The Bookworm thread aka whatcha reading

Off-topic? You mean on-topic!
Irish
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Drives: '12 GIT (190K!)- 2011 Outie A5

Currently rereading The Talisman by Stephen King/Peter Straub for probabaly the 10th time......I love that Book

Want to revisitit King's the Dark Tower Series too...... I have a bad feeling I am going to hate the upcoming movie.... :sad:
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain
Drives: straight past the apex

Since i won't finish that book the case against sugar in text before my loan expires, trying the audiobook version.
brain go brrrrrr
SAWCE
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Ebombtra

Parents got me a Kindle paperwhite for my birthday. Prime members get a free pre-published book each month which is pretty cool.. I chose one called Little Boy Lost. Reading that now, then gonna go tackle some of the suggestions in here.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

SAWCE wrote: Wed Jul 19, 2017 12:32 pm Parents got me a Kindle paperwhite for my birthday. Prime members get a free pre-published book each month which is pretty cool.. I chose one called Little Boy Lost. Reading that now, then gonna go tackle some of the suggestions in here.
get a library card and do that too. it's 5/7.

I finished that book the case against sugar via the audiobook. I might go read the last chapter anyway.

That book both made me want to never eat sugar again AND want a cookie.
brain go brrrrrr
SAWCE

Can't remember if it was talked about in here, but there is a series of books called Red Rising. Dystopian future setting where Earth has been depleted, so humans are inhabiting other planets. Lower classes are sent up first to make them livable. Cool spin on the genre. I've read the first two, and there are two more.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

Most of the way through 10% happier with Dan Harris (on audiobook).

It's a definite recommend from me.
brain go brrrrrr
wap
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue Meanie

Started The Pagan Lord, book 7 of Bernard Cornwell's Last Kingdom Series (adapted for a TV series first on BBC America (same production company that did Downton Abby) now season 2 is on Netflicks). It's a :fuckyeah: historical fiction series about the Viking invasions of Britain in the 8th and 9th centuries and the subsequent birth of the nation of England under King Alfred the Great. It's basically a more historically accurate version of the Vikings TV series.
Also on audiobook.
I highly recommend anything by Bernard Cornwell.
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

Just about finished "The happiness Project" by gretchen Rubin on audiobook. 5/7, definite recommend from me.

She has these secrets of adulthood that are :mindblown:

emphasis mine for ones I found to be true looking at my life
The best reading is re-reading.
Outer order contributes to inner calm.
The opposite of a great truth is also true.
You manage what you measure.
By doing a little bit each day, you can get a lot accomplished.
People don’t notice your mistakes and flaws as much as you think.
It’s nice to have plenty of money.
Most decisions don’t require extensive research.
Try not to let yourself get too hungry.
Even if you think they’re fake, it’s nice to celebrate Mother’s Day and Father’s Day.
If you can’t find something, clean up.
The days are long, but the years are short.
Someplace, keep an empty shelf.
Turning the computer on and off a few times often fixes a glitch.
It’s okay to ask for help.
You can choose what you do; you can’t choose what you LIKE to do.
Happiness doesn’t always make you feel happy.
What you do EVERY DAY matters more than what you do ONCE IN A WHILE.
You don’t have to be good at everything.
Soap and water removes most stains.
It’s important to be nice to EVERYONE.
You know as much as most people.
Over-the-counter medicines are very effective.
Eat better, eat less, exercise more.
What’s fun for other people may not be fun for you–and vice versa.
People actually prefer that you buy wedding gifts off their registry.
Houseplants and photo albums are a lot of trouble.
If you’re not failing, you’re not trying hard enough.
No deposit, no return.
As part of doing your own happiness project, she suggests you make a short list of commandments for yourself, here are hers:
1. Be Gretchen.
2. Let it go.
3. Act the way I want to feel.
4. Do it now.
5. Be polite and be fair.
6. Enjoy the process.
7. Spend out. (This is probably the most enigmatic of my commandments.)
8. Identify the problem.
9. Lighten up.
10. Do what ought to be done.
11. No calculation.
12. There is only love.
Emphasis again mine for things I'll try to do better / have been doing better on my self help kick of the last 6 months.
I'm not going to go to the extremes that Gretchen did in her project just yet, but I might make and edit some of my secrets to adulthood and commandments to help me be a better person. Anyway, it's a 9 hour audiobook. Def. worth a listen/read.

Other things I'm reading.... I started down the ~80 book rabbit hole of Star Trek: TNG books. I got a couple of Star Trek: Enterprise books on deck to read. Might be the last two of the series :(

As soon as I'm done with the current trek book I have the novelization of Varelin to read from the library.
brain go brrrrrr
stripethree
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer
Drives: '04 R32, '90 Miata, '17 CB300F

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Wed Sep 06, 2017 9:13 am Just about finished "The happiness Project" by gretchen Rubin on audiobook. 5/7, definite recommend from me.
I have read this, also recommended. I need to read it again. As a companion book, I recommend The Subtle Art of Not Giving a Fuck.

Not sure if it has been mentioned, but a public library card + Overdrive is the jam. I have to return to the library to renew my card but otherwise, all dem ebooks!
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

stripethree wrote: Wed Sep 06, 2017 9:48 am
Big Brain Bradley wrote: Wed Sep 06, 2017 9:13 am Just about finished "The happiness Project" by gretchen Rubin on audiobook. 5/7, definite recommend from me.
I have read this, also recommended. I need to read it again. As a companion book, I recommend The Subtle Art of Not Giving a Fuck.

Not sure if it has been mentioned, but a public library card + Overdrive is the jam. I have to return to the library to renew my card but otherwise, all dem ebooks!
YES. this is how i've been getting the audiobooks and some of the actual books. Its really awesome.
brain go brrrrrr
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

Also adding The Subtle Art of Not Giving a fuck to my holds

lol
#38 on 7 copies for audiobook
#36 on 8 copies for book.
it might be awhile.
brain go brrrrrr
stripethree
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer
Drives: '04 R32, '90 Miata, '17 CB300F

Are you on the Good Reads? You can hath stalk me.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

stripethree wrote: Wed Sep 06, 2017 10:47 am Are you on the Good Reads? You can hath stalk me.
no, but maybe i should get on that.
brain go brrrrrr
Jaxper
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class
Drives: MK7 GTI

SAWCE wrote: Wed Jul 19, 2017 1:01 pm Can't remember if it was talked about in here, but there is a series of books called Red Rising. Dystopian future setting where Earth has been depleted, so humans are inhabiting other planets. Lower classes are sent up first to make them livable. Cool spin on the genre. I've read the first two, and there are two more.
Playing a little catch up in this thread - this series is on my to-read list. Good to hear the recommendation!

I recently finish the Lightbringer series (at least the 4 of 5 books that are out so far) by Brent Weeks and they were great! Puts a nice spin on magic by saying it's a manipulation of the colors of the spectrum within light.

I'm currently reading the first book of the Aliomenti Saga by Alex Albrinck. I was looking for a few quick reads after the 600-800 pg books of the Lightbringer series (these are ~300-350 each). I'm about halfway through the first and so far so good!
The panda hath arrived.
SAWCE

Jaxper wrote: Wed Sep 06, 2017 10:57 am
SAWCE wrote: Wed Jul 19, 2017 1:01 pm Can't remember if it was talked about in here, but there is a series of books called Red Rising. Dystopian future setting where Earth has been depleted, so humans are inhabiting other planets. Lower classes are sent up first to make them livable. Cool spin on the genre. I've read the first two, and there are two more.
Playing a little catch up in this thread - this series is on my to-read list. Good to hear the recommendation!

I recently finish the Lightbringer series (at least the 4 of 5 books that are out so far) by Brent Weeks and they were great! Puts a nice spin on magic by saying it's a manipulation of the colors of the spectrum within light.

I'm currently reading the first book of the Aliomenti Saga by Alex Albrinck. I was looking for a few quick reads after the 600-800 pg books of the Lightbringer series (these are ~300-350 each). I'm about halfway through the first and so far so good!
NIce. I'll check these out.
Johnny_P
Drives: Blue short bus

I am reading The Guide to Getting It On.

:therapist: prescribed

It has dick drawings in it. GF thinks that's funny.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

Johnny_P wrote: Thu Sep 07, 2017 9:52 pm I am reading The Guide to Getting It On.

:therapist: prescribed

It has dick drawings in it. GF thinks that's funny.
:notbad:
brain go brrrrrr
Sno
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer
Drives: Fiiiiiiiiiiiiat

Taking up The Happiness Project in Audible now. Been on the hunt for the next, this seems like quality after Subtle Art at Tail.

Also preordered Hillary Clinton's What Happened this morning. I'm so crazy curious about what she has to say about the election.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2017 1:58 pm At the risk of being sucked into your wedding planner decorative vortex, that is kind of cute.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

Sno wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2017 10:52 am

Taking up The Happiness Project in Audible now. Been on the hunt for the next, this seems like quality after Subtle Art at Tail.

Also preordered Hillary Clinton's What Happened this morning. I'm so crazy curious about what she has to say about the election.
in4review of both
brain go brrrrrr
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

Just finished reading the new :science: book.

Astrophysics for People in a Hurry by Neil deGrasse Tyson on audiobook. :notbad: It's 3:40 long and it's read by the author.
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

Varelin book was good. Killed another TNG book.

Moving on to The long Way Round, the story of Obi Wan Kenobi (Ewan McGregor) and his best buddy Charley Boorman going from london to New york the long way on moterbikes.
It was a TV show too, very good check it out.

The book is not just a repeat of the show, lots of details and feelings from the two put into text. About 20% in and the big takeaway I have so far is.... they are two just normal guys that were just as unsure about how this would go as everyone else. So far its really good.

And I started another Star Trek TNG book. Of course.
brain go brrrrrr
Calvinball
Drives: Pumpkin, Hellcat edition

You must be a millennial if Obi Wan Kenobi associates to Ewan McGregor in your brain.

Finally finished It. I have another Stephen King that my buddy gave me, Gwendy's Button Box.

I gotta get signed up at the library this weekend, cause I'm gonna finish this one in like 3 days.

Sent from the Beer Depository
:therapist:
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

Calvinball wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2017 8:07 am You must be a millennial if Obi Wan Kenobi associates to Ewan McGregor in your brain.

:sass: :sass: :millennial: :rolleyes:

Old Millennial. Too young for the original, but i remember when Jedi came out. I had an R2D2 toy 'box' . My Mom says I called it R2D2D2.
brain go brrrrrr
Apex
Drives: Abominable

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2017 7:46 am Varelin book was good. Killed another TNG book.

Moving on to The long Way Round, the story of Obi Wan Kenobi (Ewan McGregor) and his best buddy Charley Boorman going from london to New york the long way on moterbikes.
It was a TV show too, very good check it out.

The book is not just a repeat of the show, lots of details and feelings from the two put into text. About 20% in and the big takeaway I have so far is.... they are two just normal guys that were just as unsure about how this would go as everyone else. So far its really good.

And I started another Star Trek TNG book. Of course.
The TV documentary of The Long Way Round is 5/7. They also had a sequel to it that was also quite good called Long Way Down. They go from Scotland to South Africa. I should re-watch these.