Tire Kicking By Griff

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

CaleDeRoo wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 10:30 am
max225 wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 10:13 am

For 5-8k extra you can have one with 1/3 the the farts is the point. Why light money on fire for someone else’s abused car
And it might need 5-8k in deferred maintenance as well :iono:
At this age, maintenance is worth more than miles IMO.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

CaleDeRoo wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 10:06 am There's plenty of well kept E46s out there with 150-220k. I have no doubts with maintenance an e90 m3 can crest 200k with no issues if you keep up with it. If you want to Dan I say fuck it. If you put 5-8k and know the car is completely sorted what do the miles matter? The worn drivers seat would bug me but seats are out there for sale as well.
For 5-8k extra you can have one with 1/3 the the farts is the point. Why light money on fire for someone else’s abused car
The thing is, either way you have to light an additional $5 K on fire for rod bearings, cooling system, fluids, bushings, etc.

Say I bought that car or a similar one, dropped a couple of weekends and $5K into it. I'm $20K all in, and, IMO I would trust it more mechanically than say an 80K mile car without the $5K in maintenance done. It's also already high miles, so :aintcare: about putting more on/the value. It will always be a $15K car or whatever. I also could take it on track and :aintcare: about the paintwork and such too much.

I think many of y'all don't really understand what tracking a car really looks like. My C5 looked basically mint until I started tracking it and the paint is now pretty shitty. You will spin off track into gravel, get hit by flying tire chunks, etc. It is not something you do in a nice car that you're trying to keep BaT spec.

The truth is if I really want to keep doing track stuff, I already have a superior vehicle for it versus anything else being discussed. I am just a bit ready for a new experience.
max225
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

D Griff wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 10:55 am

The thing is, either way you have to light an additional $5 K on fire for rod bearings, cooling system, fluids, bushings, etc.

Say I bought that car or a similar one, dropped a couple of weekends and $5K into it. I'm $20K all in, and, IMO I would trust it more mechanically than say an 80K mile car without the $5K in maintenance done. It's also already high miles, so :aintcare: about putting more on/the value. It will always be a $15K car or whatever. I also could take it on track and :aintcare: about the paintwork and such too much.

I think many of y'all don't really understand what tracking a car really looks like. My C5 looked basically mint until I started tracking it and the paint is now pretty shitty. You will spin off track into gravel, get hit by flying tire chunks, etc. It is not something you do in a nice car that you're trying to keep BaT spec.

The truth is if I really want to keep doing track stuff, I already have a superior vehicle for it versus anything else being discussed. I am just a bit ready for a new experience.
I hear you let me look for some others. It’s not like the 180k mile example is mint as far as maintenance goes. I have had more bmws than anyone else on this forum... (I am pretty sure). And let me tell you
These cars do not age like a C5. Which I have also had for a long time. Bmws get really really finicky with over 100k miles.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

max225 wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 10:58 am
D Griff wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 10:55 am

I hear you let me look for some others. It’s not like the 180k mile example is mint as far as maintenance goes. I have had more bmws than anyone else on this forum... (I am pretty sure). And let me tell you
These cars do not age like a C5. Which I have also had for a long time. Bmws get really really finicky with over 100k miles.
You are likely right... it is probably not a great choice for me in general as I don't want to wrench every weekend. I don't mind spending one day every month or two, a weekend quarterly, etc. but there are other hobbies I enjoy.

It is just a :neat: car that I really like and does everything outside of the maintenance/reliability piece well.
Apex
Drives: Abominable

D Griff wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 11:04 am
max225 wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 10:58 am

You are likely right... it is probably not a great choice for me in general as I don't want to wrench every weekend. I don't mind spending one day every month or two, a weekend quarterly, etc. but there are other hobbies I enjoy.

It is just a :neat: car that I really like and does everything outside of the maintenance/reliability piece well.
Griff, if you wanted I can put you in touch with my buddy who preps cars for track days/racing. Mostly BMWs and Porsches, if you wanted any insight into what these cars really need. They’re the on-site shop for Watkins Glen IIRC too.

But that’s real world, hands on experience; so not really worth much.
ChrisoftheNorth

Apex wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 11:14 am

Griff, if you wanted I can put you in touch with my buddy who preps cars for track days/racing. Mostly BMWs and Porsches, if you wanted any insight into what these cars really need. They’re the on-site shop for Watkins Glen IIRC too.

I'm just curious what they tend to do for maintenance (more than just accelerated routine items?) and what they've actually seen in terms of failures resulting from track activity. So much gets blown up on the internet, would be interesting to hear real feedback without feelings.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: C5

LSS :neat:

Last edited by CaleDeRoo on Tue Feb 23, 2021 11:56 am, edited 2 times in total.
Apex
Drives: Abominable

CaleDeRoo wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 11:45 am

:dat:
He gets to work on some really cool machinery.
max225

All those mods ... and a sunroof :wtf:
ChrisoftheNorth

max225 wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 12:00 pm

It's way easier to find a car with a sunroof than one without, sadly. :whocares:
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

That was in 2017. The car wasn't specced from new by the owner :iono:
max225

Detroit wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 12:03 pm
max225 wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 12:00 pm
It's way easier to find a car with a sunroof than one without, sadly. :whocares:
Is it? I had no issues. The carbon roof is standard someone has to ORDER, The 90lb addition
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

I would definitely be interested in some :fakenews: feedback from real race people on both makes, honestly. I still am fairly interested in both a Boxster/Cayman and a few BMWs.
ChrisoftheNorth

max225 wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 12:09 pm
Detroit wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 12:03 pm
Is it? I had no issues. The carbon roof is standard someone has to ORDER, The 90lb addition
It was last time I looked, but it's been a while.

Dealers order cars, not people. Sunroofs are good for residuals and customers tend to like them a lot.
max225

Detroit wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 2:02 pm
max225 wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 12:09 pm

Dealers order cars, not people. Sunroofs are good for residuals and customers tend to like them a lot.
I dunno... people HATE on them on the bimmerforums. It's like not getting the chrono package on the Poorschas
ChrisoftheNorth

max225 wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 2:10 pm
Detroit wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 2:02 pm

I dunno... people HATE on them on the bimmerforums. It's like not getting the chrono package on the Poorschas
They do...but those people buying used vehicles don't order new ones...dealers do.
max225

Detroit wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 2:13 pm
max225 wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 2:10 pm

They do...but those people buying used vehicles don't order new ones...dealers do.
Just sharing... I specifically skipped on the sunroof equipped ones when I was looking for my F80. It seemed like more than 50% had the Carboner roof.
ChrisoftheNorth

max225 wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 2:14 pm
Detroit wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 2:13 pm
Just sharing... I specifically skipped on the sunroof equipped ones when I was looking for my F80. It seemed like more than 50% had the Carboner roof.
:notbad:
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

I view sunroofs like Targas or convertibles.........they are ok at low speeds on a cloudy day. Otherwise:

1. Massive wind noise interrupts the toons, phone, or whatever I have going.
2. Sun destroys all visibility as it comes in on the wrong side of my sunglasses. This is the worst problem.
3. Entry point for bugs, road debris, detritus.
4. My skin is super northern European at this point, I burn like a motherf$#er

And that's not even factoring in the possibility of an Oktoberfest roof like Johnny's

That said I have two sunroofs and one targa top because most of the world feels I am 100% :wrong:
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
max225

Desertbreh wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 2:47 pm I view sunroofs like Targas or convertibles.........they are ok at low speeds on a cloudy day. Otherwise:

1. Massive wind noise interrupts the toons, phone, or whatever I have going.
2. Sun destroys all visibility as it comes in on the wrong side of my sunglasses. This is the worst problem.
3. Entry point for bugs, road debris, detritus.
4. My skin is super northern European at this point, I burn like a motherf$#er

And that's not even factoring in the possibility of an Oktoberfest roof like Johnny's

That said I have two sunroofs and one targa top because most of the world feels I am 100% :wrong:
https://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/showt ... 14&page=28

1611 forum bros agree, 422 disagree.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

I enjoy an open roof experience, I love popping my targa off, going topless in the :jeep: , or driving a true roadster. I wear sunscreen :doe:

Sunroof is kind of meh to me, I would take it or leave it depending on car. They rob headroom and as a relatively tall guy with a really long torso, that is a no from me, dog. My head legit was in the headliner in my wife's old Fusion with the seat all the way down... it was uncomfortable and made me hate driving that car. I've never had a sunroof in my own car, but I've had two 'verts and a targa. I think I could live with it in a BMW, ze Germans accel at head room.
ChrisoftheNorth

D Griff wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 7:09 pm I enjoy an open roof experience, I love popping my targa off, going topless in the :jeep: , or driving a true roadster. I wear sunscreen :doe:

Sunroof is kind of meh to me, I would take it or leave it depending on car. They rob headroom and as a relatively tall guy with a really long torso, that is a no from me, dog. My head legit was in the headliner in my wife's old Fusion with the seat all the way down... it was uncomfortable and made me hate driving that car. I've never had a sunroof in my own car, but I've had two 'verts and a targa. I think I could live with it in a BMW, ze Germans accel at head room.
:dat: on all.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

CaleDeRoo wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 4:51 pm
It's funny, this is such a good video... and yet I just can't get into these guys. Their quality is fantastic, but just :notsure:

The video just sort of makes me want a GT350 more than the M3.

Both are :drool: :doe:
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

D Griff wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 6:33 pm
CaleDeRoo wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 4:51 pm
It's funny, this is such a good video... and yet I just can't get into these guys. Their quality is fantastic, but just :notsure:

The video just sort of makes me want a GT350 more than the M3.

Both are :drool: :doe:
I think the M2 would do what you'd buy that M3 for but better in nearly every way.