2021 :plac: life!

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

fledonfoot wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 12:11 am
Desertbreh wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 11:32 pm

You PA guys make California look like Trumplandia with this shit. Your dealer supports your freebies or nah?
I’m open with my Porsche store, that I need to do what I need to do to develop a trusting relationship quickly to ensure a smooth transition from the guy I replaced to me. The actual cost on these items versus their retail value is minimal but they’re token gestures that go a long way.

My owner is unique. Any single employee of the dealership has the authorization to spend up to $750 to realistically satisfy a customer in a given situation and make things right without being grilled about the decision. As one of two service advisors at the dealership, I can spend up to $1500 no questions asked if I feel that’s what I need to do to make sure the next time they pick up the phone for service or sales, it’s to Porsche of The Main Line. If I need to somehow spend more than that, we probably will if we need to.

There’s a reason we’re a 10x Porsche Premier dealership in the last 11 years. Some customers have ended up with direct lines to advisors and even my shop foreman. A couple years ago, a GT2RS owner in Savannah, GA reached out to my shop foreman on a Saturday with an issue with his car 3 weeks after delivery. The car wouldn’t start due to a software fault with the intercooler sprayers, a common issue with the early cars. Josh knew of the fix, packed up a few tools and the PIWIS tester, and hopped on a flight on a Sunday morning to take care of the issue and flew back Monday morning. He was two hours late for work. The GT2RS owner may or may not have owned a sports franchise involving wooden floors.

That decision has earned us 7 figures of referral sales from that owner and his network.

It’s amazing to work at a place that gives me the liberty to do the right thing, and it sets us apart from so much of our competition.
We were authorized sometime last year to give up to $1K in sales exceptions without any management approval at our discretion. This is truly the way. I make commission, so I'm incentivized to not overuse that privilege, but it is great to not have to deal with a bunch of :bs: if I need to do that to close a deal, keep someone as a Partner, etc.
fledonfoot
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Taco Truk | Power Wheels Heep

D Griff wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 11:18 am
fledonfoot wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 11:19 pm
I forgot to reply to this.

My business card gets stapled to every invoice I print. I go over every invoice with every customer and point out my business card. I remind them to call me for their next appointment and tell them to skip the call center and ask for me directly. I also tell them to email me for an appointment so I can work it into the schedule myself. I tell them if I’m not available on the phone, I’ll get to them via email as soon as I can. I reinforce how important their business is to ME over the dealership.

When I was at my Toyota stores with a BDC I made it a point to visit the BDC every couple weeks. Once a month or so, I would stop by my BDC and say hi, bring a Box of Joe and a couple dozen donuts from Dunkin, and spend 10-15 shooting the shit and politely reminding them that when I worked with a customer last time, I want them again this time. You know… for the good of the store. I also made it a point to make sure the BDC Manager knew I was the point person for anything they needed.

For a first time customer, I will always give them something for free or a discount unprompted. At Toyota it was a car wash or a picking a coupon off the website to use without being asked. At Porsche while I’ve been building these new relationships over again, everyone gets a free set of wipers ($100) or a state inspection ($75) or a detail ($200) with their service when it’s the first time I’ve dealt with them. I tell them it’s a gift from me and I look forward to working with them moving forwards.

I’m just honest with people and don’t bullshit anyone. And tell them that I’ve got nothing to bullshit about. It is what it is, there’s going to be good visits and bad ones, and I’ll make sure they’re taken care of because we’re all adults.
What is a BDC? Business Development Center AKA call center desks?

Also, what is included in a $200 detail at Porsche? That seems like a steal compared to all of the other services there you have shared about!
BDC is a call center that handles incoming calls, schedules appointments and diverts heavy call volume away from the service desk. Scheduling appointments is a time consuming hassle at times and at high volume stores you don’t want your production employees doing menial tasks like that.

That’s part of the reason it’s hard to get to an advisor sometimes and even harder to get scheduled with one.

For this reason, regular Toyota customers of mine that spend money have been given my “cell” number which is a google voice number, with instructions to text but not call, and I’ll call or text back as I can.

Friends of the owner of my Porsche store have my direct cell number and got a transition email from me after I replaced my predecessor, with an ok to call or text at any time for any reason.

A $200 detail is a hand wash, vac, quick polish, spray wax, condition leather and windows cleaned.

$300 gets a machine polish and a hand wax.

$429 gets paint correction and wax, shampoo all carpets, etc.
HerrBerlin
Meat Patty 2nd Class
Meat Patty 2nd Class
Drives: occasionally

The new wheels and rear diffuser should be ordered by the end of the week. Still no drama at all with either dealer yet.

It's been slow moving, but it's not something I need urgently so I've just been letting Seattle :dillerman: do what he needs to do without harassing him every few days. Still find him :impressive:
wap
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue Meanie

:notbad:
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
max225
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

Still amazed that we're at a quicker pace than in 2020, and 2019 and on pace to tie 2018!
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: C5

max225 wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 4:18 pm Still amazed that we're at a quicker pace than in 2020, and 2019 and on pace to tie 2018!
All those crazy deals :lolol:
Johnny_P
Drives: Blue short bus

CaleDeRoo wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 5:27 pm
max225 wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 4:18 pm Still amazed that we're at a quicker pace than in 2020, and 2019 and on pace to tie 2018!
All those crazy deals :lolol:
I had no interest in :plac: ing but the Fraud had other plans so here we are.
Acid666
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Drives: 02 Z06/95 Meowta/05 SilveraDOE

Heres the bullshit I'm dealing with on the 245k beater. Will also need 2 new front tires due to one separating from the cords.

RLWake
Meat Patty 2nd Class
Meat Patty 2nd Class
Drives: CHEESE

Acid666 wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 1:51 am Heres the bullshit I'm dealing with on the 245k beater. Will also need 2 new front tires due to one separating from the cords.

:nope:
2010 Audi TT APR Stg1 (sold) >> 2012 BMW 335i FBO (sold) >> 2009 Miata zoom-zoom spec "Cheese" (sold) >> 2022 Hyundai Elantra N + 1999 Miata Maacover Project
Acid666

Enjoy your shitty weekend peeps.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Acid666 wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 1:51 am Heres the bullshit I'm dealing with on the 245k beater. Will also need 2 new front tires due to one separating from the cords.

Is that thing 2WD or 4WD?
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

Desertbreh wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 2:39 pm

:popcorn: :dillerman:
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
Acid666

Desertbreh wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 2:39 pm

It's both! I hastily went down a list of parts I needed and shit that came in a package with a front end kit swap, and ordered an idler and pitman arm before checking. Rockauto listed it and I was like, shit, I prolly need that. Not realizing they list everything and didn't sort by 2wd/4wd. It's only $30 extra in parts so I'll see if I can return for credit or just slap it on Craigslist or some shit for $15 for both. I just really needed the parts for this weekend so I can have the time to do it all. I've got a separated tire that's starting to wobble pretty bad so I really need those 2 tires swapped and the rest of the front end done so I can get it aligned.
Acid666

Yeah, fuck this shit. Literally spent my entire weekend working on this. 2 hours to get one of the lower control arms in (while playing teeter totter with the coil spring tensioned in), more wrong parts than I planned, and just more bending and twisting in ways my fat ass isn't designed to bend. I'm gonna feel it tomorrow. Not kidding, this is all I did this weekend on top of working 55 hours last week.

So I ordered the front swap kit, which I didn't know was actually for a "Gear" steering and I have a "Rack" steering. I just specified year and make and 2wd and this kit popped up. Turns out the difference between the gear and rack is the thread size on the tie rod. Mine's a beefy heavy duty big thread, and these came with something smaller. Got two new ones from autozone with a lifetime warranty, which I'll likely never use since the trucks at 245K miles, but hell, it's there. It's still got a wicked wobble to the right so the tires are definitely jacked. Going to order some from my buddy's shop and get it put on and aligned when they come in.

Also, we couldn't get the sway bar moved to put in the end links, and I was too tired to cut a piece of wood to a long enough length, so I just used the removed upper control arm on a jack to hit that wonky angle. Oh yeah, and I hit the jackpot with the shitty banana woody wagon magnets, but got a sweet Pikachu mixed in. That's a sign from the gods to sell my shit and get me an FD Rx7
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Oof that is rough man... I do not miss this shit and am thankful to have pretty modern cars at the moment.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

D Griff wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 12:19 pm Oof that is rough man... I do not miss this shit and am thankful to have pretty modern cars at the moment.
Yeah wow. I'd say fuck it and get a less used truck but the market price is no bueno atm
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

👀 my ambitions to own an MR2 from the nineties be like :flaccid:
Acid666

Desertbreh wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 12:28 pm
D Griff wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 12:19 pm Oof that is rough man... I do not miss this shit and am thankful to have pretty modern cars at the moment.
Yeah wow. I'd say fuck it and get a less used truck but the market price is no bueno atm
It's easy to complain, but I gotta remember that I bought this truck for $3k from a friend with 180k miles and I've pushed it to 245k with minimal work done to it.
I think the running list of what I've done was shocks, 1 new set of tires, water hose busted so I replaced it and replaced the water pump since I was in there, cam positioning sensor which is like a $30 part I think, but I changed the fuel pump thinking it was bad. And I think that's really it. Nothing else has really broken on me so far. I planning on getting the trans rebuilt by a shop when it goes bad, and have a few engine options in the $3-5K range for when this one finally bites the dust if I decide that I don't want to deal with a new truck note. So it's been a pretty solid ride so far and I could likely sell this thing for 3-5K right now since it runs and has solid ac. So a $1K bill once a year or two really isn't that big of a deal. I'm also just frugal and don't want to pay a shop shop rates to do it. Then I've got total control of the quality of the work on top of saving money.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Acid666 wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 1:14 pm

It's easy to complain, but I gotta remember that I bought this truck for $3k from a friend with 180k miles and I've pushed it to 245k with minimal work done to it.
I think the running list of what I've done was shocks, 1 new set of tires, water hose busted so I replaced it and replaced the water pump since I was in there, cam positioning sensor which is like a $30 part I think, but I changed the fuel pump thinking it was bad. And I think that's really it. Nothing else has really broken on me so far. I planning on getting the trans rebuilt by a shop when it goes bad, and have a few engine options in the $3-5K range for when this one finally bites the dust if I decide that I don't want to deal with a new truck note. So it's been a pretty solid ride so far and I could likely sell this thing for 3-5K right now since it runs and has solid ac. So a $1K bill once a year or two really isn't that big of a deal. I'm also just frugal and don't want to pay a shop shop rates to do it. Then I've got total control of the quality of the work on top of saving money.
understood on all of the above.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Oh yeah, it is absolutely the most frugal way to go and these things are pretty damn robust and reliable, it's just a headache and time consuming once in a while. If you have the time, patience, and know-how, keep it rolling and enjoy saving money and the satisfaction that you're keeping a truck out of the dump. Vent/complain away as well, I enjoy seeing the progress and wish I liked wrenching more. I love the idea of DDing a 30 year old vehicle but I just don't have the patience if I'm honest with myself.
Acid666

D Griff wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 1:33 pm

Oh yeah, it is absolutely the most frugal way to go and these things are pretty damn robust and reliable, it's just a headache and time consuming once in a while. If you have the time, patience, and know-how, keep it rolling and enjoy saving money and the satisfaction that you're keeping a truck out of the dump. Vent/complain away as well, I enjoy seeing the progress and wish I liked wrenching more. I love the idea of DDing a 30 year old vehicle but I just don't have the patience if I'm honest with myself.
My buddy that's splitting the Lemons build with me is in the same boat as me. He's got a 4-runner that just pushed 300K miles. He said he loves/hates car shit because it's cheap to keep something older on the road when it's maintained, but he, like me, bitched at the suspension work compared to his aircraft mechanic job where he's working on Helis and shit all day. "It's just so much cleaner and easy to do maintenance on that shit cuz it's designed for it".

Once the Z06 is paid off, I'll consider moving those payments into a truck or keep up with the poverty life and yearly complaining of "god damnit I gotta replace xy and z"
Oh yeah, ordered 2 new tires. $190 a piece with a 70K warranty because why not. I think it'll run me $450 mounted and balanced and whatever the alignment is. Doing overnight dropoff tonight.
ChrisoftheNorth

If decent old trucks could be had for reasonable prices, I'd pick one up to tinker with and use for utility things like hauling the boat and house shit. But any truck worth buying is $12k minimum it seems now, and at that point I'm oddly more interested in something new considering all the old vehicle :bs: I'd have to put up with.

That said, anyone in the south or west stumble upon a clean rust free 4x4 pickup of any make for at or under $10k, I'm an interested serious buyer.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: C5

Detroit wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 4:47 pm

If decent old trucks could be had for reasonable prices, I'd pick one up to tinker with and use for utility things like hauling the boat and house shit. But any truck worth buying is $12k minimum it seems now, and at that point I'm oddly more interested in something new considering all the old vehicle :bs: I'd have to put up with.

That said, anyone in the south or west stumble upon a clean rust free 4x4 pickup of any make for at or under $10k, I'm an interested serious buyer.
My friend's is still available I think. Freaking with Marketplace might have turned him off selling it though.
ChrisoftheNorth

CaleDeRoo wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 7:28 am
Detroit wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 4:47 pm

My friend's is still available I think. Freaking with Marketplace might have turned him off selling it though.
I wish it wasn't the size of an aircraft carrier, otherwise I'd probably go pick it up. Seems to be the cleanest for the price I've seen, I just really don't want a truck that huge. Though, if the price is right...

I can't imagine what it's like dealing with Marketplace people right now. :disgust: :nope:
Acid666

Detroit wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 9:29 am
CaleDeRoo wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 7:28 am

I wish it wasn't the size of an aircraft carrier, otherwise I'd probably go pick it up. Seems to be the cleanest for the price I've seen, I just really don't want a truck that huge. Though, if the price is right...

I can't imagine what it's like dealing with Marketplace people right now. :disgust: :nope:
I was looking for either Colorado to keep the size down, or another older Chevy/GMC 1500 but my god, I'm not paying $15K for something that's 5 years newer than my 2005 with 170K miles. I helped a neighbor in the apartments last weekend change out the column shifter mechanism on his F250 with a V10. He didn't know shit about working on cars so I helped him out. Getting in and out of that damn thing made me realize how much I like my Silverado that's not super tall or super big. When I was 20 and had a lifted S10 I loved that height, after getting in and out of it to move around now at 42... Fuck that. Truck is way too fucking big man. Also, popped the hood to show him where something was and the top of the engine bay was at neck level and shrouded in shit you just can't get to. So you'd have to do a damn near upsidedown flip to get into the engine bay and do any work. Today's trucks are just too god damn big