Obligatory C5 Thread

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

Acid666 wrote:
Tarspin wrote: Fri Aug 04, 2017 11:07 am Did it sound like a deep shudder?
My noise? Oh hell no. It was a fucking rattle from hell.
I can tell you exactly what it was, but not sure if I can perfectly explain it.
The shifter is a "+" shape. Bottom of the shaft goes to the shifter box, top is the shift knob. The left and right of the cross press down on some vertical springs that keep the knob centered.

The cut out for those side lateral bars was X wide. The bars themselves were X-.050" wide. That gap between the two just shook like a mad man at vibrations between... Let me think of this.... I think 1.6K-2.2K rpms.
So when I'd drive normal in the city, it wasn't a big deal because I'm in and out of gears and rpms. But on the highway in 6th, cruising at 70 I'd be around 1.7K and I had to keep a hand on the damn shifter to stop it.
It's starting to sound like the same thing except that mine might not be as loose. Cool brother, thanks for the feedback! :like:
Acid666
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Drives: 02 Z06/95 Meowta/05 SilveraDOE

Konis are in. PAINT MATCHED!

Don't have a ton of miles on them yet, but I have driven it a little. Right now they're in the middle of the firmness. Takes about 8 sweeps to go from full :flaccid: to full :dong: and I'm at 4.
Initial impressions:
Took me a while to really find the differences. Leaving my neighborhood they felt pretty stock. But as I got more into various streets and different varieties of roads in town I could see where it was different. On shifts I feel like there's less of a dive. It wasn't really that prominent before, but now it just feels like the car stays exactly the same between letting on and off of the throttle.
Side to side action is definitely firmed up. I rode around the mall, which is a loop with one really tight corner and I managed to get the back end to bark out a little. Normally I don't get this unless I'm autocrossing and have heated up the tires. So what's likely happening is the front is firmed up so the turn in is a lot better, but since the back is firmed up as well it's causing some hop which is letting it break loose. So now I see first hand what I've read about "dial in the front first and maximize your turn in, and soften the rear to match how much the front can handle".

I've still got a front sway bar coming in, so it will likely stiffen the front up even more.
I'll likely run the fronts at 4/8 stiffness and then dial the backs down to 2/8.

Also, the stock shocks, I could compress them by hand while it was in the car. These... Hell no. I had to stand on them and push down with a lot of force just to get them compressed. It was like 250-300 pounds just to get them down. It makes me think that the stock shocks were EXTREMELY soft and. Supposedly running these Konis on full soft should act like the stock setup.
I love the location of the adjustment too. I can turn my front wheels full lock left/right and reach down and adjust them without having to get the car on jack stands. So I can probably drive them to an event on full soft, and then stiffen them to a default amount, and then maybe tweak them during my runs if I'm too tight or loose.
Highway speeds on 4/8, I had some shake at 70-80mph so I might want to stay soft until I race.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

What front bar are you going to run?
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
ChrisoftheNorth

Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
Acid666

Detroit wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2017 2:54 pm What front bar are you going to run?
I went ahead and got Strano's bar and new adjustable endlinks.
I talked to Sam for a good 20 minutes and decided to give him the extra business and go with his bar.

I could of saved nearly $300 by ordering the shocks from Amazon, but the ship date was nearly the end of Sept for the backorder of shocks. I need to run 2 events before the next 2 day club race in Oct so that I can really dial in these shocks and I didn't want to wait nearly 2 months to get them in.
:melon: and I will be racing on the same team, so hopefully we can combine our Koni Banana Koils and 4.10 Goodness into a Voltron and come up with the quickest PAX times.
Acid666

LOLOLOLOLOLOL
Seriously. I bet he's dead. For real.

EDIT: First thing I thought. Now I revisited it and saw the half staff thing. It's likely true
I wish I could say that I felt bad, but I honestly don't. That dude instigated so many posts that I despised him.
I totally owned him and called him out on his bullshit on a Corsa thread and he didn't even own up to it even after the owner of Borla pops in and basically verifies everything I said.

EDIT: You notice how they had to lock the thread too eh?
Probably because the :caspian:s will come out of their hobbit holes and vent their relief.
Last edited by Acid666 on Fri Aug 11, 2017 3:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ChrisoftheNorth

Acid666 wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2017 3:00 pm
Detroit wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2017 2:54 pm What front bar are you going to run?
I went ahead and got Strano's bar and new adjustable endlinks.
I talked to Sam for a good 20 minutes and decided to give him the extra business and go with his bar.

I could of saved nearly $300 by ordering the shocks from Amazon, but the ship date was nearly the end of Sept for the backorder of shocks. I need to run 2 events before the next 2 day club race in Oct so that I can really dial in these shocks and I didn't want to wait nearly 2 months to get them in.
:melon: and I will be racing on the same team, so hopefully we can combine our Koni Banana Koils and 4.10 Goodness into a Voltron and come up with the quickest PAX times.
:impressive:

Curious to hear how it all comes together. :fuckyeah:
Acid666

Detroit wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2017 3:07 pm Curious to hear how it all comes together. :fuckyeah:
Well the sway bar comes in Tuesday. So I'll likely slap it on during the week and then I can hit up the next event that weekend.
I've got 2 choices for clubs to hit up, and one just posted their layout.
Anddddddddddddddddd they lost my vote with this gem:

CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: 1986 Hyundai Excel, 351C swap

Invalid Thread specified. If you followed a valid link, please notify the administrator
Missed it. What was it?
Acid666

CorvetteWaxer wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2017 3:51 pm
Invalid Thread specified. If you followed a valid link, please notify the administrator
Missed it. What was it?
Oh wow, it's gone. Surprised it took em that long.
It was at like 10:43am. Someone posted that Evil-Twin will no longer be making posts, and then ended it with a half mast emoticon.
ChrisoftheNorth

Acid666 wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2017 3:53 pm
CorvetteWaxer wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2017 3:51 pm

Missed it. What was it?
It was at like 10:43am. Someone posted that Evil-Twin will no longer be making posts, and then ended it with a half mast emoticon.
No loss.
Acid666

Detroit wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2017 4:16 pm
Acid666 wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2017 3:53 pm

No loss.
I did a little digging, just curious. Checked this user's post history and found this.
I'll link it and copy it in case this gets removed too. (oh yeah, the original thread is back but locked)

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/he ... 1595348912

Originally Posted by Yello95 View Post
Trying to post a visitor message for Evil-Twin...thanks
Well, like I said above, it's an account thing. In this case the member/account is Banned. Was Banned on 8/8/17 prior to your inquiry. So you can't leave messages for Banned Members or members who turn off messaging. This member apparently gave us a goodbye message.

Any further questions about the Banning, please contact Administrator Savewave via PM or email.
ChrisoftheNorth

Acid666 wrote: Sat Aug 12, 2017 10:39 pm
Detroit wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2017 4:16 pm
No loss.
I did a little digging, just curious. Checked this user's post history and found this.
I'll link it and copy it in case this gets removed too. (oh yeah, the original thread is back but locked)

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/he ... 1595348912

Originally Posted by Yello95 View Post
Trying to post a visitor message for Evil-Twin...thanks
Well, like I said above, it's an account thing. In this case the member/account is Banned. Was Banned on 8/8/17 prior to your inquiry. So you can't leave messages for Banned Members or members who turn off messaging. This member apparently gave us a goodbye message.

Any further questions about the Banning, please contact Administrator Savewave via PM or email.
:nuke:
ChrisoftheNorth

[user not found] wrote: Sun Aug 13, 2017 9:41 am All I did was click into one thread on Corvetteforum... :nope:
It's an awful place...and actually degrading quickly because of all the kidzz buying C5's now.

:disgust:
Devilchrono
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class
Drives: 22’ Chevy Blazer

Detroit wrote: Sun Aug 13, 2017 9:54 am
[user not found] wrote: Sun Aug 13, 2017 9:41 am All I did was click into one thread on Corvetteforum... :nope:
It's an awful place...and actually degrading quickly because of all the kidzz buying C5's now.

Which is very sad, because it wasn't that bad of a place when I had mine, and I was able to learn a lot of really good stuff there. Looking through it now though, I'm glad I don't frequent that place anymore; it makes my head hurt
Acid666

Devilchrono wrote: Sun Aug 13, 2017 10:01 am
Detroit wrote: Sun Aug 13, 2017 9:54 am It's an awful place...and actually degrading quickly because of all the kidzz buying C5's now.

Which is very sad, because it wasn't that bad of a place when I had mine, and I was able to learn a lot of really good stuff there. Looking through it now though, I'm glad I don't frequent that place anymore; it makes my head hurt
I still regularly go there, but it's only to find info on certain things. And to check the C5 and Autocross classifieds. Still trying to find a pair of 18" Speedlines for next season to run a square setup.
Other than that I don't chime in a ton other than for the occasional time I've got a definitive answer to someone's question.
Acid666

SWAY BAR TIME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
ChrisoftheNorth

Acid666 wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2017 2:47 pm SWAY BAR TIME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
:fuckyeah:
Melon
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Blue things, Orange thing

Oh dang!

I leave for a week, and Acid gets work done!

Did Ollie help you install the Koni shocks?
4zilch wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:46 am I'm a fucking failure.
Acid666

Melon wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2017 3:52 pm Oh dang!

Ollie watched from the window. He did point out that I had the fronts on the rear, and the rears on the fronts. But then I pointed out that he's actually cross-eyed and then he :mindblown:
Melon
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Acid666 wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2017 4:43 pm
Melon wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2017 3:52 pm Oh dang!

Ollie watched from the window. He did point out that I had the fronts on the rear, and the rears on the fronts. But then I pointed out that he's actually cross-eyed and then he :mindblown:
Haha
Melon
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Acid666

Got it installed. Wasn't too difficult. I think I might need to tweak the adjustable endlinks a little bit because on my test drive it kind of pulled a little to the right. Need to find a way to figure out if they're both set up to the same length.
I didn't drive it long though, so I need more miles to tell.

I adjusted the shocks a little bit. The rear ones were a little more difficult to turn so I'm worried that they're going to get more and more difficult as I put miles on them. Going to set them at 2/3 firm in the front and 1/3 firm in the back. But ideally I'd like to run them full soft for daily driving. I noticed at high highway speeds it's got a shake that wasn't there before.
Will address it all after this event Saturday.

troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Trek Domane

End link length should be set with the car on ramps, you want the bar to be neutral at regular ride height. The links should bolt into place with no effort. Make sure there's enough grease in the bushings so that the bar rotates freely with the links disconnected too.
Acid666

troyguitar wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2017 11:04 pm End link length should be set with the car on ramps, you want the bar to be neutral at regular ride height. The links should bolt into place with no effort. Make sure there's enough grease in the bushings so that the bar rotates freely with the links disconnected too.
Yeah I just read that I should of assembled it with the car on the ground. So I'm going to loosen one side up and then make sure it goes in easy. I greased the end links before I put them in the car. Wasn't sure if I needed to but did it just to make sure.