Car Talk 1: Passengers matter

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
Gberg2119
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: W///

Doing my occasional Ford and Chevy inventory browsing when I came across this. Loaded 17 GT premium in lightning blue with 401A, and PP. Pretty much exactly what I want. I check the diller site and they have it listed for $38k after $5400 in incentives.

On the chevy side, the lack of :manuel: Camaros is :disappoint:. There are only 4 :manuel: 2SS coupes around me according to the chevy diller inventory search. Does chevy dill on ordered cars?

http://shop.ford.com/inventory/mustang/ ... ce=show-si

http://www.fullertonford.com/new/Ford/2 ... epth=10:11
Johnny_P
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue short bus

Gberg2119 wrote:Doing my occasional Ford and Chevy inventory browsing when I came across this. Loaded 17 GT premium in lightning blue with 401A, and PP. Pretty much exactly what I want. I check the diller site and they have it listed for $38k after $5400 in incentives.

On the chevy side, the lack of :manuel: Camaros is :disappoint:. There are only 4 :manuel: 2SS coupes around me according to the chevy diller inventory search. Does chevy dill on ordered cars?

http://shop.ford.com/inventory/mustang/ ... ce=show-si

http://www.fullertonford.com/new/Ford/2 ... epth=10:11
Nice! You should go check it out!
Hansgustaf
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: SdKfz 181

[user not found] wrote:
Detroit wrote: :dat:

The forum changed, but the people remained. Could get worse even.
Sounds perfect

You rang?
my name is yan but i go by igor and i live under teh stairs
Davestr
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Drives: 17 M2 14 M235

Davestr
Drives: 17 M2 14 M235

Light snack for Detroit the resident guru of the industry - http://www.wsj.com/articles/bmw-beats-f ... 1478242262
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

Davestr wrote:Light snack for Detroit the resident guru of the industry - http://www.wsj.com/articles/bmw-beats-f ... 1478242262
This is a really interesting time. It takes 4 or so years to develop a new vehicle. Gas is free, people are eating up every SUV they can get, and OEMs want to react. Problem is, by the time these things come out, gas will be back up and pressure for fuel efficiency will be greater than ever.

And more importantly, it's time for OEMs to start setting up for declining profits. Growth is done, it's time to carefully manage capacity and capital expenditures (which makes it really tough to develop new products) to weather a downturn. That's why Q4 is going to be the best time ever to buy a new car, OEMs know it's the last chance to post massive sales and profits before the belt tightening gets serious.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain
Drives: straight past the apex

Detroit wrote:
Davestr wrote:Light snack for Detroit the resident guru of the industry - http://www.wsj.com/articles/bmw-beats-f ... 1478242262
This is a really interesting time. It takes 4 or so years to develop a new vehicle. Gas is free, people are eating up every SUV they can get, and OEMs want to react. Problem is, by the time these things come out, gas will be back up and pressure for fuel efficiency will be greater than ever.

And more importantly, it's time for OEMs to start setting up for declining profits. Growth is done, it's time to carefully manage capacity and capital expenditures (which makes it really tough to develop new products) to weather a downturn. That's why Q4 is going to be the best time ever to buy a new car, OEMs know it's the last chance to post massive sales and profits before the belt tightening gets serious.
hey if they want to sell me and i3 at cost right now i'll bite :D
brain go brrrrrr
ChrisoftheNorth

Big Brain Bradley wrote:
Detroit wrote: This is a really interesting time. It takes 4 or so years to develop a new vehicle. Gas is free, people are eating up every SUV they can get, and OEMs want to react. Problem is, by the time these things come out, gas will be back up and pressure for fuel efficiency will be greater than ever.

hey if they want to sell me and i3 at cost right now i'll bite :D
Love the i3. Wish the range extender extended range farther, doe. It's really limiting.

Volt is the right answer to that question.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Trek Domane

I feel like I'd rather just get the hideous new prius over any electric car, but there are no such thing as charging stations in KY.

$24k MSRP with TONS of hatch space and 55 mpg on 87 is impossible to beat for a normal person.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain
Drives: straight past the apex

Detroit wrote:
Big Brain Bradley wrote: hey if they want to sell me and i3 at cost right now i'll bite :D
Love the i3. Wish the range extender extended range farther, doe. It's really limiting.

Volt is the right answer to that question.
yea, the volt really is the answer right now
brain go brrrrrr
ChrisoftheNorth

troyguitar wrote:I feel like I'd rather just get the hideous new prius over any electric car, but there are no such thing as charging stations in KY.

$24k MSRP with TONS of hatch space and 55 mpg on 87 is impossible to beat for a normal person.
I'm shocked at how many charging stations there are in places you wouldn't expect. There's one company that handles the vast majority of charging stations in public areas, and they have an app for finding charging. It's crazy.

The problem with the Prius is how soul-sucking it is to drive. So appliancy, it hurts. The Volt actually feels sporty in handling and off-the-line acceleration.
Johnny_P

troyguitar wrote:I feel like I'd rather just get the hideous new prius over any electric car, but there are no such thing as charging stations in KY.

They don't really exist in Philly either. Lots of priuses on the road because of that. A few other electrics but those are :waxer: s that have their own garage and whatnot.
ChrisoftheNorth

And this is why EVs will take a LONG time to take over. If you rent and/or live in an urban environment, there's no hope of being able to make it a viable option.

You need either a house with a garage (or dedicated parking spot I guess) and/or a place to charge at work or something.
Johnny_P

Detroit wrote:And this is why EVs will take a LONG time to take over. If you rent and/or live in an urban environment, there's no hope of being able to make it a viable option.

You need either a house with a garage (or dedicated parking spot I guess) and/or a place to charge at work or something.
Which is stupid because that's where EVs make sense. Urban stop and go 0-30-0 style.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

I'll just keep my :poorvette: .
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

We need commitment from the government to put charging stations everywhere like in Norway before EVs ever become wide scale practical.
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
ChrisoftheNorth

Johnny_P wrote:
Detroit wrote:And this is why EVs will take a LONG time to take over. If you rent and/or live in an urban environment, there's no hope of being able to make it a viable option.

Which is stupid because that's where EVs make sense. Urban stop and go 0-30-0 style.
:dat:

Volt can go forever on a charge in stop and go. Problem is charging it in the first place.
ChrisoftheNorth

wap wrote:We need commitment from the government to put charging stations everywhere like in Norway before EVs ever become wide scale practical.
:dat: and :yeahok:
ChrisoftheNorth

D Griff wrote:I'll just keep my :poorvette: .
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

Detroit wrote:
wap wrote:We need commitment from the government to put charging stations everywhere like in Norway before EVs ever become wide scale practical.
:dat: and :yeahok:
Yea, I know. :(
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
Johnny_P

Detroit wrote:
Johnny_P wrote: Which is stupid because that's where EVs make sense. Urban stop and go 0-30-0 style.

Volt can go forever on a charge in stop and go. Problem is charging it in the first place.
Dat EV parking spot from the city doe. If I had parking in front of my house (I don't, parking only on the right side of the street) then I could get an EV and have a dedicated spot. But GF's house is on the left side :rolleyes:
ChrisoftheNorth

Johnny_P wrote:
Detroit wrote: :dat:

Dat EV parking spot from the city doe. If I had parking in front of my house (I don't, parking only on the right side of the street) then I could get an EV and have a dedicated spot. But GF's house is on the left side :rolleyes:
I thought you said the spot was open to any EV and you'd still have to pay for it? Which is 5/7 :nope:
Johnny_P

Detroit wrote:
Johnny_P wrote: Dat EV parking spot from the city doe. If I had parking in front of my house (I don't, parking only on the right side of the street) then I could get an EV and have a dedicated spot. But GF's house is on the left side :rolleyes:
I thought you said the spot was open to any EV and you'd still have to pay for it? Which is 5/7 :nope:
Yeah it's technically any EV can park there. You pay something like $150/yr or whatever plus install costs of the poles and the electrical charger contraption by licensed electrician :waxer:

But there aren't any other EVs or plug in hybrids. Because there's nowhere to charge them. And it's your charger that you can lock out so if an EV parks there they can't juice up.
ChrisoftheNorth

Johnny_P wrote:
Detroit wrote: I thought you said the spot was open to any EV and you'd still have to pay for it? Which is 5/7 :nope:
Yeah it's technically any EV can park there. You pay something like $150/yr or whatever plus install costs of the poles and the electrical charger contraption by licensed electrician :waxer:

But there aren't any other EVs or plug in hybrids. Because there's nowhere to charge them. And it's your charger that you can lock out so if an EV parks there they can't juice up.
:notbad:

Still, at .gov costs...that's probably $10k.
Johnny_P

Detroit wrote: :notbad:

Still, at .gov costs...that's probably $10k.
Totally. Either way it would allow me to get something interesting like an i3 or CPO model S. But can't because wrong side of road.