNorth

troyguitar wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2018 4:28 pm FWIW I just measured all of the shoes for the hell of it. Width at widest point of toe box:

118mm Brooks running shoes that I normally wear all spring/summer/fall
105mm Goodyear Ori posted earlier
99mm Puma Future Cat SuperLT posted earlier
98mm Alpinestars karting shoes

So putting my feet next to each other on pedals, the Pumas have 19mm less "shoe" taking up space between my feet than my regular shoes. Big difference when trying to do left foot braking.
Oh nice, I need to get a pair of those Goodyears.
troyguitar

The Goodyear is a better shoe than this particular Puma, it just is too wide for me. I'm debating returning the Puma too but dunno yet. It's incredibly annoying how many different Puma models there are, how most of them have Ferrari/BMW/Mercedes badging, and how very few sellers seem to have them in a decent range of sizes.
ChrisoftheNorth

troyguitar wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2018 4:42 pm The Goodyear is a better shoe than this particular Puma, it just is too wide for me. I'm debating returning the Puma too but dunno yet. It's incredibly annoying how many different Puma models there are, how most of them have Ferrari/BMW/Mercedes badging, and how very few sellers seem to have them in a decent range of sizes.
I need wider shoes, so they're perfect for me.

I loved my Pumas when they fit, but agreed how ridiculous the branding is. I bet it's all Max wears.
troyguitar

Detroit wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2018 4:43 pm
troyguitar wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2018 4:42 pm The Goodyear is a better shoe than this particular Puma, it just is too wide for me. I'm debating returning the Puma too but dunno yet. It's incredibly annoying how many different Puma models there are, how most of them have Ferrari/BMW/Mercedes badging, and how very few sellers seem to have them in a decent range of sizes.

I loved my Pumas when they fit, but agreed how ridiculous the branding is. I bet it's all Max wears.
What size do you need? The size 11 goodyears I have are past their return period and I'm guessing they're not going to take them back. Wife ordered them at Thanksgiving but didn't give them to me until Valentine's... and forgot about the 30 day return policy. :troywax:
ChrisoftheNorth

troyguitar wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2018 4:46 pm
Detroit wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2018 4:43 pm

What size do you need? The size 11 goodyears I have are past their return period and I'm guessing they're not going to take them back. Wife ordered them at Thanksgiving but didn't give them to me until Valentine's... and forgot about the 30 day return policy. :troywax:
Bruh...DFD linebacker. Size 13...sometimes 14 depending on the shoe/brand.

Talk about not being able to dance on the pedals. When you have pontoons for feet, it's pretty :|
troyguitar

Detroit wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2018 4:48 pm

Talk about not being able to dance on the pedals. When you have pontoons for feet, it's pretty :|
:lolgasm:

I figured as much. DFD average :dong: size is 12" to go with the $100/hr incomes and daily marathon post-pinshitting :dock: sessions.
ChrisoftheNorth

troyguitar wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2018 4:49 pm

:lolgasm:

I figured as much. DFD average :dong: size is 12" to go with the $100/hr incomes and daily marathon post-pinshitting :dock: sessions.
max225

Same size, also who tf wears puma. It isn’t 1980 in Harlem anymore