Car Talk 2: Un-American Motor Company.

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
Johnny_P
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue short bus

[user not found] wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2017 11:25 am Also, BMW is offering some real :scrooge: employee leases on i3's right now.

87/mo for 1st payment down, 10k/yr.

:notbad:

If I was to continue working at BMW, I'd certainly consider it.
They're neat cars. Lease is the way to go on these, not purchase. But remember you need to install the charger for it to be usable which isn't exactly free.
Gberg2119
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: W///

I really like the look of the 7.5. I thought I read a while back the sunroof would be optional on SE but I guess that's wrong. A 7.5 SE with cloth and no sunroof would've been amazing.

Those new dallas ramz are :gag: doe.
Johnny_P

[user not found] wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2017 11:33 am
Johnny_P wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2017 11:30 am

They're neat cars. Lease is the way to go on these, not purchase. But remember you need to install the charger for it to be usable which isn't exactly free.
Charger at work - I could legitimately park at work and charge fo' free.

Operating costs would be legendarily cheap.
Wat if you change jerbs doe
Johnny_P

Gberg2119 wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2017 11:33 am I really like the look of the 7.5. I thought I read a while back the sunroof would be optional on SE but I guess that's wrong. A 7.5 SE with cloth and no sunroof would've been amazing.

Those new dallas ramz are :gag: doe.
I think the machined face giant 5 spokers are starting to look rather played out, personally. Front looks like a MK7 to me :iono: maybe just new lights?

New colors are good. Sad it doesn't get the 7DCT.
Davestr
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Drives: 17 M2 14 M235

[user not found] wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2017 11:33 am
Johnny_P wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2017 11:30 am

Charger at work - I could legitimately park at work and charge fo' free.

Operating costs would be legendarily cheap.
Thats an awfully nice transpo option G. You sure leaving das beemah is good. Long commute etc etc.
Davestr

[/quote] JohnnyP

$30,500 for the one worth getting with a real diff and brakes doe :sad:
+$850 destination and add rape fee and VIN etching and first aid kits and the :wtf: $230 rubber floor mats and you're over $32k.

Sounds rather expensive for a car that depreciates hard, no?
[/quote]

Yo but dat green.....love it! :like:
troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Trek Domane

Green looks good. Eliminating the Sport trim is lame.

I don't understand how $32k+ is reasonable pricing for a GTI, but perhaps I just hate FWD too much? That's 230i or WRX PP pricing... :wtf:
Johnny_P

troyguitar wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2017 12:36 pm Green looks good. Eliminating the Sport trim is lame.

I don't understand how $32k+ is reasonable pricing for a GTI, but perhaps I just hate FWD too much? That's 230i or WRX PP pricing... :wtf:
Yeah seems high to me as well. But if they continue putting $3-4K on the hood i guess that’s fine.
fledonfoot
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Taco Truk | Power Wheels Heep

Looks like I lucked out. Nogaro wheels, no sunroof, PP and plaid interior, and cheap.
Davestr

[user not found] wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2017 12:53 pm
Davestr wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2017 12:31 pm

Thats an awfully nice transpo option G. You sure leaving das beemah is good. Long commute etc etc.
If the pay is right the new job will be a good move.

Sales jobs aren’t going to be around in their current form for too much longer I think.

Plus BMW buyers in this area suck.
:like:
troyguitar

Davestr wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2017 12:31 pm

Sales jobs aren’t going to be around in their current form for too much longer I think.

BMW buyers are BMW drivers... :science: :mindblown: :themoreyouknow:
fledonfoot
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

troyguitar wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2017 1:39 pm

BMW buyers are :amir:
FTFY
fledonfoot
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

[user not found] wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2017 1:55 pm
fledonfoot wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2017 1:50 pm
FTFY
They know they're getting a good deal when the :dillerman: :rage: begins.
So just go in acting like a raging asshole at first pencil.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

So I'm using Turo for the first time this week. The Bang Bus is at the shop where it was built getting some carpentry work done. I'm in San Antonio hanging out/supervising.

I got a 2007 A6 3.2 Quattro for a little over half of the cheapest rental car from one of the agencies. So far it's been pretty cool, the dude I rented it from owns a Euro shop, so this is an extra loaner car. I would never buy this car but it's pretty enjoyable to be in compared to a regular rental. It was fun driving in the rain and just flooring it from a stop. AWD+automatic is pretty quick off the line in the rain.
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

Johnny_P wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2017 9:56 pm
wap wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2017 9:25 pm

:dat:
It’s also styled after a pregnant yacht
:wat: :hellno:
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

fledonfoot wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2017 1:13 pm Looks like I lucked out. Nogaro wheels, no sunroof, PP and plaid interior, and cheap.
:like: :like:
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
Gberg2119
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: W///

2018 Miata's are getting some nice upgrades. Recarbro seats is the most notable. I love the car and wish I could fit in one but damn.

$33,625 for a Miata Club with the brembro, recarbro, BBS package. That's a lot to swallow.
New for 2018:
The 2018 Mazda MX-5 Miata soft top offers a variety of new color choices, with an available Dark Cherry soft top; Auburn Nappa leather interior; and Soul Red Crystal and Machine Gray Metallic premium exterior paint options
MX-5 Club with Brembo/BBS Package adds heated, black, leather-trimmed seats
Heated, RECARO sport seats headline new Brembo/BBS RECARO Package
MAZDA CONNECT infotainment system standard on MX-5 Sport
2018 MX-5 soft top goes on sale nationwide beginning January 2018 with a starting MSRP[1] of $25,295

IRVINE, Calif. (December 20, 2017) – In the spirit of the holiday season, Mazda North American Operations (MNAO) today announced design, functional and performance updates to the 2018 Mazda MX-5 soft top models, furthering MX-5’s mission to provide one of the best-driving cars in the world regardless of price point.

For 2018, customers will have the option to choose between a new Dark Cherry or Black soft top. Additionally, an Auburn-colored interior and Nappa leather seating surfaces are available in MX-5 Grand Touring models, which was previously only offered in the MX-5 RF Launch Edition.

While MX-5 is already known for its handling prowess, the soft top’s rear suspension and power steering have been retuned to provide an even more surefooted ride. These improvements also help suppress unwanted cabin noise.

As in the past, there’s an MX-5 for every kind of customer with three trim levels available. The entry-level MX-5 Sport represents the purest distillation of the MX-5 formula, while MX-5 Club is harder-edged, and MX-5 Grand Touring represents the most sophisticated option.

For 2018, MX-5 Sport adds a newly standard MAZDA CONNECTTM infotainment system with 7-inch full-color touchscreen display, multi-function Commander and HD Radio connectivity. Additional features in the MX-5 Sport include LED headlights and tail lights, cloth bucket seats, leather-wrapped shift knob and handbrake, Bluetooth phone pairing and audio streaming, dual cupholders and one USB port to interface with the audio system. Mazda Advanced Keyless Entry is also newly standard on all models, as it was previously an option on manual-transmission-equipped models.

MX-5 Club introduces newly heated cloth seats with red stitching, and it also comes standard with 17-inch dark gunmetal aluminum alloy wheels, a BOSE® 9-speaker Premium audio system, including driver and passenger headrest speakers. MX-5 Club’s upgrades over MX-5 Sport include two USB ports and Blind Spot Monitoring with Rear Cross-Traffic Alert. Models equipped with the six-speed SKYACTIV-MT manual transmission feature Bilstein shocks, a limited-slip differential and a shock tower brace.

Available for MX-5 Club models is the Brembo/BBS Package, which now includes heated, black leather-trimmed seats, replacing the standard cloth seats. The features aerodynamic side still extensions, a rear bumper skirt, forged 17-inch BBS wheels and front Brembo brakes that provide greater heat tolerances in heavy braking. The new model year also ushers in the new Brembo/BBS RECARO Package that builds on the Brembo/BBS Package and substitutes the leather-trimmed seats for heated, RECARO sport seats.

MX-5 Grand Touring comes standard with heated, leather-trimmed seats, automatic climate control, automatic on/off headlights, High Beam Control with Adaptive Front-lighting System, Lane Departure Warning, auto-dimming rearview mirror, navigation, rain-sensing windshield wipers and additional sound absorption material in its cloth headliner, among a much longer list of creature-comfort features.

In addition to the Dark Cherry soft top and Auburn Nappa leather interior options, the 2018 MX-5 offers the newly available paint colors Eternal Blue Mica, Snowflake White Peal Mica and Soul Red Crystal. Machine Gray Metallic, which was previously only available on MX-5 RF retractable fastback models, also joins the color palette. All MX-5 models sold in the U.S. come with a quick-revving, 2.0-liter SKYACTIV-G engine that delivers 155 horsepower. Power is routed to the rear wheels via a six-speed SKYACTIV-MT manual transmission or an available six-speed automatic with paddle shifters.

MSRP[2] for MX-5 soft top models is as follows:
6-Speed Manual Transmission 6-Speed Automatic Transmission
MX-5 Sport $25,295 $26,645
MX-5 Club $29,155 $29,755
• Club Brembo/BBS Package (6MT Only) $3,770
• Club Brembo/BBS RECARO Package (6MT Only) $4,470
MX-5 Grand Touring $30,195 $31,270

Premium interior color (MX-5 Grand Touring only):
Auburn Nappa Leather $300

Premium paint colors:
Soul Red Crystal $595
Machine Gray Metallic $300
Snowflake White Pearl Mica $200

The 2018 MX-5 soft top begins arriving at dealerships at the end of December and will be available nationwide in January. Pricing and packaging information for the 2018 Mazda MX-5 RF will be announced at a later date.

[1] [2] MSRP does not include $890 for destination and handling ($935 in Alaska), taxes, title or additional fees. Dealers set actual sale prices.
Desertbreh

Gberg2119 wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2017 7:24 pm 2018 Miata's are getting some nice upgrades. Recarbro seats is the most notable. I love the car and wish I could fit in one but damn.

$33,625 for a Miata Club with the brembro, recarbro, BBS package. That's a lot to swallow.
New for 2018:
The 2018 Mazda MX-5 Miata soft top offers a variety of new color choices, with an available Dark Cherry soft top; Auburn Nappa leather interior; and Soul Red Crystal and Machine Gray Metallic premium exterior paint options
MX-5 Club with Brembo/BBS Package adds heated, black, leather-trimmed seats
Heated, RECARO sport seats headline new Brembo/BBS RECARO Package
MAZDA CONNECT infotainment system standard on MX-5 Sport
2018 MX-5 soft top goes on sale nationwide beginning January 2018 with a starting MSRP[1] of $25,295

IRVINE, Calif. (December 20, 2017) – In the spirit of the holiday season, Mazda North American Operations (MNAO) today announced design, functional and performance updates to the 2018 Mazda MX-5 soft top models, furthering MX-5’s mission to provide one of the best-driving cars in the world regardless of price point.

For 2018, customers will have the option to choose between a new Dark Cherry or Black soft top. Additionally, an Auburn-colored interior and Nappa leather seating surfaces are available in MX-5 Grand Touring models, which was previously only offered in the MX-5 RF Launch Edition.

While MX-5 is already known for its handling prowess, the soft top’s rear suspension and power steering have been retuned to provide an even more surefooted ride. These improvements also help suppress unwanted cabin noise.

As in the past, there’s an MX-5 for every kind of customer with three trim levels available. The entry-level MX-5 Sport represents the purest distillation of the MX-5 formula, while MX-5 Club is harder-edged, and MX-5 Grand Touring represents the most sophisticated option.

For 2018, MX-5 Sport adds a newly standard MAZDA CONNECTTM infotainment system with 7-inch full-color touchscreen display, multi-function Commander and HD Radio connectivity. Additional features in the MX-5 Sport include LED headlights and tail lights, cloth bucket seats, leather-wrapped shift knob and handbrake, Bluetooth phone pairing and audio streaming, dual cupholders and one USB port to interface with the audio system. Mazda Advanced Keyless Entry is also newly standard on all models, as it was previously an option on manual-transmission-equipped models.

MX-5 Club introduces newly heated cloth seats with red stitching, and it also comes standard with 17-inch dark gunmetal aluminum alloy wheels, a BOSE® 9-speaker Premium audio system, including driver and passenger headrest speakers. MX-5 Club’s upgrades over MX-5 Sport include two USB ports and Blind Spot Monitoring with Rear Cross-Traffic Alert. Models equipped with the six-speed SKYACTIV-MT manual transmission feature Bilstein shocks, a limited-slip differential and a shock tower brace.

Available for MX-5 Club models is the Brembo/BBS Package, which now includes heated, black leather-trimmed seats, replacing the standard cloth seats. The features aerodynamic side still extensions, a rear bumper skirt, forged 17-inch BBS wheels and front Brembo brakes that provide greater heat tolerances in heavy braking. The new model year also ushers in the new Brembo/BBS RECARO Package that builds on the Brembo/BBS Package and substitutes the leather-trimmed seats for heated, RECARO sport seats.

MX-5 Grand Touring comes standard with heated, leather-trimmed seats, automatic climate control, automatic on/off headlights, High Beam Control with Adaptive Front-lighting System, Lane Departure Warning, auto-dimming rearview mirror, navigation, rain-sensing windshield wipers and additional sound absorption material in its cloth headliner, among a much longer list of creature-comfort features.

In addition to the Dark Cherry soft top and Auburn Nappa leather interior options, the 2018 MX-5 offers the newly available paint colors Eternal Blue Mica, Snowflake White Peal Mica and Soul Red Crystal. Machine Gray Metallic, which was previously only available on MX-5 RF retractable fastback models, also joins the color palette. All MX-5 models sold in the U.S. come with a quick-revving, 2.0-liter SKYACTIV-G engine that delivers 155 horsepower. Power is routed to the rear wheels via a six-speed SKYACTIV-MT manual transmission or an available six-speed automatic with paddle shifters.

MSRP[2] for MX-5 soft top models is as follows:
6-Speed Manual Transmission 6-Speed Automatic Transmission
MX-5 Sport $25,295 $26,645
MX-5 Club $29,155 $29,755
• Club Brembo/BBS Package (6MT Only) $3,770
• Club Brembo/BBS RECARO Package (6MT Only) $4,470
MX-5 Grand Touring $30,195 $31,270

Premium interior color (MX-5 Grand Touring only):
Auburn Nappa Leather $300

Premium paint colors:
Soul Red Crystal $595
Machine Gray Metallic $300
Snowflake White Pearl Mica $200

The 2018 MX-5 soft top begins arriving at dealerships at the end of December and will be available nationwide in January. Pricing and packaging information for the 2018 Mazda MX-5 RF will be announced at a later date.

[1] [2] MSRP does not include $890 for destination and handling ($935 in Alaska), taxes, title or additional fees. Dealers set actual sale prices.
It's a lot more car than it used to be doe.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
troyguitar

You forgot the destination charge, it's basically $35k for a club with recarbros.

Really cool car :doe:

If they would offer it in a real fucking color it would be amazing.
NEEK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: DIESEL BRODOZER, R53 JCW

*reserved for no content*
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

troyguitar wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2017 7:55 pm You forgot the destination charge, it's basically $35k for a club with recarbros.

:word:

I started reading, saw new colors, got excited, then they lost me at "something something gray something" :whocares: They already had gray.
troyguitar

D Griff wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2017 9:29 pm
troyguitar wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2017 7:55 pm You forgot the destination charge, it's basically $35k for a club with recarbros.

I started reading, saw new colors, got excited, then they lost me at "something something gray something" :whocares: They already had gray.
They added a new gray and a new white... and a blah-ish blue that, like their "Soul Red," only looks good in very good lighting conditions.

troyguitar

Just finished cutting off a frozen front sway bar link on the Vibe. Tomorrow it goes in for the Takata passenger air bag recall replacement. When I sell this thing, someone is going to get a hell of a car for next to nothing.
Davestr

D Griff wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2017 2:08 pm So I'm using Turo for the first time this week. The Bang Bus is at the shop where it was built getting some carpentry work done. I'm in San Antonio hanging out/supervising.

I got a 2007 A6 3.2 Quattro for a little over half of the cheapest rental car from one of the agencies. So far it's been pretty cool, the dude I rented it from owns a Euro shop, so this is an extra loaner car. I would never buy this car but it's pretty enjoyable to be in compared to a regular rental. It was fun driving in the rain and just flooring it from a stop. AWD+automatic is pretty quick off the line in the rain.
:like:
Johnny_P

troyguitar wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2017 9:34 pm
D Griff wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2017 9:29 pm

They added a new gray and a new white... and a blah-ish blue that, like their "Soul Red," only looks good in very good lighting conditions.

Mazda's colors suck, flat out. Even the red sucks. Their cars look pretty good with organic shapes and smooth, clean lines but they put these drab colors on them that make them fade into anonymity in the real world. The new blue is a gray-blue. The old blue might as well just be black. Everything else is a shade of despair.

Also. Now that I've seen the new CX-5 in the wild (they're quite popular in the city) I can say for certain that I much prefer the exterior styling of the old one. The front bumper looks awkward with gigantic "cheeks" and the rear 3/4 is all fucked up with a bulbous ass and these tiny tail lights. The interior on the other hand, the new one knocks it out of the park for sure.