Jeeponomics 101: Eternal tirekicking for the gutless Jeep

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: 1986 Hyundai Excel, 351C swap

max225 wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2018 8:21 pm to try and get this a bit more on track...
Loaded out rubis are in transit at 53-55k to my local :dillerman: which is pretty fucking wild.

I am still thinking I may sahara. If you get the "optional" wheels on the sahara it changes the tires from all season to all terrain. Which is a very worthy upgrade. The base tires on the sahara are terrible.
No lockers and detachable sway bar doe.... How will you make it to work without them?

About the one you linked, I was looking at that one on their site before. They had another one on the lot that was White, but with white top and fenders... I don't like the uni-color look on these at all.

When I bought the JKU Stoneridge was a pretty crappy dealer. Lots of games and poor pricing. Not sure if I would go back, even with a written offer via email.
wap
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue Meanie

CorvetteWaxer wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2018 1:08 pm LOL, just got a few emails back from a Sacramento dealer on a JL order..

I knew it wasn't going anywhere since there was a hard push for me to come in and not negotiate over email...

After about 5 emails telling me I will get a great deal below MSRP, I got this:
Are you available to make it in today for 10 minutes? This way we know and have your authorization that the build is accurate and we get you the best deal posssible? As you know your presence is your leverage
Me:
"I didn't know I need leverage these days. You are still a bit over an hour away from me, so I'm not wasting your time or mine by coming in if you're not really willing to work a deal. This is sounding pretty bad from your last response and makes me think you might try to pull the BS 4 square sheet out on me and/or demand a credit check when I am more than likely paying cash."

Lastly, from them:
On a brand new JL Wrangler that currently have mark ups on them we can do MSRP on your order.
Me:

"Okay, thanks. I sure am glad I didn't drive over an hour in to the dealership for my "leverage".... "

:lolol:
:rolleyes: :dillerman:
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
Johnny_P
Drives: Blue short bus

max225 wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2018 8:21 pm to try and get this a bit more on track...
Loaded out rubis are in transit at 53-55k to my local :dillerman: which is pretty fucking wild.

I am still thinking I may sahara. If you get the "optional" wheels on the sahara it changes the tires from all season to all terrain. Which is a very worthy upgrade. The base tires on the sahara are terrible.
What are the base Sahara tires? They’re probably better for mall duty honestly.
Johnny_P

[user not found] wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2018 9:11 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2018 7:38 pm

Hah. Yeah no way.
We’re blowing out CPO 335xis at 32-35k.

Let that sink in.
Oh wow
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

troyguitar wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2018 4:14 pm I can't imagine that the average buyer today actually enjoys the :dillerman: game. Maybe the average male buyer over the age of 50.
That's a hard :nope: from an average male buyer over the age of 50.
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
max225
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

Johnny_P wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2018 10:08 pm

No seasons
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Ford Party ST

wap wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2018 10:23 pm
troyguitar wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2018 4:14 pm I can't imagine that the average buyer today actually enjoys the :dillerman: game. Maybe the average male buyer over the age of 50.
That's a hard :nope: from an average male buyer over the age of 50.
I enjoy the :dillerman: game, but I realize I’m in the minority on that.
As the only published author in a well-known motorcycle publication in the room...
Davestr
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Drives: 17 M2 14 M235

No need for a 'game'. Its a purchase like any other. The game is utterly time wasted...
Melon
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Blue things, Orange thing

Davestr wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2018 7:32 am No need for a 'game'. Its a purchase like any other. The game is utterly time wasted...
But how else can I go on the internet and tell all these avatars and signatures on a website how superior my intellect is by swindling the swindlers?
4zilch wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:46 am I'm a fucking failure.
Davestr
Drives: 17 M2 14 M235

Melon wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2018 8:05 am
Davestr wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2018 7:32 am No need for a 'game'. Its a purchase like any other. The game is utterly time wasted...
But how else can I go on the internet and tell all these avatars and signatures on a website how superior my intellect is by swindling the swindlers?
The pricing data for something 1 or 2 year used is way way more accurate and public than new. From auction numbers to publications. Its very hard to say buying new is smart at all now. Im thinking my days of doing that are numbered...
Melon
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Blue things, Orange thing

Davestr wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2018 8:10 am
Melon wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2018 8:05 am

The pricing data for something 1 or 2 year used is way way more accurate and public than new. From auction numbers to publications. Its very hard to say buying new is smart at all now. Im thinking my days of doing that are numbered...
Unless the color you want is only available on a new model year...

:D
4zilch wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:46 am I'm a fucking failure.
Johnny_P

max225 wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2018 10:45 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2018 10:08 pm

No seasons
What are you going to be doing that requires more than no seasons? They'll be better at 99% of your driving scenarios than off road tires will. The other 1% in Death Valley you'll just have to pick your lines more carefully but your Muricabarge Suburban did fine there so :iono:
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Johnny_P wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2018 9:05 am

No seasons
What are you going to be doing that requires more than no seasons? They'll be better at 99% of your driving scenarios than off road tires will. The other 1% in Death Valley you'll just have to pick your lines more carefully but your Muricabarge Suburban did fine there so :iono:
It sure would suck to have to get out on the side of the freeway and put chains on a Jeep when going to Tahoe.. I go up that way enough times a year to make it a requirement to have tires that can handle snow.
Johnny_P

CorvetteWaxer wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2018 10:34 am

It sure would suck to have to get out on the side of the freeway and put chains on a Jeep when going to Tahoe.. I go up that way enough times a year to make it a requirement to have tires that can handle snow.
"I might drive to Tahoe once in my life, I better buy AT tires" is about as stupid an argument as "I live in Philadelphia where it snows twice a season, I better buy snow tires"
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Johnny_P wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2018 10:39 am
CorvetteWaxer wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2018 10:34 am

"I might drive to Tahoe once in my life, I better buy AT tires" is about as stupid an argument as "I live in Philadelphia where it snows twice a season, I better buy snow tires"
Spouting opinions on shit you are clueless about is a stupid idea.

Maybe out there you drive in the snow and nobody give a shit, here if you try to get over the pass without M+S tires or chains the CalTrans guys and the CHP pull your ass over at the checkpoint.

I live a couple hours from said checkpoint (and so does Max), and I know he's been there a few times... I go 4-5 times a year in the snow.

So, kindly fuck right off about your opinions on this and your slanted comments about how I spend my money on paint correction and protection. Do I come out and tell you you're a fuckhead for everything stupid I think you do? No.. If you'd like, the list is long and I can do so.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain
Drives: straight past the apex

CorvetteWaxer wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2018 10:56 am

So, kindly fuck right off about your opinions on this and your slanted comments about how I spend my money on paint correction and protection. Do I come out and tell you you're a fuckhead for everything stupid I think you do? No.. If you'd like, the list is long and I can do so.
but maybe you should # :wasteful:
brain go brrrrrr
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Ford Party ST

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2018 11:02 am

:potstirring:
As the only published author in a well-known motorcycle publication in the room...
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain
Drives: straight past the apex

4zilch wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2018 11:15 am
Big Brain Bradley wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2018 11:02 am

:potstirring:
#contentgeneration
brain go brrrrrr
max225

No seasons
Some validity here but why would I compromise for $895? This thing is already 47k equipped how I like it.

The all seasons come on hideous wheels too, which I literally can’t stand.

I think the rubicon tires are too much for me, but the all seasons are certainly compromising in a way that makes little sense. The a/t tires strike the perfect compromise ?!
I still have to drive a Rubi to see if it takes away from the DD comfort in a significant way.
max225

Bacially the all seasons kill the main selling points of a Jeep.
Btw when I was in Hawaii I popped the all seasons on my way to “Hanna” since I was driving the Jeep like a douche. Then I was stuck replacing them in the middle of no where at night. And I could never figure out what popped it... pretty sure it was a rock that somehow slit it open.
Last edited by max225 on Wed Jan 31, 2018 11:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Johnny_P

Johnny_P wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2018 10:39 am

Maybe out there you drive in the snow and nobody give a shit, here if you try to get over the pass without M+S tires or chains the CalTrans guys and the CHP pull your ass over at the checkpoint.

I live a couple hours from said checkpoint (and so does Max), and I know he's been there a few times... I go 4-5 times a year in the snow.

I've seen the checkpoints broseph. I don't see how it's that big of a deal to put chains on your car a couple times a year and endure the shitty braking, handling, and grip levels of AT tires the entire rest of the year. But to each their own, whatever floats your boat.
max225

Johnny_P wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2018 11:36 am

I've seen the checkpoints broseph. I don't see how it's that big of a deal to put chains on your car a couple times a year and endure the shitty braking, handling, and grip levels of AT tires the entire rest of the year. But to each their own, whatever floats your boat.
You’re already getting all that when buying the Jeep, why not go with the tires that don’t compromise it for the few times you will use it as such ?
Johnny_P

max225 wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2018 11:22 am Bacially the all seasons kill the main selling points of a Jeep.
Btw when I was in Hawaii I popped the all seasons on my way to “Hanna” since I was driving the Jeep like a douche. Then I was stuck replacing them in the middle of no where at night. And count never figure out what popped it... pretty sure it was a rock that somehow slit it open.
See now this is a more valid reason than some checkpoint en route to some place you'll never go. If you have the AT tires you're more inclined to explore new places or go off road and such and I totally understand that.
Johnny_P

max225 wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2018 11:38 am
Johnny_P wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2018 11:36 am

You’re already getting all that when buying the Jeep, why not go with the tires that don’t compromise it for the few times you will use it as such ?
Truth in this statement. I mean I'd want AT tires on it with the hopes that I'd go exploring off road every so often in the pine barrens or wherever that are notoriously muddy and littered with tree roots. But I wouldn't exclude the Sahara based only on its tires because I know the actual chances of me off roading through a giant mud bog are slim to none where the chances of me driving on bare clean asphalt are about 99.9999% every day.

Reality is I bought "I SHALL NOT COMPROMISE!" tires for my car for a similar 2-5 times a year there is snow, only to endure the major drawbacks of said tires every fucking other day that I'm not driving through snowmageddon. Just saying there could be a significant benefit to tires that are better suited for the majority of driving you'll actually do.
max225

I think getting AS on the Jeep is like getting winter tires on an STI and driving on them in the summer and or on random auto x events. It creates a needless compromise.

I think you’re a little confused by my initial point.
There are 3 sets of tires offered on the heep.
The as tires are literally minivan tires they come stock on the sport and Sahara.
The “upgraded” AT tires are similar to something you’d get on a trd taco and should not be much worse than the no seasons for DD purposes and do plenty fine for anything I’d ever throw at it. While the no seasons would still have comprises.
The rubicon tires are very very serious off road tires but jeep said they put a shit ton of research into them for the JL and they are far more streetable than the JK tires. They were specifically developed with the fact that many mall the jeeps in mind while still being super off road capable. Here the question is do they ride significantly worse than the ATs for me at least. Something I don’t know yet