Ask any racer, any real racer...

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
Acid666
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Drives: 02 Z06/95 Meowta/05 SilveraDOE

Apex wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2017 3:38 pm Looking at STX prep for the pumpkin. :math:
First autocross I went to was in my MKV Gti with coilovers and tune... Thought I'd do decent, got thrown into STX.
Got my ass HANDED to me by an RX8. Wasn't even close. Like 8 seconds faster.
Apex
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Abominable

Detroit wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2017 3:42 pm
Apex wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2017 3:37 pm

Nope, no need to be :balls: deep. Find the nearest one and go have fun. DGAF about classing or anything.

Fun SHOULD be the basis for you going.
Interesting. Other than tracknightinamerica, I've never associated "fun" with the SCCA. The few times I went to events in CA, people were WAY too caught up in classing and general :bs: to have fun.

The last time I went, I had my MK5 GTI and I just picked some random class because I didn't care. I just wanted to run and have fun. WELL, apparently the class I was in didn't allow the rear sway bar I had. I beat some dude, and he came over and looked under my car and went full :triggered: that I had the bar. They told me I couldn't run the rest of the day because I was in the wrong class. I was "permitted to spectate" doe.

FUCK YOU

:nope:

I swore off the SCCA ever since.
:ohdang: that seems rather harsh.

Any SCCA event I have been to out here in Jersey has been fun. I know a few of the peeps so that helps.
Apex

Acid666 wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2017 3:43 pm
Apex wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2017 3:38 pm Looking at STX prep for the pumpkin. :math:
First autocross I went to was in my MKV Gti with coilovers and tune... Thought I'd do decent, got thrown into STX.
Got my ass HANDED to me by an RX8. Wasn't even close. Like 8 seconds faster.
Yeah... I'm just playing around with ideas at this point. IF I were to get back into autox it'll be either DS or STX, or I go with a whole different car. :iono: Just excel games at this point.
stripethree
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer
Drives: '04 R32, '90 Miata, '17 CB300F

Detroit wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2017 3:23 pm Are there pro solo events that mortals can participate in? I don't want to do all the national BS, and I know I'd probably come in dead last, but pro solo seems like a shitload of fun...especially with my car.
ProSolo is a misnomer IMHO. It's basically an autox with a drag race start, tree included, and you're side by side on mirrored courses. It's a blast. I don't think many regions do them locally though. I also like it because you can fuck up your Saturday runs, all of them, and can still be in it Sunday, provided that the weather isn't an issue.
Detroit wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2017 3:42 pm The last time I went, I had my MK5 GTI and I just picked some random class because I didn't care. I just wanted to run and have fun. WELL, apparently the class I was in didn't allow the rear sway bar I had. I beat some dude, and he came over and looked under my car and went full :triggered: that I had the bar. They told me I couldn't run the rest of the day because I was in the wrong class. I was "permitted to spectate" doe.
That sucks and sounds like a shitty region/event organizers. If you genuinely didn't know or didn't care, they should have been able to move your class. Definitely dealt with this and other situations when I helped run events in Tucson. If you were a repeat offender on purpose, :middlefinger: but if you were new or just didn't know, the goal was to help and educate.
Acid666

stripethree wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2017 4:02 pm
Detroit wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2017 3:42 pm The last time I went, I had my MK5 GTI and I just picked some random class because I didn't care. I just wanted to run and have fun. WELL, apparently the class I was in didn't allow the rear sway bar I had. I beat some dude, and he came over and looked under my car and went full :triggered: that I had the bar. They told me I couldn't run the rest of the day because I was in the wrong class. I was "permitted to spectate" doe.
That sucks and sounds like a shitty region/event organizers. If you genuinely didn't know or didn't care, they should have been able to move your class. Definitely dealt with this and other situations when I helped run events in Tucson. If you were a repeat offender on purpose, :middlefinger: but if you were new or just didn't know, the goal was to help and educate.
Same here. All 3 of the groups around me that I race at are super chill and are totally willing to help you class your ride. And if it's misclassed after the start I wouldn't think they'd have a problem bumping you around. I've yet to see anyone come out and be pissed about a competitor first hand, but I have heard horror stories.
Part of the reason I like autocross is the casual competitiveness in our area. Everyone's real relaxed but wants good times for themselves and everyone around them, but there's a little smack talk to keep the rivalry up.
troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Trek Domane

Detroit wrote:

Drag race tree start with 2 cars and 2 courses (mirrored IIRC).
:dat:

Sounds like so much damned fun.
Detroit region SCCA does a local event that is prosolo style at Oscoda once or twice a year.

There is a campground on a lake literally across the street from the site. Tow the :poorvette: there with the :truk: full of camping shit...
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

troyguitar wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2017 7:56 pm
Detroit wrote: :dat:

Sounds like so much damned fun.
Detroit region SCCA does a local event that is prosolo style at Oscoda once or twice a year.

There is a campground on a lake literally across the street from the site. Tow the :poorvette: there with the :truk: full of camping shit...
Oh, interesting. I need to look into this.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain
Drives: straight past the apex

Nope, no need to be :balls: deep. Find the nearest one and go have fun. DGAF about classing or anything.

Fun SHOULD be the basis for you going.
Interesting. Other than tracknightinamerica, I've never associated "fun" with the SCCA. The few times I went to events in CA, people were WAY too caught up in classing and general :bs: to have fun.

The last time I went, I had my MK5 GTI and I just picked some random class because I didn't care. I just wanted to run and have fun. WELL, apparently the class I was in didn't allow the rear sway bar I had. I beat some dude, and he came over and looked under my car and went full :triggered: that I had the bar. They told me I couldn't run the rest of the day because I was in the wrong class. I was "permitted to spectate" doe.

FUCK YOU

they were very bad ambassadors for the sport then. go to a local regional near you and have fun. Pretty sure your car is in some prepared class. Just go, ask what class they want you in, have fun.
brain go brrrrrr
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2017 8:22 am

FUCK YOU

they were very bad ambassadors for the sport then. go to a local regional near you and have fun. Pretty sure your car is in some prepared class. Just go, ask what class they want you in, have fun.
Yea, I'll have to try again. Indicative of the area, there were some serious :derp: s in CA.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
stripethree
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer

Found on Facebook. Pretty fantastic watch. Rotary powered Midget that looks insane to drive. Always trying to kill you but at the same time, a goddamn riot. Also, without spoiling it, at least watch the first 1:20.

Acid666

stripethree wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2017 10:07 am Found on Facebook. Pretty fantastic watch. Rotary powered Midget that looks insane to drive. Always trying to kill you but at the same time, a goddamn riot. Also, without spoiling it, at least watch the first 1:20.

:lolgasm: :lolgasm: :lolgasm: :lolgasm: :lolgasm: :lolgasm: :lolgasm: :lolgasm: :lolgasm: :lolgasm: :lolgasm:

It's like throwing some stirrups on a horse sized hornet, pulling the reins one way and the hornet just does what it wants. HAHAHHAHAH
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain
Drives: straight past the apex

stripethree wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2017 10:07 am Found on Facebook. Pretty fantastic watch. Rotary powered Midget that looks insane to drive. Always trying to kill you but at the same time, a goddamn riot. Also, without spoiling it, at least watch the first 1:20.

that was freaking awesome!

Side note: homeboy needs to sort the handling of that car like woah
brain go brrrrrr
Apex

The steering wheel is a mere suggestion device for where the car is going to end up. :lolol:
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

Wow. Dat flying cone :doe: :lol:

Looks like quite an upper body workout to pilot that thing at that pace.
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Ford Party ST

1.). That thing looks like a riot

2.) He murdered the fuck out of those cones
As the only published author in a well-known motorcycle publication in the room...
Acid666

I think my favorite part is that he only got 1 clean run, 3 DNFs, and the other 2 runs he hit 4 cones and 2 cones. Dude is a straight murder machine.
Johnny_P
Drives: Blue short bus

Acid666 wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2017 2:08 pm

I think my favorite part is that he only got 1 clean run, 3 DNFs, and the other 2 runs he hit 4 cones and 2 cones. Dude is a straight murder machine.
:lolol: :fuckyeah: DIR
stripethree
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer

Short vid from back in Topeka when I yanked the exhaust out of the cat at the start. Angry wookie is angry. :aintcare: though, finished the run, was chasing a trophy. Was less funny for a minute when I came back to grid with a very hot cat sitting on the in the very dry grass ground.

Acid666

stripethree wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2017 12:01 pm Short vid from back in Topeka when I yanked the exhaust out of the cat at the start. Angry wookie is angry. :aintcare: though, finished the run, was chasing a trophy. Was less funny for a minute when I came back to grid with a very hot cat sitting on the in the very dry grass ground.

I'm about to stop filming from inside the car on the back glass. The white wash of the contrast is just too much (like your video) and I can't fix it with editing software. I talked to my buddy who used to work at GoPro and he gave me some options to try and it's definitely better, but not clean. I mainly want to get my hands in view along with the center of the car, but I might just go back to having it attached to my helmet or outside the driver's window.
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Thinking aloud: SCCA Runoffs are in Indy next weekend. I wonder if we'll get a track night in America at the speedway next year.
As the only published author in a well-known motorcycle publication in the room...
stripethree
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer

4zilch wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2017 7:57 pm Thinking aloud: SCCA Runoffs are in Indy next weekend. I wonder if we'll get a track night in America at the speedway next year.
Not out of the question, we only got the one at COTA this year because of the Pirelli World Challenge...
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Safety Wired

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Melon
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Blue things, Orange thing

I imagine this is what it was like to be the coyote when he sat atop an ACME rocket and lit the fuse, lol.
4zilch wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:46 am I'm a fucking failure.
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

Melon wrote: Sat Sep 23, 2017 9:50 pm

I imagine this is what it was like to be the coyote when he sat atop an ACME rocket and lit the fuse, lol.
:lolol:
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Track day today. Cold - 50ish degrees this morning. Ran first session in “rain” mode - 100ish hp - super invasive traction control. Was :notbad: TC was :lolol: with super delayed power deliveries