OT Deep Space Waste 9

Off-topic? You mean on-topic!
Apex
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Abominable

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2017 12:27 pm also, where the fuck is dplac
Preparing to drive down with his dad to get the CTS-V wagon?
troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Trek Domane

Do Work, Son wrote:
wap wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2017 11:36 am :dat:
I made sure I have zero unread by the end of the day, and I usually empty my trash daily as well.

Admittedly, I don't get CC'd on nearly as many you you all seem to. Benefit of working for a smaller company, I guess. I probably get less than 150-200 emails per typical day, about 40%-50% of which get deleted almost immediately.
I'm a department manager on dozens of distribution lists and part of like six projects with their own distribution lists. What's weird is that despite not having a reputation as a micromanager people feel the need to CC me on everything...EVERYthing. Every. Single. Thing.
I used to do that just so everyone would have everything in writing all of the time.
Do Work, Son
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Drives: CX-5

But I don't need to have 95% of this in writing.
#AllPostsMatter
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

Do Work, Son wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2017 12:27 pm
wap wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2017 11:36 am

:dat:
I made sure I have zero unread by the end of the day, and I usually empty my trash daily as well.

Admittedly, I don't get CC'd on nearly as many you you all seem to. Benefit of working for a smaller company, I guess. I probably get less than 150-200 emails per typical day, about 40%-50% of which get deleted almost immediately.
I'm a department manager on dozens of distribution lists and part of like six projects with their own distribution lists. What's weird is that despite not having a reputation as a micromanager people feel the need to CC me on everything...EVERYthing. Every. Single. Thing.
:disgust:
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
Do Work, Son

They confuse me with someone who cares.
#AllPostsMatter
troyguitar

Do Work, Son wrote:But I don't need to have 95% of this in writing.
Other people might need to have it in writing that you were made aware of it...

It's easier to give "too much" information than to decide who needs what, especially when you're not in charge. I can't read your mind so I'll let you filter stuff for yourself.
nuggstein
Drives: 2012 GTI

I try to be careful with who I CC so I don't inundate them with emails. Sometimes I CC just to be on the safe side. I should start BCCing random people.

Has anyone used BCC before? If so, when is a valid time to use BCC to an individual, not a group?
:crang:
Jaxper
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class
Drives: MK7 GTI

Woo, free pizza for lunch!
The panda hath arrived.
nuggstein

Jaxper wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2017 12:59 pm Woo, free pizza for lunch!
Can you snag me a slice, please?
Johnny_P
Drives: Blue short bus

Do Work, Son wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2017 10:56 am Image

I try to delete things as fast as I can but I can't keep up with the number of Reply All things I'm needlessly CCed on. That doesn't count all the things I've clicked on without deleting - I'm at 1,387 total.
Total? I have 26,000 emails in my inbox alone not counting sorted folders.

:aintcare:
Johnny_P

Employee: Did you get my email?

Me: Probably but why don't you tell me what was in it.
Johnny_P

CorvetteWaxer wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2017 10:17 am
Johnny_P wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2017 9:50 am

Heh.

4,609 unread in my inbox
Plus another 17 in auto-sorted inbox folders
Plus 6,246 deleted unread emails in my trash bin
Plus 2,308 unread in a folder that I just called "archive" from my last position here

13,180 unread emails.

THIRTEEN THOUSAND times that I was included on something that I didn't need to be. And there's the fucking problem with emails. Don't copy me on something for reasons. Come see me about an issue and we can discuss it. Email is so :rolleyes:
I feel your pain. this was clean on Saturday:

I am directly CC'd on every one of those and the folder with 3 unread is my priority inbox where I am directly on the to: line. This morning that folder had 280 emails in it that came in between 10pm and 3am.

Easily 50% are a waste of time.
:impressive:
Most :impressive:
Johnny_P

[user not found] wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2017 1:00 pm
troyguitar wrote: Other people might need to have it in writing that you were made aware of it...

It's easier to give "too much" information than to decide who needs what, especially when you're not in charge. I can't read your mind so I'll let you filter stuff for yourself.
I actually think this is a good policy but slippery slope. People that do this too much risk me not reading anything they send.
:dat:
I auto delete a bunch of stuff based on who sent it.
razr390
Drives: MK7.5 on 87

Jaxper wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2017 12:59 pm Woo, free pizza for lunch!
:fuckyeah:
:doughnut: :narc: :doughnut:
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:05 pm DFD. The forum where everybody makes the same choices and then tells anybody trying to join the club that they are the stupidest motherfucker to ever walk the earth.
troyguitar

troyguitar wrote: Other people might need to have it in writing that you were made aware of it...

I actually think this is a good policy but slippery slope. People that do this too much risk me not reading anything they send.
I generally was doing it for my own records. It doesn't hurt me if you don't read it, I only need to be able to prove that I told you about it. After one instance of "Why didn't you tell me about this?" that solution became clear... just tell the boss everything unless he explicitly says not to do so.
troyguitar

I also wouldn't stop sending people things in writing until they told me to do so in writing. Gotta document all of the things to be safe.
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

I currently have 58,496 emails in my general inbox, and many thousand more in about 18 other folders. All have been read. I should cull the old ones but :aintcare:
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
Do Work, Son

Which is my current situation. I can hold the Delete key for a solid 20 seconds at a time.
#AllPostsMatter
Do Work, Son

How big are your inboxes? I get like 25 or 50mb.
#AllPostsMatter
troyguitar

Now I use Gmail, so 15 GB. Currently 113255 emails in the Inbox, all of which are "read" - I don't bother with folders and instead use the google search to find whatever I want.
nuggstein

In the kitchen, at this client, there are pamphlets that read "We celebrate our LGBT colleagues."

How do you guys feel about this? It pisses me off. Why are we celebrating them? I do not view them as any different than you or I. To me, they are people, just human. Same for Black History month.

I saw a bumper sticker the other day that said "proud father of a lesbian daughter."

Ugh, really grinds my gears.
Apex
Drives: Abominable

Unexpected lunch on the company card today. :fuckyeah:

Chinese food :notbad:
Do Work, Son

nuggstein wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2017 1:41 pm In the kitchen, at this client, there are pamphlets that read "We celebrate our LGBT colleagues."

How do you guys feel about this? It pisses me off. Why are we celebrating them? I do not view them as any different than you or I. To me, they are people, just human. Same for Black History month.

I saw a bumper sticker the other day that said "proud father of a lesbian daughter."

Because for the last few generations we haven't not celebrated people who weren't straight white males, we actively repressed or excluded them.

In my experience gay workers don't want to be singled out or celebrated, they preferred to be treated like any other employee.

I have not seen an employee who, if such a sign were out, would be skipping around hugging everyone in flamboyant displays of affection over his appreciation.
#AllPostsMatter
SAWCE
Drives: Ebombtra

nuggstein wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2017 1:41 pm In the kitchen, at this client, there are pamphlets that read "We celebrate our LGBT colleagues."

I hightly doubt it means they're celebrated with parties and shit. It's more letting people know that they have a strict stance on bigotry and that people who are LGBT aren't just tolerated there, they're accepted.

Why does the dad's bumper sticker annoy you? It wasn't until very recently that coming out as gay was accepted, and I'd argue that unfortunately for many people, it's still not accepted. There are countless stories of parents disowning their children who came out as gay. I think it's rad that this guy loves his daughter so much that he doesn't care if the whole world (or whoever is driving behind him) knows that she's gay.
nuggstein

SAWCE wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2017 2:04 pm

I hightly doubt it means they're celebrated with parties and shit. It's more letting people know that they have a strict stance on bigotry and that people who are LGBT aren't just tolerated there, they're accepted.

Why does the dad's bumper sticker annoy you? It wasn't until very recently that coming out as gay was accepted, and I'd argue that unfortunately for many people, it's still not accepted. There are countless stories of parents disowning their children who came out as gay. I think it's rad that this guy loves his daughter so much that he doesn't care if the whole world (or whoever is driving behind him) knows that she's gay.
Oh, I know there's no parties...but still. Because to me...gay, not gay, transgender, or whatever...does not mean anything. There's no reason it should be announced. Like I said, they are just a person. There's no celebrating for straight people, or white people. No "white history month". No, "Asian History Month." "German History Month."

I forgot who it was....I think Morgan Freeman was like :wtf: at Black History Month.