Dem bicicletas, doe

Health, fitness, and nutrition freaks, lets see those gainz.
Johnny_P
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue short bus

Gberg2119 wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2017 8:13 pm
fledonfoot wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2017 7:59 pm

not even close.
How late into fall do you usually ride?
I ride on weekends if it's decent throughout the winter.
Johnny_P

[user not found] wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2017 10:58 pm

Depends on how much I wanna suffer. :iono:

It's stayed fairly nice all the way into December the last couple years.
:dat:

Knee warmers, arm warmers, base layer, vest, jacket, etc.... Mix and match and you can ride down to like 32 degrees comfortably. Beyond that and toes and fingers really start to get cold.
Johnny_P

[user not found] wrote: Wed Nov 01, 2017 9:11 am I stop riding around 40 degrees, really.
Yeah below that and you're adding a lot of layers to stay above freezing.

I do have jackets and shit doe, and can ride down to about 30-32. If it snows I like to take the MTB out for a fun scenic ride.
Apex
Drives: Abominable

When it gets too cold for under armor I guess I'll stop riding for the season then?
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

fledonfoot wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2017 7:59 pm

not even close.
The average high in January in Charlotte is about 50, so I will be able to ride some weekends in the afternoon all year which is pretty :fuckyeah: , especially since we get time off at New Year's and Christmas.

I'm planning to head into the mountains Saturday for some riding, supposedly the NC mountains have some of the best trails in the US. Hopefully the rain can hold off until Saturday evening.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

Well, we missed out on checking out the places up in the mountains due to rain. Twas still quite a fun day, went for a ride at Lake Norman State Park locally, which is one of the better places in the Charlotte area. It started raining about half way through and was very slippery with all the leaves fallen, but still fun. Slow.

Then we drove up to the mountains to :stig: the :poorvette: , go for a hike, walk around Boone and get a few beers there.

:notbad: I'm hoping to try out some of the mountains places around thanksgiving though.

Gberg2119
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: W///

Any of you fools riding this weekend? Sunday looks to be the better day at 50 degrees.

And JohnnyW, how come you don't look at Diamondback? I never knew diamondback made high end stuff but I saw one of those youtubers is sponsored by them and the components on them are the same as other high end bikes.

http://www.jensonusa.com/Diamondback-Mi ... e=EM110817

Apex

Gberg2119 wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2017 9:09 pm Any of you fools riding this weekend? Sunday looks to be the better day at 50 degrees.

And JohnnyW, how come you don't look at Diamondback? I never knew diamondback made high end stuff but I saw one of those youtubers is sponsored by them and the components on them are the same as other high end bikes.

I can't ride Saturday, but might be able to do Sunday.
fledonfoot
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Taco Truk | Power Wheels Heep

Gberg2119 wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2017 9:09 pm Any of you fools riding this weekend? Sunday looks to be the better day at 50 degrees.

I might be riding sunday depending on the hangover
Johnny_P

[user not found] wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2017 11:48 pm I'm away this weekend for some :drunk: decompression time.
mudcamping?
Apex

Johnny_P wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2017 11:11 am
[user not found] wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2017 11:48 pm I'm away this weekend for some :drunk: decompression time.
mudcamping?
:trukyeah:
Johnny_P

Nothing necessarily bad about this bike, but I doubt that it pedals and handles as well as the others. Might all be hogwash doe, and honestly it's probably more down to the rider than the bike anyway. [user not found] would be faster than me on this bike even if I were riding a $10k Pivot.

I'd say it really doesn't matter much if you're looking at a hardtail. Full suspension adds a new dimension, and things like frame stiffness and rear suspension spring curves and such really matter. A FS bike from 10 years ago rides very differently than a more recent one.
Apex

Johnny_P wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2017 11:17 am

Nothing necessarily bad about this bike, but I doubt that it pedals and handles as well as the others. Might all be hogwash doe, and honestly it's probably more down to the rider than the bike anyway. [user not found] would be faster than me on this bike even if I were riding a $10k Pivot.

I'd say it really doesn't matter much if you're looking at a hardtail. Full suspension adds a new dimension, and things like frame stiffness and rear suspension spring curves and such really matter. A FS bike from 10 years ago rides very differently than a more recent one.
What are you trying to say? :notsure:
fledonfoot
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Apex wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2017 11:24 am

The way modern bikes are set up... completely different. Stiffer, slacker, plusher... you noticed a difference just looping my bike around the lot a few months ago. On the trail, the difference is :mindblown:
Johnny_P

Just that they're different.
Apex

fledonfoot wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2017 11:37 am

The way modern bikes are set up... completely different. Stiffer, slacker, plusher... you noticed a difference just looping my bike around the lot a few months ago. On the trail, the difference is :mindblown:
It was :mindblown: how quickly I noticed a difference between the BMC and Whorbea just looping around the lot. I'll be upgrading to a new ride eventually.
Apex

Johnny_P wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2017 11:38 am

Just that they're different.
I was trying to poke fun at myself for riding a 10 year old full squish. :lol:
Johnny_P

[user not found] wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2017 12:59 pm
Apex wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2017 12:45 pm

What you need is to up the intensity. Moar RPM, less diesel.

I think some time at a skills park would benefit you greatly, too, for handling skills.

A new bike won't fix much - the one you have is pretty epic.

The 26 is likely more nimble and maneuverable than any of the sleds on the market today. A little less stable at max speed but honestly you aren't riding in that speed range unless you're trying to keep up with the enduro bois at blue mountain. There are stiffness differences, more buttery suspension, etc on the newer bikes but that's just icing.

Get your RPM up, work on balance, learn how to maneuver the bike and lean/whip it into turns. I can shred on a 26" hardtail just as easily as I can shred on my 29er, just takes a different riding style.

You should go to a pump track. That'll teach you a lot about momentum and hard cornering.
Apex

[user not found] wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2017 1:09 pm

I think some time at a skills park would benefit you greatly, too, for handling skills.

BTW - what gym membership do you have? I'm looking to do spin classes over the winter, need to find a place to go.
I have a Retro membership. It's like $30 a month that includes all of the classes.
Apex

Apex wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2017 12:45 pm

Some skills park time would be a hyuge benefit. I've noticed differences in my riding from early season to late season just from getting more comfortable on the bike. But some time spent focusing on cornering would be a great benefit.
Apex

Johnny_P wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2017 1:13 pm

The 26 is likely more nimble and maneuverable than any of the sleds on the market today. A little less stable at max speed but honestly you aren't riding in that speed range unless you're trying to keep up with the enduro bois at blue mountain. There are stiffness differences, more buttery suspension, etc on the newer bikes but that's just icing.

Get your RPM up, work on balance, learn how to maneuver the bike and lean/whip it into turns. I can shred on a 26" hardtail just as easily as I can shred on my 29er, just takes a different riding style.

You should go to a pump track. That'll teach you a lot about momentum and hard cornering.
I think the bar/stem change fled helped me out with mid-season made a big difference in getting the BMC to be far less twitchy. Moar saddletime needed doe.
Apex

[user not found] wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2017 3:53 pm
Apex wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2017 2:29 pm

I have a Retro membership. It's like $30 a month that includes all of the classes.
I’m looking at doing Retro - there’s one right down the street from my haus. :like:
:like:
Gberg2119
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Sunday afternoon ride with fled and apex?

I'm also getting my roof rack exchanged by DAP. Now that I think about it, could I try the front bar on your GTI fled? I assume it'll jump yours too but part of me is wondering if it's because of the accident and repair. But if it was part of the accident I'd think the rear bar would be having issues but that's perfect.
fledonfoot
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Sure.

Six mile 1pm sunday?
Gberg2119
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

fledonfoot wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2017 9:40 pm Sure.

Six mile 1pm sunday?
Works for me. :like: