Do you even invest?

Off-topic? You mean on-topic!
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

Melon wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2017 10:45 am
D Griff wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2017 10:33 am I'd rather gamble in LV :doe: , at least then I'm hammered when I lose it all.
And I'd rather gamble on crypto currencies.

I like the idea of them, they're fascinating, and If I make a few bucks along the way. :fuckyeah:

I'm not giving up on my traditional investments, not at all, this is more of a side show. Besides, can't goto the moon, if you're not on the rocket.
What you're doing, I get. It's fun gambling. I think you've been realistic about it along the way.

I just want to hear why :crang: thinks it'll be worth $1 million and why he isn't buying if that's the case.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

I'd still sell at this point :doe: , but of course I could be wrong, it could double in price before the bubble bursts.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

But this is why it's so much like gambling.

If I'm playing craps, the thrill of the win is so exhilarating. Watching the money pile up, doubling, tripling the money I came to the table with, is intoxicating and I always want moar... Then I start losing, and think "man, I was at $300 before, I can get back up there" then it's "well, I came to this table with $100, I can get back up there" and next thing I know I'm walking away with zero. This emotion is what makes us human.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

D Griff wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2017 10:33 am
nuggstein wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2017 9:59 am

When I say it's cheap, I mean it's cheap. To buy portions of it. I have a feeling it will hit 20k soon, eventually 50k, 100k, possibly even 1 mil. That's why it's "cheap". My coworker's boyfriend just bought 1 Bitcoin around $12,000 over the weekend.

It's now at $15,900.

Actually it juts broke $16,000 and is now $16,140. It went up $200 as I typed this post.

My mom gave me $100 to put in @ $4800. Now her investment is over $350.

My $5 referral bonus back in 2013 is now worth over $85.

Actually now it's $16,272.
:bruh:

$1 million? How? Why? What in the fuck makes you think that? It's a literally useless thing. The "value" is based solely on hype. It WILL crash. Now, sure, it could hit $20k or even $50k first, but it will crash and everyone in it will lose all of it. It has no real value whatsoever. Anyone that's making money on it, cool. You can make money on the Las Vegas strip too, but more people will lose ultimately. That's how gambling works, BTC is a gamble, not an investment.

I'd rather gamble in LV :doe: , at least then I'm hammered when I lose it all.
:dat:

It's such classic bubble mentality.

The real issue is the price volatility will keep major, legitimate companies from accepting payment universally. Selling a coffee of bagel is low risk...but a car or house? Not going to happen. Volatility will ultimately be the death of it once people realize that it's inherently worthless.

Then there's the fact that it takes more power than the country of Denmark consumes to keep the system going, and it's just a ticking time bomb.

Cryptocurrency will be here to stay in one form or another, but once this bubble bursts, it'll go back to being solely for international drug dealers and trolls.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
nuggstein
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Drives: 2012 GTI

Detroit wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2017 10:55 am

$1 million? How? Why? What in the fuck makes you think that? It's a literally useless thing. The "value" is based solely on hype. It WILL crash. Now, sure, it could hit $20k or even $50k first, but it will crash and everyone in it will lose all of it. It has no real value whatsoever. Anyone that's making money on it, cool. You can make money on the Las Vegas strip too, but more people will lose ultimately. That's how gambling works, BTC is a gamble, not an investment.

The real issue is the price volatility will keep major, legitimate companies from accepting payment universally. Selling a coffee of bagel is low risk...but a car or house? Not going to happen. Volatility will ultimately be the death of it once people realize that it's inherently worthless.

Then there's the fact that it takes more power than the country of Denmark consumes to keep the system going, and it's just a ticking time bomb.

Cryptocurrency will be here to stay in one form or another, but once this bubble bursts, it'll go back to being solely for international drug dealers and trolls.
Except for the car dealerships that accept Bitcoin as payment... https://themerkle.com/buy-a-lamborghini ... ort-beach/

And this woman who just purchased property with Bitcoin: https://www.market4cast.net/single-post ... d-in-Texas

https://www.cnbc.com/2017/10/16/bitcoin ... state.html

Buy property with cryptocurrency... http://bitcoin-realestate.com/
:crang:
nuggstein

nuggstein wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2017 9:59 am

When I say it's cheap, I mean it's cheap. To buy portions of it. I have a feeling it will hit 20k soon, eventually 50k, 100k, possibly even 1 mil. That's why it's "cheap". My coworker's boyfriend just bought 1 Bitcoin around $12,000 over the weekend.

It's now at $15,900.

Actually it juts broke $16,000 and is now $16,140. It went up $200 as I typed this post.

My mom gave me $100 to put in @ $4800. Now her investment is over $350.

My $5 referral bonus back in 2013 is now worth over $85.

Actually now it's $16,272.

Bitcoin was worth $0.003 in 2009 or something. You would've said the same thing if someone said it would hit $10, or from $10 to $100. or from $1000 to $10,000...but look now.

D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

nuggstein wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2017 11:08 am

Bitcoin was worth $0.003 in 2009 or something. You would've said the same thing if someone said it would hit $10, or from $10 to $100. or from $1000 to $10,000...but look now.
You didn't read all of what I wrote, sure, it could get to $20k, $50k, $100k (pretty unlikely, IMO), but then it will burst and everyone in it will lose all of their "investment".

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dot-com_bubble

It could be an awesome "investment" for the person who sells at precisely the right time :doe:

I just know because I've gambled before that I'd be the person to hold on until it shits the bed.
nuggstein

$17,300.
nuggstein

D Griff wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2017 11:12 am
nuggstein wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2017 11:08 am
You didn't read all of what I wrote, sure, it could get to $20k, $50k, $100k (pretty unlikely, IMO), but then it will burst and everyone in it will lose all of their "investment".

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dot-com_bubble

It could be an awesome "investment" for the person who sells at precisely the right time :doe:

I just know because I've gambled before that I'd be the person to hold on until it shits the bed.
How is it useless? It's literally a currency...an internet currency, that is used GLOBALLY, can be converted into ANY other physical currency or cryptocurrency, and can be used to purchase physical or virtual items. It avoids the government, and it avoids banks.
ChrisoftheNorth

nuggstein wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2017 11:04 am
Detroit wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2017 10:55 am

Except for the car dealerships that accept Bitcoin as payment... https://themerkle.com/buy-a-lamborghini ... ort-beach/

And this woman who just purchased property with Bitcoin: https://www.market4cast.net/single-post ... d-in-Texas

https://www.cnbc.com/2017/10/16/bitcoin ... state.html

Buy property with cryptocurrency... http://bitcoin-realestate.com/
These are one-off instances where the seller was dumb enough to accept it. And in this market, it makes sense that you'd find some people willing to take the risk.

Think about it.

Sell property for 1 BTC = 15,000 USD or whatever. The next day, it's worth 10,000 USD. You just lost $5k on your property sale. Sure the next day it could go to $18k and you just made $3k, but there's too much uncertainty for most people to take on. Trading physical property for digital money (aka worthless) is super risky no matter how you look at it.

Currency valuation is a major line item of revenue/loss in corporate accounting. This will keep BTC out of the mainstream for a long time.

Major companies and corporations won't be willing to take on the risk universally for anything more than coffee and donuts until the price stabilizes for a while. And that doesn't seem likely for a while.

BTC is one major hack away from being the butt of VH1 "Remember 2017" jokes in 2020.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
Melon
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Blue things, Orange thing

There is some good philosophy behind it, but this is ridiculous growth that;s synonymous with a bubble.
It's a fun ride, and I'm REALLY tempted to pull my initial investment out, and let the rest ride, but don't get too fan boi into this.
4zilch wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:46 am I'm a fucking failure.
Johnny_P
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue short bus

Anyone got stock they're looking at buying into? I just gave up on an aluminum company that's been struggling for a bit and want to put it into :hubba: something that'll perform better. Tempted to just by more stock in Lockheed Martin or Northrop.
ChrisoftheNorth

Johnny_P wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2017 11:24 am Anyone got stock they're looking at buying into? I just gave up on an aluminum company that's been struggling for a bit and want to put it into :hubba: something that'll perform better. Tempted to just by more stock in Lockheed Martin or Northrop.
Unless you're looking to play, I'd just dump it into an index or something.
ChrisoftheNorth

I'm also seriously considering shorting bitcoin futures. I'm probably too risk averse, doe...the bubble popping is just too hard to predict.
Johnny_P

Detroit wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2017 11:25 am I'm also seriously considering shorting bitcoin futures. I'm probably too risk averse, doe...the bubble popping is just too hard to predict.
So invest $3k. If it pops you'll lose half before you pull it out. If it doesn't pop you'll gain a bit.
ChrisoftheNorth

Johnny_P wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2017 11:30 am
Detroit wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2017 11:25 am I'm also seriously considering shorting bitcoin futures. I'm probably too risk averse, doe...the bubble popping is just too hard to predict.
So invest $3k. If it pops you'll lose half before you pull it out. If it doesn't pop you'll gain a bit.
Right. I may have to play with it.
Johnny_P

Detroit wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2017 11:32 am
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2017 11:30 am

Just know going into it that you have a chance of losing whatever your initial investment is. Make it a reasonable amount. :iono:
ChrisoftheNorth

Johnny_P wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2017 11:35 am
Detroit wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2017 11:32 am
Just know going into it that you have a chance of losing whatever your initial investment is. Make it a reasonable amount. :iono:
Oh totally.
troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Trek Domane

It still boggles my mind that y'all have thousands of dollars to gamble with like that. :jalepenis:
ChrisoftheNorth

troyguitar wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2017 11:41 am It still boggles my mind that y'all have thousands of dollars to gamble with like that. :jalepenis:
It all depends how stingy you want to be with your savings. With a healthy "slush fund", losing a few K isn't the end of the world.
Johnny_P

Paging :crang: : How do you even buy into something like that?
Last edited by Johnny_P on Thu Dec 07, 2017 11:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Johnny_P

troyguitar wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2017 11:41 am It still boggles my mind that y'all have thousands of dollars to gamble with like that. :jalepenis:
You do too, you just choose to gamble at a much lower risk level with your retirement accounts.
rockchops
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class

troyguitar wrote:It still boggles my mind that y'all have thousands of dollars to gamble with like that. :jalepenis:
I didn't until I bitcoined.
ChrisoftheNorth

Johnny_P wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2017 11:46 am Paging :crang: : How do you even buy into something like that?
He doesn't. It's why he constantly posts about it as he laments the fact that others are getting rich for doing nothing ( :millennial: dream) and he's not.
Melon
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Blue things, Orange thing

60+ hours a week for three months has left me with a little extra spending money.
4zilch wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:46 am I'm a fucking failure.