Obligatory C5 Thread

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

Detroit wrote:
Tarspin wrote: Fri Jul 28, 2017 4:10 pm They've done 150 of these. I have zero reason to lie. I can easily be lied to and not know it doe.
This is what I was getting at.

The rack has to be removed no matter what...and there's a lot of ancillary stuff that has to come off to do so. They probably have the process down at this point after doing so many, but there's no way to cut corners unless they just don't do it at all somehow.
They are a well known shop, maybe even the top go-to place if you ask corvette guys in Ontario. Guys ship or drive their cars to this shop for work. Dude on the phone said that GM charges nearly double because they do what you imply that they should, however the shop has cut out a whole bunch of that process. Maybe they have specialty tools :iono: . Just for shits and giggles I think you should call them up and ask about it. I'd love to get your impressions. Just tell them that you're my buddy and want some clarification on their process. It might be beneficial to know?
Acid666
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Drives: 02 Z06/95 Meowta/05 SilveraDOE

Tarspin wrote: Fri Jul 28, 2017 4:29 pm
Detroit wrote: This is what I was getting at.

The rack has to be removed no matter what...and there's a lot of ancillary stuff that has to come off to do so. They probably have the process down at this point after doing so many, but there's no way to cut corners unless they just don't do it at all somehow.
They are a well known shop, maybe even the top go-to place if you ask corvette guys in Ontario. Guys ship or drive their cars to this shop for work. Dude on the phone said that GM charges nearly double because they do what you imply that they should, however the shop has cut out a whole bunch of that process. Maybe they have specialty tools :iono: . Just for shits and giggles I think you should call them up and ask about it. I'd love to get your impressions. Just tell them that you're my buddy and want some clarification on their process. It might be beneficial to know?
He could just call up and ask for a quote. And then ask em about it.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

Acid666 wrote: Fri Jul 28, 2017 4:38 pm
Tarspin wrote: Fri Jul 28, 2017 4:29 pm They are a well known shop, maybe even the top go-to place if you ask corvette guys in Ontario. Guys ship or drive their cars to this shop for work. Dude on the phone said that GM charges nearly double because they do what you imply that they should, however the shop has cut out a whole bunch of that process. Maybe they have specialty tools :iono: . Just for shits and giggles I think you should call them up and ask about it. I'd love to get your impressions. Just tell them that you're my buddy and want some clarification on their process. It might be beneficial to know?
He could just call up and ask for a quote. And then ask em about it.
I just may out of curiosity.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Detroit wrote:
Acid666 wrote: Fri Jul 28, 2017 4:38 pm He could just call up and ask for a quote. And then ask em about it.
I just may out of curiosity.
https://www.dasilvamotorsport.com/

Let me know :)
wap
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue Meanie

Repost from the Car Chat thread.
I've been going through some old Road and Track magazines from the late 90's/early 2000's and came across this Q&A from the Technical Correspondence column from the December, 1999 issue:
:mindblown:
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

:poorvette: is at DASILVA Motor sports today. Asked Manny how they get the harmonic balancer replaced in 4 hrs. He says that they support the engine and drop the cradle.Image
ChrisoftheNorth

Tarspin wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2017 10:44 am :poorvette: is at DASILVA Motor sports today. Asked Manny how they get the harmonic balancer replaced in 4 hrs. He says that they support the engine and drop the cradle.Image
:notbad: Probably pretty doable, actually.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Detroit wrote:
Tarspin wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2017 10:44 am :poorvette: is at DASILVA Motor sports today. Asked Manny how they get the harmonic balancer replaced in 4 hrs. He says that they support the engine and drop the cradle.Image
:notbad: Probably pretty doable, actually.
Darn skippy it is... picking up the car now.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Made back almost half the repair costs by filling the waiting time with customer meetings. :waxer:
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Car feels 5hp faster.

:trollface:
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Not sure how this compares to the aftermarket options but it's what they mounted :aintcare:

https://www.trickflow.com/parts/tfs-18012
ChrisoftheNorth

Tarspin wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2017 4:21 pm Not sure how this compares to the aftermarket options but it's what they mounted :aintcare:

:ohdang: Underdrive. +15hp and +40 internets.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Detroit wrote:
Tarspin wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2017 4:21 pm Not sure how this compares to the aftermarket options but it's what they mounted :aintcare:

:ohdang: Underdrive. +15hp and +40 internets.
Wait that's not right... I'm pretty sure the pulley is stock size.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

I need to chase down some weird vibration which I thought was the pulley originally. It comes and goes at 60+ mph and rattles the center console. If I put my hand on the shifter it mutes the problem but I can still feel it in my hand. I really thought I had his sucker sorted out for the time being.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Anyone ever see or hear of a loose shifter or shifter box? I guess it could also be something resonating through the drive train into the shifter.
Apex
Drives: Abominable

Tarspin wrote: Fri Aug 04, 2017 9:21 am Anyone ever see or hear of a loose shifter or shifter box? I guess it could also be something resonating through the drive train into the shifter.
It's the lack of a brub-stick causing the vibration.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Apex wrote:
Tarspin wrote: Fri Aug 04, 2017 9:21 am Anyone ever see or hear of a loose shifter or shifter box? I guess it could also be something resonating through the drive train into the shifter.
What's a brub-stick, :manuel: ?
:derp: I got it lol. No, the brub-stick wouldn't help lol
Apex
Drives: Abominable

Tarspin wrote: Fri Aug 04, 2017 9:37 am
Apex wrote:
What's a brub-stick, :manuel: ?
:lol:
ChrisoftheNorth

Tarspin wrote: Fri Aug 04, 2017 9:20 am I need to chase down some weird vibration which I thought was the pulley originally. It comes and goes at 60+ mph and rattles the center console. If I put my hand on the shifter it mutes the problem but I can still feel it in my hand. I really thought I had his sucker sorted out for the time being.
Comes and goes as in it's harmonic?
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Apex wrote:
Tarspin wrote: Fri Aug 04, 2017 9:37 am What's a brub-stick, :manuel: ?
:notbad: :like:
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

The interweb is plastered with rattling shifter and it seems like it's all right at the shift box. I'm going to take it apart when I get a chance and see what's going on there. I'll look up what's required to do a shifter adjustment too.
Acid666

My shitty Breathless Broformance shifter had a rattle. It was a loose tolerance on the bar that pressed on the lateral side springs.
But that's a harmonic vibration that happened at 2.5K. It did it in every gear. If it's doing it at just one speed and not the same RPM in each gear then that would make me eliminate the shifter itself. Or possibly something connecting the shifter to something else that's rattling or has a harmonic imbalance.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Acid666 wrote:
My shitty Breathless Broformance shifter had a rattle. It was a loose tolerance on the bar that pressed on the lateral side springs.
But that's a harmonic vibration that happened at 2.5K. It did it in every gear. If it's doing it at just one speed and not the same RPM in each gear then that would make me eliminate the shifter itself. Or possibly something connecting the shifter to something else that's rattling or has a harmonic imbalance.
I'm going to have to mentally log every time it happens but I'm seeing it in 6th at highway speed most often. I believe that I had it happen once or twice at a different speed and rpm like 2nd at near WOT.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Did it sound like a deep shudder?
Acid666

Tarspin wrote: Fri Aug 04, 2017 11:07 am Did it sound like a deep shudder?
My noise? Oh hell no. It was a fucking rattle from hell.
I can tell you exactly what it was, but not sure if I can perfectly explain it.
The shifter is a "+" shape. Bottom of the shaft goes to the shifter box, top is the shift knob. The left and right of the cross press down on some vertical springs that keep the knob centered.

The cut out for those side lateral bars was X wide. The bars themselves were X-.050" wide. That gap between the two just shook like a mad man at vibrations between... Let me think of this.... I think 1.6K-2.2K rpms.
So when I'd drive normal in the city, it wasn't a big deal because I'm in and out of gears and rpms. But on the highway in 6th, cruising at 70 I'd be around 1.7K and I had to keep a hand on the damn shifter to stop it.