2021 :plac: life!

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

max225 wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 3:11 pm
Detroit wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 3:08 pm
That was the idea behind the thing...to make a sporty looking and feeling CUV. Which I think it achieves. The trend just isn't toward street performance anymore and ZOMG BRONCO FIGHTER FAIL really tarnished the "Blazer" brand.

Should have just called it a Camaro like Ford did with the Mach-E.
I'd like to point out that there is not a single sporty CUV that is "successful" and point to "off road focused" suvs that are logging record sales.

Wrangler
Bronco
4R
Even defender
F150Raptor
Ram TRX
Trd PRO

are some of the highest in demand vehicles today. I think Blazer is a missed off road opportunity (regardless of this car in question which I am sure does the job well).
Well, the Explorer ST sells really well, it's like 20% of the Explorer sales mix when I checked earlier this year. So there is a market for these things, it's just completely overshadowed by off-roaders.

GM had a real off-roader designed. It was based on the next Colorado/Canyon and it was epic. I saw full-scale models, the thing would have decimated...it was basically a GM 4Runner with a 2.7 and 10 speed. But it was cancelled to bring more EVs to market (seriously, and it was a big reason I left the company at the time).
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
ChrisoftheNorth

Devilchrono wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 3:14 pm
D Griff wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 1:29 pm Yep, the Blazer seems like a decent vehicle. :notsure: why people care, most names are taken, they owned Blazer, it's got some equity. This thing is a Camaro inspired CUV which is :neat: if you're a car person and really need a CUV for whatever reason (like family in this case).
Yup. I like the name and the old Blazers for sure; but I knew what I was getting when I bought it. If I’d wanted, or needed, a big body on frame, off-road capable suv, I’d have bought one.

People get so caught up on the names and/or past of a name and can’t just appreciate things for what they are.
SO MUCH :dat:

:whocares: what it's called, the vehicle is the vehicle. Especially the Blazer. It's a great size, the C1 platform is really nice and premium feeling, and the 2.0 has plenty of guts.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Detroit wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 3:25 pm

I'd like to point out that there is not a single sporty CUV that is "successful" and point to "off road focused" suvs that are logging record sales.

Wrangler
Bronco
4R
Even defender
F150Raptor
Ram TRX
Trd PRO

are some of the highest in demand vehicles today. I think Blazer is a missed off road opportunity (regardless of this car in question which I am sure does the job well).
Well, the Explorer ST sells really well, it's like 20% of the Explorer sales mix when I checked earlier this year. So there is a market for these things, it's just completely overshadowed by off-roaders.

GM had a real off-roader designed. It was based on the next Colorado/Canyon and it was epic. I saw full-scale models, the thing would have decimated...it was basically a GM 4Runner with a 2.7 and 10 speed. But it was cancelled to bring more EVs to market (seriously, and it was a big reason I left the company at the time).
Lots of these in commiefornia, and I look at them with a begrudging :notbad: when I see them. Owning an explorer used to be almost mini vanesque in seppuku worthiness, 400 hp changes all that.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
Devilchrono
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class
Drives: 22’ Chevy Blazer

Detroit wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 3:26 pm
Devilchrono wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 3:14 pm

Yup. I like the name and the old Blazers for sure; but I knew what I was getting when I bought it. If I’d wanted, or needed, a big body on frame, off-road capable suv, I’d have bought one.

People get so caught up on the names and/or past of a name and can’t just appreciate things for what they are.

:whocares: what it's called, the vehicle is the vehicle. Especially the Blazer. It's a great size, the C1 platform is really nice and premium feeling, and the 2.0 has plenty of guts.
I’m not wanting to beat on it much yet, it’s only got 120 miles on it, but sport mode is fun and my son likes the ‘growl’ the exhaust makes when I get one it, he chuckles and says it’s angry.

I think they knew their market and went after it. It might not sell as well as the explorer, but I like it just as well and it’s a better bang for the buck option than they are at this point.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

Devilchrono wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 3:56 pm

I’m not wanting to beat on it much yet, it’s only got 120 miles on it, but sport mode is fun and my son likes the ‘growl’ the exhaust makes when I get one it, he chuckles and says it’s angry.

I think they knew their market and went after it. It might not sell as well as the explorer, but I like it just as well and it’s a better bang for the buck option than they are at this point.
IMO they look a lot better than the Explorer. 400 hp or not, I have a hard time seeing an Explorer and not immediately thinking of a mom who thinks she too cool for a :minivan:
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

Camry is scheduled to arrive 1/29-2/08, a little reminder from the Aar that nothing is made to last forever. I'll probably connect my ross-tech and scan this tomorrow to see what it needs.

I did my homework, and will be throwing the original tail lights back on, curious to see what i can sell these Euros with harness for. I'll probably pay a muffler shop to switch the exhaust back to stock :doe: , I just don't feel like climbing under the car and predict that anything with clamps is rusted solid. The Remus should fetch a decent buck or two.

razr390
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: MK7.5 on 87

Tarspin wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 4:35 pm Camry is scheduled to arrive 1/29-2/08, a little reminder from the Aar that nothing is made to last forever. I'll probably connect my ross-tech and scan this tomorrow to see what it needs.

I did my homework, and will be throwing the original tail lights back on, curious to see what i can sell these Euros with harness for. I'll probably pay a muffler shop to switch the exhaust back to stock :doe: , I just don't feel like climbing under the car and predict that anything with clamps is rusted solid. The Remus should fetch a decent buck or two.

CEL is emissions related. First check the code but it would probably be:

1. Spark plugs
2. Ignition coils
3. Fuel injectors

Somewhere in that realm
:doughnut: :narc: :doughnut:
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:05 pm DFD. The forum where everybody makes the same choices and then tells anybody trying to join the club that they are the stupidest motherfucker to ever walk the earth.
ChrisoftheNorth

2 row "smaller" mid size SUVs are really an ideal size for most people. Blazer, Acadia, Edge (which I think is RIP), Grand Cherokee, 4Runner, Venza, Passport, etc I think will grow in popularity now that 3-row examples are basically the new minivan. If you don't NEED a 3rd row, they're really great options for a more maneuverable and better looking vehicle that still have a ton of usable space inside.
ChrisoftheNorth

Tarspin wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 4:35 pm Camry is scheduled to arrive 1/29-2/08, a little reminder from the Aar that nothing is made to last forever. I'll probably connect my ross-tech and scan this tomorrow to see what it needs.

Camry must be built locally so they have more fidelity on delivery time. Today is the first day I got an actual ETA for the 4R, and it's 2 weeks away.
wap
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue Meanie

razr390 wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 5:07 pm

1. Spark plugs
2. Ignition coils
3. Fuel injectors

Somewhere in that realm
Or even a loose gas cap.
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
wap

Wrangler
Bronco
4R
Even defender
F150Raptor
Ram TRX
Trd PRO

:mindblown: :|
Devilchrono
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class
Drives: 22’ Chevy Blazer

Detroit wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 5:08 pm

2 row "smaller" mid size SUVs are really an ideal size for most people. Blazer, Acadia, Edge (which I think is RIP), Grand Cherokee, 4Runner, Venza, Passport, etc I think will grow in popularity now that 3-row examples are basically the new minivan. If you don't NEED a 3rd row, they're really great options for a more maneuverable and better looking vehicle that still have a ton of usable space inside.
I read the Edge is dead, and after being in them (mom had 2) it’s long passed due honestly.

We have the Traverse for the 3rd row and I didn’t really want a 2nd 3 row vehicle, which brought me to the Blazer. It really fits everything I need and I’m happy with it.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

wap wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 5:13 pm
razr390 wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 5:07 pm

1. Spark plugs
2. Ignition coils
3. Fuel injectors

Somewhere in that realm
Or even a loose gas cap.
That's an easy one, I'll have a look but I am :notsure:
wap

Tarspin wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 6:10 pm
wap wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 5:13 pm

Or even a loose gas cap.
Never know. Sometimes it's the simplest, stupidest things, right? :lol:
It happened to me once on my 'Rocco, that's how I know. :derp:
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

wap wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 6:13 pm
Tarspin wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 6:10 pm

I got a CEL on the Beemah last week... turns out I forgot to put the oil fill cap back on after changing the erl the day before :wtf: :disappoint: :derp:
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Detroit wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 5:09 pm

Camry must be built locally so they have more fidelity on delivery time. Today is the first day I got an actual ETA for the 4R, and it's 2 weeks away.
Dealer thinks the time-lines won't change too much, I'm ok with end of Jan, beginning of Feb but I'll probably be paying that $0.20 / km of depreciation by then, since I'm only 500km away from the 149k kms they set trade value to. I'm considering the mileage charge a small rental fee, and who knows I'll probably post the car up privately for the last two weeks of ownership and see if i can get more cash back that way. My wife and i have been trading cars, and I've been driving the Touareg for longer distances... But she does state her discontent with the arrangement, so the sooner, the better.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

D Griff wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 6:18 pm

I got a CEL on the Beemah last week... turns out I forgot to put the oil fill cap back on after changing the erl the day before :wtf: :disappoint: :derp:
No real change point to report, but it could be shitty gas. :aintcare: as long as it's easily cleared... and if not I'll file a warranty fix with my :fancy: extended coverage.
max225
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

Did you lose the cap? Where was it? :wtf:
max225

Wrangler
Bronco
4R
Even defender
F150Raptor
Ram TRX
Trd PRO

It was low hanging fruit. Whoever did that call is an absolute moron.. then again I don't know how it would compete with the Bronco/Wrangler. I am assuming this is more of a 4R competitor.

The only way to "survive" for an OEM now is to make EVs + fun Off roads/performance vehicles to drive margins.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

max225 wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 6:59 pm

Did you lose the cap? Where was it? :wtf:
Sitting in the engine bay where I left it :lolol:

Made a bit of a mess though… :derp:
ChrisoftheNorth

max225 wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 7:01 pm

It was low hanging fruit. Whoever did that call is an absolute moron.. then again I don't know how it would compete with the Bronco/Wrangler. I am assuming this is more of a 4R competitor.

The only way to "survive" for an OEM now is to make EVs + fun Off roads/performance vehicles to drive margins.
It was going to be a ZR2 with a 4Runner body...it even looked very similar, just with a GMC badge :whocares: . Would have been the American answer to the 4Runner, which is really all by itself because the Wrangler and Bronco go after top off unrefinement.

I'm sure someone is kicking themselves in hindsight...it would be launching this spring into one of the hottest markets ever for such a vehicle. I remember the all persons meeting with the executive chief engineer when he announced it was dead, he looked more angry than the rest of us. The excuse given at the time, which I later learned was true was "more capital is needed for EV development, and such a vehicle couldn't be justified with its hit to CAFE and GHG".

I remember griping at the time that the thing would PRINT money while whatever POD GM was developing instead would lose money for years.

I'm still mad about it. It was awesome, and I'd probably be waiting right now to buy one if it was still a thing.

Somehow Toyota still makes a case for the 4R, unless it won't end up seeing a real 6th gen, which I think is possible. Small body on frame SUVs are MAJOR hits to CAFE and GHG because crossovers with the same or better footprint are WAY more efficient.

.gov ruining everything fun again.
max225

Detroit wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 7:56 pm
max225 wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 7:01 pm

It was going to be a ZR2 with a 4Runner body...it even looked very similar, just with a GMC badge :whocares: . Would have been the American answer to the 4Runner, which is really all by itself because the Wrangler and Bronco go after top off unrefinement.

I'm sure someone is kicking themselves in hindsight...it would be launching this spring into one of the hottest markets ever for such a vehicle. I remember the all persons meeting with the executive chief engineer when he announced it was dead, he looked more angry than the rest of us. The excuse given at the time, which I later learned was true was "more capital is needed for EV development, and such a vehicle couldn't be justified with its hit to CAFE and GHG".

I remember griping at the time that the thing would PRINT money while whatever POD GM was developing instead would lose money for years.

I'm still mad about it. It was awesome, and I'd probably be waiting right now to buy one if it was still a thing.

Somehow Toyota still makes a case for the 4R, unless it won't end up seeing a real 6th gen, which I think is possible. Small body on frame SUVs are MAJOR hits to CAFE and GHG because crossovers with the same or better footprint are WAY more efficient.

.gov ruining everything fun again.
I think given all the ev's in the pipeline there will be more and more room for shit mpg. because you're essentially cancelling out an entire vehicle. I.e get 1 Shit mpg 15 suv and 1 infiniti MPG EV and you have a 30 mpg vehicle right? So There will be a solid pocket for gas guzzlers in the future which I am sure will be taxed... because reasons.

Toyota makes the case for a 4R because toyota doesn't change shit and seems to be super frugal in capital expenditures. Look at their entire line up... even now.. the new Tundy is going to be a parts platform, used on the sequoia Land Cruiser and who knows what else WW ... first new one in 10 years which means they were developing it for 5+... pre pod life.. The 4R has likely been under development just as long.
wap

:fuckyeah: :derp:
fledonfoot
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Taco Truk | Power Wheels Heep

Next gen 4Runner is coming with a Prime plug in hybrid electric model in the mix.

The ever delayed wait for the BZ4X electric range only helps keep the thirsty truck fleet around.
max225

fledonfoot wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 9:35 pm Next gen 4Runner is coming with a Prime plug in hybrid electric model in the mix.

The ever delayed wait for the BZ4X electric range only helps keep the thirsty truck fleet around.
I’m both :fuckyeah: and :disgust: at plugins. They make so much sense and yet they also do not.