Off-topic? You mean on-topic!
wap
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue Meanie

razr390 wrote: Mon Jun 19, 2017 12:41 pm
wap wrote: Mon Jun 19, 2017 12:36 pm

:millennial: :rolleyes:
:whalecum: to adulting, brah. You don't usually know what the future, or the consequence of your decisions, will bring and at some point you just gotta hold your nose and jump in. Can't dither forever like some :crang: who can't decide whether or not to move out of mom's basement. You clearly love LE, you'll regret it forever if you don't :doit: , or at least try it.
I suppose. I just am happy that this is somewhat of a normalized sentiment.

I felt like I could've made some good contacts in D.C.

I really feel like I am missing out bad by not taking the internship.
It's VERY normal for someone at your stage in life, or hell, for anyone contemplating a change.

I agree that the internshit would have probably been good for you. But, you gotta :dealwithit: the decisions you make.
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
wap

[user not found] wrote: Mon Jun 19, 2017 12:43 pm
wap wrote:
:fuckyeah:

When are you going?
What are you doing?
Where are you staying?
Start of August!
No clue!
La Concha Renaissance in San Juan.

Normally we would stay in a smaller hotel but it's a Marriott property and I have loads of points so... Free!
It's gonna be HOT in August, but :aintcare: You'll have a great time!
Viejo San Juan is pretty cool and El Morro is a neat thing to see. Otherwise, i'm sure you'll find tons of :fuckyeah: things to do.
I'd definitely use the free points since you have them.

How long are you staying?
wap

[user not found] wrote: Mon Jun 19, 2017 12:45 pm
razr390 wrote:I'm in a bit of a crisis meself.

:sad:

Kind of blah feeling thinking about options. Still teetering back and forth with the decision of whether I really want to be :narc: or not.

my biggest issue is that I get super excited at the idealistic and romantic versions of anything I put my mind to and once I get results I start feeling :notsure: about it.

It's one of those things that "sound" and "feel" better when you're thinking of them, not when you're doing them.

Unless it's completely normal. Idk. Still sort of regretting not taking that state department internship, just for thennetworking and whatnot.
Remember everything sucks for the first five years
Wisdom.
wap

[user not found] wrote: Mon Jun 19, 2017 12:46 pm
wap wrote:
:millennial: :rolleyes:
:whalecum: to adulting, brah. You don't usually know what the future, or the consequence of your decisions, will bring and at some point you just gotta hold your nose and jump in. Can't dither forever like some :crang: who can't decide whether or not to move out of mom's basement. You clearly love LE, you'll regret it forever if you don't :doit: , or at least try it.
I love you
:fuckyeah: :[user not found]: :sissyfight:
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

This is just me, but I have more respect for someone who recognizes it's time to fucking adult and unpaid internshits really just aren't an option anymore. You can intern forever building relationshits, etc...but at the end of the day, it's glorified school, it's not getting you much closer to being an adult. My company doesn't even extend offers to people for internships if they're done with school...mostly for the reason that it's time to adult.

I think passing on an internship and being a contributing member of society is the right play.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
razr390
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: MK7.5 on 87

[user not found] wrote: Mon Jun 19, 2017 1:22 pm
wap wrote:
It's VERY normal for someone at your stage in life, or hell, for anyone contemplating a change.

I agree that the internshit would have probably been good for you. But, you gotta :dealwithit: the decisions you make.
:dat: Now you have lots of opportunities to throw yourself into your current work to do something totally different.
I guess.

We shall see
:doughnut: :narc: :doughnut:
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:05 pm DFD. The forum where everybody makes the same choices and then tells anybody trying to join the club that they are the stupidest motherfucker to ever walk the earth.
wap

[user not found] wrote: Mon Jun 19, 2017 12:47 pm
Detroit wrote:Nothing is permanent and opportunity costs don't exist IMO. Even if you take a job you don't like, you'll learn things/experiences/meet people that you otherwise wouldn't. You absolutely cannot go wrong as long as you're working.

I say all this because you sound exactly like I did at your age. So full of regrats and uncertainty. Now, I'm doing the job I said I would do in Undergrad, but took a real ass-backward way of getting here. The journey was great, and I wouldn't trade it for anything. I did shit I never in my wildest dreams thought I would do, and learned a ton in the process.

YOU ARE FINE
I love you
:(
And hear I thought we were exclusive.
:jelly:
wap

[user not found] wrote: Mon Jun 19, 2017 12:48 pm
Detroit wrote: :triggered: Dat :alpo:
Flights are paid for with points too. Image
:fuckyeah: More :alpo:
Johnny_P
Drives: Blue short bus

Detroit wrote: Mon Jun 19, 2017 1:07 pm
razr390 wrote: Mon Jun 19, 2017 1:04 pm I have a feeling I am :eeyore:

I should see a :therapist:
Absolutely. Seeing a :therapist: changed my life.
IDK if my life changed but I do think of things a bit differently now that I'm in relationship therapy sessions. Been helpful.
wap

[user not found] wrote: Mon Jun 19, 2017 12:54 pm
troyguitar wrote:
Must be nice...
Yup, being on the road 20 weeks a year and away from my family is nice... :rolleyes:
:popcorn:
ChrisoftheNorth

Johnny_P wrote: Mon Jun 19, 2017 1:26 pm
Detroit wrote: Mon Jun 19, 2017 1:07 pm
Absolutely. Seeing a :therapist: changed my life.
IDK if my life changed but I do think of things a bit differently now that I'm in relationship therapy sessions. Been helpful.
Without getting into too much detail, I was self-sabotaging myself both professionally and personally without even knowing it. The therapist really helped me open my eyes to what was wrong with me and how to fix it.

I don't really buy couples therapy because I really think it's better one-on-one. Seems like it would stir up more trouble than it would help. Infamous and I went to different therapists at the same time to work on our own problems and found our relationship strengthened significantly as a result...and we were doing it for ourselves, not each other. Individual mental health is critical for LYFE.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
wap

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Mon Jun 19, 2017 1:07 pm
razr390 wrote: Mon Jun 19, 2017 1:04 pm I have a feeling I am :eeyore:

I should see a :therapist:
#welcometoadulting
:dat:

:dealwithit:
wap

razr390 wrote: Mon Jun 19, 2017 1:10 pm
Big Brain Bradley wrote: Mon Jun 19, 2017 1:07 pm

#welcometoadulting
:nope:
:disappoint:
Johnny_P

Detroit wrote: Mon Jun 19, 2017 12:31 pm
razr390 wrote: Mon Jun 19, 2017 12:24 pm I'm in a bit of a crisis meself.

:sad:

Kind of blah feeling thinking about options. Still teetering back and forth with the decision of whether I really want to be :narc: or not.

my biggest issue is that I get super excited at the idealistic and romantic versions of anything I put my mind to and once I get results I start feeling :notsure: about it.

It's one of those things that "sound" and "feel" better when you're thinking of them, not when you're doing them.

Unless it's completely normal. Idk. Still sort of regretting not taking that state department internship, just for thennetworking and whatnot.
:bruh:

You did the best thing you could have done...took a damned job to get out there and get experience rolling. Most just sit and cry in mom's basement because they can't figure out what to do. The BEST thing you can do is what you did...take a job and start getting experience. As time goes on, you'll get more experiences, and make more moves and eventually you'll figure out what you want to do...which is all relative. I don't think anyone ever knows 100% what they want to do. I know I don't, but my career has consistently moved in a positive direction because I just keep trying shit out.

Income > no income. I mean, if the internship would have led to a job afterwards then maybe it would be worth it, but if you don't have savings to bank on for a bit, then unpaid jobs fucking blow.
ChrisoftheNorth

I actually love adulting. There's some shit that sucks, but the overall freedom is :fuckyeah:
Johnny_P

Detroit wrote: Mon Jun 19, 2017 1:30 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Mon Jun 19, 2017 1:26 pm

Without getting into too much detail, I was self-sabotaging myself both professionally and personally without even knowing it. The therapist really helped me open my eyes to what was wrong with me and how to fix it.

I don't really buy couples therapy because I really think it's better one-on-one. Seems like it would stir up more trouble than it would help. Infamous and I went to different therapists at the same time to work on our own problems and found our relationship strengthened significantly as a result...and we were doing it for ourselves, not each other. Individual mental health is critical for LYFE.
True.

We did couples counseling because no sex was destroying our relationship. Like I said it's been helpful but not mind blowing.
troyguitar
Drives: Trek Domane

[user not found] wrote: Mon Jun 19, 2017 1:21 pm
troyguitar wrote:
:bs:

Quit your job and get one with no travel if you'd rather do that. Otherwise, quit being a fucking :baby: about the fact that you're rich and getting richer by the moment. Oh no, you have to work occasionally for your insane amounts of money!? Cry me a fucking river. Want more family time? Then take less money. You have enough.

Hell your wife makes enough to support you guys, just quit entirely so you can be home every day with your family. You'd rather do that than work, right?

...or would you actually rather have all the money and bitch about having to work for it?
When was I bitching? I never complain about my job here because everything is within my control to change. You crying that other people have things you don't have and them pointing out that it's not all the sunshine and unicorns that make it out to be isn't bitching.

You're the biggest cry baby on this damn forum and do nothing to really change it then take it out on everyone else. THEN we find out your wife makes more than a huge percentage of the folks on here. You're a hypocrite.

Also, the Mrs makes 40k a year... Hardly enough to support a family of three.
:rolleyes:

So is it nice to be rich and get free shit in exchange for working or would you rather stay home with your family and have less stuff? You seem conflicted when you brag about your free shit and then say that you'd rather be home... it's in your control to stay home. Go ahead and do it if that's how you feel.
Last edited by troyguitar on Mon Jun 19, 2017 1:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Johnny_P

Detroit wrote: Mon Jun 19, 2017 1:34 pm I actually love adulting. There's some shit that sucks, but the overall freedom is :fuckyeah:
I can almost do whatever I want whenever I want. Almost. Work gets in the way. But overall being 32 is way better than being 16.
wap

[user not found] wrote: Mon Jun 19, 2017 1:28 pm
wap wrote:
It's gonna be HOT in August, but :aintcare: You'll have a great time!
Viejo San Juan is pretty cool and El Morro is a neat thing to see. Otherwise, i'm sure you'll find tons of :fuckyeah: things to do.
I'd definitely use the free points since you have them.

How long are you staying?
The wife's dad was born there and lived there till he was thirteen (he cleaned churches after school and on weekends from the time he was five and they used the money to move to Pittsburgh) so we are going to visit some family at least one of the days. The rest if the time will be touristy stuff in the rainforest and Old San Juan.

Five days. We haven't taken a real vacation just the two of us since our honeymoon 7 years ago. I can't wait!
:word:
Sounds like it'll be a great time. A coworker/friend's wife is from there and he goes pretty often and talks a lot about the rain forests and the bioluminescent critters in caves.

Dare I say it, but you deserve a vacation!
:triggered:
ChrisoftheNorth

Johnny_P wrote: Mon Jun 19, 2017 1:35 pm
Detroit wrote: Mon Jun 19, 2017 1:30 pm

True.

We did couples counseling because no sex was destroying our relationship. Like I said it's been helpful but not mind blowing.
Not to get personal, but you guys should really consider individual therapy. It's amazing what lies under the surface keeping you from being 5/7 :fuckyeah:

Also, therapy won't fix no :dock: I can't imagine...
Johnny_P

troyguitar wrote: Mon Jun 19, 2017 1:36 pm
[user not found] wrote: Mon Jun 19, 2017 1:21 pm

When was I bitching? I never complain about my job here because everything is within my control to change. You crying that other people have things you don't have and them pointing out that it's not all the sunshine and unicorns that make it out to be isn't bitching.

You're the biggest cry baby on this damn forum and do nothing to really change it then take it out on everyone else. THEN we find out your wife makes more than a huge percentage of the folks on here. You're a hypocrite.

Also, the Mrs makes 40k a year... Hardly enough to support a family of three.

So is it nice to be rich and get free shit in exchange for working or would you rather stay home with your family and have less stuff? You seem conflicted when you brag about your free shit and then say that you'd rather be home... it's in your control to stay home. Go ahead and do it if that's how you feel.
I think what [user not found] is saying is... If he was truly unhappy with his job and it was cutting too much into family time he would get up and change it. Bitching about one aspect of a job doesn't mean you hate your life and your job and want to jump off a bridge.
ChrisoftheNorth

Johnny_P wrote: Mon Jun 19, 2017 1:36 pm
Detroit wrote: Mon Jun 19, 2017 1:34 pm I actually love adulting. There's some shit that sucks, but the overall freedom is :fuckyeah:
I can almost do whatever I want whenever I want. Almost. Work gets in the way. But overall being 32 is way better than being 16.
Johnny_P

Detroit wrote: Mon Jun 19, 2017 1:40 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Mon Jun 19, 2017 1:35 pm
True.

Not to get personal, but you guys should really consider individual therapy. It's amazing what lies under the surface keeping you from being 5/7 :fuckyeah:

Won't fix it but it has made a difference. We're up to like once a week or week and a half now which is a huge improvement.

She does individual therapy. I probably should too. Might be cheaper than couples sessions which are :waxer:
ChrisoftheNorth

Johnny_P wrote: Mon Jun 19, 2017 1:43 pm
Detroit wrote: Mon Jun 19, 2017 1:40 pm

Won't fix it but it has made a difference. We're up to like once a week or week and a half now which is a huge improvement.

She does individual therapy. I probably should too. Might be cheaper than couples sessions which are :waxer:
Yea man, think about it. Therapy is fucking awesome, you'd be amazed how much it could help...with the right dr.
Johnny_P

[user not found] wrote: Mon Jun 19, 2017 1:45 pm
troyguitar wrote:

Traveling is the one part of my job I would change. As one part is outweighed by all the other parts, why would I change it?

You don't seem to understand that life isn't perfect, I don't expect it to be perfect, and I can comment that a single part of it isn't ideal without "bitching."

Would I rather be home than on the road? Sure. If it was a big enough burden would I find another job? Yup! Does my salary and the airline and hotel points make up for it? It does well enough.

I don't understand what you don't understand.
I'm not getting it either