Dem bicicletas, doe

Health, fitness, and nutrition freaks, lets see those gainz.
Johnny_P
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue short bus

[user not found] wrote: Mon Jun 19, 2017 2:08 pm
Detroit wrote: Mon Jun 19, 2017 12:37 pm My dad is building some ridiculous Pivot CF something and his 2 year-old BRAND NEW Giant Trance X1 is just sitting in his garage unused. He bought it to leave it In AZ when he vists out there, but my sister who was going to buy a house hasn't and doesn't have anywhere to put it.

Last night we were chatting and he told me I can take it if I agree to ride with him after work.

:fuckyeah:

I've ridden it a few times, and it's epic. I'm stoked. Moar time with pops and on an epic new bike.

My 2010 Giant Trance X2 got smooth tires (well, smooth in the middle, knobby on the edges) for urban duty. It's 5/7.
Bring your dad to Raystown?

When we doing this breh.
Pretty sure Lisa would be down for Raystown. Would need to rent her a bike or something though.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

Johnny_P wrote: Mon Jun 19, 2017 2:06 pm
Detroit wrote: Mon Jun 19, 2017 12:37 pm My dad is building some ridiculous Pivot CF something and his 2 year-old BRAND NEW Giant Trance X1 is just sitting in his garage unused. He bought it to leave it In AZ when he vists out there, but my sister who was going to buy a house hasn't and doesn't have anywhere to put it.

Last night we were chatting and he told me I can take it if I agree to ride with him after work.

I've ridden it a few times, and it's epic. I'm stoked. Moar time with pops and on an epic new bike.

My 2010 Giant Trance X2 got smooth tires (well, smooth in the middle, knobby on the edges) for urban duty. It's 5/7.
Is his a 29er? Or 27.5? I can't remember but I think they switched over from the smaller wheels on all their bikes by now.

Pivot is :waxer: and really IDK if there's much to be gained because the Giant Maestro suspension is vv good.
27.5 I love it.

He's on this kick of blowing money like crazy. The frame alone was like $3k. He said he's going to be in the thing for ~$6k. It's going to be stupid light, and the Giant isn't. He said he likes the way the Pivot rides WAY better (his friend has one). Whatever, I'll take it.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
ChrisoftheNorth

[user not found] wrote: Mon Jun 19, 2017 2:08 pm

Bring your dad to Raystown?

When we doing this breh.
He'd probably be game. The summer booked up fast, but I wonder if something in the early fall could work.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
ChrisoftheNorth

I need to get my fatass in shape, doe.

Plan is to MTB 2 nights a week, with road the other nights. I might be in OK shape by the end of summer.
Johnny_P

Detroit wrote: Mon Jun 19, 2017 2:23 pm I need to get my fatass in shape, doe.

Plan is to MTB 2 nights a week, with road the other nights. I might be in OK shape by the end of summer.
I think this year is a wash for me. Nothing I do will make me fast this season. Oh well :aintcare: I'll just go find sweet jumps in the woods.

Still salty that the i9 wheels were over-hyped forum shit too.
ChrisoftheNorth

Dis bike:

https://www.giant-bicycles.com/us/trance-27dot5-1-2015

He bought it on closeout from a local shop for like $3.5k with the intention of shipping it to AZ to keep it out there for when he visits. That never materialized, so he's ridden it maybe 10 times in the last 2 years.
ChrisoftheNorth

Johnny_P wrote: Mon Jun 19, 2017 2:25 pm
Detroit wrote: Mon Jun 19, 2017 2:23 pm I need to get my fatass in shape, doe.

I think this year is a wash for me. Nothing I do will make me fast this season. Oh well :aintcare: I'll just go find sweet jumps in the woods.

I won't be "fast" for ages, but I want to be able to bomb a trail without feeling like I'm going to have a heart attack. If I can drop some lbs too, that would be great.
Johnny_P

Detroit wrote: Mon Jun 19, 2017 2:27 pm Dis bike:

He bought it on closeout from a local shop for like $3.5k with the intention of shipping it to AZ to keep it out there for when he visits. That never materialized, so he's ridden it maybe 10 times in the last 2 years.
Solid bike right there. Aluminum is probably why it weighs a bit more. But that's not an issue really, it's likely more durable that way.
Johnny_P

Detroit wrote: Mon Jun 19, 2017 2:28 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Mon Jun 19, 2017 2:25 pm

I won't be "fast" for ages, but I want to be able to bomb a trail without feeling like I'm going to have a heart attack. If I can drop some lbs too, that would be great.
Yeah. Last time I was out with [user not found] we climbed Monster (a notoriously difficult long climb in the Wissahickon park) and I felt like my heart was going to rip out of my chest.
Johnny_P

I think I want to call Bikesmith and find out if they have any of these I can try out:

Hoon machine :megusta: Not fast but not the point.
ChrisoftheNorth

Johnny_P wrote: Mon Jun 19, 2017 2:29 pm
Detroit wrote: Mon Jun 19, 2017 2:27 pm Dis bike:

Solid bike right there. Aluminum is probably why it weighs a bit more. But that's not an issue really, it's likely more durable that way.
Being a fatass, the aluminum frame is preferred...as is the larger wheels (mine is a 26).

The Pivot also supposedly has less suspension travel, which he wanted. Meatchicken trails really don't need that much. But in my case, I'll take all the squish I can get.
Johnny_P

if that doesn't do it, it's likely Specialized Camber or Trek Fuel EX. I want 120mm+ travel on a 29er platform with minimum 34mm fork legs.
ChrisoftheNorth

[user not found] wrote: Mon Jun 19, 2017 2:30 pm
Detroit wrote: Mon Jun 19, 2017 2:22 pm
He'd probably be game. The summer booked up fast, but I wonder if something in the early fall could work.
Fall @ Raystown is a blast. Would be great for camping.
:notbad:
Johnny_P

Detroit wrote: Mon Jun 19, 2017 2:32 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Mon Jun 19, 2017 2:29 pm

Being a fatass, the aluminum frame is preferred...as is the larger wheels (mine is a 26).

The Pivot also supposedly has less suspension travel, which he wanted. Meatchicken trails really don't need that much. But in my case, I'll take all the squish I can get.
My hardtail came with 80mm travel. I removed a travel limiter and now rock 100mm. It's not enough.
ChrisoftheNorth

Johnny_P wrote: Mon Jun 19, 2017 2:34 pm
Detroit wrote: Mon Jun 19, 2017 2:32 pm

My hardtail came with 80mm travel. I removed a travel limiter and now rock 100mm. It's not enough.
Trance is 120mm (has been forever). I believe the Pivot he got is 100mm. I think 100mm is the sweet spot for this area, but 120mm is really a good do-all.
Apex
Drives: Abominable

[user not found] wrote: Mon Jun 19, 2017 2:09 pm Also, Baldpate on Saturday evening? 5:30 at the intersection of Brick Yard Road and Church Road.
I'm in with my :baby: 26'er. :lol:
Apex

[user not found] wrote: Mon Jun 19, 2017 2:53 pm
Apex wrote: Mon Jun 19, 2017 2:48 pm

I'm in with my :baby: 26'er. :lol:

Time to teach you Mercer boys how to climb.
Climbing? Something I can do better than fled. :lol:
Apex

[user not found] wrote: Mon Jun 19, 2017 3:02 pm
Apex wrote: Mon Jun 19, 2017 2:57 pm

Climbing? Something I can do better than fled. :lol:
It'll be a good challenge for everyone - the loop is about 17 miles, but half of that will be social cruising back to the lot via the canal path on the flat.
Should be a good ride. Weather looks to be :notbad: so far.
Apex

[user not found] wrote: Mon Jun 19, 2017 5:08 pm Also, here's the route we'd follow on Saturday, except we'd start at the intersection of Church and Brick yard instead of PA side of Wash Xing: https://www.strava.com/activities/429068314
Looks like some solid climbing.
fledonfoot
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Taco Truk | Power Wheels Heep

where's parking?
Johnny_P

Dang this looks awesome...

https://www.pinkbike.com/news/kona-hei- ... -2016.html

Lots of good reviews on this bike. 120mm Fox 34 up front with the Fit4 damper, XT drivetrain, carbon frame with the Orbea-like flexing seat stays, and about 27 lbs. Downside is only 100mm rear travel which kind of sucks and only 3 year warranty on carbon frames. :flaccid:

But. Slack geometry like the Process 111 but should climb better and is about 3-4 lbs lighter. Looks killer.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Hooptie Crotchfruit Carrier

Johnny_P wrote: Tue Jun 20, 2017 12:23 pm Dang this looks awesome...

mmm.

That seems like the kind of bike that would kill it in Indiana. What I've ridden so far, the trails are pretty technical with switchbacks everywhere, but we also have some random big obstacles and the occasional steep descents. You sort of need a bike that can do everything - pedal efficiently to maintain speed between more difficult sections, handle tight switchbacks, but be capable of handling itself on a big descent.

A bike like that should be able to do handle any descents around here while still being quick in the more cross country sections. I'll still get a nicer hardtail to start, but something like that in a couple years would be :dong: .
fledonfoot
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Lots of good reviews on this bike. 120mm Fox 34 up front with the Fit4 damper, XT drivetrain, carbon frame with the Orbea-like flexing seat stays, and about 27 lbs. Downside is only 100mm rear travel which kind of sucks and only 3 year warranty on carbon frames. :flaccid:

But. Slack geometry like the Process 111 but should climb better and is about 3-4 lbs lighter. Looks killer.
Fuck, that's a good looking bike... if it was 120mm rear travel I think it'd be just about perfect. I think that's the sweet spot for the east coast. 140mm is a little overkill for me, but if I ever take the Orbea to Mountain Creek or something it should be pretty well at home.
Johnny_P

fledonfoot wrote: Tue Jun 20, 2017 2:43 pm

Fuck, that's a good looking bike... if it was 120mm rear travel I think it'd be just about perfect. I think that's the sweet spot for the east coast. 140mm is a little overkill for me, but if I ever take the Orbea to Mountain Creek or something it should be pretty well at home.
Honestly this and the Occam seem pretty similar, the difference being the Hei Hei loses out on a :jalepenis: of travel and has less of a warranty.
fledonfoot
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Johnny_P wrote: Tue Jun 20, 2017 2:46 pm
fledonfoot wrote: Tue Jun 20, 2017 2:43 pm

Honestly this and the Occam seem pretty similar, the difference being the Hei Hei loses out on a :jalepenis: of travel and has less of a warranty.
how much is the Hei Hei?