:plac: Finds: Show us your automotive goldmines

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
Johnny_P
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue short bus

Desertbreh wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2018 1:58 pm
Tarspin wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2018 11:51 am :dat: hatchback sized wheels and lowered is perfect. :trollface:

Okay the RX is starting to sound like a good all around nfg car, I especially like the older (2 gen back) version.
The RX is for old people who want a reliable appliance with a non poverty badge. If you're shopping for one of these you might want to look into killing yourself.
Have you driven one? Legit curious. I have not driven one but have been a passenger in one and thought it was pretty nice overall for a car with 180k on the clock.
Johnny_P

max225 wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2018 2:25 pm
4zilch wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2018 2:19 pm

Macan space is closer to a Gorf - each with 53 cu/ft with seats folded. RS has 44 w/ seats down. With seats up each has more space than a Macan - FoRS and Gorf have 20 and 23 respectively. Macan has 18.

You can fit some 17" wheels on a FoRS. :notsure: on the Gorf or Macan.
Why would anyone put 17" wheels in the trunk of a Macan. Breh... :wtf:

Macan is for those that want the utility of an CRV but the badge that makes the peasants envy you. No one buys it for the "driving experience"
Because the Macan is being touted as the enthusiast option. In an inherently compromised vehicle class. Which doesn't make sense so I made the case that if you really wanted to drive like an enthusiast you'd save a ton of money and get a hot hatch that's faster and will undoubtedly handle better.
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Ford Party ST

Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2018 2:36 pm

Macan is for those that want the utility of an CRV but the badge that makes the peasants envy you. No one buys it for the "driving experience"
Because the Macan is being touted as the enthusiast option. In an inherently compromised vehicle class. Which doesn't make sense so I made the case that if you really wanted to drive like an enthusiast you'd save a ton of money and get a hot hatch that's faster and will undoubtedly handle better.
:dat:

The Gorf in particular is more useful than any of the other hot hatches and probably better then most CUVs (as an enthusiast vehicle).
As the only published author in a well-known motorcycle publication in the room...
max225
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

4zilch wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2018 2:30 pm

scroll up to see original context - I mentioned the FoRS and Gorf as enthusiast options.
It kinds of makes sense, but no one cross shops a 30k FORS and a 40k GOrF with a 65k Macan... they are kind of in a different price category. Also FORs and GORF are more enthusiast choices, i rarely see a non enthusiast in one... where as macan is a pure badge mobile. AZN females only out here.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

I think an RX350 is kill yourself status. Come on guise. Lets be real here.

FX35? Or better FX50? That's another story.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
max225

Fist or GolfR or even GTI are far better options for an enthusiast...
max225

Detroit wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2018 2:42 pm I think an RX350 is kill yourself status. Come on guise. Lets be real here.

I'd rather roll in my crown vic than a RX350, at least it has some kind of "history" behind it. RX350 is your asian step moms car. :disgust:
ChrisoftheNorth

max225 wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2018 2:43 pm

Fist or GolfR or even GTI are far better options for an enthusiast...
Depends. When you drive on roads that belong on the moon, extra suspension travel and comfort is appreciated.

My neighbor with a FoRS complains about it all the time. He said it's absolutely brutal on our "roads".

I've been driving the Volt for the last few days, and I totally get it. That thing is soft, and the ride sucks. Dodging potholes non-stop, bumps so big the car will jump a lane on the highway on a turn, it's just not enjoyable. Which is a shame, because I do enjoy driving the car more. I'll probably keep driving the Volt now that I get free EV charging. But I could see wanting to lift it :plac: style to fit more suspension travel and rubber underneath.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
ChrisoftheNorth

max225 wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2018 2:44 pm
Detroit wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2018 2:42 pm I think an RX350 is kill yourself status. Come on guise. Lets be real here.

I'd rather roll in my crown vic than a RX350, at least it has some kind of "history" behind it. RX350 is your asian step moms car. :disgust:
:dat: :dat: :dat:
troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Trek Domane

Reviews indicate that the 35 is better than the 50 in pretty much every way, at least assuming you get an 09+ RWD model with the 7AT. That might turn out to be a half decent DD/towing option at some point if I ever put together a dedicated race car.
ChrisoftheNorth

troyguitar wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2018 2:52 pm

Reviews indicate that the 35 is better than the 50 in pretty much every way, at least assuming you get an 09+ RWD model with the 7AT. That might turn out to be a half decent DD/towing option at some point if I ever put together a dedicated race car.
:bruh: POWAAAAAAAA
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

max225 wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2018 2:42 pm
4zilch wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2018 2:30 pm

scroll up to see original context - I mentioned the FoRS and Gorf as enthusiast options.
It kinds of makes sense, but no one cross shops a 30k FORS and a 40k GOrF with a 65k Macan... they are kind of in a different price category. Also FORs and GORF are more enthusiast choices, i rarely see a non enthusiast in one... where as macan is a pure badge mobile. AZN females only out here.
point missed. J_P knew what I was getting at.
As the only published author in a well-known motorcycle publication in the room...
Johnny_P

I'd rather have the 35 :iono: 300 HP would be totally fine IMO.
Johnny_P

Nice interior
Comfy ride and real suspension travel
NA V6 so no-bullshit power
Rather good 8AT on the newer ones
Lexus so not likely to break in glorious fashion like most German cars will

In a vehicle with zero sporting intentions. I dunno it doesn't sound horrible to me. The question is if its floaty with no body control, or if there's some body control while just shrugging off road bs. And I really don't know.

If the point is giving up on driving.... I think this is a pretty damn solid option.
Desertbreh

Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2018 2:34 pm
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2018 1:58 pm

The RX is for old people who want a reliable appliance with a non poverty badge. If you're shopping for one of these you might want to look into killing yourself.
Have you driven one? Legit curious. I have not driven one but have been a passenger in one and thought it was pretty nice overall for a car with 180k on the clock.
It's an ES350 with a lift kit? Of course it is "nice".....its a Lexus. It will run for a quarter million miles, just change the oil and the tires. Sit up high brah! No scraping, nor striking parking stops! 4X4. Room for stuff! All of us should trade in our pavement scraping mullet barges, winged flatbrim JDM rally cars, dorito engined gas guzzlers, and buy a new one of these and keep it for 15 years. And shut down every f!$##ing car thread on this forum because there will be nothing more to discuss. We can focus on Crang's love life, building shit out of recycled barnwood and using a f!@#$$ing instapot to reheat Little Caesar's, the best f1#$ing deep dish pizza of all time.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
Johnny_P

max225 wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2018 2:44 pm

Is this just the baked-in "I'll never drive a Camry!" :wap: argument or is there some basis to why you don't like the RX? Just assess it as a vehicle and ignore the stigma. I mean I bought a flat brim vapemobile that only rich white stoner kids who listen to deadmau5 are interested in despite me having no interest in that lifestyle at all...
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Desertbreh wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2018 3:06 pm

It's an ES350 with a lift kit? Of course it is "nice".....its a Lexus. It will run for a quarter million miles, just change the oil and the tires. Sit up high brah! No scraping, nor striking parking stops! 4X4. Room for stuff! All of us should trade in our pavement scraping mullet barges, winged flatbrim JDM rally cars, dorito engined gas guzzlers, and buy a new one of these and keep it for 15 years. And shut down every f!$##ing car thread on this forum because there will be nothing more to discuss. We can focus on Crang's love life, building shit out of recycled barnwood and using a f!@#$$ing instapot to reheat Little Caesar's, the best f1#$ing deep dish pizza of all time.
POTD.
ChrisoftheNorth

Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2018 3:04 pm

Nice interior
Comfy ride and real suspension travel
NA V6 so no-bullshit power
Rather good 8AT on the newer ones
Lexus so not likely to break in glorious fashion like most German cars will

In a vehicle with zero sporting intentions. I dunno it doesn't sound horrible to me. The question is if its floaty with no body control, or if there's some body control while just shrugging off road bs. And I really don't know.

If the point is giving up on driving.... I think this is a pretty damn solid option.
If I give up driving, I will totally give up driving. #podlyfe.

I need something somewhat engaging to drive. Even a :truk: is better than that POS.
troyguitar

Detroit wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2018 2:56 pm

:bruh: POWAAAAAAAA
The extra power drain from the AWD system and added 400 or whatever lbs (including spinning the massive 21" :dedong: :ramz: ) has to negate most of the HP increase. IIRC it's like 303 vs 385 hp at the crank.
ChrisoftheNorth

Guess it's time for another sabbatical.
Johnny_P

Think of all the LC this could carry doe :mindblown:

No I'm not saying everyone should go buy one. I'm asking because I think its a well made interesting looking vehicle with a solid engine and transmission pairing on a well sorted chassis that won't give me BS? Wondering for the inevitable STI replacement with an NFG CUV.

It has no sporting intentions so I understand why it's getting shit on here, it goes against what everyone on this forum wants in an automobile. But I'm someone that really appreciates things like the Accord and Camry, and can appreciate this too. I just have no wheel time in one so don't know dick about how they are to pilot.
ChrisoftheNorth

troyguitar wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2018 3:09 pm
Detroit wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2018 2:56 pm :bruh: POWAAAAAAAA
The extra power drain from the AWD system and added 400 or whatever lbs (including spinning the massive 21" :dedong: :ramz: ) has to negate most of the HP increase. IIRC it's like 303 vs 385 hp at the crank.
50>37. Do you even :math:

Bigger is always better. Moar is always better. FFS man.

You're right, :doe: . When I worked for Inifiniti, I drove an FX37 for a while. That was a surprisingly great SUV. Feels more like a tall wagon.
ChrisoftheNorth

Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2018 3:10 pm

Think of all the LC this could carry doe :mindblown:

No I'm not saying everyone should go buy one. I'm asking because I think its a well made interesting looking vehicle with a solid engine and transmission pairing on a well sorted chassis that won't give me BS? Wondering for the inevitable STI replacement with an NFG CUV.

It has no sporting intentions so I understand why it's getting shit on here, it goes against what everyone on this forum wants in an automobile. But I'm someone that really appreciates things like the Accord and Camry, and can appreciate this too. I just have no wheel time in one so don't know dick about how they are to pilot.
You're assumption that crossovers are inherently terrible so the only option is the most vanilla is flawed.

Why can't a crossover be fun? Because they CAN be. Anything can be fun if it's designed right.

:mindblown: :science: :nuke: :popcorn:
troyguitar

Looks like the 09+ RWD FX35/37 is rare as fuck, I can't even find a review of one.

AWD FEVER. :truk: :truk: :jeep: :minivan:
Johnny_P

Detroit wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2018 3:10 pm

Guess it's time for another sabbatical.
YTHO

Man. You guys are fucking dense. I never said everyone should go get one? I was merely stating that it's :fullretard: to buy a Macan on the pretense that you're getting an enthusiast vehicle when you can buy a hot hatch for far less that'll be a better enthusiast vehicle, and to leave CUVs to what they're intended for.. which is basically the RX's ethos of comfy people hauling. And then got curious about what they're like to drive. I can respect the vehicle for what it is, even if that is a rolling crate of Novocaine.