OT Deep Space Waste 9

Off-topic? You mean on-topic!
troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Trek Domane

[user not found] wrote:
troyguitar wrote: One weekend is NBD. 10 years is insanity. Can you really not make enough money doing a job that offers at least one day off a year? :wtf:
Again, it's why I left my old job. I made less and the call volume is way higher.

If a call is made to me at this job (after hours) it is a significant threat to life, property, or puts the company survivability at risk. In two years I've gotten maybe ten after hours or vacation calls (and two were actually when I was down at the Fap this year)?

It's less that I will get the call (which I rarely do) and more that I have to be reachable, which I always provide a pathway to.
How can you be reached on the dragon, do you carry some 007 gadget that gives you cell service?

:iono: how anyone lives like that, with work always priority number one and actually living your life being whatever you can do while waiting for more work to happen.

When the phone rings you have to drop everything (or wake up) and get down to business no matter what? What if you're :drunk: or in the woods with :baby: or whatever... being a human being?
nuggstein
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Drives: 2012 GTI

troyguitar wrote: Tue Jun 27, 2017 7:27 pm
[user not found] wrote:
Again, it's why I left my old job. I made less and the call volume is way higher.

If a call is made to me at this job (after hours) it is a significant threat to life, property, or puts the company survivability at risk. In two years I've gotten maybe ten after hours or vacation calls (and two were actually when I was down at the Fap this year)?

It's less that I will get the call (which I rarely do) and more that I have to be reachable, which I always provide a pathway to.
How can you be reached on the dragon, do you carry some 007 gadget that gives you cell service?

:iono: how anyone lives like that, with work always priority number one and actually living your life being whatever you can do while waiting for more work to happen.

When the phone rings you have to drop everything (or wake up) and get down to business no matter what? What if you're :drunk: or in the woods with :baby: or whatever... being a human being?
And here's where I agree with you. It's unfortunate that I was put on call for this weekend, without much notice, I mean...I have plans. I can't just cancel. This is why I look for a work/life balance. If I knew that I was on call a month ago, honestly, it's whatever...but to let me know the WEEK OF? It's a bit ridiculous. How else can you live? How else can you plan?
:crang:
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

When you reach a certain level, you're the only one responsible for some tasks. It's just kind of the name of the game with higher positions and pay. Can't make a lot of money with little responsibility. It just doesn't work that way.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: 1986 Hyundai Excel, 351C swap

Troy must not remember me posting pics of my Iridium device.

Who needs cell service when you have a view of the sky.
haleyann
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer
Drives: Forester & Fiata

[user not found] wrote: Tue Jun 27, 2017 9:37 am
haleyann wrote: Tue Jun 27, 2017 9:29 am

You should.

Though if you wait a couple years I'll have a guest room you can stay in.
After the baby moves out? :trollface:
I've made it very clear the :baby: will not be living at my house. He'll probably move out next year.
haleyann
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer
Drives: Forester & Fiata

wap wrote: Tue Jun 27, 2017 10:23 am
haleyann wrote: Tue Jun 27, 2017 12:41 am

:wtf: I didn't even think about that, the museum signs only talked about Nixon flying to china!
:disappoint:
Didn't they still have the signs pointing out Jackie's bathroom and LBJ's pipe stand and JFK's desk and phone?
I didn't see anything about jackies bathroom, I did see the desk but not the pipe stand.
troyguitar

Detroit wrote: Tue Jun 27, 2017 7:41 pm When you reach a certain level, you're the only one responsible for some tasks. It's just kind of the name of the game with higher positions and pay. Can't make a lot of money with little responsibility. It just doesn't work that way.
Unless you own the company, it's unreasonable to be expected to be "at work" 24/7/365. No one is that special. You're not Jack Bauer.
troyguitar

[user not found] wrote: Tue Jun 27, 2017 8:51 pm
troyguitar wrote:
Unless you own the company, it's unreasonable to be expected to be "at work" 24/7/365. No one is that special. You're not Jack Bauer.
Human life or tens of millions of dollars of financial impact are the barriers to contact me. Fairly Bauer-esq.
How is it possible that you are the only person on planet earth who can solve these problems? There must be another rich guy who has a phone.

Literally people will die if YOU don't answer the phone? :rolleyes:

Your voice can't be that good.
Apex
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Abominable

[user not found] wrote: Tue Jun 27, 2017 8:58 pm
troyguitar wrote:
How is it possible that you are the only person on planet earth who can solve these problems? There must be another rich guy who has a phone.

Are there are other people trained in what I do that could take my job and do it? Yes. Are the requirements the same? Yes.

I average about one immediate life safety issue a month of which about 2 a year occur after hours. At my old job it was a several a week and a couple a week after hours. This is literally what I'm paid to do.

Also my voice is pretty damn good.
In4 :[user not found]: phonesexvoice
razr390
Drives: MK7.5 on 87

:iono: if I agree with :mahtroy: on this one. I think if you have a cool job and you make the CHOICE to advance knowing the requirements, costs, benefits, etc of the decision then there is no cause for concern.

If :[user not found]: can handle it, have a happy family/household and maintain good health for everyone around him then it's a win-win.

I don't see :[user not found]: complaining of much about anything and he seems busier than most of us.

Knowing that I'm going the same route (if I don't :narc: ) or even as a :narc: (being on call 24/7) it's pretty cool that an organization or a group of people within that organization appreciate and recognize your role.

Plus it's pretty fuckin' cool too. To have a batphone and whatnot. :iono:
:doughnut: :narc: :doughnut:
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:05 pm DFD. The forum where everybody makes the same choices and then tells anybody trying to join the club that they are the stupidest motherfucker to ever walk the earth.
razr390

[user not found] wrote: Tue Jun 27, 2017 9:14 pm
Apex wrote:
@[user not found] @melon @kiagiver @haleyann @4zilch @dubshow @punchagoat can comment.
Calling you now. :jimp:
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:05 pm DFD. The forum where everybody makes the same choices and then tells anybody trying to join the club that they are the stupidest motherfucker to ever walk the earth.
razr390

Today at work:

vendor calls manager, manager calls me, vendor in verge of breaking down informs me she lost her company iPad and doesn't know where it is.

I walk with her throughout the floor and she shows me where she was last.

Find her on archive camera footage from when she lost it, I find her. I go to manager and tell her to come to camera room, show her where iPad is.

Walk with vendor to the location, find and give her iPad.

Proceed to get hugged by vendor, as she's crying.

Day made and I got to actually do some work. :fuckyeah:
razr390

[user not found] wrote: Tue Jun 27, 2017 9:24 pm
razr390 wrote:Today at work:

vendor calls manager, manager calls me, vendor in verge of breaking down informs me she lost her company iPad and doesn't know where it is.

I walk with her throughout the floor and she shows me where she was last.

Find her on archive camera footage from when she lost it, I find her. I go to manager and tell her to come to camera room, show her where iPad is.

Walk with vendor to the location, find and give her iPad.

Proceed to get hugged by vendor, as she's crying.

Day made and I got to actually do some work. :fuckyeah:
Nice work Trudy!
Vendor told manager to make a formal compliment to all management within the store for my actions.
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

:hai:
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
troyguitar

troyguitar wrote:

Are there are other people trained in what I do that could take my job and do it? Yes. Are the requirements the same? Yes.

I average about one immediate life safety issue a month of which about 2 a year occur after hours. At my old job it was a several a week and a couple a week after hours. This is literally what I'm paid to do.

Why does it have to be ONE person who does the job 24/7/365? That's what I don't understand. You aren't the only one in the world who can do it, so have a partner so you can take a god damn nap... If the role is that important (still don't see :wtf: you can possibly do to save a life over the phone when you're not a doctor or hostage negotiator) then surely the :waxer: who runs the company should be willing to hire you a partner.
Apex

@[user not found] you've got a PM inbound.
razr390

Apex wrote: Tue Jun 27, 2017 9:29 pm @[user not found] you've got a PM inbound.
:notsure: :illuminati:
Apex

razr390 wrote: Tue Jun 27, 2017 9:30 pm
Apex wrote: Tue Jun 27, 2017 9:29 pm @[user not found] you've got a PM inbound.
:notsure: :illuminati:
:hue: :hue:
razr390

troyguitar wrote: Tue Jun 27, 2017 9:27 pm

Why does it have to be ONE person who does the job 24/7/365? That's what I don't understand. You aren't the only one in the world who can do it, so have a partner so you can take a god damn nap... If the role is that important (still don't see :wtf: you can possibly do to save a life over the phone when you're not a doctor or hostage negotiator) then surely the :waxer: who runs the company should be willing to hire you a partner.
I am sure that :[user not found]: and/or company has people under him that can handle the situation in some manner. But I think that :[user not found]: will always be their first point of contact. He can then delegate off to someone/group/etc
Apex

razr390 wrote: Tue Jun 27, 2017 9:33 pm
troyguitar wrote: Tue Jun 27, 2017 9:27 pm

I am sure that :[user not found]: and/or company has people under him that can handle the situation in some manner. But I think that :[user not found]: will always be their first point of contact. He can then delegate off to someone/group/etc
Or :[user not found]: is only contacted on off-hours when the situation requires his immediate attention. Lesser situations are handled by people below him.
wap

Apex wrote: Tue Jun 27, 2017 9:11 pm

:dat: :jimp:
razr390

Apex wrote: Tue Jun 27, 2017 9:37 pm
razr390 wrote: Tue Jun 27, 2017 9:33 pm
Or :[user not found]: is only contacted on off-hours when the situation requires his immediate attention. Lesser situations are handled by people below him.
:dat:
wap

I don't even have a company phone and only 2 or 3 people at work know my cell number. I could get one tomorrow, but I've resisted getting a company phone for years. I just want to be left the fuck alone the minute I walk out the front door of my office.
Apex

wap wrote: Tue Jun 27, 2017 9:44 pm I don't even have a company phone and only 2 or 3 people at work know my cell number. I could get one tomorrow, but I've resisted getting a company phone for years. I just want to be left the fuck alone the minute I walk out the front door of my office.
Hah, lots of people at work want me to get a company phone... I still don't have one, and am the only one in my department to not have one oddly enough.

:aintcare: when I'm on the road more I'll get one.
troyguitar

[user not found] wrote: Tue Jun 27, 2017 9:46 pm
troyguitar wrote:
I don't even know how to explain this to you. I don't say that to be difficult but you are so far out of reality I'd have to start at basic corporate budgeting and load balancing.
Put another way: Why does the buck stop with YOU when you don't own the company?

If you're on holiday, call someone above you. It doesn't make sense for one guy in middle management to be the ultimate life and money saver of the universe and the whole company would cease to exist without him... if you were really that important, you'd be the owner/CEO.