2021 :plac: life!

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Hooptie Crotchfruit Carrier

Detroit wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 1:50 pm
Apex wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 1:48 pm It’s not hard to build a relationship with your dealer/SA, and can be done within the first visit.

I’m clearly :wrong: doe.
Well, I've had difficulty getting the same SA after the first visit. Sure you can start relationshit building with the first visit, but it doesn't mean anything if you can't see the same person again.
I would always call or email my SA at VW directly when I had my MK6 and was having it serviced at the dealer. Never had a problem getting the same dude. :iono:

He left the dealershit, though, and I moved onto that indy life.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

I think its fair to say the group experience varies widely. So there is no :wrong: Every SA I have had at BMW is frankly a complete chowderhead about cars so I have no interest in :building a relationship: with any of them. They seem like they have just as much experience making a burrito at Chipotle as servicing cars. Congrats to all you other guys who have fled type SAs. I no longer own a car in warranty so the last trip to a dealership I will likely make is in August, when it appears I need a brake fluid change for the BMW. What I really want is another factory battery, which I will get at the same time. I am now at 4.5 years on the original BMW battery, which is 1.5 years longer than any other battery I have ever owned in the desert. Also there is some sort of B.S. about needing to code the battery, which seems retarded to me but whatever.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
HerrBerlin
Meat Patty 2nd Class
Meat Patty 2nd Class
Drives: occasionally

I've never had a relationship with a SA before so this may be the first time for me.

I rarely need to go in for service, but I imagine it can't hurt to have some positive notes on you as a customer in their CRM. There's no doubt that some dealerships will prioritize things like loaners for people they like/have a relationship with.
Irish
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Drives: '12 GIT (190K!)- 2011 Outie A5

HerrBerlin wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 12:53 pm
max225 wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 6:24 am

It’s interesting in my 48 months of bmw joy. I must have had just about 5 or 6 different SAs. Different one for each visit. And no one knew who I was or gave a S. So I think it really depends on the size of the dealership.

At mini for ex there are always the same two dudes and I’m sure it would go much further in a smaller place
I've had the same experience with every car I've ever had that was serviced at dealers in that they didn't know who I was.

For this Honda dealer though, I imagine the person I'm working with would easily remember me as the dude with a weird situation with a bright blue Hype R, especially if I go out of my way to thank him in a cool way.

Does it really matter though? Probably not, but he deserves the credit he's going to get assuming the car gets fixed with no drama regardless of what it does for me down the road.
FWIW I was talking about giving the shipper dude the accolades..... because without his thorough inspection, you'd likely be pounding sand....

The dealer gets paid by VW corporate for the repairs/replacements right? If so, it was in their best interests to agree.....
HerrBerlin
Meat Patty 2nd Class
Meat Patty 2nd Class
Drives: occasionally

Irish wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 3:02 pm
HerrBerlin wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 12:53 pm

I've had the same experience with every car I've ever had that was serviced at dealers in that they didn't know who I was.

For this Honda dealer though, I imagine the person I'm working with would easily remember me as the dude with a weird situation with a bright blue Hype R, especially if I go out of my way to thank him in a cool way.

Does it really matter though? Probably not, but he deserves the credit he's going to get assuming the car gets fixed with no drama regardless of what it does for me down the road.
FWIW I was talking about giving the shipper dude the accolades..... because without his thorough inspection, you'd likely be pounding sand....

The dealer gets paid by VW corporate for the repairs/replacements right? If so, it was in their best interests to agree.....
Ah, gotcha. Shipper was a one man show/company that got my request through a broker. Hadn't thought about writing a review for him but I should now that you mention it.

Nope, the damage wasn't reported to Honda within 48 hours of delivery from the factory so the selling dealer is liable for the damage. Local dealer though will get paid for fixing it, so it is in their interest to help but I still expected an uphill battle.
wap
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue Meanie

Apex wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 1:48 pm It’s not hard to build a relationship with your dealer/SA, and can be done within the first visit.

:dat:
Agreed. A good SA will also remember you from just an annual visit (or at least fake it).
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
wap

Apex wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 2:03 pm
Detroit wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 1:50 pm
Well, I've had difficulty getting the same SA after the first visit. Sure you can start relationshit building with the first visit, but it doesn't mean anything if you can't see the same person again.
I think it’s only been one time in the last few vehicles I’ve had where I couldn’t see my preferred SA? #foreverwrong
Nah man. I've had the same guy now going back to the last 2-3 years of my Mk6. Probably 4-5 visits now.
Apex
Drives: Abominable

wap wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 4:16 pm

I think it’s only been one time in the last few vehicles I’ve had where I couldn’t see my preferred SA? #foreverwrong
Nah man. I've had the same guy now going back to the last 2-3 years of my Mk6. Probably 4-5 visits now.
:mahman:
wap

Desertbreh wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 2:15 pm I think its fair to say the group experience varies widely. So there is no :wrong: Every SA I have had at BMW is frankly a complete chowderhead about cars so I have no interest in :building a relationship: with any of them. They seem like they have just as much experience making a burrito at Chipotle as servicing cars. Congrats to all you other guys who have fled type SAs. I no longer own a car in warranty so the last trip to a dealership I will likely make is in August, when it appears I need a brake fluid change for the BMW. What I really want is another factory battery, which I will get at the same time. I am now at 4.5 years on the original BMW battery, which is 1.5 years longer than any other battery I have ever owned in the desert. Also there is some sort of B.S. about needing to code the battery, which seems retarded to me but whatever.
Well, I wouldn't go THAT far. :lol:
troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Trek Domane

I don't know if I've ever even been to the same dealership (for service) twice, let alone the same "advisor" - :plac:

I did take the mazderp to the local :dillerman: on Monday to finally get the touchscreen replaced. No idea which person I was supposed to be "building a relationship" with nor how the fuck I would do that...

I made an appointment online. I called to confirm a couple of things and talked to one guy. When I showed up, a second guy greeted me and took me to a counter where a third guy checked me in. Then I left and rode my bike for a few hours. Meanwhile a fourth guy texted me to upsell me some service items which I declined. When I returned, a 5th guy had me sign some papers and pulled the car around for me.

None of them introduced themselves or made any attempts at any kind of conversation. Which one was I supposed to give the masked blowjob?
troyguitar
Drives: Trek Domane

Looking at the paperwork, apparently my advisor was Marlena. I definitely never spoke with her, unless one of the dudes there identifies as Marlena. :ohwell:

Edit: I lied. Marlena was the one who texted me to upsell stuff. Guess I should have sent her some dick pics?
Irish

I took my :mk6: in for warranty service twice.... they gave me a loaner Jetta loaner both times.... I got two waterpumps and an intake done and they gave me zero shit about the tune....

Thats the dealer that my son later worked at.....

I went to a dealer closer to work after warranty not only did I not get a loaner but they raped me for injectors and a carbon clean..... i really felt they double charged for the labor to take the top of the engine off....
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

troyguitar wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 5:15 pm Looking at the paperwork, apparently my advisor was Marlena. I definitely never spoke with her, unless one of the dudes there identifies as Marlena. :ohwell:

Edit: I lied. Marlena was the one who texted me to upsell stuff. Guess I should have sent her some dick pics?
You and I are just not really the people this matters too. I’ve owned the Corvette seven years, took it to a dealer one time because I needed something “coded” with a tech II tool and they were the only ones that could do it. It’s been to Indy shops three times, all other service was driveway spec. The Jeep has needed no warranty work in 21k miles and just gets the free oil changes. The people last time tried to screw my wife on some :bs: up charge “services required”.

That said, I think rewarding anyone for above and beyond service is commendable. This Seattle Honda dealer really went after getting his car taken care of even after he bought it somewhere else, and that is cool. I would absolutely go back there and absolutely try to do something nice for them, like positive reviews/emailing bosses. Similarly I will tip above 20% if a server is awesome/gives me a free drink/whatever.
razr390
Drives: MK7.5 on 87

Irish wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 8:02 pm I took my :mk6: in for warranty service twice.... they gave me a loaner Jetta loaner both times.... I got two waterpumps and an intake done and they gave me zero shit about the tune....

I went to a dealer closer to work after warranty not only did I not get a loaner but they raped me for injectors and a carbon clean..... i really felt they double charged for the labor to take the top of the engine off....
How much did they charge you for that job, if you don't mind my asking?
:doughnut: :narc: :doughnut:
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:05 pm DFD. The forum where everybody makes the same choices and then tells anybody trying to join the club that they are the stupidest motherfucker to ever walk the earth.
haleyann
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer
Drives: Forester & Fiata

I’m excited to have an Audi now, since I can go back to the VW shop I love. The service advisor there is awesome, we follow each other on IG, definitely :woodplow: if he was single. But hey a girl can dream.
Irish

razr390 wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 1:59 am
Irish wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 8:02 pm I took my :mk6: in for warranty service twice.... they gave me a loaner Jetta loaner both times.... I got two waterpumps and an intake done and they gave me zero shit about the tune....

How much did they charge you for that job, if you don't mind my asking?
IIRC it was $1100.
fledonfoot
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Taco Truk | Power Wheels Heep

Detroit wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 1:07 pm
fledonfoot wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 7:39 am

I was one of 14 SA’s at my old Toyota store. I just put a little bit of effort in to take care of people and they came back to me.
Just curious how they come back?

Did customers specifically call you and ask for an appt?

Whenever I schedule an appt to bring a vehicle in, it's just a crap shoot of who I end up with. I got a good SA once, called to bring the vehicle asking for him, got there and he was "too busy" for me so they just passed me off on someone else. I don't understand how you can build a relationship with someone when they're treated as interchangeable and I don't want to stand around waiting for my preferred SA to not be busy. "Appointments" from my experience are completely worthless for the customer.
I forgot to reply to this.

My business card gets stapled to every invoice I print. I go over every invoice with every customer and point out my business card. I remind them to call me for their next appointment and tell them to skip the call center and ask for me directly. I also tell them to email me for an appointment so I can work it into the schedule myself. I tell them if I’m not available on the phone, I’ll get to them via email as soon as I can. I reinforce how important their business is to ME over the dealership.

When I was at my Toyota stores with a BDC I made it a point to visit the BDC every couple weeks. Once a month or so, I would stop by my BDC and say hi, bring a Box of Joe and a couple dozen donuts from Dunkin, and spend 10-15 shooting the shit and politely reminding them that when I worked with a customer last time, I want them again this time. You know… for the good of the store. I also made it a point to make sure the BDC Manager knew I was the point person for anything they needed.

For a first time customer, I will always give them something for free or a discount unprompted. At Toyota it was a car wash or a picking a coupon off the website to use without being asked. At Porsche while I’ve been building these new relationships over again, everyone gets a free set of wipers ($100) or a state inspection ($75) or a detail ($200) with their service when it’s the first time I’ve dealt with them. I tell them it’s a gift from me and I look forward to working with them moving forwards.

I’m just honest with people and don’t bullshit anyone. And tell them that I’ve got nothing to bullshit about. It is what it is, there’s going to be good visits and bad ones, and I’ll make sure they’re taken care of because we’re all adults.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

fledonfoot wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 11:19 pm

Whenever I schedule an appt to bring a vehicle in, it's just a crap shoot of who I end up with. I got a good SA once, called to bring the vehicle asking for him, got there and he was "too busy" for me so they just passed me off on someone else. I don't understand how you can build a relationship with someone when they're treated as interchangeable and I don't want to stand around waiting for my preferred SA to not be busy. "Appointments" from my experience are completely worthless for the customer.

My business card gets stapled to every invoice I print. I go over every invoice with every customer and point out my business card. I remind them to call me for their next appointment and tell them to skip the call center and ask for me directly. I also tell them to email me for an appointment so I can work it into the schedule myself. I tell them if I’m not available on the phone, I’ll get to them via email as soon as I can. I reinforce how important their business is to ME over the dealership.

When I was at my Toyota stores with a BDC I made it a point to visit the BDC every couple weeks. Once a month or so, I would stop by my BDC and say hi, bring a Box of Joe and a couple dozen donuts from Dunkin, and spend 10-15 shooting the shit and politely reminding them that when I worked with a customer last time, I want them again this time. You know… for the good of the store. I also made it a point to make sure the BDC Manager knew I was the point person for anything they needed.

For a first time customer, I will always give them something for free or a discount unprompted. At Toyota it was a car wash or a picking a coupon off the website to use without being asked. At Porsche while I’ve been building these new relationships over again, everyone gets a free set of wipers ($100) or a state inspection ($75) or a detail ($200) with their service when it’s the first time I’ve dealt with them. I tell them it’s a gift from me and I look forward to working with them moving forwards.

I’m just honest with people and don’t bullshit anyone. And tell them that I’ve got nothing to bullshit about. It is what it is, there’s going to be good visits and bad ones, and I’ll make sure they’re taken care of because we’re all adults.
You PA guys make California look like Trumplandia with this shit. Your dealer supports your freebies or nah?
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
max225
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

Detroit wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 2:06 pm

It actually seems like I'm the :wrong: one.
No. The forum is semi split on the issue. Half of us couldn’t give a shit less about the service advisors trying to push a $799 injector cleaning “service” every 10k miles, while the other half invites them on their honeymoon.
fledonfoot
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Desertbreh wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 11:32 pm

You PA guys make California look like Trumplandia with this shit. Your dealer supports your freebies or nah?
I’m open with my Porsche store, that I need to do what I need to do to develop a trusting relationship quickly to ensure a smooth transition from the guy I replaced to me. The actual cost on these items versus their retail value is minimal but they’re token gestures that go a long way.

My owner is unique. Any single employee of the dealership has the authorization to spend up to $750 to realistically satisfy a customer in a given situation and make things right without being grilled about the decision. As one of two service advisors at the dealership, I can spend up to $1500 no questions asked if I feel that’s what I need to do to make sure the next time they pick up the phone for service or sales, it’s to Porsche of The Main Line. If I need to somehow spend more than that, we probably will if we need to.

There’s a reason we’re a 10x Porsche Premier dealership in the last 11 years. Some customers have ended up with direct lines to advisors and even my shop foreman. A couple years ago, a GT2RS owner in Savannah, GA reached out to my shop foreman on a Saturday with an issue with his car 3 weeks after delivery. The car wouldn’t start due to a software fault with the intercooler sprayers, a common issue with the early cars. Josh knew of the fix, packed up a few tools and the PIWIS tester, and hopped on a flight on a Sunday morning to take care of the issue and flew back Monday morning. He was two hours late for work. The GT2RS owner may or may not have owned a sports franchise involving wooden floors.

That decision has earned us 7 figures of referral sales from that owner and his network.

It’s amazing to work at a place that gives me the liberty to do the right thing, and it sets us apart from so much of our competition.
fledonfoot
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

wap wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 4:15 pm

:dat:
Agreed. A good SA will also remember you from just an annual visit (or at least fake it).
And yes, faking it is absolutely part of the gig. That’s why I leave notes.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

There's a reason you're so successful in this field. I've never once had an experience like this. SAs barely tell me their name let alone give me their business card and tell to contact them for anything. I'm treated like a commodity and have no reason to treat them differently.

It might be my geographic region and always owning local products. Bringing in lease vehicles for free service or warranty work is probably a waste of their time and they figure I'll never come back with anything more lucrative for them. Short sighted, but it's the only thing I can figure.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

What is a BDC? Business Development Center AKA call center desks?

Also, what is included in a $200 detail at Porsche? That seems like a steal compared to all of the other services there you have shared about!
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

D Griff wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 11:18 am

What is a BDC? Business Development Center AKA call center desks?

Also, what is included in a $200 detail at Porsche? That seems like a steal compared to all of the other services there you have shared about!
Business Development Center is indeed just a call center for dealerships. They schedule service appts and handle sales leads.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Detroit wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 10:02 am

There's a reason you're so successful in this field. I've never once had an experience like this. SAs barely tell me their name let alone give me their business card and tell to contact them for anything. I'm treated like a commodity and have no reason to treat them differently.

It might be my geographic region and always owning local products. Bringing in lease vehicles for free service or warranty work is probably a waste of their time and they figure I'll never come back with anything more lucrative for them. Short sighted, but it's the only thing I can figure.
We had a really awesome guy at Honda (mostly my parents with their Odyssey, but I took my Civic a couple of times). He was a family friend of sorts, so a bit different, but I observed him providing the 'Fled treatment' to others as well, and he did well for himself for it. He was 'truly exceptional', which they all tell you to say they are, but very few actually achieve this status.